Update Hexchat server list and Geany

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

AntonioPt

Update Hexchat server list and Geany

Post by AntonioPt »

Hello everyone

Everytime im in irc i join new and old server to help new members,... and i notice every single puppy old or new still dont have hexchat serverlist updated as well Geany when it comes to run a bash script so i decide to make 2 simple pets to update this bugs for allmost all Puppys hope it help all.

Attachments
update_hex.pet
(2.23 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
update_geany.pet
(440 Bytes) Downloaded 52 times
Last edited by AntonioPt on Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:39 am, edited 4 times in total.

Why astronauts use Linux
Because you can't open windows in space

BarryK

Re: Update Hexchat server list and Geany

Post by BarryK »

Thanks for the hexchat serverlist update.

EasyOS has hexchat version 2.16.1, so I don't know if the serverlist is out of date.
Anyway, I have downloaded your servelist file and it will be in the next release of EasyOS (5.6.3).

Well, I see one thing new, you have "J #puppylinux" in libera.chat, missing from the original file.

AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

BarryK wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:53 am

Thanks for the hexchat serverlist update.

EasyOS has hexchat version 2.16.1, so I don't know if the serverlist is out of date.
Anyway, I have downloaded your servelist file and it will be in the next release of EasyOS (5.6.3).

Well, I see one thing new, you have "J #puppylinux" in libera.chat, missing from the original file.

yes and this is why everybody goes to freenode actualy i add all lines of Libera.irc :D but your are wellcome and gr8 job for all puppies,... :D

Why astronauts use Linux

Burunduk

Post by Burunduk »

AntonioPt wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:18 pm

as well Geany when it comes to run a bash script

update_geany.pet overwrites the existing geany configuration file - /root/.config/geany/geany.conf - erasing all the customized user preferences.
If your intention is just to fix terminal_cmd=rxvt -e "/bin/sh "%c" (messed up quotes), you could add a sed command to a pinstall.sh script of your pet. But it's been fixed already, so latest puppy releases don't need this correction.

AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

Burunduk wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:19 am
AntonioPt wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:18 pm

as well Geany when it comes to run a bash script

update_geany.pet overwrites the existing geany configuration file - /root/.config/geany/geany.conf - erasing all the customized user preferences.
If your intention is just to fix terminal_cmd=rxvt -e "/bin/sh "%c" (messed up quotes), you could add a sed command to a pinstall.sh script of your pet. But it's been fixed already, so latest puppy releases don't need this correction.

hello @Burunduk thankyou and yes you are right about it i should jus use a SED command but to convert to pet i didnt knew how thats why i did the pet so yes again you are right and thxx for your input

Why astronauts use Linux

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi Antonio:

Nice to heard of you....

Thanks for sharing these updates, but here I wanna underline my feelings with Hexchat.-

It could be a fantastic resource, but (exception made of some users... u included) it is an unuseful resource (for me at last),- No participation, No colaboration No helpful people.... If a new puppy user goes to this place to socialice.... He gonna forget puppy in a moment.

It is my sensation after days waitting for an answer.

As I said, I don't like it at all (there you can find users what are always connected but never helping)

My oppinion, oc.

:arrow:

XFCE_FUSILLI . ===> https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/

YouTube How_To . ==> https://bit.ly/f96ce_xfce_fusilli_HOWTO

Learning EASY OS . => https://easyos.org/

Burunduk

Post by Burunduk »

AntonioPt wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:00 am

i should jus use a SED command but to convert to pet i didnt knew how thats why i did the pet

I've made a sample pet. It probably only works for Fossapup64-9.5 and shouldn't change anything in other puppy distros.
The pet installs nothing but the pinstall.sh script runs anyway during the installation and tries to edit the geany configuration file.

It's maybe a strange way to run a simple command. However, this way you don't need to explain to your users how to make files executable nor how to open a terminal emulator and copy/paste to it.

Attachments
update_geany.pet
an (almost) empty pet package
(440 Bytes) Downloaded 35 times
AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

hello @pp4mnklinux how are you ?

First thxx for your replay,... about old IRC channel i leave it on because i join both channels to redirect new users to the new server thats all but yeah i get it well what you mean but i remove the old server from my pet

Why astronauts use Linux

AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

Burunduk wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:59 am
AntonioPt wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:00 am

i should jus use a SED command but to convert to pet i didnt knew how thats why i did the pet

I've made a sample pet. It probably only works for Fossapup64-9.5 and shouldn't change anything in other puppy distros.
The pet installs nothing but the pinstall.sh script runs anyway during the installation and tries to edit the geany configuration file.

It's maybe a strange way to run a simple command. However, this way you don't need to explain to your users how to make files executable nor how to open a terminal emulator and copy/paste to it.

hey Burunduk thankyou very much i just notice you did some wrong as well but i just fix it there was a extra Quotes on it terminal_cmd=rxvt -e /bin/sh "%c"

Why astronauts use Linux

Burunduk

Post by Burunduk »

AntonioPt wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:21 am

there was a extra Quotes on it terminal_cmd=rxvt -e /bin/sh "%c"

The default geany.conf file in Fossapup64-9.5 contains the line with a typo that needs to be fixed:

terminal_cmd=rxvt -e "/bin/sh "%c"

All my pinstall.sh script has is a single sed command:

sed -i 's!terminal_cmd=rxvt -e "/bin/sh "%c"!terminal_cmd=defaultterminal -e /bin/sh %c!' /root/.config/geany/geany.conf

The extra quote is here for a reason. It is the typo that sed has to find and replace. If you remove it, the script won't find it.

If you need more information about sed, you can read https://aurelio.net/sed/sed-howto/ - it's in Portuguese but I think the GNU sed manual has a better description of the sed's s command.

AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

Burunduk wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:21 am
AntonioPt wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:21 am

there was a extra Quotes on it terminal_cmd=rxvt -e /bin/sh "%c"

The default geany.conf file in Fossapup64-9.5 contains the line with a typo that needs to be fixed:

terminal_cmd=rxvt -e "/bin/sh "%c"

All my pinstall.sh script has is a single sed command:

sed -i 's!terminal_cmd=rxvt -e "/bin/sh "%c"!terminal_cmd=defaultterminal -e /bin/sh %c!' /root/.config/geany/geany.conf

The extra quote is here for a reason. It is the typo that sed has to find and replace. If you remove it, the script won't find it.

If you need more information about sed, you can read https://aurelio.net/sed/sed-howto/ - it's in Portuguese but I think the GNU sed manual has a better description of the sed's s command.

ohh right got it what you are saying and i didnt see full command line,...

Just updated both files and thankyou

Why astronauts use Linux

TechPup

Post by TechPup »

Would be nice if puppy talked to some sort of server for any changes. so the irc client wouldnt get you to the Freenode version of #puppylinux or something :D

[CONCEPT]
Puppy: Hey 233.54.35.66! Any changes?
Server (233.54.35.66): Yeah, the puppylinux channel in the hexchat client moved from Freenode to Libera
Puppy: Copy that, thanks!
-Puppy closed the communication-
User: Opens the hexchat client
Puppy: Hey user, the puppylinux channel moved to another server, redirecting you there.

Return to “Users”