Burning ISO: how to burn a live CD/DVD of Raspup 8.2.1 img for 32-bit laptop?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Blivon

Burning ISO: how to burn a live CD/DVD of Raspup 8.2.1 img for 32-bit laptop?

Post by Blivon »

Hello.

Burning the iso raspup-8.2.1-a60dc46d9-2gb-f2fs-swap.img to disc, it registers as still empty. Booting it is useless.
I tried it on two systems (Vista and Windows 7). Same result on both. I used imgburn on both. I used a dvd+r on the first and a dvd-rw on the second system.
Imgburn verifies the burned disc successfully on both systems, but there is nothing on the disc.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by bigpup on Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Choice is like a bag of apples: whichever one you pick will soon be rotten.

fredx181

Re: burning iso

Post by fredx181 »

First thought: you say iso, but raspup-8.2.1-a60dc46d9-2gb-f2fs-swap.img is a .img file and that's often for to write to e.g. USB not to DVD (as far as I know).

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

welcome to the forum,

I tried it on two systems (Vista and Windows 7). Same result on both. I used imgburn on both. I used a dvd+r on the first and a dvd-rw on the second system.
Imgburn verifies the burned disc successfully on both systems, but there is nothing on the disc.

As fred pointed out, you have an .img file rather than an iso file. These can expand into linux partitions, so if you are looking for linux partitions and/or linux filesystems on the dvd, while booted into windows, its likely windows wont report it, as windows only supports its own filesystems.
do you have any way to boot linux or puppy in any machine to verify the write?
if the write is there, but fails to boot, using linux tools to write the dvd may be easier, or at least you will be able to more easily find help on this forum if you use linux tools.
burning a puppy dvd for booting with your windows machine is an easy way to obtain the tools needed.

or

the verification could be a false positive and you need to do something different with imgburn. As it is a windows program you are using, searching
https://forum.imgburn.com/forum/4-guides/
may be useful.

Last edited by williwaw on Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Blivon :- Hallo....and :welcome: to the "kennels".

Fred and williwaw both know about this one. AFAIK, the .img format was never designed to work with the ISO 9660 filesystem (as used by optical discs). It was also never designed for optical discs anyway; every instance of this I've ever seen always expands, creates a pre-formatted filesystem of pre-determined size, then writes the expanded contents to it.......and the advice is always to 'install', or - more correctly - to 'burn' via "dd" to a USB drive.

In addition, there is usually a warning that whatever drive you use will be completely 'taken-over' by said 'install'.

As stated above, Windows is very "funny" about recognising filesystems other than those it uses natively itself. Said ability CAN be enabled, but it usually entails installing special software to do so...

Mike. ;)

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

ditto what fredx181 wrote.

See this thread about writing to a USB-Stick, https://superuser.com/questions/839502/ ... ent-for-dd. Rufus or dd are suggested. I'd go with Rufus. As Mikewalsh wrote, "In addition, there is usually a warning that whatever drive you use will be completely 'taken-over' by said 'install'." Rufus' GUI will make it clear what drive your writing to. Just be careful to examine your selection.

p.s. This post suggests that it is possible to burn an img to a dvd and provides instructions, https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/763 ... -10-a.html. However, Puppys have their own way of doing things and programs expecting 'the norm' rarely produce a fully functioning Puppy. By 'fully functioning' I mean in particular the ability to preserve customizations, settings and user-installed applications.

Instructions for deploying raspup are given here, including from Windows https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 9527#p9527. An SD card was the expected media. No instructions are given for deployment to a CD/DVD.

I scanned thru the entire raspup Section, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewforum.php?f=141, and could find nothing pertinent to burning it to a DVD. Your careful reading of that Section might find otherwise.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Raspup is a Puppy version for the Raspberry Pi computers.

This version of Puppy will not run any other type computer.

So, is that the computer you are trying to run?

The image file is designed for installing to a SD card that can be used in a Raspberry Pi computer as the drive for the computer.

