EasyOS not detecting SSD in HP14 laptop

Moderator: BarryK

Ramachandra Iyer

EasyOS not detecting SSD in HP14 laptop

Post by Ramachandra Iyer »

I have booted easyos latest version through flash drive in my new HP laptop. In order to install easyos in hard disk, I have opened the gpart in easyos. However, no harddisk was detected in easyos. My harddisk is 256 SDD (256GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD). In such a condition, how to make partition as suggested by Barry Sir (640MB) and working partition in my new solid internal hard disk.

Ram

BarryK

Re: Not detecting Hard Disk

Post by BarryK »

What model laptop?

Maybe it is a very new chipset, that the kernel is not properly working with.

You could do an internet search of that model laptop and linux compatibility issues.

Regarding nvme, that is not a problem, EasyOS and the kernel work fine with nvme drives. I have two of them in my Lenovo PC.

Ramachandra Iyer

HP 14. Processor: 11th Gen Intel Core i3-1115G4 (up to 4.1 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 6 MB L3 cache, 2 cores. Memory: 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (2 x 4 GB) | Storage: 256GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
Display: 14-inch FHD anti-glare micro-edge WLED-backlit, 250 nits, 45% NTSC (1920 x 1080)
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics
Operating System & Pre-installed Software: Pre-loaded Windows 10 Home with lifetime validity, Microsoft Office Home & Student 2019https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08XY3QXY5/ref ... UTF8&psc=1

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Have you tested with a recent Puppy Linux?
It would be useful to know if a pup recognises the drive.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Did you shutdown Windows 10 doing a normal shutdown?
Do not shutdown Windows 10 in hibernate!!
In hibernate, the internal drive is not fully released, and is setup to be controlled by Windows 10 only.

Also, it would be a good idea to go into the UEFI setup and disable fast boot.
This is not going to affect EasyOS boot speed.
Fast boot is only for Windows 10 booting.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Ramachandra Iyer

Thank you all for valuable suggestions. Now away from my laptop. I will test the same and get back to you soon further help if required.

Ramachandra Iyer

No option found on option on HP Laptop to disable fast boot. I have disabled fastboot in windows 10 power options. Still not detecting. As suggest by Barry Sir, I am going to boot up with puppy linux flash drive. I have to download fresh one and let you know the status.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Did you shutdown Windows 10 doing a normal shutdown?
Do not shutdown Windows 10 in hibernate!!

Forum Global Moderator

Ramachandra Iyer

Shutdown properly. No hibernation. Still not detecting.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Don't install EasyOS to your hard-drive until Barry K confirms that the following will not take place.

When you use dd to install EasyOS to a USB-Key initially it writes only a 639 Mb +/- vfat partition. That partition contains its boot-loader and the base EasyOS system. The first time you boot up that EasyOS, however, it formats the rest of the USB-Key creating a 2nd Linux Ext4 partition and, obviously, wiping out anything which might have been in that space.

I assume that won't happen if you merely copy the EasyOS files from a USB-Key to a hard-drive. But that's a guess. And, merely copying those files doesn't include a boot-loader which would enable you to boot into it. That's part of the problem I sought an answer to in these posts. viewtopic.php?p=21985#p21985 and viewtopic.php?p=22259#p22259

Always try operating systems from a USB-Key first. If you can't boot into it from a Key, It's unlikely you will be able to boot into it from the hard-drive. And, even if it boot up, you want to be sure that important system --like keyboards, your monitor and wifi-- are fully functional.

Find a Puppy which does work with your computer. Puppys are modular. With Puppys built in the last 5 or 6 years, you can always 'swap kernels'. A Puppy's kernel consists of two or three files(systems): vmlinuz, a zdrv.sfs and sometimes an fdrv.sfs. (Sometimes the fdrv.sfs containing firmware is required. Other times the zdrv.sfs includes both drivers and firmware. Adding unnecessary fdrv.sfs doesn't hurt: it just includes firmware you didn't need). To swap kernels you just have to swap the vmlinuz, and swap and rename the zdrv (and maybe fdrv) renaming it/them to that used by a particular Puppy: e.g., Fossapup64's main SFS is named puppy_fossapup64_9.5.sfs; its zdrv.sfs is named zdrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs.

