BookwormPup64 10.0.6

Moderator: Forum moderators

fr-ke

Re: BookwormPup64 10.0.6

Post by fr-ke »

@rerwin
Update: Possibly not important, the interfaces eth0 and eth1 are recognized/displayed as Type wireless in frisbee-2.0.2.

Attachments
ScreenshotFb2.0.2-NW-Type.png
ScreenshotFb2.0.2-NW-Type.png (41.21 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

This distribution does not run for me on an ntfs partition. Any reason for this?

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@amethyst - I use syslinux bootloader, but as per pic below, have it running on ntfs.

oz_bwpup_ntfs.png
oz_bwpup_ntfs.png (295.65 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

amethyst wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:48 am

This distribution does not run for me on an ntfs partition. Any reason for this?

What is the exact install setup?

What exactly do you see if you try to boot it?

What is the computer specs?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

I have one of this big external usb harddrives. I can only get it to boot from the ntfs partition (which it came out with) and the operating systems must also be on this partition otherwise it doesn't work. I have Fossa96-CE and Bionic 32 booting from it but Bookworm for some reason does not. This thing is so sensitive, I can't for example add another distribution and add the entry to menu.lst, it won't boot (no matter what OS I try). I can't change a distributions kernel either. Actually, any change to menu.lst and I get an error. Think I'm just going to give up on Bookworm on this harddrive. Must be the drive then because I see it works on ozsouth's ntfs partition. BTW - I do have Bookworm on my laptop on an ext3 partition but dual-booting with Windows from an ntfs partition with Grub4Dos as bootloader so I don't think it's a bootloader issue.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I have seen all kinds of stuff already on a drive, that the manufacture puts on it.
They usually setup external drives for just storing data on.

For booting installed operating systems.

If this drive is that sensitive to doing anything on it.

I suggest that something in wrong with it's complete setup.

You do not tell us the size of it.

But this is what I do with any new drives I get.

Start over with how they are setup.
Make a new partition table so anything that is on it is gone. (if using Grub4dos boot loader) make it msdos type partition table.
Make one small 1st partition formatted fat32, flagged boot, esp
The rest of drive one or more partition(s) with at least one formatted ext 3 or 4 for Puppy frugal installs.
1st partition is where the boot loader is placed.

The 1st partition is always seen as the boot partition and the location to find the boot loader.
The boot loader menu config file )menu.lst) will have the info on where the OS is on the other partition(s).

Do a operating system Puppy frugal install on 2nd or other partition.
Run Grub4dos Config program.
Tell it to install on 1st partition and select search only this drive for installed OS's.
That should give you a working boot menu when you boot with the drive.

Do a new Puppy version frugal install and rerun Grub4dos Config, to update the boot menu, with entry for new install.

All of my external drives are setup this way.
With multiple Puppy versions frugal installs.

If you need to be booting a UEFI bios computer with secure boot enabled.
Frugalpup Installer program can do it, using it's type boot loader install options. Choose to install a UEFI type boot loader.
It will need this same drive partition setup.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

rerwin

Post by rerwin »

fr-ke wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:53 pm

@rerwin
Update: Possibly not important, the interfaces eth0 and eth1 are recognized/displayed as Type wireless in frisbee-2.0.2.

Thanks for reporting this. There should be an easy fix.

When you see this situation, please get the output of the following commands:
iw dev
ip link show

Please send me that info in a PM.

Richard

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

bigpup wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:31 pm

I have seen all kinds of stuff already on a drive, that the manufacture puts on it.
They usually setup external drives for just storing data on.

For booting installed operating systems.

If this drive is that sensitive to doing anything on it.

I suggest that something in wrong with it's complete setup.

You do not tell us the size of it.

But this is what I do with any new drives I get.

Start over with how they are setup.
Make a new partition table so anything that is on it is gone. (if using Grub4dos boot loader) make it msdos type partition table.
Make one small 1st partition formatted fat32, flagged boot, esp
The rest of drive one or more partition(s) with at least one formatted ext 3 or 4 for Puppy frugal installs.
1st partition is where the boot loader is placed.

The 1st partition is always seen as the boot partition and the location to find the boot loader.
The boot loader menu config file )menu.lst) will have the info on where the OS is on the other partition(s).

Do a operating system Puppy frugal install on 2nd or other partition.
Run Grub4dos Config program.
Tell it to install on 1st partition and select search only this drive for installed OS's.
That should give you a working boot menu when you boot with the drive.