The information of how to use image file to install to a SD card is given in the Raspup section of the forum.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Flash

Re: Burning ISO: how to burn a live CD/DVD of Raspup 8.2.1 img?

Post by Flash »

It's easy to tell if anything was burned to a CD-R or DVD-R: just look at the bottom of the disk. If anything was burned, the disk will look different, starting from the inner edge. This only applies to CDs and DVDs that were burned, not pressed.

You can estimate how much data was burned onto a CD-R or DVD-R. A CD-R holds about 700 MB, so if you burn 350 MB on a CD-R, the bottom of the disk will look different, from the inner edge to about halfway to the outer edge. A DVD-R holds 4.7 GB, if I remember, so a lot has to be burned onto it before you can see the difference.

I think an .iso is a file that contains files. I'm sure it's possible to make an .iso file from an .img file, but you might have to add a file to the .iso that the BIOS uses to boot the computer using the rest of the files on the CD.

Chaos coordinator :?
Blivon

Post by Blivon »

Okay, so I used a version that cannot be made into a bootable disk, and cannot be used on any system other than raspberry pi, which I do not have. And if there is information on the disc, which there is, Windows won’t show it because it contains a linux file system.

That’s helpful.

Is there a puppy linux version that doesn’t need raspberry pi and that can be burned as an .iso on a dvd for booting it up as a live cd/dvd? I am hoping to find and try a linux version that works on a laptop/notebook that has only 1 gb of memory/ram.

Flash

Post by Flash »

Blivon wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:22 am

Is there a puppy linux version that doesn’t need raspberry pi and that can be burned as an .iso on a dvd for booting it up as a live cd/dvd? I am hoping to find and try a linux version that works on a laptop/notebook that has only 1 gb of memory/ram.

Out of the hundreds of versions of Puppy Linux that are out there, you picked the one that will only run on a Raspberry pi. :lol:
I know that there are several fairly recent versions of Puppy that come in .iso. I don't offhand know which ones they are, but I don't think you'll have to look very hard to find one.
What you want to do is create a multisession DVD-R. This is a DVD-R that has not been finalized by the burning program, so that more can be added to the DVD-R. If you only have available a Windows computer to burn the DVD-R, you may have to do this as a two-step process. The first step is to burn a bootable Puppy Linux DVD-R using the Windows computer. It may give you the option of not finalizing the disk, I don't know. If it does, then it should have made a multisession DVD-R. If it doesn't, then the second step in making a multisession Puppy Linux DVD-R is to boot the DVD-R the Windows computer made and use one of Puppy Linux's burning programs to burn a multisession DVD-R.

The simplest way I've found to burn a multisession DVD-R is to use burniso2cd from the command line in Puppy Linux.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Flash wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:23 am

What you want to do is create a multisession DVD-R...................
.........................The simplest way I've found to burn a multisession DVD-R is to use burniso2cd from the command line in Puppy Linux.

Look at viewforum.php?f=126 to find a puppy that is a good choice for the age of your machine.
If you post the model and specs of the machine, others can help advise.

my guess is that if your machine is capable of booting from a USB, you might want use your dvd to install puppies to a USB, as you have more room for saves and can have multiple puppys installed on a single USB, should you want to see what works best with your machine and what your needs are for an OS.

Alternately, you can install a puppy iso directly to a USB from Windows. Search the forum for Rufus

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Any of the Puppy versions listed in this section of the forum will work on your computer. (Except Raspbian Buster only for Raspberry Pi computers)
viewforum.php?f=114

The make and model of the computer will help to give us info on what Puppy version may be best to use.

No one Puppy version will work 100% on all possible computers.
That is why there are always several versions to try.

It is more about what features the computers hardware support.
Especially the CPU, amount of RAM, graphics hardware, etc.......

With Puppy Linux, you may have to try a few versions to get the one that is best to use with your hardware.

