How to upgrade my Linux experience and keep using portable apps?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

Governor

How to upgrade my Linux experience and keep using portable apps?

Post by Governor »

@mikeslr

I currently use the following portable apps from Mike Walsh's repository:
Firefox, Thunderbird, LibreOffice, Audacity, Brave, Palemoon, VLC.

I don't care what distro i use, as long as it has a very good GUI and plenty of apps that run OOTB. I recently tried MXLinux which I had high hopes for, but the portable apps would not run. I heard positive comments about KDE/Plasma, but I don't know if that could be a viable option. My Linux literacy is low, but I can follow simple instructions. I do not want to use systemd.

I am looking for approaches that are uncomplicated and unproblematic (if they exist?).
Thanks!

Distro: fossapup64 9.5
Window Manager: JWM v2.4.0
Desktop Start: xwin jwm
Firefox portable: 115.5.0esr (64-bit)

mikewalsh

Re: How to upgrade my Linux experience and keep using portable apps?

Post by mikewalsh »

@Governor :-

Um.....Christ. Do I really need to explain this?

You DO understand, don't you, that these portable apps are not, repeat NOT "generic" apps that will run on any Linux distro? The AppImages contained within the 'portables' WILL run anywhere if used & called just by themselves. However, when run via the 'LAUNCH' script, along with the other stuff in the portable directory, they will ONLY run under Puppy. Because that's what they've been designed to do..!

(I suppose they might run under other Linux distros, but only if modified to take into account the user group, along with various other ownerships and permissions that mainstream distros insist on assigning to everything. That, you would have to figure out for yourself, because nobody else can guess what username & password you will be using BEFORE you've even created them!) :roll:

If you can't understand that, well; I can't put it any plainer, I'm sorry to say.

Mike. :|

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@Governor I agree with Mike, you really cannot expect that stuff shared on this "Puppy" Linux forum works in other distros .
So if you mention something like "doesn't work on MX", it's in fact very off-topic posting, stop it.

EDIT: Just to be clear (as you ask "how-to ... ?"), I'm not saying it's impossible to make the portable apps work on e.g. MX (or whatever Linux distro), but probably required are some major changes in the distro itself (and can be different for every portable app), it's a complicated thing and therefore it would need lots of research to make it work as expected.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

For the benefit of the forum and not as a direct reply to @Governor, I would like to point out the idea that what @governor is asking for could be well served by using KLV-airedale. I have used most every portable he mentioned on Airedale, and they work, but I have not tried Audacity or VLC.

That option is of course dependent on his install drive being able to save the upper_changes. Whereas in a puppy one chooses where to make a save, a KLV by default will create upper_changes in the install directory, thereby eliminating any confusion as to whether a "save" is loaded. It's automatic. As long as that install location is ext and read/write, no problems with persistence should surface.

Airedale would provide a mainstream linux base, with a nice gui desktop (Xfce) and most mainstream applications available (including Audacity and VLC) in a well maintained repo, along with system and package updates from a rolling release that wouldn't age out, all without using systemd.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

but I have not tried Audacity or VLC.

I have :thumbup2: and it they work!. Use Audacity portable a lot to recover stuff from metal cassette tapes run through easy effect

Governor

Post by Governor »

rockedge wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:52 pm

but I have not tried Audacity or VLC.

I have :thumbup2: and it they work!. Use Audacity portable a lot to recover stuff from metal cassette tapes run through easy effect

Is it allowed to mention KLV-airedale in this forum/thread? Is it like fossapup?

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Is it like fossapup?

In some technical methods similar, but the system for KLV-Airedale is Void Linux, and Fossapup64 is based on Ubuntu Focal Fossa components. Some similar and shared utilities. The desktop in Fossapup64 is by default JWM and KLV-Airedale uses XFCE4 is another difference.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

rockedge wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:57 pm

Is it like fossapup?

In some technical methods similar, but the system for KLV-Airedale is Void Linux, and Fossapup64 is based on Ubuntu Focal Fossa components. Some similar and shared utilities. The desktop in Fossapup64 is by default JWM and KLV-Airedale uses XFCE4 is another difference.

For clarity it might be helpful to mention that a KLV differs from a puppy of any kind in a couple significant ways. 1st being that it uses the Void linux package manager and Void linux system structure to the extent that it takes advantage of the Void linux rolling release model, meaning that system wide updates can be done on a regular basis like any mainstream linux. Some newer pups are incorporating similar package manager features but are still significantly structured differently as puppy, and not structured as the base OS, correct me if I'm misrepresenting this @rockedge, but a KLV will boot up reporting as Void Linux. In other words KLV-airedale thinks it's Void Linux, that's how closely constructed it is.

