Got iPhone / iPad ? Fatdog desktop drive icons public beta 2 [SW TEST]

Moderators: kirk, jamesbond, p310don, JakeSFR, step, Forum moderators

step

Got iPhone / iPad ? Fatdog desktop drive icons public beta 2 [SW TEST]

Post by step »

2023-04-20 update: beta test 2 announcement
Changelog: Package updates to address reported issues.

Download the attached howto.pdf, and follow the instructions to first uninstall the old beta test packages then install the new packages.

2023-03-30 start: beta test announcement:

This thread is about a public test of Fatdog64 desktop drive icons for iPhone and iPads. If you have one of those, and would like to use them similarly to how you use a USB stick on Fatdog64, you my want to engage in this test. Instructions and downloads are given in the attached PDF file.

The software under test looks and acts very similarly to standard desktop drive icons. You connect the phone, a new icon appears on the desktop, you click the icon, rox opens a folder, you access files, and when you are finished you click the green square in the desktop icon to unmount the phone. Then you can unplug the phone. There are some extras that you will discover on your own.

Although this software looks like Fatdog64 system software it isn't; it's a standalone package. The difference is hardly noticeable, I think. Full integration into the system would not allow making a public test such as this one.

If you use your PC USB ports to recharge your iPhone or iPad be warned that this test software blacklists the apple fast charging module (available since kernel 5.7) to avoid some conflicts. Recharging will still work with the module disabled, just it won't be as "fast".

Thank you in advance for choosing to participate in this test.

--

edit: replaced PDF attachment - changed Appendix A

Attachments
howto.pdf
(186.08 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
step

Re: Got iPhone / iPad ? Fatdog desktop drive icons public beta [SW TEST]

Post by step »

The main reason for having a public test is to be able to test different phone models. These are the ones that were tested so far.

Model

iOS

Status

Notes

Testers

iPad 1

OK

step

iPhone 6

OK

(3)

step, dr__Dan

iPhone 7

OK

(1)(2)

dr__Dan

iPhone 8

OK

(1)(2)

dr__Dan

iPhone SE 20??

fail

desktop icon created but "ERROR: Device <id> not found!" when clicked

dr__Dan

Notes

(1) ROX can do seemingly everything on the device except creating a new blank file in a new blank directory.
(2) Saving a file directly from a program to the new directory works.
(3) On iphone 6 with no screen lock, the More menu displays app names but they can't be mounted (xscreenshot-20230404T210809.png)

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

I'm expecting to see smokey01 here.
Once upon a time he asked of how to access files on an iPhone ...

smokey01

Post by smokey01 »

I've never owned an iPhone but I do have an iPod nano 6th Gen. IIRC I was trying to find a way to transfer files from and to without having to use iTunes. I never did find a solution.

step

Post by step »

No, this solution only supports iphones and ipads. IIRC, there used to be some Windows programs for ipods but they stopped working long time ago as Apple progressively locked down their gadgets.

dr__Dan

Post by dr__Dan »

smokey01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:51 am

I've never owned an iPhone but I do have an iPod nano 6th Gen. IIRC I was trying to find a way to transfer files from and to without having to use iTunes. I never did find a solution.

step wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:55 am

No, this solution only supports iphones and ipads. IIRC, there used to be some Windows programs for ipods but they stopped working long time ago as Apple progressively locked down their gadgets.

As I understand it, MediaMonkey for Windows can do it, but it wants iTunes to be installed on the computer. I think I remember reading of a way to only install Apple's driver package, rather than the whole iTunes mess, but I don't know whether that combination will work. There are a couple of older Linux media players that claim to, but they are not being actively developed. I think Clementine is one of them. I was unable to get them to work, and don't much care anyway, so I just moved along.
Dan

9 years on with Fatdog64. :D

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

I wonder why a company who implements planned obsolence and instigates people to thrash their perfectly working phones so that they can sell new ones, year after year, can claim to be green ... and yet people believe them :o

Sorry @step, just couldn't resist. Back to topic, and I'll hide.

step

Re: Got iPhone / iPad ? Fatdog desktop drive icons public beta 2 [SW TEST]

Post by step »

2023-04-20 update: beta test 2 announcement
Changelog: Package updates to address reported issues.