Blivon

Post by Blivon »

Thank you for the help.

I will try to find a good one in iso format. However, as busy days are coming, it will take some time before I am able to start looking.

Why do I need to make a multisession dvd? With other linux distributions (Ubuntu, Linux Mint), burning an iso onto a dvd is simple and does not require me to do anything else (if I remember correctly).

I will see if I can find the specifications (it is not my own system). I might have written it down somewhere, could be on another forum.

Edit: these are (some of) the specs (found them on another forum):

It’s a 32bit (x86) system, and now has Windows Vista Ultimate installed (originally Vista home, but didn’t own that one)
Mobile intel(r) 945 express chipset family
Conexant high definition audio
Intel(r) celeron(r) m cpu 430 @ 1.73 ghz
And of course the 1 gb of memory

Last edited by Blivon on Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Flash

Post by Flash »

You don't have to make a multisession DVD, Puppy will boot either way. A multisession DVD allows you to save to the DVD. If you can't do it, don't worry about it.

Here, for instance, is an .iso of Fossapup. It's pretty big, over 400 MB, but give it a try.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Blivon wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:50 pm

Why do I need to make a multisession dvd? With other linux distributions (Ubuntu, Linux Mint), burning an iso onto a dvd is simple and does not require me to do anything else (if I remember correctly).

a cd or dvd boot disc with most other distributions is "live" . it allows you to operate the OS but does not allow you to save your work or add programs.
puppy allows you run a cd or dvd as "live", and also has the ability to save data, if you have a drive that you can save to.

the dvd multi session is one way to utilize saves. the only reason you would need to make a dvd multisession is if you do not have any read/write disks on the machine to keep changes and saves on.

If you want to have the ability to save changes, installing to a USB is easiest most pratical way. it can be done from a live cd or dvd

there are older machines that do not have BIOS that capable of USB boot, so without looking thru the firmware menus of the computer, knowing the make model and year built is needed to be able to research the BIOS capability for USB
boot.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

The major fly in your ointment is that you only have 1Gb of RAM. That your computer may only be able to run 32bit systems could add further complications. That it may have a 32-bit Windows operating system does not determine that it is not capable of running 64-bit operating systems. Most computers manufactured in the last 20 year could run 64-bit systems. The primary reason they came with 32bit Window was so that Microsoft could sell 64-bit systems at premium prices.

Once you have any Puppy running, you can open Menu>System>Pup-SysInfo whose various sections will reveal, among other things, all the hardware components of the computer. It may not be the Puppy you finally choose, but with only 1Gb of RAM at the current time, it's probably best to start with a 32-bit Puppy.

As has previously been mentioned, the easiest way to obtain a fully functioning Puppy from a computer running Windows is to use Rufus to burn it to a USB. See my prior post for the link detailing how to use Rufus.

Puppies can be burned to a CD or DVD. That media doesn't even have to be READ-Write. Just remember when burning to leave the CD/DVD open.

I just booted into an older Puppy, Xenialpup32 bit. After opening Firefox web-browser and with it a Youtube video, PupSysInfo reported that over 700 Mbs of RAM were being used. A less RAM-demanding web-browser such as PaleMoon or Seamonkey would likely still have required 500 Mbs. But each additional tab would likely have demanded an additional 100 Mbs. 1Gb just doesn't go far with today's web. Although not by much, 64bit systems require more RAM; and as their applications are also slightly larger/more-RAM-demanding, the effect is cumulative.

A swapfile or partition will help to some extent. But it's 10x slower than RAM. So the 'help' is that it may prevent the system from hanging indefinitely or crashing. If the computer is otherwise serviceable, I recommend adding more RAM. The cost of additional RAM for an old computers is cheap compared to the cost of replacing the computer. And there are Youtubes showing how to add Memory. Even I (all thumbs) have managed.