For instance on fossapup64_9.5 and F96, certain applications I run (like Ardour Digital Audio Workstation) are limited to version 6 in the Ubuntu repos that fossapup64_9.5 was constructed with, but in Void linux (KLV-Airedale-sr8) I have updated automatically from Ardour6 to Ardour7 to Ardour8 using the system wide update of the Void xbps package manager. So I have the latest available versions of every application I've installed from the current Void repository. But with the added benefit of the Puppy frugal install ethos/methods allowing me to rollback should any update prove buggy.

So to sum up, my definition of a Kennel Linux distro is: A frugal install of a mainstream linux distro with added puppy-linux utilities and features.

geo_c

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

@mikewalsh Governor posted here at my suggestion, having previously posted questions about Fossapup64 to the Bookworm Section. I thought he was seeking to find out which Puppy is likely to run AppImages and the majority of your portables OOTB.

But I'm glad geo_c brought up KLV-airedale in response. FYI, the ISO for the latest version, KLV-Airedale-sr12, can be obtained from a link here: viewtopic.php?p=115230#p115230. Kennel Linux is wiak's brilliant alternative to Puppys. Layman's view: Wiak modified the initrd file to 'portablize' what otherwise would be a 'Full Install'. That is like Puppys Kernel Linux needs only its own folder, not an entire partition. There are various 'flavors', each flavor accessing the repositories of its compatible distro. [For various 'flavors' see, viewforum.php?f=192. The 'Airedales' access the repositories of Void Linux. AFAIK, Airedales were the first published and have had the most 'feed-back' and development.

Caution: I haven't used a KLV-Airedale for a while and haven't tried the latest version. Please suggest an different publication if it would be better for a 'newby', such as Governor, to Kennel Linux.

In addition to making use of Mikewalsh's portables, Airedales can install any application available in Void's extensive Repos. But --for someone familiar with Puppy, Airedale's only downside-- it doesn't use Puppys Package Manager. Rather, as to be expected from a Void OS, it uses Voids' native package manager. My recolllection is that that was very similar to apt: open a terminal and type a command with arguments. Perhaps there's an explanatory post such as the one for apt published for Bookworm, viewtopic.php?t=8805. If not, don't hesitate to ask for instructions, Governor.

Deployment is simple. Download the ISO, extract it, and place all the extracted files in a folder you created and named. I expect from my recent exploration of KLU-JAM that within the extracted files now in the folder you created will be one named 'wd_grubconfig'. Left-Click that and a text file will be generated with appropriate stanza you can copy to your boot-loader's Menu.lst/grub.cfg. For example, the grub_config.txt for my KLU-JAM included this entry for use with grub.cfg:

menuentry "KLU" {
insmod ext2
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 39ff128d-806e-45a0-9c0c-4013859ec05d
linux /KLU/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=UUID=39ff128d-806e-45a0-9c0c-4013859ec05d=/KLU w_changes=RAM2
initrd /KLU/initrd.gz
}

grub_config.txt also included stanzas for use with grub4dos and other boot-managers. Also within grub_config.txt was the following advice:

"Note that you can remove w_changes=RAM2 if you don't want save session on demand mode."

Which I understand [correct me if I'm wrong] to mean that the 'sample' stanza boots up in a manner analogous to PupMode 13 [Save only on demand, you'll be asked at shut-down/reboot] with a 'save2flash' on the System Sub-Menu; you can add a launcher a panel. But you can remove "w_changes=RAM2" or add another stanza without that argument if/when you prefer to boot up equivalent of PupMode 12 [Automatic Save].

wiak

Post by wiak »

mikeslr wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:27 am

Which I understand [correct me if I'm wrong] to mean that the 'sample' stanza boots up in a manner analogous to PupMode 13 [Save only on demand, you'll be asked at shut-down/reboot] with a 'save2flash' on the System Sub-Menu; you can add a launcher a panel. But you can remove "w_changes=RAM2" or add another stanza without that argument if/when you prefer to boot up equivalent of PupMode 12 [Automatic Save].

Seems pretty accurate to me, Mike.

