BookwormPup64 10.0.6

Moderator: Forum moderators

stemsee

Re: BookwormPup64 10.0.4

Post by stemsee »

dimkr wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:37 am

elogind is present but it doesn't run. It can't run. If it does run - this is an illusion because it's not doing anything. Puppy uses busybox login instead of proper login, so it doesn't support PAM, and the whole session activation and deactivation logic required by logind or elogind happens through PAM. This can't be fixed within Puppy's current architecture - this requires switching from busybox init to systemd, from busybox login to shadow login, [...]. In addition, the concept of "sessions" isn't compatible with a system that has two users that run graphical applications (root and spot) because a session is tied to a user, and there can be only one session at a time (another limitation of Puppy: no multiseat support).

Any systemd setup has automatic multiseat support.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

stemsee wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:20 am

On the surface level - yes. But you need a display manager (like GDM) that talks to logind through PAM, you need a session bus for each user, and Puppy is a special case because spot and root are "logged in" at the same time and their applications run side by side on the same monitor, sometimes even talk to each other. Migrating Puppy to systemd will be super hard (no more rc.sysinit, etc'), and Puppy will need some special tweaks not found in other distros (to make spot work, and to make things work when the user is logged in as root).

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

Posting the libdvdcss library with conventional split-off DEV package which is only needed if you are going to be compiling anything which depends on it.
I presume Woof-CE people will decide how best to approach this, does a petbuild need to be set up or should a manually built package be uploaded to one of the repos? I am not familiar with the details of the build mechanism, but if dimkr is reading this, Vanilla Dpup has the same issue. 32bit library has been posted in the BookwormPup32 feedback thread.

Attachments
libdvdcss-1.4.3-x86_64-bkwm.pet
(15.11 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
libdvdcss_DEV-1.4.3-x86_64-bkwm.pet
(2.63 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
dancytron

Post by dancytron »

dimkr wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:45 pm
stemsee wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:20 am

On the surface level - yes. But you need a display manager (like GDM) that talks to logind through PAM, you need a session bus for each user, and Puppy is a special case because spot and root are "logged in" at the same time and their applications run side by side on the same monitor, sometimes even talk to each other. Migrating Puppy to systemd will be super hard (no more rc.sysinit, etc'), and Puppy will need some special tweaks not found in other distros (to make spot work, and to make things work when the user is logged in as root).

Although I firmly believe that running as root is just fine, I wonder if maybe the better long term approach is to make running as a regular user appear to be just like running as root instead of continuing to swim against the current.

The mainstream linux people will still look down on us for that. :roll:

retiredt00

Post by retiredt00 »

Dear dimkr
I'm happy to see you still involved in other/older puppies
I was wondering if you happened to see these posts regarding laptop suspend on lid closure
viewtopic.php?p=107932#p107932
viewtopic.php?p=108560#p108560
viewtopic.php?p=108569#p108569
and if you have any inut.
Thank you

wiak

Post by wiak »

dancytron wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:02 pm

I wonder if maybe the better long term approach is to make running as a regular user appear to be just like running as root instead of continuing to swim against the current.

I do still run as root sometimes (depending which OS I am booting), but overall the above the approach is to me the best. As someone who does some dev work and a lot of admin work, traditional normal user desktop is a bit painful, but it doesn't take much to remove most if not all of that pain and the benefit thereafter is that most everything expected works without too many 'tricks' involving the likes of run-as-spot
Furthermore, Wayland has upped the stakes on such matters it seems - attempts to always run or pretty much always run as user root is fraught with difficulties that ultimately have become a waste of development effort and nothing thus to boast about in terms of being any kind of superior 'feature'.

So much better for the long term is to change focus to the above and spend the needed development time involved to make the underlying processes/mechanisms behind the creation of that illusion as invisible or convenient in practice as possible. But whatever... I generally use the above approach personally (albeit not with Puppy Linux, which doesn't really allow for that at present), but can't say I have developed that alternative way of avoiding 'issues' such that it becomes more friendly for other users; I've never had time since not enough time for other priorities anyway.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

I don't want to hijack Radky's thread.