But EasyOS is not as modular. I'm not sure where it's located drivers and firmware or if it would recognize (load on bootup) a zdrv or an fdrv or if loading either would break something.

Ramachandra Iyer

Sir, I have already installed EasyOs in my old laptop and also desktop. Now I wants to install EasyOs in new generation laptop. It seems that some hardware issues. I don't have any technical knowledge. Hope to solve the issue by trail and error method.

Last edited by Ramachandra Iyer on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

I read your previous posts. I repeat my caution to always test Operating Systems from a USB-Key first.
That you had no problem with EasyOS on your old laptop tells you nothing about what would happen on your new laptop.

Don't get me wrong. I've run EasyOS from a USB-Key and think it's a great operating system, very versatile. But until I know that I can safely locate it on a hard-drive and boot into it without endangering anything already on that hard-drive I won't.

As no one has taken an interest in solving the booting questions I posed in the posts I cited, I've worked on that problem. I think I may have a solution. But I have yet to test it. And before I even do that I'd like a confirmation that relocating EasyOs's files(systems) from a USB-Key to a folder on the hard-drive partition and booting it won't attempt take over that entire partition or any other.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I have booted easyos latest version through flash drive in my new HP laptop.

In first post they say it boots with EasyOS on a USB.
But the internal SSD is not being seen by Gparted.

Sorry, but have to ask, because you do not give version number.
This is EasyOS v2.6.2?

This was a fix for somebody using Ubuntu.

The issue was in the BIOS the SATA Mode setting was set to RST with Optane.
Once I set the SATA mode to AHCI (No Raid). Ubuntu was able to recognize the SSD.

Being a new laptop.
Look in the UEFI setup for this SATA mode setting.
Look for anything else, that may affect, how the internal drives, are accessed.
Could be anything, in the UEFI setup, that HP put in, for hardware access.

Forum Global Moderator

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Mike,
I have been using Easy frugal installs alongside puppies and dogs for a few years now. A frugal Easy has never clobbered a preexisting install. I booted all my installs with grub4dos. On a recently acquired desktop, I set up a new disc with refind, and it serves well for various EasyOs's on that disk. I experimented a bit to try to get refind to find partitions on a second disk, but it is a work in progress. It could well be possible that refind has the capability to boot an OS from a different disc. For now, I just use the boot selector in the machine bio.

For frugal Easy installs, there is a set up step involving an edit to your initrd to specify where the working partition for your Easy is located. see "fixing initrd"in this tutorial. I have not tried frugalpup on any of my discs, but an improperly configured initrd could throw you off if you were testing out new boot parameters for frugalpup.

Ramachandra Iyer

I was able to boot EasyOs from USB in my new HP laptop. However, Easyos is not detecting the internal hard disk(SDD). I left new laptop at my native place. It seems that EasyOs is latest one. It was downloaded on 31.03.2021. As suggested by bigpup, I hope laptop having option for change from SATA mode to AHCI (No Raid).

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, williwaw, for the confirmation and link to the info on Barry's Blog.
Having once locked my wife out of her 'beloved' windows by installing grub4dos to her hard-drive, it had been my practice to locate grub4dos on a USB-Key which would boot the frugal Puppies on the hard-drive (or anything else). Give USB-ports 'boot-priority'. Boot with the key plugged in and choose among the Puppys. Unplug the key and boot Windows.
But a couple months ago I replaced grub4dos-on-a-USB-Key with frugal-installer as it can be used with UEFI computers.
I think I mentioned that I couldn't make 'heads or tails' out of refind. But I was able to locate a post providing a hint about how to manually convert a syslinux.cfg into a grub.cfg. Basically, anything which syslinux.cfg has on an Append line has to be placed on the linux/kernel line, except that "initrd=initrd" which is dropped. It should be possible to add a menuentry to frugalpup's grub.cfg which will 'call' another grub.cfg.
My notes on that suggest:
"
#Sample1 Call 2nd Grub
menuentry 'NixOS' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'nixos-0aca58bc-8fdb-4a07-aa2f-56406bcf19b7' {
set root='hd0,msdos4'
configfile /nixos/root/boot/grub/grub.cfg
}
#The key is the configfile /nixos/root/boot/grub/grub.cfg line.
#It tells GRUB to load another grub.cfg.

