Thunar-like file manager in Puppy Linux 32?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

CloisteredNeuron

Thunar-like file manager in Puppy Linux 32?

Post by CloisteredNeuron »

One problem I'm having with Puppy is rox-filer. I'm used to a more typical file manager like Thunar or Windows File Explorer.

Is there a Thunar-like file manager in Puppy Linux 32?

CloisteredNeuron

Re: Thunar-like file manager in Puppy Linux 32?

I didn't find a Thunar-like file manager in Puppy Linux 32 but I did install Puppy on a VirtualBox VM and was able to install Thunar. Now let's see if I can get Puppy Linux 32 installed on a flash drive :D

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

Which Puppy did you choose? I ask because peebee has put together an assortment of Puppys that can use LXDE, which has PCManFM file manager.
I use a couple of these, mainly Slackware based, but also an older Arch based. Peebee's Pups use an "ydrv.sfs" to load LXDE. Might look aound
the forum for discussions about that, for your older Dell may need an older Pup, like the ArchPup32 I have, available from Allies Internet Archive link
in the forum here https://archive.org/details/puppylinux. If the chosen Pup you have is even older, may take a bit of trial and error,
as in sometimes I was able to use the ydrv by renaming it to like lxde.sfs and loading it using the menu item "load/unload sfs". But again, that
will depend on the Puppy you are attempting to utilize.
WIz

Signature available upon request

CloisteredNeuron

Thanks for your response, Wiz :D

I installed the newest 32-BIT version I could find at distrowatch. Distribution Release: Puppy Linux 22.12 (S15Pup32-22.12%2B1-T.iso). distrowatch parm newsid=11706. I definitely need to dive into the forums for more info on these variant puppys. Do you know of resources on how to create a puppy variant? I have a S15Pup32-22.12 running in a VM with Thunar. It would be great if I could create a puppy variant and store it uncompressed on a DVD.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Look at the different ways to remaster the system using the tools provided or available

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

To try the LXDE desktop for S15Pup32 start here viewtopic.php?p=74126#p74126 Note...after downloading the LXDE ydrv, to
automatically load at S15Pup32 bootup, copy it to your S15Pup32 directory/folder,
then rename by removing the leading LXDE_ , which leaves a file named adrv_XXX.sfs
Then reboot your Pup!
Wiz

Signature available upon request

CloisteredNeuron

Thank you Wiz :D

My system is from 2004 with Pentium 4 2.8Ghz processor so if LXDE is lighter weight than the stock GUI that would be good.

On a VM install of Puppy Linux 32 I did a whereis S15Pup32 from / but didn't find it. I'll take a look at the link you shared :D

CloisteredNeuron

I discovered Puppy Linux has a built-in filemanger called MMview, so Thunar is not required. Go Puppy :thumbup2:

During the flash drive install process I learned a lot about Puppy save files which can be swapped out with the grub config pfix=ram.

And the S15Pup32 I previously did not find was in /mnt/home/pup1/s15pup32save-pupsave on my VM.

Return to “Beginners Help”