I'll post something relevant on the MX thread in Off Topic when I finish figuring out how I want to set that up.

proebler

a case for Note Case

Post by proebler »

A 'plug' for Note Case notes manager.
I have used Note Case for a long time and have collected a lot of information in .ncd files.
I would miss not having it in BW Pup64.

So here then is Note Case as a .pet and also as an SFS for use in BW Pup64.
Both include the application notecase version 1.9.8 , taken from
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... x86_64.pet
plus the needed dependency libgtksourceview-2.0.so.0.0.0 and the link libgtksourceview-2.0.so.0

Installation/mounting (click in ROX-Filer) shows Note Case in menu Personal.

I also have made a .pet and an SFS for the Note Case help file.

Because of the size limit for attachments, the 4 files (2x .pet and 2x SFS) are in 2 separate posts.

Of course, both the .pets and the SFSs can be merged.
I hope this helps others to use Note Case BW Pup64.

Attachments
notecase-1.9.8-x86_64_Help-file.pet
(156.36 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
notecase-1.9.8-x86_64_BW-10.pet
(358.02 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Last edited by proebler on Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
proebler

a case for Note Case

Post by proebler »

part #2

Attachments
notecase-1.9.8-x86_64_Help-file_10.0.4.sfs
(164 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
notecase-1.9.8-x86_64_BW-10.sfs
(380 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

How do you disable this lock screen business (is it XLock, never used it before but seems on as per default)? Some gibberish diplaying on screen and needs a password to unlock. What is the password BTW and how do you enter it because nothing is showing on screen when you type in something. But mainly, I just want to get rid of it.

rerwin

Connectwizard Integrates Connman Switcher

Post by rerwin »

@radky
Connectwizard now supports Connman as one of the network managers and includes the switching of network monitors, all without the need to reboot.

The package for this is network_connect_update-20240114, available at viewtopic.php?p=2241#p2241

It uses the xdg autostart structure in FP96 an BWP but slightly changes how it is used. Instead of copying the network monitor files, it merely sets a link to one or the other in autostart. Since the monitor files are more than "backups", I renamed the sub-directory to "netmons". The package removes the default copy of connman-gtk-ui and substitutes the new "netmon" link to it in the netmons (backup) directory. These changes are made only if the installation has connman installed.

The only visible differences are that the internet connect switcher menu item is gone and connman appears in the connectwizard list of available network managers.

I tested the package on Bionic, Fossa, Fossa96CE and Bookworm 64 & 32. I found that the Network Wizard wireless connection may not work after installation of the package but will work after a reboot. SNS and Frisbee seem to work without a reboot after installation.

If you uninstall the package, a reboot is necessary to display the connman monitor icon.

Please provide any feedback to the thread at the above link.

Richard

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

amethyst wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:50 pm

How do you disable this lock screen business (is it XLock, never used it before but seems on as per default)? Some gibberish diplaying on screen and needs a password to unlock. What is the password BTW and how do you enter it because nothing is showing on screen when you type in something. But mainly, I just want to get rid of it.

bump...bump...bump...
This seems to happen when the machine goes to sleep (every time I close the lid) and is driving me crazy because I need to reboot. What is the password and how do I get rid of it, I want to wake the machine without having to go through this password drama?

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

amethyst wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:43 am
amethyst wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:50 pm

bump...bump...bump...

Hi @amethyst . Until an official response from a developer surfaces, is this forum post by @ozsouth related or helpful?

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Okay, I had a look at the /etc/acpi folder. It looks like uncommenting the DISABLE_LOCK='yes' line in the acpi.conf file does the trick (it's commented out by default). Restart X after you have changed it and save the setting. BTW - This could also help if your machine "struggle" to wake up. After this change my laptop awakes promptly when pressing the power button.

oldaolgeezer

Post by oldaolgeezer »

Using an earphone with Bookworm_Pup64_10.0.4 on a Dell Latitude 5490 laptop:

(I wish to thank all the members of the BW64 development team.)

I have been trying my Dell Latitude 5490 laptop with
Bookworm_Pup64_10.0.4 Puppy.