The very first releases were all Void Linux based only. My first did not include the initrd (chroot only). Then the initrd was completed and that was the game changer. Airedale came along a bit after various simpler KLV releases, and early WDL_Arch Linux flavour was developed in parallel. Overall, because of @rockedge constant input, most new developments tend to occur first in KLV-Airedale. On my machine, for some reason, KLV-Airedale has always been a bit slow to boot; I don't know if that is something to do with something added to KLV-Airedale itself or simply the way Void Linux underneath system scripts (runit and so on) or XFCE work. The KL I use the most is KLU-jammy (XFCE); it boots fast, but I haven't had time to polish up its rougher edges nor make many releases. I do intend making new releases of that KLU-jammy eventually though since Ubuntu-based distros using apt/dpkg tend to be liked by many.

As for w_changes=RAM2. Yes that is similar to Pupmode 13. If you don't include any w_changes argument (or use w_changes="") the result is similar to Pupmode 12 (direct writes).
You can also redirect where the (upper_changes) savefolder is stored on underlying media. For that purpose you instead use w_changes to point to the (UUID or LABEL) of the partition and directory where you want upper_changes stored; in that usage, you use a second variable called w_changes1 to say whether you want RAM2 or not. For example:

menuentry "KLU" {
insmod ext2
linux /KLU/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=UUID=39ff128d-806e-45a0-9c0c-4013859ec05d=/KLU w_changes=UUID=xxx-yyy-zzz-blahblahblah=/anydir1/anydir2/anydir3 w_changes1=RAM2
initrd /KLU/initrd.gz
}

Totally optional:
For those KL distros using latest initrd, there is also a new facility which allows the user to override the above w_changes and/or w_changes1 bootloader arguments simply be dropping a text file called w_initconfig, with alternative UUIDs, dirs and so on, into the directory the frugal install (or Ventory iso) has been placed. That optional mechanism, in other words, overrides whatever arguments were in grub config, so is very flexible and useful in some scenarios. More on w_initconfig and a simple script utility to help make it is given here:

viewtopic.php?p=116935#p116935

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Governor

Post by Governor »

mikeslr wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:27 am

@mikewalsh Governor posted here at my suggestion, having previously posted questions about Fossapup64 to the Bookworm Section. I thought he was seeking to find out which Puppy is likely to run AppImages and the majority of your portables OOTB.

But I'm glad geo_c brought up KLV-airedale in response. FYI, the ISO for the latest version, KLV-Airedale-sr12, can be obtained from a link here: viewtopic.php?p=115230#p115230. Kennel Linux is wiak's brilliant alternative to Puppys. Layman's view: Wiak modified the initrd file to 'portablize' what otherwise would be a 'Full Install'. That is like Puppys Kernel Linux needs only its own folder, not an entire partition. There are various 'flavors', each flavor accessing the repositories of its compatible distro. [For various 'flavors' see, viewforum.php?f=192. The 'Airedales' access the repositories of Void Linux. AFAIK, Airedales were the first published and have had the most 'feed-back' and development.

Caution: I haven't used a KLV-Airedale for a while and haven't tried the latest version. Please suggest an different publication if it would be better for a 'newby', such as Governor, to Kennel Linux.

In addition to making use of Mikewalsh's portables, Airedales can install any application available in Void's extensive Repos. But --for someone familiar with Puppy, Airedale's only downside-- it doesn't use Puppys Package Manager. Rather, as to be expected from a Void OS, it uses Voids' native package manager. My recolllection is that that was very similar to apt: open a terminal and type a command with arguments. Perhaps there's an explanatory post such as the one for apt published for Bookworm, viewtopic.php?t=8805. If not, don't hesitate to ask for instructions, Governor.

Deployment is simple. Download the ISO, extract it, and place all the extracted files in a folder you created and named. I expect from my recent exploration of KLU-JAM that within the extracted files now in the folder you created will be one named 'wd_grubconfig'. Left-Click that and a text file will be generated with appropriate stanza you can copy to your boot-loader's Menu.lst/grub.cfg. For example, the grub_config.txt for my KLU-JAM included this entry for use with grub.cfg:

menuentry "KLU" {
insmod ext2
linux /KLU/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=UUID=39ff128d-806e-45a0-9c0c-4013859ec05d=/KLU w_changes=RAM2
initrd /KLU/initrd.gz
}

grub_config.txt also included stanzas for use with grub4dos and other boot-managers. Also within grub_config.txt was the following advice:

"Note that you can remove w_changes=RAM2 if you don't want save session on demand mode."