=-=-=-=-=-=-
# Sample2 Call 2nd Grub
menuentry "GRUB chainloader" {
#Load grub on partition 7 of a gpt formatted drive.
#It will reference its own modules and config.
chainloader (hd0,gpt7)/path/to/bootloader/on/myOS/core.efi
}

But Sample2 requires an entire installation of grub2 which may be problematic. Hopefully, some variation of Sample1 will suffice.

Using grub4dos, do you still have such options as "EasyOS LOCK 1 Copy session to RAM & unmount partitions" ?

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

mikeslr wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:52 pm

Using grub4dos, do you still have such options as "EasyOS LOCK 1 Copy session to RAM & unmount partitions" ?

yes, Barry has recently added boot provisions to the shutdown menu
https://bkhome.org/news/202008/shutdown ... items.html

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

High jacking a topic is not a good idea.

Forum Global Moderator

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

bigpup, you're right, of course. Mea culpa. :oops:

Ramachandra Iyer, just to make certain that you know, this seems to be the instructions for turning-off hibernate, https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-enab ... indows-10/. However, I've seen a different method. So your computer may differ. Turning off hibernate is absolutely essential.

I looked for documentation on how to 'enter bios' on your computer. But HP's website wasn't co-operative. When Puppys first encountered UEFI there were posts on the old forum about the need to turn off secure-boot, Intel Smart Response Technology (ISRT), and IIRC one other thing. To do any of that you have to be able to 'enter Bios' rather than boot into any operating system. I suspect you've probably figured out how to do that as you can boot from a USB-Key which suggests that you may have 'entered bios' in order to give boot-priority to USB-Drives. Or did you just choose a "One-Time Boot Menu"? The instructions for doing either usually appear for a couple of seconds after you press the power button.

I wonder if your hard-drive was formatted gpt rather than ms-dos? And, although the link you provided indicates that your computer has Windows 10 Home, I have to wonder if it actually has Windows 10 Student -- a cheaper version because it's locked down.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

mikeslr wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:05 am

Don't install EasyOS to your hard-drive until Barry K confirms that the following will not take place.

When you use dd to install EasyOS to a USB-Key initially it writes only a 639 Mb +/- vfat partition. That partition contains its boot-loader and the base EasyOS system. The first time you boot up that EasyOS, however, it formats the rest of the USB-Key creating a 2nd Linux Ext4 partition and, obviously, wiping out anything which might have been in that space.

I assume that won't happen if you merely copy the EasyOS files from a USB-Key to a hard-drive. But that's a guess. And, merely copying those files doesn't include a boot-loader which would enable you to boot into it. That's part of the problem I sought an answer to in these posts. viewtopic.php?p=21985#p21985 and viewtopic.php?p=22259#p22259

No problem. The init script in the initrd is very careful to determine that booting first time from usb stick, then expands the working partion to fill the drive. It won't do this in a hard drive.

A bit more detail:
The image file that you write to the usb stick has two partitons, a 639MB fat32 boot partition, that has vmlinuz, initrd and easy.sfs in it, and an empty 640MB ext partition.
At first bootup, the init script sees that empty 640MB working partition, and grows it to fill the empty space.

There are enough checks in place that won't happen in a hard drive installation. For a start, you would not have the working partition only 640MB in size. The init script will see whatever you have set as the working partition, and use it as-is.