Do a new Puppy version frugal install and rerun Grub4dos Config, to update the boot menu, with entry for new install.

All of my external drives are setup this way.
With multiple Puppy versions frugal installs.

If you need to be booting a UEFI bios computer with secure boot enabled.
Frugalpup Installer program can do it, using it's type boot loader install options. Choose to install a UEFI type boot loader.
It will need this same drive partition setup.

Can't do any formatting because I have lots of data on this drive that I can't lose. I did create a small ext3 partition on it but that does not work for Puppys installed to that partition as already mentioned. The ext3 partition is necessary however for my portable browsers. I did run Grub4Dos configuration numerous times. It took me half a day to get this thing to boot any operating system the first time I tried. Eventually I sit with this current situation where I only get Bionic32 and Fossa96CE working.

sunilrathaur

Post by sunilrathaur »

Can anybody tell me how to attach pdf onto Whatsapp in bw 10.0.6. unable to do so for long.

Governor

Post by Governor »

Is Fossa96CE a newer version of fossapup? And if so, where can it be gotten from?
Thanks.

amethyst wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:41 am

Can't do any formatting because I have lots of data on this drive that I can't lose. I did create a small ext3 partition on it but that does not work for Puppys installed to that partition as already mentioned. The ext3 partition is necessary however for my portable browsers. I did run Grub4Dos configuration numerous times. It took me half a day to get this thing to boot any operating system the first time I tried. Eventually I sit with this current situation where I only get Bionic32 and Fossa96CE working.

Distro: fossapup64 9.5
Window Manager: JWM v2.4.0
Desktop Start: xwin jwm
Firefox portable: 115.5.0esr (64-bit)

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Governor wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:29 pm

Is Fossa96CE a newer version of fossapup? And if so, where can it be gotten from?
Thanks.

amethyst wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:41 am

Yes. https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/ISO/F ... 6-CE_4.iso

totiks2023

Post by totiks2023 »

Good day to all! The other day I wrote a script for the squashfs Module Manager, which mounts a squashfs module in /mnt ,
into a directory with the module name, and throws symbolic links to / . That is, the native file
system is used and not virtual ones such as aufs or overlayfs.
At first glance, the method seems dangerous, but I was extremely careful in the script,
and introduced the necessary checks that make the script safe, the script refers to files in the file system
extremely carefully, because he is forbidden to delete files, he is allowed to work
only with symbolic links.
In my script, the code of which can be viewed at the address: https://github.com/totiks2012/Simple-mo ... -for-Linux ..git
is used by sudo, since there is a root user in Bookworm Pup64, then sudo should be removed from the script
, otherwise the script will refuse to work.
The mod_man script uses peco, do not forget to download it from here before using it https://github.com/peco/peco/releases and install it by copying the binary from tar.gz archive
peco_linux_amd64.tar.gz in /usr/bin , the reason that peco from the repository is broken (this applies for some reason to Pup64 in other Debian-based 12 it works)
After the script is running, in order to find the menu items connected from the program modules, the menu needs to be updated
with regular Pup64 tools, later if the community is interested in the script, I will investigate the question and add
a software menu update to the script. Now at this stage, due to the peculiarities of the JWM operation, naturally, these menu items are not
they are displayed, they should be searched in Synapse by updating its database before that, also with its regular tools.
I've been researching the menu issue, I just haven't used the jvm for a long time and I've forgotten.
In order for the names of the programs from the connected modules to be displayed in the n menu, it is necessary in the script mod_man.sh instead of the lxpanelctl restart lines (there are 3 occurrences, that is, three times, there are three lines in the script that should be replaced), you need to insert the lines
fixmenus
jwm -reload
Modules can be obtained using another
script that I wrote for this, its code is here: https://github.com/totiks2012/repo2sb.git
to create modules, it is enough to place the repo2sb script in the home directory and execute the command in the terminal
along the path of the home directory./repo2sb name_pac , where name_pac is the package name from the repository, for example
pluma
, it also uses sudo and in order to use it for Bookworm Pup64, it is also necessary to remove sudo from it .
I created these 2 scripts for a live-kit based on Debian12, in my distribution I use a user whose rights are limited,
and therefore sudo is used in the script, but I repeat since Bookworm Pup64 is used from under the user
with root rights , sudo should be removed from the script
, otherwise the script will refuse to work .
For about 6-7 months I used Bookworm Pup64 and I really liked it, but I lacked the functionality
of modular distributions, and it was thanks to Bookworm Pup64 and the fact that over time I got my custom one
debian live-kit, which did not have aufs support in the kernel, and overlayfs does not support hot plugging,
I had to focus and write these scripts.