I have already downloaded the ISO from here:
https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/ISO/K ... edale/sr12/
Will KLV-Airedale boot from a Ventoy thumbdrive?

Thanks!

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Don't know if Ventoy can handle the 'Kennels'.

But now that wiak has mentioned it, KLU-Jam may be the easiest to work with. https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 399#p79399

I'm exploring it because I'm sort-of familiar with the apt package manager. Apt is used by both Ubuntu and debian. If I have any questions there are a lot of explanatory posts easy to find. To make installation of applications even easier I used apt to install synaptic.
Being Ubuntu Jammy, KLU-Jam can use snaps OOTB. Flatpak can be installed. Ubuntu is one of the Distros packagers of AppImages employ when testing to determine whether all necessary libraries have been included. There are other ways (some AppImages offer an integration option), But I found this easy to use recipe for Linux Mint. Should work in Ubuntus,
Download and remove the false '.gz' needed to make it an attachment. It's an 'odt' file with illustrations.

LinuxMint - create launcher for AppImage.odt.gz
(105.82 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
wiak

Post by wiak »

Governor wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:44 pm

I have already downloaded the ISO from here:
https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/ISO/K ... edale/sr12/
Will KLV-Airedale boot from a Ventoy thumbdrive?

Thanks!

Yes, all KL distros will boot from Ventoy and with full persistence similar to Puppy Linux Pupmode12 or Pupmode13 alternative (i.e. save on demand style). If trying save persistence to the Ventoy disk, that should just work as long as partition name is Ventoy, which it is by default. If you want save persistence to some other disk, just create a partition with Label "Persistence" and savefolder will be auto-created at /Sessions/Name_of_KL_distro/ on that Persistence labelled partition. The Ventoy grub menu gives you the appropriate choice of which to use:

RAM0 mode means no persistence (so you lose changes on shutdown)
RAM2 mode means savefolder gets used.

Actually, you can force most recent released KL distros to put their savefolders anywhere at all (overriding the grub menu) by another mechanism (w_initconfig file) but I won't complicate the explanation by going into that here.

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

mikeslr wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:21 pm

It can, but @Clarity and @wiak would be the people most in possession of the necessary procedures.

But now that wiak has mentioned it, KLU-Jam may be the easiest to work with. I'm exploring it because I'm sort-of familiar with the apt package manager. Apt is used by both Ubuntu and debian. If I have any questions there are a lot of explanatory posts easy to find. To make installation of applications even easier I used apt to install synaptic.
Being Ubuntu Jammy, KLU-Jam can use snaps OOTB. Flatpak can be installed. Ubuntu is one of the Distros packagers of AppImages employ when testing to determine whether all necessary libraries have been included. There are other ways (some AppImages offer an integration option), But I found this easy to use recipe for Linux Mint. Should work in Ubuntus,
Download and remove the false '.gz' needed to make it an attachment. It's an 'odt' file with illustrations.

As @wiak mentioned, KLV-Airedale is much more developed in terms added functionality than KLU is (I'd say Airedale is actually fully polished). But in the long term I suppose the choice of either rests on which subsystem, package manager, and repository one prefers to work with. Snaps OOTB sounds inviting, though I've personally never been a big Ubuntu fan.

I'm a fan of the Void package manager, and the general Void pace of updates. The way I understand it, Void only does a full OS version upgrade every 10 years or so, and the current version is a rolling release until they decide to release a complete overhall and new version. Ubuntu I believe is still a different model. So I like the Void philosophy overall, in that applications are upgraded consistently, but not bleeding edge like Arch, and very few bugs if any tend to show up in their updates. In other words they have a conservative but current/forward-thinking approach to development.

KLVs come with Octo-Xbps, which is a gui front end for the package manager, and it's super easy to use and straightforward. I've used both command line xbps and OctoXbps, and at the moment I usually just use OctoXbps, as it's easy to search for available packages.

Last edited by geo_c on Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

geo_c

wiak

Post by wiak »

geo_c wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:38 pm

As @wiak mentioned, KLV-Airedale is much more developed in terms added functionality than KLU is (I'd say Airedale is actually fully polished). But in the long term I suppose the choice of either rests on which subsystem, package manager, and repository one prefers to work with.

