Which Puppy for Session, Signal/Molly, Telegram, Element/Matrix and Daily Driver Plus Required Programs?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

hundido

Which Puppy for Session, Signal/Molly, Telegram, Element/Matrix and Daily Driver Plus Required Programs?

Post by hundido »

Session, Signal/Molly, Telegram, Discord, Element/Matrix, Keybase, and Jitsi are the programs I use to communicate most with other people.

I'm trying to make Puppy/something Puppylike my daily driver again, and I need to get those running well to do that.

From Bookworm, I got Session running from the terminal. When I tried to close the terminal and leave Session open, it started opening dozens? thousands? of blank windows on my desktop, and I ended up hard powering off.

From Easy OS, I used the AppImage downloader to get Discord. It wanted me to download an update into the downloads folder, and I got lost.

Which Puppy/Puppylike distro is going to run Session, Signal/Molly, Telegram, Discord, Element/Matrix, Keybase, and Jitsi the best, most easily and reliably, preferably all at the same time, and how-to do that?

Last edited by hundido on Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
hundido

Re: Session, Signal/Molly, Telegram, Discord, Element/Matrix, Keybase, Jitsi

Post by hundido »

Blank = to be tested

edit: a post that included testing of Easy OS, F96, and Bookworm, because page navigation is a lot easier for me with shorter blocks of text. the other parts of this post are now a few posts down.

Bookworm
Session, - downloaded from site, ran using ./session-desktop-linux-x86_64-1.11.4.AppImage --no-sandbox, closed terminal, infinite windows rapidly opened, hard power-off
Signal/Molly,
Telegram,
Discord,
Element/Matrix
Keybase, ubuntu/deb instructions on keybase website to install.
Jitsi

Last edited by hundido on Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:19 am, edited 10 times in total.
williwaw

Re: Session, Signal/Molly, Telegram, Discord, Element/Matrix, Keybase, Jitsi

Post by williwaw »

what command did you use to run session.
what happens if you ctrl-c in terminal instead of killing terminal

in easy with the appimage, is easy trying to update the appimage or is discord trying to update after it starts

the lists of programs without comment listed under the os.
are successes or failures?

hundido

Re: Session, Signal/Molly, Telegram, Element/Matrix, and Daily Driver Required Programs

Post by hundido »

the lists of programs without comment listed under the os.
are successes or failures?

working through testing them, using that to track it all, keep me on track

in easy with the appimage, is easy trying to update the appimage or is discord trying to update after it starts

discord starts, it gives me the option to download updates from .deb to the downloads folder, i didn't know what to do

what command did you use to run session.
what happens if you ctrl-c in terminal instead of killing terminal

The terminal stays open, and Session stops and closes. my goal was to close the terminal window to get more space on the task bar, and keep session running

williwaw

Re: Session, Signal/Molly, Telegram, Element/Matrix, and Daily Driver Required Programs

Post by williwaw »

viewtopic.php?p=88027&hilit=appi+update#p88027

https://bkhome.org/news/202304/appimage ... e-fix.html

flatpak issues? that time thing was resolved with an easy update I think

hundido

Post by hundido »

splitting this into three posts so i don't have text jumping and accidentally deleting stuff mishaps

Easy OS:
Session: Downloaded, I need to find out how to ask Easy OS to do its thing with a new AppImage that's not already in its system
Signal/Molly, Under flatpack installer, keeps saying,

Code: Select all

ERROR: Failure registering with Flathub repository

It wants me to sychronize my time from the internet. i've done that about 5 times and it keeps not working. Maybe important: I'm in AKDT, and have had more problems with that time zone on more distros than any other time zone I've ever lived in.
Telegram, 8-) working well
Discord, - Downloaded, opened, wanted to download updates to downloads before it would let me into the servers. I'm confused.
Element/Matrix, Not sure where to look
Keybase, Which of the directions on the keybase website do I follow? I'm confused.
Jitsi - :thumbup: working

hundido

Post by hundido »

F96:
Session, -
Signal/Molly,
Telegram,
Discord,
Element/Matrix
Keybase,
Jitsi

hundido

Post by hundido »

after a few more days, what i learned:

i can get most of them working on Easy OS, but I can't get Easy OS to boot on my main computer

On the Puppies, I can get session running as an appimage with --no sandbox, but closing the terminal before the program causes major errors (windows infinitely opening) in at least 1 of the distros.

Side note: Session seems to lack persistence in non-debian and non-android distros. In Manjaro KDE, I can get the session appimage to open, but need to reenter that long phrase after rebooting.
(Edit: now session won't start on MX, either. Maybe the problem is Session. End edit)

I got all my required communication programs working in a persistent state in MX Linux, and on Android, so those are my daily drivers until I can figure out better solutions either through learning to make programs work on Puppy, or through simplifying my life until I only need 1-2 easy to use communication tools.