Off hand, I suggest you start with Dpup-Stretch, viewforum.php?f=123 which booted to desktop only reducing available RAM for other work by 68 Mbs. There are others --such as 32bit S15Pup, VanillaDpup and Voidpup-- which are newer. But I don't recall any posts noting their RAM demands. Anyone having such knowledge, please report.
If you can boot up Dpup-Stretch PupSysInfo will give us a better idea of the computer's capabilities.

p.s. It is increasingly difficult to obtain 32bit web-browsers. Their days are numbered. But as a practical matter 4Gbs are the minimum for a responsive 64bit system.

Last edited by mikewalsh on Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Couple of small spelling corrections....
Blivon

Post by Blivon »

You are right. The 1 gb of ram is why I am looking to try a Puppy Linux system. In Windows Vista, the Youtube videos stutter all the time. I was hoping this would not be the case in a Linux system. Anyway, the laptop would not be used for anything else than watching Youtube videos. It is my father’s laptop. He likes to watch videos of trains, but hates the stuttering.

Adding ram to a laptop could mean opening it up. I am horrible at those things (did it once and created a huge paperweight in the process).

I could ask him if he has a usb-drive.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Hi Blivon,

The problem of computers with limited RAM shows up not infrequently. As I don't have personal knowledge of Puppys more recent than the 4 year old BusterPup I've posted a question about RAM demands of more recent 32-bit Puppys here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 47#p100547.

Although dpup-stretch or Busterpup would be serviceable, a newer Puppy with newer glibc libraries would have a longer 'useful life-span'. Glibc is a foundation library. An operating system, itself, can only have one. It is used by openssl which all web-browsers use to 'hand-shake' with web-sites.

Hopefully we'll get some responses that you can consider in putting together a OS for the 'Vista-age' computer with 1GB of RAM.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

From what I see in Vanilla Dpup, which has nearly identical 32 bit and 64 bit flavors, the difference in RAM consumption between a 32 bit distro and an equivalent 64 bit distro is not big enough to justify using the 32 bit flavor and dealing with its disadvantages, like not being able to run a modern browser and having random issues with modern applications (that get tested only on 64 bit architectures). If you can run a 64 bit distro, IMO the extra 20-30 MB of RAM consumption is worth it even if you have only 1 GB of RAM.

In the particular case of Vanilla Dpup, new features not found in old Puppy releases (like memory allocation settings tuned for lower RAM usage, zram swap, faster decompression of zstd compared to xz or built-in support for GPU-accelerated video decoding) might compensate for the general trend of higher RAM consumption and utilization of more CPU cores in newer software. It runs on an old netbook I have with 1 GB of RAM: the 64 bit variant feels faster than the 32 bit one and RAM consumption is lower compared to any other Puppy I tried.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

You can boot Puppy this way to use the lowest amount of RAM when running:
viewtopic.php?t=1854

YouTube videos can be controlled, by using the quality setting, in the video display settings.
Settings are by clicking on the settings icon in the lower right side of the display window.

Set it to a lower resolution that the graphics hardware of the computer can handle.

The speed of the internet connection can also affect playback of the video.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

You'll really want to try several Puppys to find which works best on the target computer.

Both the 64 and 32 bit VanillaDpups are worth trying. There are several VanillaDpup builds. My understanding of their differences is that, currently, the 9.3.x series are the builds least RAM demanding and furthest from the 'developmental' stage.

The thing is that 'old' computers not only came with less RAM, they also had less powerful CPUs. The less RAM available, the more work there is for the CPUs to do. So results of RAM usage on a powerful computer are at best suggestive of how responsive an operating system will be on a less resourceful computer.

See if you can pick up a 16 Gb, 32Gb or even larger USB-Key at a reasonable price from Best Buys or otherwise. Scandisk is a good quality; I don't recall what I didn't like about PNY. BestBuy is advertising a 64Gb for $10.49. We all hate to spend. But 'Time is Money'. Once you've 'burned' any Puppy to a USB-Key, you can use that Puppy to add others to the Key in just a couple of minutes. Until you 'flesh it out', each Puppy needs less than 2Gbs of space on its 'storage' medium. [And USB-Keys being writable, you both can delete and add].