Yes, I am badly needing to make a new KLU-jam release with some of the newer KL/FR additions (including the latest FR initrd...) - also I often don't add many bells and whistles since I leave that for others to remaster in since my interests are more technical than aesthetic often. Actually, at the 'technical' level, that KLU-jam has the issue that I don't myself have a build script for it since it was just a hurried release that I intended to improve upon once I had more time. Nevertheless that now old KLU-jam release will still update to latest Ubuntu packages so works fine still for what many want. It does indeed, to some extent, often come down to what underlying package management system you prefer to have at your fingertips.

Aside from my own KL interests (in particular the FR initrd functionality provided), when it comes to Debian-based systems I'd still myself tend to recommend DebianDogs, which handle most all typical Puppy scenarios (and have done so since 2013!), and more, yet fully Debian compatible package management too. On the other hand, if you ever have interest in building your own little distro flavour, the FirstRib KL is a pretty straightforward way to do that and with good results - of course building and polishing any distro creation takes a lot of time and effort, but KL/FR will get it up and running pretty well without too much brain pain.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Governor

Post by Governor »

wiak wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:55 pm
geo_c wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:38 pm

As @wiak mentioned, KLV-Airedale is much more developed in terms added functionality than KLU is (I'd say Airedale is actually fully polished). But in the long term I suppose the choice of either rests on which subsystem, package manager, and repository one prefers to work with.

8<---- snipped
...when it comes to Debian-based systems I'd still myself tend to recommend DebianDogs,... the FirstRib KL is a pretty straightforward way to do that and with good results - of course building and polishing any distro creation takes a lot of time and effort, but KL/FR will get it up and running pretty well without too much brain pain.

Looks like FirstRib is for pro Linux users only. Support for Debiandogs is ended or will soon end according to the website:
https://itsfoss.com/debiandog/

What is the difference between KLV-Airedale-rc15 and KLV-Airedale-sr12 ?
Which one should I try?

Among other distros on my Ventoy thumb drive, I now have:
KLV-Airedale-sr12.iso
KLU-jam-XFCEbase-1.1.iso
F96-CE_4.iso
BookwormPup64_10.0.6.iso
DARKPUPPY-BE_24_1_1.iso
LxPupJammy32-22.04+6.iso
antiX-23.1_x64-full.iso
devuan_daedalus_5.0.1_amd64_netinstall.iso
egg-of_ubuntu-bionic-ometascan_amd64_2024-03-02_1325.iso

Last edited by Governor on Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wiak

Post by wiak »

Governor wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:21 pm

Looks like FirstRib is for pro Linux users only.

I don't think so, not at all, but a matter of opinion I suppose.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Governor

Post by Governor »

wiak wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:24 pm

It was the impression I got from looking at the website:
https://www.tinylinux.info/post/firstri ... ed-distro/

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Governor wrote:

Which one should I try?

Better KLV-Airedale-sr12, it's latest "stable release" (sr), ("rc" is "release candidate")

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Support for Debiandogs is ended or will soon end according to the website:
https://itsfoss.com/debiandog/

Perhaps you mean Debian support for Buster will end soon? That article is 4 years old, BTW.

@fredx181 is supporting Bookworm
viewtopic.php?t=5069
If he has not shipped a full .iso, it may be that building Bookworm is quite easy. Have you looked at the build "script"? its has a gui and instructions.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:32 pm
wiak wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:24 pm

It was the impression I got from looking at the website:
https://www.tinylinux.info/post/firstri ... ed-distro/

First Rib script is actually fairly easy to use, but knowledge of what an FR distro is and how it works is certainly a prerequisite. If one is using a later version of an SR releaase, like KLV-airedale-sr12, there's really no need to run a build script. The build script is handy if one wants to build a custom root files system with some extra installed packages, etc, or if one wants to try and test one of the latest builds of a KL variant that doesn't yet have an iso available. Otherwise downloading and booting the iso is more than adequate. I've only done a handful of builds from a build script, and the truth is I'm not currently running any of them, because newer versions were made available as an iso. And so I downloaded those and ran them.

I am actually running KLV-airedale-sr8 at the moment, heavily customized and beefed up using the Psuedo Full Install technique, but that's another topic. Cart before the horse.

geo_c

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

There are several forum pages written at various levels of understanding that are, each, suggesting the same Ventoy setup structure.

If you follow the instructions for the structure recommended, it will allow booting of all forum distros ISO files as well as IMG files.

The KL family developers are insanely quick to repair any KL that have boot issues, when reported. FATDOGs are trouble-free. DebianDogs are too and will correct if anything is discovered and reported should boot troubles occur.

Modern PUPs will boot, but there is a kink in what occurs in saving the sessions.

