What desktop environment or window manager does Puppy Linux use by default?

Moderator: Forum moderators

Manessa

What desktop environment or window manager does Puppy Linux use by default?

Post by Manessa »

Hello again everyone. I am also learning the first steps in Linux. And the question is, what desktop environment or window manager does Puppy Linux use?

williwaw

Re: What desktop environment or window manager does Puppy Linux use by default?

Post by williwaw »

Manessa wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:00 pm

Hello again everyone. I am also learning the first steps in Linux. And the question is, what desktop environment or window manager does Puppy Linux use?

Hi, Manessa
which puppy are you using?

Keef

Post by Keef »

I'm not entirely convinced an answer is required. But maybe my 'A.I. radar' is getting a bit excitable. Who knows.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @Manessa :welcome:

Sounds like you may be a Computer Science student or just new wanting to learn how Linux distros behave.

In any event, I offer this in an effort to allow you to focus as your question is a good one. DEs come with much built-in prepackages and service and WMs affect what/how things emerge on-screen and behind the scenes, both, to assist user's in appearance and use.

This Puppy Linux Discussion Forum (PLDF) community offers various areas containing multiple distros with each distro having its own flavor/flare associated. There is NO consistency and only a few that "might" be termed official as they are listed on Distrowatch.

One of this forum's area which indirectly 'tries' to articulate DEs and WMs is the Kennel Linux (KL) area of this forum. It is one of the most modern of the forum as it seems to focus on moving from a traditionalist model to a current model of offering in their effort to future proof distros design for current PCs as well as those moving forward in technology. Some of those are offering X11 DEs/WMs while others are offering Wayland WMs (I expect Wayland DEs will soon follow).

KLs are here on the forum.

Puppy distros, found here on the forum, offer a myriad of DE/WM distros with one of its subarea offering modern Wayland WMs; namely 'Vanilla'.

Then there are other areas I refer to as DOGs because of their robustness as these are non-traditional approaches to building distros. Yet they offer various X11 solutions for user usage...perfectly useful too.

I hope this info helps you understand this PLDF better. Each area is very useful and the membership is helpful in their efforts to assist, report, and improve the overall experiences we all have in Linux distro use.

Enjoy as you, too, will become helpful as a member of the community.

P.S. Is there a specific DE/WM you have your eye on?

IdfbAn

Post by IdfbAn »

Manessa wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:00 pm

Most Puppies, including BookwormPup64 use JWM (Joe's Window Manager) with the ROX-Filer file manager.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

ditto what IdfbAn wrote. But I'd add not JWM OOTB. A few use p-theming, but most use radky's enhancements. Both provide the User the choice of having more than one panel and whether or not to have desktop launchers. Bookworm uses rady's. It's on the Desktop submenu and it's use very intuitive.
Although it is difficult to change from having rox as default file-manager, it is easy to install the very light-weight dual-pane with optional tree view XFF (there's no 'c') via Puppy's Package Manager which can than be used for most file management tasks.

Return to “BookwormPup”