NOT ENOUGH FREE DISK SPACE (can't make backup)

Moderator: Forum moderators

bigpup

Re: NOT ENOUGH FREE DISK SPACE (can't make backup)

Post by bigpup »

First what type save do you really have?

BookwormPup64 Puppy version
A save folder will be named this: dpupbw64save

A save file will be named this: dpupbw64save.2fs or .3fs or .4fs.

Full support of File systems is only fat32, ntfs, and ext 2, 3, or 4. If the Puppy version is too old, it may not completely support them.
For sure, programs in Puppy, that have to work with file systems, only fully support these.

A good way to tell what the specific Puppy version supports.
Run the Gparted program the Puppy version has.
Gparted ->View ->File System Support

Do not do anything with a save file or folder in any other operating system, but a running Puppy version.

There are more to these than a simple file or folder. Programs in Puppy Linux only know how to correctly work with them.
They are actually a Puppy Linux file system inside a file or folder.

Fat32 format has a max file size limit of 4GB. Nothing bigger for a file can be used on fat32.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

The method you described of booting from another Linux with same "root" permission structure or even a live .iso or something is probably the surest way to do it.

Rather than boot from another linux where permissions could be come an issue, if you are working with bookworm64 just boot into bookworm64 in ram. perhaps you have a boot loader entry for that, but I was suggesting an even easier way, Just a another feature you may or may not have seen. so I looked at the vid and I am looking in your bookworm install folder and I see a folder you created named dpupbw64save. and inside it you are showing (at 2:55) another dpupbw64save that looks like blue puppy icon.
is it a file or a folder? click on it and see. If it is a folder, it seems you have a savefolder inside a savefolder. if it is a file, I would think it would have a .4fs file extension, so something seems a bit off

I guess its a little off topic, but I was writing about various ways to boot into ram, when you boot into bookworm, does the boot stop and let you choose from a menu as the pic shows in the screenshot below?

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (370.4 KiB) Viewed 150 times

in the rox windows you can see the corresponding pupsaves in my install directory
dpupsave-1 is a savefolder where I appended 1 in the dialog at shutdown
dpupsave.4sf is a savefile

choosing 0 in the menu (and booting into ram or fresh install) lets you make as many saves files or folders as you want.
dpupsave-example is a dummy folder (named such that bookworm thinks it is a save)It has nothing in it. I created it to make the menu appear at boot time. it looks like a normal folder because it does not have a .DirIcon in it. it can be deleted after you have two or more saves.

the lower rox window shows the contents of a save folder(including the .DirIcon) when you open it in rox. (right click on the eye to show hidden files and folders)

@bigpup

I am running 10.0.2 and the names of the saves seem to be different from what you and trawg are reporting. perhaps bookworm created the folder in trawgs install dir, but the .DirIcon is missing?

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

In BookwormPup64 10.0.4 they did change the name used for the save and actually all the OS files.

Before it was too much the same name used in dpup's.

Release notes:
New default BW64 DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX which updates the main SFS file designation from 'dpup' to 'dpupbw64', for example: puppy_dpupbw64_10.0.0.sfs

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “BookwormPup”