Even if by some miracle the init script did try to expand the working partition, in theory it would only do so if there is unallocated space immediately after the partition, and only use that, not affecting any other partitions.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Hi Barry K and williwaw,
Thanks for the info and confirmation. Now that you'all have mentioned it, I remember reading the post. Age must be getting to me. :( Used to be I only had to read something once and even if it didn't stick I'd remember 'there's something about that somewhere.' Ah well, there's something to be said about always discovering exciting new things 8-), even if they aren't. :roll:

Getting back to Ramachandra Iyer's problem. I think it's the 256GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD. freepg with a similar hard-drive had a similar problem, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2621 and chapchap70 reported that "In the Bios configurations (or whatever it is called these days), I had to set it to AHCI (No Raid)", viewtopic.php?p=22623#p22623. Similar problems were reported trying to use Ubuntu and Mint. https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-u ... ur-dell-pc, and https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic. ... 7#p1720475. Ubuntu recommends changing the setting to RAID, while Mint recommend the same as chapchap70, change it to AHCI.

But also see this post, https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic. ... 7#p1720457 which suggest that, as yet, the NVMe may not be formatted. What does gparted tell you about yours? Or Menu>System>Pup-SysInfo?

Better yet: Does anyone know the Linux commands for exploring Drives? I recall there being problems between gparted and Raid devices even before the post above indicating that gparted didn't see the drive.

Ramachandra Iyer

Gpart is not detecting the internal hard disk, showing only USB (easyos drive). I have checked the BIOS and shows non raid. No idea how to install Easyos.? I dont find any switch to AHCI in the BIOS. I am afraid to do apply suggestions posted in the previous post

bigpup

Re: EasyOS not detecting SSD in HP14 laptop

Post by bigpup »

I dont find any switch to AHCI in the BIOS

If you tell us the model number of the HP laptop, we can find the manual on HP support.
The manual will have info on settings in the UEFI setup (bios).

Forum Global Moderator

Ramachandra Iyer

Device name LAPTOP-D6IEQQPD
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-1115G4 @ 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.65 GB usable)
Device ID 325C9E28-7EE0-421E-B545-12D5D589A2CB
Product ID 00327-36263-33765-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I found the manual, but it is no good for UEFI setup settings.
All it tells you is how to access the UEFI setup.
So, no luck with that idea.

Found this info that says it helps to fix this problem.
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook- ... -p/7182674

Forum Global Moderator

Ramachandra Iyer

Sir

As you indicated in your post, the link not solved my issue. It is not the problem of Linux. As suggested by Barry Sir, I have booted Fosspup64, still SDD is not detected. So not a kernel issue. Is any simple solution?

Is it possible to partition SDD in windows itself and create partition (fat32 & ext3) through any good free partition software and boot again through usb. In that case, is it possible to detect the SDD and install the easyos?.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Ramachandra Iyer wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:44 pm

Is it possible to partition SDD in windows itself and create partition (fat32 & ext3) through any good free partition software and boot again through usb. In that case, is it possible to detect the SDD and install the easyos?.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... management

not sure if you could create a linux partition with this, but maybe a fat 32?, presuming the disk manegement tool will allow you to shrink the existing windows partition
If so, maybe gparted will see the added partition and allow you to modify it further.

does your motherboard have an empty slot for a second m2?

Ramachandra Iyer

I dont know whether MB having extra slot. Anyway I wont open the new laptop. More over, I am not a technical guy.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

This is one of my emails to Ramachandra:

Hmmm...

https://help.ubuntu.com/rst/

"Furthermore, you may already have Windows installed on the computer
that uses RST. If you disable RST in the BIOS or change the RST
configuration, Windows may become unbootable, as it may no longer be
able to find and use the hard disks."

I might have to compile the next kernel with rst enabled.

That's a worry. Yes, I will compile the kernel with RST enabled, see if that helps. Expect that for the next release, 2.7.3.

Ramachandra Iyer

EasyOs 2.7.3 detected SSD of my HP14 laptop. Great release :thumbup:

Return to “EasyOS”