During my recent tests, I plugged in my earphones and tried some
news websites playing their videos with the builtin Firefox browser.
I was surprised when others in my family complained that they were
having difficulty enjoying their movie on the nearby TV set because
of my laptop's loud sound !

I was surprised when I took my earphones off my head that I too could easily
hear my laptop's audio sound.
(I thought, in many older Puppies and in Windows, merely plugging in the earphone plug
turned off the laptop's speakers.)

With Bookworm Puppy on this laptop, it seemed that I needed to right click on the "speaker"
icon on the bottom right corner of my screen and choose "Preferences"
and then, in the Volume Control window, choose "Output Devices" then on
Port: "Speakers" and slide that slider to "silence".

Was there an easier way to silence my laptop's speakers when using earphones ?

Attachments
Perferences, choose Output Devices, Port, Speakers and slide slider to silence.png
Perferences, choose Output Devices, Port, Speakers and slide slider to silence.png (34.56 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

With headphones selected.

Try clicking on the green check mark icon.

Does it now only have sound by the headphones?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Anyone.

When I start a file copy operation from one device to another, ROX freezes until the operation completes. As I am sure others, too, have notice similarly, is this due to the kernel and some sort of Realtime feature that is producing this behavior or something else?

Curious.

petihar

Mouse cursor frozen after remaster

Post by petihar »

Hello,
After a remaster of BookwormPup64 the mouse cursor and touchpad remain frozen. I've encountered this problem with versions 10.0.4 and 10.0.3, with a wireless mouse and the same with a wired mouse.
Has anyone encountered this problem before? I can't find the answer on the forum...
Kind regards, petihar.

d-pupp

Post by d-pupp »

@Clarity
I use Vanilladpup and it does the same thing. I believe older puppies showed the files being copied by default. I think there is a check mark in the copy box to show the files being copied or just be quiet.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

ROX-Filer is unmaintained for years, and it's super unlikely that something has changed. This is the changelog for the version used in BookwormPup64 (AFAIK), and the only changes since 2019 are one bug fix (ROX-Filer stuck when browsing /proc), a cosmetic fix when using overlay (xattrs emblems in files without any xattrs) and a fix for build failure with modern compilers. Nothing related to file copying. If this is a bug, it's probably an old bug.

d-pupp

Post by d-pupp »

I did some testing and it looks to me like it just the way it works.
If I copy or move a large folder it shows individual files. However if it is a large compressed file gz, iso .img it doesn't show individual files and appears to freeze while the operation is going on in the background.

Feek

Post by Feek »

However if it is a large compressed file gz, iso .img it doesn't show individual files and appears to freeze while the operation is going on in the background.

I always assumed this was normal behavior. An .iso file or similar is copied as just one single item. These files (like .iso) tend to be larger in size, so it will take some time to copy/move. I never thought of it as freezing.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Feek wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:34 pm

... I always assumed this was normal behavior. ...

Yes, like you it is behavior that I've always felt odd as the file-system/ROX/desktop-windows are unresponsive until the operation is completed, It hampers production as the user cannot proceed with other folder-file needs until the current ROX file operation is completed.

BTW: I am aware of some PUP distros moving away from ROX. This ROX behavior fact may be one of the reason why.

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

Clarity wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:09 am

Yes, like you it is behavior that I've always felt odd as the file-system/ROX/desktop-windows are unresponsive until the operation is completed, It hampers production as the user cannot proceed with other folder-file needs until the current ROX file operation is completed.

I simply cannot confirm this. I opened several ROX window and copied BW64's ISO from one location of my slow USB stick to another, which takes a while. During the process I could see the progress in the destination window (using its Rescan button) and I could access the other windows and delete files in them. Nothing freezes. The result is the same, no matter if I use drag and drop or Copy and Paste.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@MochiMoppel
As a point of comparison, I use XFE file manager a lot and it opens a progress bar window when copying. However, the bar is not accurate and with large transfers will show 100% long before copying is complete. Good thing is the progress bar window does not close until it is actually done. Also, you can continue to operate while copying.

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

wizard wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:49 pm

@MochiMoppel
As a point of comparison, I use XFE file manager a lot and it opens a progress bar window when copying.