See the first post in this thread. Thank you in advance for choosing to participate in this test.

dr__Dan

Post by dr__Dan »

I just tried this on a no-savefile 901 installation. It worked with some fiddling. I'll show the parts that needed attention.

Code: Select all

slapt-get -c /root/test_repo/config.rc -u
Retrieving package data [http://www.smokey01.com/fd800/test/]...Done
Retrieving patch list [http://www.smokey01.com/fd800/test/]...Done
Retrieving checksum list [http://www.smokey01.com/fd800/test/]...Done
Retrieving checksum signature [http://www.smokey01.com/fd800/test/]...Failed to download: HTTP response code said error
Retrieving ChangeLog.txt [http://www.smokey01.com/fd800/test/]...Done
Reading Package Lists...Done

slapt-get -c /root/test_repo/config.rc -s -i imobiledevice_fatdog --ignore-dep
Reading Package Lists...Done
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  libimobiledevice: Depends: libgcrypt
Suggested packages:
  libnotify 
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  ifuse libzip libimobiledevice libplist libusbmuxd imobiledevice_fatdog 
0 upgraded, 0 reinstalled, 6 newly installed, 0 to remove, 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 524.0kB of archives.
After unpacking 2.6MB of additional disk space will be used.
ifuse-1.1.4-x86_64-1 is to be installed
libzip-1.5.2-x86_64-1 is to be installed
libimobiledevice-1.3.0-x86_64-1 is to be installed
libplist-2.2.0-x86_64-1 is to be installed
libusbmuxd-2.0.2-x86_64-1 is to be installedlibcrypto.so.1.1
imobiledevice_fatdog-813.0.0-noarch-1 is to be installed
Done

I had to manually download the usbmuxd package, move it to the test_repo folder, install it, and then symlink libssl.so.1.1 and libcrypto.so.1.1 for version recognition, and even then I got

# pgrep -a usbmuxd
4237 usbmuxd

Nevertheless, I got it to run, and got this for the test:

# pgrep -a usbmuxd
4237 usbmuxd

I then plugged in an i-something, and it worked normally.

I hope that helps.

Dan

step

Post by step »

@dr__Dan, yes it helps. It looks like you installed packages for Fatdog64 813, which explains the error messages. There are updated imobiledevice packages in the 901 repo. If you installed those it should work without errors and without symlinks. But don't worry, I'll take a look and update the README for 901. Btw, I think you meant to insert something else in the first code box above.

dr__Dan

Post by dr__Dan »

Greetings step,
Yes, I did install the package from the test. Previously when I had looked for them in glsapt I didn't see them, and

step wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:55 pm
superchook wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:07 am

Has anyone running Fatdog64-814 or Fatdog64-900 any experience using imobiledevice6 to extract images from an iphone?
cheers,
Ken

You could try this viewtopic.php?t=8359. It was developed for Fatdog-813, and I expect it to work for 814. Nothing done for Fatdog64-900.

led me to believe that there was a difficulty to be overcome.
So, I installed the package from the 900 repository by gslapt, and had mixed results. I had to install the usbmuxd package afterward, as it did not get downloaded and installed in the process of installing the rest of the libimobiledevice suite. Having installed it and verified that it is running with pgrep -a usbmuxd, and having plugged in my "Apple core" and trusted the computer, I am showing nothing on the desktop even after disconnecting and reconnecting and restarting the iThingy. I reset the device trust settings and reconnected it, and then had to reauthorize the computer, but still no icon on the desktop.

I went back to the how-to document and checked its package list, and in addition to usbmuxd, I installed ifuse and libzip. I then grabbed the imobiledevice_fatdog-813.0.0-noarch-1.txz package and installed it, and now it all seems to be working. As before, I hope that helps.

Dan

Return to “Software”