6.7.5 64bit USRMERGE Kernel Aufs/Overlayfs

Moderator: Forum moderators

ozsouth

6.7.5 64bit USRMERGE Kernel Aufs/Overlayfs

Post by ozsouth »

I made a 64bit USRMERGE 6.7.5 Kernel (Aufs/Overlayfs). Is for USRMERGE (newer Ubuntu/Debian derivative) Puppies ONLY.
DO NOT TRY THIS WITH SLACKWARE DERIVATIVES OR OLDER UBUNTU DERIVATIVES (IS NOT FOR F96CE OR EARLIER).
Used 2018-Kit, & edited output (linking /lib /sbin from /usr), via derivative of jrb's converter.
Needs a USRMERGE fdrv (bookwormpup64 fdrv is good & has ucode files too, so keep it. My 59mb one is below).
I made this in case some folk have issues with 6.1.x kernels.
Has Voluntary Preemption set. Used gcc 11.2.0 & glibc 2.33.
Has older ntfs-3g, vmd & Blake2s builtin. Has some mediatek wifi drivers enabled. Use at own risk.

This kernel is aufs/overlayfs capable & DEFAULTS TO AUFS - kernel-line parameter punionfs allows selection -
BUT savefiles/savefolders for aufs & overlayfs are NOT usable by the other & MUST be disabled before switching.
Needs ucode (supplied with most usrmerge pups; OR - see: viewtopic.php?p=9658#p9658).

Briefly tested, OK on Bookwormpup64 10.0.4, which has usrmerge fdrv (firmware) & ucode (spectre/meltdown mitigation) already.
WARNING: For use with Bookwormpup64, MUST disable kbuild .sfs file (I add .no to end) & grub/syslinux .cfg's kernel/linux
line MUST contain punionfs=overlay , as Bookwormpup64 is not designed for aufs - it is possible, but I say don't try on
a MISSION-CRITICAL-SYSTEM, as at the very least, aufs & overlayfs savefiles/savefolders are NOT compatible.

wl wireless driver is in the forum Drivers section. Has rtw88 & rtw89 drivers included in kernel.

For compiling, devx must be loaded and sources (or headers, if required), as no compatible kbuild .sfs exists.
Note, if loaded after boot, takes several minutes to unload - ditto kernel sources.

Once downloaded, expand in an empty folder with tar -jxvf, & rename kernel-modules.sfs-6.7.5-64oz-aoum to zdrv ...
(same as one to be replaced) & rename vmlinuz-6.7.5-64oz-aoum to vmlinuz & then substitute for originals.
Must rename any different usrmerge fdrv used to fdrv ... (same as one to be replaced).
Important Note: when switching kernels, if you have an ...initmodules.txt file (i.e. fossapup64initmodules.txt or
similar, in same folder as puppy sfs), must delete it before first boot into new kernel. Otherwise it may try to load
modules that don't exist, causing failure.

Kernel: https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... um.tar.bz2

Sources: https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... z-aoum.sfs

Headers: https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... x86_64.sfs

My Feb2024 UM fdrv: https://www.mediafire.com/file/152ke93b ... m.sfs/file

Last edited by ozsouth on Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jasper

Re: 6.7.5 64bit USRMERGE Kernel Aufs/Overlayfs

Post by Jasper »

Many thanks once again for this update :thumbup:

Using JammyPup as a test bed.

▶—— Linux Kernel ——◀

Kernel Build 6.7.5-64oz-aoum (x86_64)
Build Date Mon Feb 26 13:00:00 AEDT 2024
Build GCC 11.2.0
OS Support GNU/Linux
Architecture x86_64
SMP Enabled Yes
PAE Enabled Yes

I was using your 6.6.7 64bit USRMERGE Knl previously.

The reason why I decided to jump up a kernel is that my wifi connection randomly drops out and I have to reconnect in the previous kernel.

After leaving the PC on the same issue remains and am unsure as to why.