Please forgive me for the mistakes and style, English is not my native language, the text was translated.
upd: Please avoid creating using repo2sb from the repository and connecting libreoffice is a large and complex package in terms of dependencies, it is better to take appimage and repackage it to sb, or use it as is

Governor

Post by Governor »

amethyst wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:46 pm
Governor wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:29 pm

Thanks.
8<------- snipped

Yes. https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/ISO/F ... 6-CE_4.iso

Thanks, I got it. Presumably there are some improvements (fingers crossed).
1) Is it possible to change to or update to the newer version from fossapup64_9.5?
2) Could this be done without losing my setup/configuration settings?

Thanks!

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

@Governor Do you realize that your are posting questions about Fossapup64 to the BookwormPup64 thread?

Before you spend a lot of time and effort, you should know that you can NOT use the SaveFile/Folder created under Fossapup64_9.5 with F96_CE even if you change its name. Too many structural differences.

There are newer versions of Fossapup64. You might be able to use your SaveFile/Folder with Friendly-Fossa64 v1.0, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 902#p43902 but it is not that much newer.

Ozsouth has published a recent whole series of Fossapup64 Remasters, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewforum.php?f=119 with Fossapup64-23 - an update of original, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 98#p103298 being the most likely able to use your SaveFile/Folder. But even with it it would be better to 'start from scratch'. That is, take a screenshot of Puppy Package Manager>Uninstall of your current Fossapup: then reinstall the apps you need. Otherwise parts of your SaveFile/Folder may overwrite the updates Ozsouth has included.

Alternatively, start from scratch with ozsouth's Fossa64 - Less v4, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 197#p95197

@Moderators: Governor's posts and this reply should be move to Fossapup64's thread.

rerwin

Network Connect Updates for Next BookwormPup & FossaPup64CE

Post by rerwin »

@radky,
The latest versions of of the network_connect_update, frisbee and simple_network_setup packages are ready for inclusion in the next releases of the above Pups.

The packages are attached to the message at:
viewtopic.php?p=2241#p2241

Network_connect_update-20240416 is the same as network_connect_update-202404-beta but eliminates generation of a minor pgrep message. I have seen no issue reports about the beta.
Edit: Network_connect_update-20240418 removes an infinite-loop bug related to auto-starting peasywifi and adds checks for connman and peasywifi already running.

Frisbee-2.0.3 restores the functionality of its Diagnostic and Profile buttons and windows. It also addresses user fr-ke's report:

Possibly not important, the interfaces eth0 and eth1 are recognized/displayed as Type wireless in frisbee-2.0.2.

This appears to be due to the iw command possibly not detecting devices that do not use the nl80211 driver. Now, wireless interfaces that use wext may be shown as wired, and might not connect.

Simple_network_setup-3.5 improves its disconnect function to work better with connectwizard_switcher and react better to connections started by other managers, uses gtk2dialog when available, and includes other fixes.

Note that the NCU package generates a menu entry for "Internet Connection Wizard". This duplicates the Bookworm "Internet Connection Manager" entry, which is not produced by a .desktop file. These should either be consolidated into a "Wizard" entry or "Manager" should link to ConnMan, by one way or the other.

Also, file /etc/xdg/autostart/connman-ui-gtk.desktop_for_conwiz_uninstall should be removed from the new releases.

Richard

Last edited by rerwin on Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Governor

Post by Governor »

Thank you for your reply.

I just want a better or improved version of Linux that will allow me to use the @mikewalsh portable apps.
At this point, I don't care which Linux it is. I tried other distros, but the portable apps wouldn't run (at least not as is). I will look into the appimage approach when I get the time.

Those portable apps are a must have, and they are the only thing that enables me to use Linux. Without them, I will be forced to use Windoze again.

If I must reconfigure from scratch - so be it. I have never been able to utilize the save file/folder function anyway.
I boot in RAM-only mode from a closed CD and keep it running as long as possible. My uptime is now 28 days, which is a record.

Will the distros you mentioned run Mike's portable apps as is?
Thanks!

mikeslr wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:25 pm

@Governor Do you realize that your are posting questions about Fossapup64 to the BookwormPup64 thread?

Before you spend a lot of time and effort, you should know that you can NOT use the SaveFile/Folder created under Fossapup64_9.5 with F96_CE even if you change its name. Too many structural differences.

There are newer versions of Fossapup64. You might be able to use your SaveFile/Folder with Friendly-Fossa64 v1.0, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 902#p43902 but it is not that much newer.