@wizard this week recommended to another forum member this forum page for instuctions.

Most important: You will use the same Ventoy disk forever. There is no adjustments or changes to the structure that launches all of your ISO files that you place in its BOOTISOS folder. You'll just add any downloaded ISOs of your choice and it will launch them. The launched distros run in EXACTLY the same way as any PUP frugal. An ISO file booted along with its save-session is a frugal!

You will find it easy, once done.

Governor

Post by Governor »

fredx181 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:06 pm
Governor wrote:

Which one should I try?

Better KLV-Airedale-sr12, it's latest "stable release" (sr), ("rc" is "release candidate")

I just noticed there is another version of KLV-Airedale using a different kernel.
KLV-Airedale-RT with full Real Time Kernel 6.6.0-rt15
https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=9949

How does it compare with KLV-Airedale-sr12?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Governor wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:06 am
Governor wrote:

Which one should I try?

I just noticed there is another version of KLV-Airedale using a different kernel.

Booting with a real-time kernel can be useful if you do music/sound production (AFAIK), but probably @rockedge and @geo_c know much more about it.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

The full real time kernel is geared towards audio production and recording, video editing and production and for those few truly enlightened......... for running CAD/CAM design and production software and driving CNC machines with Puppy Linux and or KLV's

Had a guy in France that was using a Puppy Linux with a full real time kernel to run CNC lathes using the LinuxCNC package successfully. Really cost effective approach for having a capable CNC controller based on some computer saved from a dumpster.

For normal use it might not be needed though on some low end machines they can improve performance, but also to keep in mind is the CPU in this case will probably run hotter than usual, which a cpu performance scaling utility might help with.

For most users the KLV-Airedale-sr12 (or any of those really because after updating they end up around the same) is a good fit. The Void Linux kernel is a very solid performer and has a great range of device support and is quite fast in it's own right.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

fredx181 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:39 pm

Booting with a real-time kernel can be useful if you do music/sound production (AFAIK), but probably @rockedge and @geo_c know much more about it.

It's hard to say which kernel will give the best results. It has a lot to do with the modules and firmware compiled for that particular kernel. The RT kernel is a slightly older kernel and works well with my machines. I haven't booted the newer Void kernels so I'm not sure how well they will play with my machines. I use the RT kernel in the attempt to get lower latency times on audio performance. I haven't done any proper benchmark tests to say whether the RT kernel acheives the goal or not. But since it's working well, I use it.

geo_c

Governor

Post by Governor »

rockedge wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

The full real time kernel is geared towards audio production and recording, video editing and production and for those few truly enlightened......... for running CAD/CAM design and production software and driving CNC machines with Puppy Linux and or KLV's

Had a guy in France that was using a Puppy Linux with a full real time kernel to run CNC lathes using the LinuxCNC package successfully. Really cost effective approach for having a capable CNC controller based on some computer saved from a dumpster.

For normal use it might not be needed though on some low end machines they can improve performance, but also to keep in mind is the CPU in this case will probably run hotter than usual, which a cpu performance scaling utility might help with.

I do audio editing with Audacity, but no recording studio type work.
I'd be better with KLV-Airedale-sr12, I think.

Last edited by Governor on Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

fredx181 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:39 pm

It's hard to say which kernel will give the best results. It has a lot to do with the modules and firmware compiled for that particular kernel. The 6.1.38-RT kernel is a slightly older kernel and works well with my machines. I haven't booted the newest Void kernels so I'm not sure how well they will play with my machines. I use the RT kernel in the attempt to get lower latency times on audio performance. I haven't done any proper benchmark tests to say whether the RT kernel acheives the goal or not. But since it's working well, I use it.

edit: One more note of importance, KLVs can swap kernels in almost all cases, but it's necessary to get all the necessary files swapped, which I believe are initrd.gz, vmlinuz, 00modules-[kernelname].sfs 01firmware-[kernelname].sfs

meaning: sr12 can probably be run with the 6.6.0-rt15 kernel, if swapped properly. I'm running an sr8 with the 6.1.38 kernel. Smooth sailing for me with that combo, but I had tried a 6.6.something kernel in the past which did not like my machine (It may have been 6.60-rt15). That kernel was part of the iso I was running, and I swapped to a kernel known to work well with my hardware, and that is what I'm using. So it might have been sr8 that had the 6.6.xx kernel, I don't remember.

This discussion has inspired to do some kernel testing on my multi-instance install and see which ones work well.

geo_c

Return to “Users”