I am using your supplied firmware.

Bluetooth, sound etc all working fine :thumbup:

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@Jasper - the RTW88 driver should run your wifi & the firmware is in my newer fdrvs, but the rtl8821ce is a difficult chip. The number of lockups & dropouts I had with mine before it stabilised in the 5.10 series near drove me mad. I hardly use that pc now. If this kernel doesn't help, no promises, but you might be better off with an older kernel series with a wifi .pet. I made a 5.10.208 kernel recently. Is in forum Kernels section & the rtl8821ce driver in the forum Drivers section. (Edit: 5.10.208 not for usrmerge pup).

Last edited by ozsouth on Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@ozsouth

Thank you for the information and explanation, it's appreciated :thumbup:

I will try out the older build as suggested and grab the driver too :thumbup:

Hopefully that will resolve the issue.

EDIT

Grabbed the kernel even though I read your notes

"NOTE: This will NOT work with Jammypup64 & later (USRMERGE Pups)"

Hahahaha looks like I am never going to leave FossaPup95 :lol:

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@Jasper - Oops - sorry - Also in the forum Kernels section is my 5.15.131 usrmerge kernel - tested ok with Jammypup. rtl8821ce driver is forum Drivers section. 5 months old, but you could try that & use my newer fdrv.

Later: Now recommend 5.15.148 usrmerge kernel instead (see forum Kernels section & also Drivers section) - supersedes 5.15.131.

Last edited by ozsouth on Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@ozsouth

I have tried both the older kernels which do boot up etc however Conman (network application) fails to recognise a WiFi driver and therefore cannot scan.

It's no big deal, I only dip in and out of this OS.

So it's good enough for my purposes :thumbup:

Marv

Post by Marv »

Brief test here in BW64 10.0.4 seems fine here also. Clean boot, clean dmesg, good glxgears FPS etc. Idle resource use good and unchanged from the 6.1.xx or 6.6.xx series kernels. Normal daily operation, portable browsers and Sylpheed all ok. No multimedia tests as yet. conmann restarts cleanly after suspend, synaptics touchpad re-initialization on this hardware remains touch and go after suspend so I keep my patched suspend.sh. Nothing else of note as yet.

My usual hardware and install: Fujitsu S761 (2nd gen i5 all intel laptop circa 2012). Frugal ydrv driven install to SSD, No fdrv needed as the Atheros wifi card is kernel supported. punionfs=overlay passed as kernel parameter as usual.

Thanks,

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@Jasper - re- the 5.15.131 aoum kernel, the rtl8821ce wifi driver is showing 0 downloads - you need this particular pet installed to get wifi: https://www.mediafire.com/file/i5st9u2d ... m.pet/file

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@ozsouth

Many thanks once again!!

I believe yesterday, I did download both kernels and when I checked following your recent comment realised I had only tried:

rtl8821ce-64k5.10.208ao.pet

I grabbed the correct pet file for the right kernel this time and have it installed atm. Fingers crossed :thumbup2:

BTW I was quite happy with your 6.6.7/u offering. Very responsive and stable........ I was quite happy with this and was prepared to accept the drop outs.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@ozsouth

The driver and kernel work perfectly now. Tested last night and again today leaving the device unattended for long periods of time to test.

Many thanks :thumbup2:

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@Jasper - I put a small script in /root/Startup so it runs every startup (or X restart). Pings google dns server every 45 sec. Should keep connection up, if you're still having issues. Must make it executable (in a terminal, chmod 755 /root/Startup/stayon). Use at own risk.

Attachments
stayon.fake.gz
Remove .fake.gz, make executable, place in /root/Startup & restart X
(53 Bytes) Downloaded 8 times
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@ozsouth

I will leave the PC running during the day and see how it fares.

Grabbed the file and will try it out if the connection drops at all :thumbup:

Much appreciated :thumbup2:

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@ozsouth

Has worked perfectly over the past few days, thanks again :thumbup:

Return to “Kernels”