Ozsouth has published a recent whole series of Fossapup64 Remasters, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewforum.php?f=119 with Fossapup64-23 - an update of original, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 98#p103298 being the most likely able to use your SaveFile/Folder. But even with it it would be better to 'start from scratch'. That is, take a screenshot of Puppy Package Manager>Uninstall of your current Fossapup: then reinstall the apps you need. Otherwise parts of your SaveFile/Folder may overwrite the updates Ozsouth has included.

Alternatively, start from scratch with ozsouth's Fossa64 - Less v4, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 197#p95197

@Moderators: Governor's posts and this reply should be move to Fossapup64's thread.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

I just want a better or improved version of Linux that will allow me to use the @mikewalsh portable apps.

Fossa96CE is newer and an improved version however there is no guarantee that mikewalsh's portables (or app images) will work for all Puppys but your chances are better when running a newer Puppy.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

@Governor

Which portables do you want to run? Can you provide a list? Maybe open a thread in the USER Section

I can run all the ones I want under Fossapup64. But for some of the ones I run I've had to install libraries. Remember, ALL puppys use Puppy's unique 'infra-structure', not that of it's binary compatible distro. AppImages are published as 'self-contained'. But the publishers use Ubuntu, Fedora and a couple other Major distros as their 'test-beds'. So they'll contain everything those distros need, but not everything Puppy needs.

To get some AppImages or portables working, what I had to do was start them via a terminal. The terminal read-out will tell you what library is missing. Search for that library via PPM or pkgs.org. Install it. Start the application again via terminal. And repeat until there are no missing dependencies.

I haven't tried all Mike's portables nor all AppImages. Most of the ones I tried under Fossapup64 worked OOTB. IIRC, there were only a few which didn't. Of those, the most often missing libraries were Qt5's. And that can get tricky. Qt5's are easy to find. But if you've got applications using the Qt5..so.5.9 series you can't use an application requiring the same library but the Qt5...so.5.12 version. And vice-versa. You might have to look for an older/newer version of the app which employs the series you already have. Or a different app.

Exactly what categories of application do you want to run? For example, Openshot video editor may run OOTB while one version of shotcut will present you with 'dependency hell' and another version will work OK but miss some features. All are video editors. Try to find the path of least resistance to accomplish your 'real-world' objectives.

So, I'll repeat my suggestion: start a post in the User's Section and provide us with a list of those 'categories' of applications you want.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

FossaPUP thread has a sub-thread titled "Fossapup User Contributed Packages". I think @mikeslr offers a good idea. So, combining, maybe this kind of sub-thread for BookwormPUP would meet the needs for someone like @Governor Thus not only would it address his need, but other useful add-ons would be there as well for selections.

Mike's point is accurate in that sometimes a app/program/subsystem which installs successfully for operations in one system, may not do the same in another. That is a VERY important note he shares.

rerwin

Re: Network Connect Updates for Next BookwormPup & FossaPup64CE

Post by rerwin »

@radky, @wizard,

While preparing the network update for woofCE I noticed a code error that results in an infinite loop if peasywifi is autostarted. I have uploaded version 20240418 with the correction.

In addition, it adds checks for connman and peasywifi already running, to avoid multiple sessions of them.

Please replace the 20240416 version with network_connect_update-20240418.
Available here: viewtopic.php?p=2241#p2241

Richard

rerwin

Re: Network Connect Updates for Next BookwormPup & FossaPup64CE

Post by rerwin »

@radky, @wizard, @Jasper, @Marv, @fr-ke , @josejp2424,

I have been "polishing" the networking packages while preparing them for woofCE.

The changes improve the thoroughness of switching managers while another manager's dialogs are on screen. The old windows are closed when a new manager is selected, whether by the connectwizard or as the default manager.

Other changes make consistent the detection and notification of starting a manager while it is already running.

The only exception to the closing of a previous manager's windows is that peasywifi may leave a window on screen. I have not modified peasywifi because it belongs to rcrsn51; avoiding the lingering message requires a minor code change to it.

There are no changes to the main functionality of switching network managers.

The new versions of network_connect_update, SNS, Network Wizard and Frisbee are attachments here:
viewtopic.php?p=2241#p2241
The change logs are in the third posting of that thread.

Thank you to all who have installed previous versions of these networking packages. Even though I hope this batch completes the implementation of switching, please report any further issues in the thread containing those packages (mentioned above).

Richard

Return to “BookwormPup”