When my Pop! installation self-destructed, what saved me from having to ask a friend for an install media with my head hung low, was an old install of Easy OS I left on an old laptop. That was the seed that left me with at least one working operating system on at least one device, so I'm grateful to Puppy/Easy for saving my computer again.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@hundido :-

Do understand; when you open a program FROM the terminal, the program's "run-time" is tied TO that terminal session. Once you close the terminal, you've then effectively "killed" what spawned the process in the first place.....

I would help with these if I could, but most of them appear to require a smartphone app to already be installed and running. I'm a dinosaur; I don't possess a smartphone, nor do I want one.......not until I'm absolutely forced to, that is.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

williwaw

Re: Which Puppy for Session, Signal/Molly, Telegram, Element/Matrix and Daily Driver Plus Required Programs?

Post by williwaw »

most of them appear to require a smartphone app

even with a desktop version, How so?

until I can figure out better solutions either through learning to make programs work on Puppy, or through simplifying my life until I only need 1-2 easy to use communication tools.

Have you looked at DeltaChat ? It is end to end encrypted and available as a standalone desktop or a phone version (that can be synced with the desktop).

mikewalsh

Re: Which Puppy for Session, Signal/Molly, Telegram, Element/Matrix and Daily Driver Plus Required Programs?

Post by mikewalsh »

@williwaw :-

I say that about the requirement for a smartphone app for one simple reason.

Telegram used to be one of the very few chat messaging services that would run, on your desktop, off its own bat.....the desktop version was a true, standalone app. Yes, you "signed-in" with your phone number.....but that was it. I used to use this quite a bit.

With just about all the others, the desktop version has for long enough merely been an "extension" of the mobile app. It's taken for granted that you will already have the mobile app installed, registered, configured & fully-operational before you even think about adding the desktop app. Hence the 'requirement' to scan a QR code from within the smartphone app in order to register the desktop version, and to 'link' it to your mobile account.

Most of us are unusual in even bothering with the traditional computer format - desktops/laptops/netbooks. For many millions of people a smartphone does everything they need.....AND it fits in your pocket, so you can carry it around with you. Why bother looking anywhere else?

-------------------------------------------------

So goes the thinking....and is why the mobile version of just about everything gets top billing these days, ahead of everything else. It's automatically assumed you will have one. Why wouldn't you?

I'm a dinosaur. I don't HAVE a smartphone. I actually don't WANT one.......which is why I tend to be as inventive in coming up with things for the kind of hardware WE run as I sometimes am.

Mike. ;)

hundido

Post by hundido »

@mikewalsh
I don't know that most of them require a smart phone.

If someone wants to use the desktop app to verify an installation that syncs with a smartphone, or wants to install the desktop app on a newly installed system, the qr code can save some typing.

Most of them have recovery phrases, or if you want to bring your contacts and conversations to a new install of the same app, you can verify through another computer install, too.

I wish I could pick just one and stick with it, but I'd lose so much of what interests me. The Esperanto community is on two apps, Inkbox is on another, an accessibility project is on a third, two other distros that interest me have discussion groups on a 4th, one important friend only uses a 5th, and so on. What to do?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@hundido :-

I wish I could pick just one and stick with it, but I'd lose so much of what interests me. The Esperanto community is on two apps, Inkbox is on another, an accessibility project is on a third, two other distros that interest me have discussion groups on a 4th, one important friend only uses a 5th, and so on. What to do?

A-ha. I see. Sounds as though you need summat like Pidgin.....

.....which is supposed to allow connection to multiple chat networks at the same time, all from a single app. There's a whole collection of plugins which, apparently, is what really makes Pidgin work the way it does. It used to be quite common in Puppy, but I haven't seen it around for years. Perhaps there's a more modern equivalent; I couldn't say.

AFAICT, Pidgin should be available through the PPM from the repos for whatever Pup you're using.

Mike. ;)

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

"Which Puppy/Puppylike distro is going to run Session, Signal/Molly, Telegram, Discord, Element/Matrix, Keybase, and Jitsi the best, most easily and reliably, preferably all at the same time, and how-to do that?"

Mikewalsh's post regarding pidgin lead me here, https://pidgin.im/ from which you'll find the most recently published version (2.14 Modified 2020-01-14) for Ubuntu. None specifically for debian.

That date and OS suggests either F96-CE, viewtopic.php?t=8392 or Fossa64-Mid viewtopic.php?t=9266. Both are updates of the original Fossapup64. And indeed, their Puppy Package Manager can install the slightly older (2.12) version of pidgin.

While Ubuntu makes use of debian binaries, dimkr has recently reminded that these are in fact operating systems with differences. So, while I suggest trying Bookworm64 and VanillaDpup, running those Puppys you may have to hunt for some libraries to get pidgin working (if at all possible).

All the above mentioned Puppys will, in general, run the most recent versions of Web-facing applications. Both Bookworm64 and VanillaDpup include the apt package manager and synaptic. I think you can install the Flatpak system into both. Flatpak --while a resource hog-- may also be the easiest way to install and update applications.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

hundido wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:06 am

What to do?

Federated servers

hundido

Post by hundido »

Pidgin is installed in Bookworm 64, and now I just need to learn how to use it. :)

Return to “Users”