BookwormPup64 QEMU Guest Install Problem

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

JusGellin

BookwormPup64 QEMU Guest Install Problem

Post by JusGellin »

When I make a QEMU guest virtual machine using BookwormPup64_10.0.4.iso, it doesn't copy the bdrv_dpupvwi64_10.0.4.sfs and the kbuild-6.1.67.sfs files to the guest. So I have to manually copy them over from the iso.
How can I make the install do this copy?
I'm using the Menu>Setup>Puppy Installer>Installer selection from the puppy iso operating system.
Are these files the only ones I need to copy? What are the other files in the iso for?
Thanks

Clarity

Re: BookwormPup64 QEMU Guest Install Problem

Post by Clarity »

Hi @JusGellin

I am confused by your opening post (OP)

• I am not sure if you are talking about something on the host system you are trying to move into a VM??
    OR

• You are in the VM, BWPup is working properly, but you are missing some files??

Hint: A VM (QEMU or any) are PCs. Like any PC, they behave the same no matter what you boot on them. They behave like 'real' PCs. Their beauty lies in that you can have a single console (the host) providing access to all the VMs you start.

Help us out with a bit more info of what you have done thus far. Maybe even your QEMU stanza that you used to start your VM.

JusGellin

Post by JusGellin »

This is just my making a virtual machine guest
Yes, I have a working vm guest

You are in the VM, BWPup is working properly, but you are missing some files??

So from the host, I'm using the iso file to build the working guest as a virtual machine like you mentioned since it is just like a real pc build but is virtual. I'm using the iso file, BookwormPup64_10.0.4.iso to do this. My vm stanza is making a guest that has a hard drive to use and a shared folder. All this works other than copying the few missing files for it. Here is my complicated QEMU stanza:

sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -m 1024 -nic user -boot d -cdrom /home/myname/index/isos/BookwormPup64_10.0.4.iso -hda puppyBW2.qcow2 -display gtk -enable-kvm \
-fsdev local,security_model=passthrough,id=fsdev0,path=/home/myname/index/sharedhost \
-device virtio-9p-pci,id=fs0,fsdev=fsdev0,mount_tag=mount_shared_host

That's a good point that it should work the same on a bare metal install. But I figured this should be the best way since it was using only the full iso file and not a build from a usb stick.

I'm getting more familiar with this puppy version and don't remember if that has happened on a bare metal pc. I'll try that again to see. Thanks for helping me think this out.

JusGellin

Post by JusGellin »

I did an install of BookwormPup64 directly on two computers (one with uefi, one with bios only). I did find there is a problem if it is installed on a bios computer.
Installing it for uefi, these files are copied to it -everything is copied ok:
adrv_dpupbw64_10.0.4.sfs
bdrv_dpupbw64_10.0.4.sfs
fdrv_dpupbw64_10.0.4.sfs
kdrv_dpupbw64_10.0.4.sfs
zdrv_dpupbw64_10.0.4.sfs
initrd.gz
ucode.cpio
vmlinuz
kbuild-6.1.67.sfs
puppy_dpupbw64_10.0.4.sfs

But installing this on a bios computer, it only gets these files:
adrv_dpupbw64_10.0.4.sfs
fdrv_dpupbw64_10.0.4.sfs
zdrv_dpupbw64_10.0.4.sfs
initrd.gz
ucode.cpio
vmlinuz
puppy_dpupbw64_10.0.4.sfs

So that's why my QEMU install of the guest doesn't get these files. It's because it is installing this for a bios computer. Is that a problem or am I doing something wrong?

JusGellin

Post by JusGellin »

Correction - there is no kdrv_dpupbw64_10.0.4.sfs

JusGellin

Post by JusGellin »

I saw that Bookwormpup64_10.0.5 just came out so I downloaded and tried it out. For a bios boot it now brings in the bdrv_dpupbw64_10.0.5.sfs file which allows apt and Synaptic Package Manager to work. I don't know if it important but it doesn't bring in the kbuild sfs file in like it does for the uefi boot. But at least it solves the bdrv sfs one.

Return to “Beginners Help”