Windows 11 Impact on NTFS Disk Mounting in Puppy? [SOLVED]

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

ozboomer

Windows 11 Impact on NTFS Disk Mounting in Puppy? [SOLVED]

Post by ozboomer »

'lo again, all...

Another funny problem... but I'm thinking it's something on the Windows side, rather than Puppy... and that's a can of worms that's going to be complicated to deal with... So, I'm just doing a quick check in here in case it's something other folks have seen...

I have a new, 'current' PC, with Windows 11 installed (with its bootloader) on the sda3 partition in the main internal SSD. This NTFS partition contains a 'Puppy' directory, which contains a number of frugal installations of the various Puppies.

I have a USB flash drive that will boot through BIOS or UEFI (but uses UEFI on this PC) using grub on the USB drive.. and there are parts of grub.cfg that direct the system to boot through the various Puppies.

For simplicity's sake, I'll just go through a 'log' of what's happening...

• Boot via the USB drive (and an F96-CE frugal installation on sda3), loading its savefile, using the following in grub.cfg:

Code: Select all

menuentry "Puppy Linux - F96-CE - frugal - chiron (on sda3)" {
# jjg, 17/01/24 ... linux (hd1,gpt3)/Puppy/F96-CE/vmlinuz pfix=fsck pmedia=cd psubok=true psave=sda3:/Puppy/F96-CE/
# ....pfix=fsck is sometimes funny..
     linux (hd1,gpt3)/Puppy/F96-CE/vmlinuz pfix=fsck pmedia=atahd psubok=true psave=sda3:/Puppy/F96-CE/
#    linux (hd1,gpt3)/Puppy/F96-CE/vmlinuz pmedia=cd psubok=true psave=sda3:/Puppy/F96-CE/

if [ -e /ucode.cpio ]; then
  initrd /ucode.cpio (hd1,gpt3)/Puppy/F96-CE/initrd.gz
else
  initrd (hd1,gpt3)/Puppy/F96-CE/initrd.gz
fi

}
#
  • Shutdown to power off.

• Boot through sda3 bootloader into Windows 11, login and wait (for all it's stuff)

• Restart Windows (NO power off)

• Boot via the USB drive to load F96-CE again... and everything works Ok.

• Shutdown to power off.

• Boot through sda3 bootloader into Windows 11, login and wait (for all it's stuff)

• Shutdown to power off.

• Boot via the USB drive to load F96-CE again... but this time, the boot console shows (in YELLOW):-

20240117_204143-FAIL-small.jpg
    20240117_204143-FAIL-small.jpg (90.31 KiB) Viewed 312 times
  • 'Quikstart' dialog is shown. Ignore that... and using 'mount' shows the sda3 partition is mounted readonly.

• Shutdown to power off.

• msconfig .. and set for 'Safe Mode' boot.

• Restart Windows, login and wait... PC is in 'Safe Mode'

• Shutdown to power off.

• Boot via the USB drive to load F96-CE again... and everything works Ok.

...and this is the 'short' log..(!)

So, it seems there is something happening in a 'normal Windows boot' shutdown, that is 'marking' the sda3 partition in such a way that Puppy doesn't trust the disk... and so mounts it readonly.

It happens with any of the Puppy variants... and if I simply use a basic, minimal savefile. I haven't really installed anything 'system significant' in Windows to cause this to start happening...

For now, then, if I want to use Puppy, I first need to start Windows, restart it... and THEN boot Puppy.

'...heck of away t'run a railroad...'

Has anyone seen this behaviour... and been able to deal with it?

Thanks.

Last edited by ozboomer on Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daily Use Puppies: F96-CE (migrating), Fossapup64 9.5, Xenial64 7.5, Slacko 6.3.2... Proud Puppy enthusiast since 2004
C, Perl, bash... for sysadmin, mini-apps... under DOS, Windoze, VMS, Linux... on PC, VAX... for 45+ years... :roll:

Tahrbaby

Re: Windows 11 Impact on NTFS Disk Mounting in Puppy?

Post by Tahrbaby »

Have you switched 'Secure Boot' and 'Fast Startup' off on your Windows 11 installation?

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Make sure Windows 11 is a normal full shutdown.
Do not shutdown in hibernate mode.
Hibernate will not fully release control of the drives.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

ozboomer

Post by ozboomer »

bigpup wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:23 am

Make sure Windows 11 is a normal full shutdown.
Do not shutdown in hibernate mode.
Hibernate will not fully release control of the drives.

HomerSimpson-head-slap.png
HomerSimpson-head-slap.png (33.2 KiB) Viewed 135 times

Mannn, I've been mucking about with Puppy too much recently... so my head has half-forgotten a lot of the Windows set-up (even though it's Win11 and not WinXP or Win8 or something)

I knew about hiberfil.sys mucking-up linux.. for years.. but it just slipped my mind.

We're back in business now, with Puppy being very happy once again.

Fanx! a heap.

Daily Use Puppies: F96-CE (migrating), Fossapup64 9.5, Xenial64 7.5, Slacko 6.3.2... Proud Puppy enthusiast since 2004
C, Perl, bash... for sysadmin, mini-apps... under DOS, Windoze, VMS, Linux... on PC, VAX... for 45+ years... :roll:

Return to “Users”