Applications in pupsave file?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Wall_axe

Applications in pupsave file?

Post by Wall_axe »

The max pupsave is 4gb but Gimp takes up about 1-2gb itself.
Would applications like gimp take up space in the pupsave file?

mikewalsh

Re: Applications in pupsave file?

Post by mikewalsh »

@Wall_axe :-

Ok. Perusing your other thread, I'm assuming this is Fossapup64, yes? And you say you have a maximum space limitation of 4 GB, yes? This tells me that you've created a save-file.....which is the old way of doing things.

Any reason why you didn't create a save-folder.....or were you not offered the option when creating the save? If so, that further tells me that you have Fossapup64 installed on a FAT32-formatted partition.....since a save-file is the only option offered with such a setup, and is subject to the maximun individual file-size under FAT32. Which IS 4 GB.

Any reason why you didn't choose a 'proper' Linux filesystem, like ext3 or ext4? Is this all to do with having Puppy on the same machine as Windows, as a dual-boot?

(I produce a whole range of 'portable' applications for Puppy, including GIMP-portable.....and these will run from outside the 'save'......even from another flash drive. But these presuppose that Puppy will be running on a Linux file-system, like ext2, 3,or 4.......for the very simple reason that sym-links are often involved. And FAT32 does not support sym-links. So anybody running Puppy on FAT32 is usually voluntarily denying themselves the use of many of Puppy's best features (many of which also need a Linux file-system to work properly)).

Mike. Image

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Wall_axe wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:28 pm

The max pupsave is 4gb but Gimp takes up about 1-2gb itself.
Would applications like gimp take up space in the pupsave file?

a savefolder is unlimited in size but you need to have an ext partition to make one

Wall_axe

Post by Wall_axe »

Oh I tried installing it with frugalpup install took but it took hours and didn't work.

So I tried the other puppy install tool with the lightning bolt icon.

I pushed the button to quickly make it a boot disk but it formatted the whole 64gb drive to fat32 maybe. It only took minutes strangely.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

once you get the partitioning step done correctly, frugalpup shouldnt take any longer than stickpup

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Formatting your drive to Linux so that you can use a SaveFolder would be better. And as a safety precaution, having Puppy on a USB-Key to do that would be advised: not leave you without an Operating System if something goes wacko. But if you boot pfix=ram*, this recipe can also be used with hard-drives, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 85#p102085

It is possible to live with only a small SaveFile. See, viewtopic.php?p=43296#p43296. Note that Mikewalsh's gimp-portable, viewtopic.php?t=3574&sid=70a546d8565323 ... f00b2e76a7 does not occupy space in a SaveFile, can be started from the LAUNCH script in its own folder; and even creating a Menu-listing via the included Menu-Add script will only place less than a Mb of files in a SaveFile.

See, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 734#p48734 for many other portables. And peruse the Additional Software Forum, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewforum.php?f=7, for SFSes and AppImages which --like portables-- can be used without installation.

-=-=-=-=-

• Ask how if you need to.
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

You really need to give us more information so we do not have to guess.
viewtopic.php?t=218

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “Beginners Help”