One way to 'multi-boot' is explained by clarity here, viewtopic.php?p=38449#p38449. Once setup, all you have to do is copy an ISO into a folder. It will work with most, but not all, Puppies. There are others methods discussed in this Section, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewforum.php?f=155.

Because it works with all Puppys, I prefer the 'manual' method. Having used either Rufus under Windows or Frugalpup, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=2194 or grub2config, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=3360 from a Puppy, the USB-Key will have two things: a boot-partition containing a grub.cfg file that can be edited in any text-editor and 2nd partition containing a folder with the system files of one Puppy. Adding one or more Puppys only requires the following steps:
1. Download the desired Puppy ISO.
2. Create another folder on the 2nd partition (Right-Click>New Directory, give it a name). Leave that folder open.
3. Left-Click the new Puppy ISO (to mount/open it) and Drag>Copy its files into the named folder of Step 2.
4. Manually edit the above referred to grub.cfg file: Copy a Stanza, then edit it so that its Title reflects the new Puppy and substitute the new Puppy's folder's name where the original appeared; or --even easier
4a. Run grub2config and overwrite the old boot-loader's grub.cfg. grub2config will create a listing of every operating system it finds.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Check this thread, viewtopic.php?p=100547#p100547, from time-to-time. Replies already are providing not only good information about Puppys to consider but also how to reduce RAM demands when viewing youtubes.

Blivon

Post by Blivon »

Thank you for the links and the ideas. I will read the threads suggested and will look into trying the vanilla dpup that was mentioned.

Edit: or the 32 bit Voidpup mentioned in one of the links. Or the 64 bit version of Voidpup, as it was mentioned that 64 bit would be more compatible to the modern day web.

Blivon

Post by Blivon »

Update: today I tried a Voidpup live dvd on the laptop, but with the 64 bit version it immediately gave an error, stating that the system is 32 bit only. Using the 32 bit version did work and, after fidgeting with the wireless connection (forgetting to set ip-address and such), I could go online, download and install Firefox browser, and start Youtube.

Well, loading it did not go smoothly. The dvd-station kept rattling on and on, but Youtube would not load (or so slow that I didn’t want to wait any longer).

Next I will try a frugal install (have to read up on that, though). And if that doesn’t help, maybe a hard disk install.

Oh yes, something I forgot to put in the specification list a few messages earlier: the laptop is an HP Pavillion dv6000.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

In the past, I was able to watch YouTube videos on my Thinkpad X60 (CPU is probably close to what you have, mine has a Core Duo L2400) using h264ify. I don't know if this browser extension still works, but I used it to force YouTube to use h264 for all videos. Some old GPUs don't support newer codecs, so decoding happens on the CPU instead, reducing battery life, producing more heat and making the CPU busier. And if your GPU is too old to support hardware decoding through VA API, h264 is still less CPU intensive to decode.

Blivon

Post by Blivon »

dimkr wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:12 pm

In the past, I was able to watch YouTube videos on my Thinkpad X60 (CPU is probably close to what you have, mine has a Core Duo L2400) using h264ify. I don't know if this browser extension still works, but I used it to force YouTube to use h264 for all videos. Some old GPUs don't support newer codecs, so decoding happens on the CPU instead, reducing battery life, producing more heat and making the CPU busier. And if your GPU is too old to support hardware decoding through VA API, h264 is still less CPU intensive to decode.

This is the link to that extension for Firefox: https://github.com/erkserkserks/h264ify-firefox

Would this extension also help in the Vista Ultimate installation that exists on the same laptop I’m now trying to use Puppy linux on? In that environment it uses the Firefox ESR browser, but Youtube video’s are always stuttering like crazy and the site itself takes ages to load on the old Windows installation.

Return to “Beginners Help”