Same as ROX

However, the bar is not accurate and with large transfers will show 100% long before copying is complete.

I assume that the copy process is complete but data are still written from the write cache. Still it looks pretty accurate.
ROX is different because what its progress bar measures is not byte transferred but files processed.
Example: When you copy 2 files, ROX "grabs" the first file, starts progress window, then calls the cp command to do the actual copying, prompting a progress bar with 1 of 2 "in progress" (=50% !) . When the first file is copied and the second copy starts, the progress bar disappears because, in ROX's logic, the progress has reached 100%.
This means that if you copy only one file, the progress starts with 100% and there is no need to show a progress bar in the progress window. Maybe this is perceived as "freezing"?

Good thing is the progress bar window does not close until it is actually done.

Same as ROX

Also, you can continue to operate while copying.

Same as ROX

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

After trying Bookworm, I think that Synaptic does a poor job of removing manually installed programs when compared to puppy's PPM.

Generally Synaptic only removes the single file it is asked to remove. "Complete" removal only removes configuration files for that one file, not any dependencies. Also nothing is listed or explained to the user about optional associated files which may no longer be needed.

PPM does remove many associated files automatically and does provide information to the user about files to optionally manually delete.

Synaptic is just a single file removal tool as far as I can see.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Problem booting a computer because of the kernel in BookwormPup64 10.0.4

This computer (Lenovo Ideapad 100S-11IBY) won't boot this version of BookwormPup64.

There were all kinds of things tried, before changing the kernel, to one that seems to be configured for proper support, for the computers internal eMMC drive.

One of the kernels that did work was the one that is in BookwormPup64 10.0.1, which is not the same kernel, as the one in BookwormPup64 10.0.4.

This is the start of the posts, talking about changing to a different kernel, to fix the boot issue. Other posts after it, with reasons why it worked.
viewtopic.php?p=110215#p110215

Something to consider with the next update for BookwormPup64 and exactly where you are getting the compiled kernel from.
Seems how the kernel gets compiled and configured, needs to be a little different for use in Puppy Linux, and how it boots.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

gyrog

Post by gyrog »

bigpup wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:06 pm

One of the kernels that did work was the one that is in BookwormPup64 10.0.1, which is not the same kernel, as the one in BookwormPup64 10.0.4.

Sorry, but a slight clarification, (my fault for not being clearer).
The kernel that worked was extracted from a working install of BookwormPup64 10.0.1 on my Lenovo Ideapad 100S-11IBY.
I can not be sure if it is the one that was released with BookwormPup64 10.0.1, or it's one I compiled for my Lenovo.
I have not been able to find a copy of the release BookwormPup64 10.0.1 ISO file so I could check for sure.

However the 6.1.69 kernel extracted from this file "kernel-kit-output-usrmerge-6.1.x-x86_64.zip" also works.

The point still stands, the kernel in the BookwormPup64 10.0.4 lacks a broad support for eMMC devices.
I endorse @bigpup's comment.

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

I'm going to just expand a little upon my last comment about removing manually installed files in BookwormPup.

If I wanted to assist in testing of a new version, how do you remove a test application? Suppose Synaptic brings in 30 individual dependencies when you install a single application in a clean savefile. And then you want to remove that application. How are you guys doing that?

Synaptic seems to be able only to remove a single file. So you can remove the main app file, but none of the 30 dependencies

Unless, that is, you are aware of each one by name, hunt each one down after a search in the giant list, and then remove it manually, and repeat that exercise to remove them one at a time. To me, this is going back to the dark ages of package management. It seems to me most users therefore won't remove any installed dependencies, either because they can't spend the time to hunt them down, or because they just assume that the function "complete removal" does that (It doesn't). It seems to me that as a result of the faulty app removal function, systems will soon get bloated, and possibly also filled with problematic files which were never removed.

I apologize if I'm being stupid here, and missing some feature of Synaptic, but I just can't find anything in it that will remove a full application once installed.

There must be a way testers are handling this....how are you handling removal of Synaptic installed programs in BookwormPup64? Thanks.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Return to “BookwormPup”