How to create a containerized Puppy?

Moderator: BarryK

mikeslr

How to create a containerized Puppy?

Post by mikeslr »

Hi folks,

I was unaware of FeodorF's post, https://easyos.org/forum/showthread.php ... 681#pid681 when I explored running Wine under containerized Racy. viewtopic.php?p=21774#p21774. It works but (a) I hadn't thought of FeodorF's solution to having a recent web-browser (run a windows version of Seamonkey) and to run a Linux version requires the installation of a lot of new libraries in Racy. Besides that, (b) on reboot I had this desktop problem

racy intel Graphic problem.png
racy intel Graphic problem.png (352.63 KiB) Viewed 681 times

and wasn't aware that the solution was to change the Intel driver from 'sna' to 'uxa', so I deleted the container.
My thought was to create a newer containerized Puppy: one based either on bionic32 or my updated version of Slack 5.7, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... f1#1018293. "When in doubt, read the Manual." So I went looking for information about doing that and discovered the above.

I also discoverd that Barry K has provided reasonably clear instructions on how to create one, https://easyos.org/dev/how-to-run-a-lin ... ainer.html. Except that post doesn't indicate how you get EasyOS to use it. Rather, it concludes with a discussion about using SFSget to obtain the ones he's already built and uploaded to ibiblio.

It might be as easy as copying it into /mnt/wkg/sfs/puppy/SOMEWHERE. My (sometime flaky) recollection is that EasyOS 'is aware' of previously downloaded Puppy.SFSes which have been 'deleted'; and Green Checkmark at the bottom left of the GUI suggests some such possibility.

SFSget Package Installer.png
SFSget Package Installer.png (138.5 KiB) Viewed 681 times

But before I spend several hours painting the elephant white, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask:

If you build your own containerized Puppy, How to you get EasyOS to us it?

BarryK

Re: How? to Create Containerized Puppy

Post by BarryK »

that "SOMEWHERE" is puppy/debian/buster in the case of your picture above.

When you create the sfs, you would have specified the path, and it will be in the .specs file.

If you named your distro "bionic", you would use a path "puppy/ubuntu/bionic", and you would place bionic_<version>_<arch>.sfs, bionic_<version>_<arch>.specs and bionic.png at that path, that is /mnt/wkg/sfs/puppy/ubuntu/bionc

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

yes, I see the problem with that tutorial:

https://easyos.org/dev/how-to-run-a-lin ... ainer.html

It says about uploading to my online SFS repository at ibiblio.org, but some explanation is required where to copy the files for local testing.

Have made a note to do that.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

That scrambled wallpaper has been an ongoing problem. I will take another look at it.

The wallpaper is handled by ROX-Filer, and the rox inside the container is not completely isolated from the rox on the main desktop. It is a weird problem.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, Barry K, for the above info. I'll post about how it goes. But I have to put it on the back-burner just now.

The following is unquestionably premature; and I'm not the person to solve it when the time is right. But it is part of my nature to figure out how to mentally cross-bridges before they are reached; and EasyOS's potential has been on my mind. So before my mind wanders elsewhere:

My suspicion is that in the (near) future gyrog's Frugalpup(-installer) will replace grub4dos as Puppys' go-to boot-manager. While booting EasyOS from a USB-Stick is easy :), and from what I've read it doesn't appear to be very difficult to add Frugal Puppys to hard-drive partitions on which EasyOS was installed first, chances are that Users will have already structured their hard-drives, deployed Puppys to folders and setup a boot-loader before discovering EasyOS. In that situation a User may still want to run EasyOS from a hard-drive.
Frugalpup doesn't recognize EasyOS as 'a Puppy': so it can't just be updated to include it. But perhaps FrugalPup's grub2 grub.cfg could be manually edited. If so, what would the a menuentry for EasyOS look like?
Or would reFind or EasyOS's own boot-loader have to be called from Frugalpup's grub.cfg? Actually, just now recalling all the options provided by EasyOS's boot-menu, some way for Frugalpup's grub.cfg to 'call' it would probably better.

wiak

Re: How to create a containerized Puppy?

Post by wiak »

Personally I hardly ever boot from usb sticks. For a start my favourite computer only has usb2, which is fine enough but not as fine as using my internal harddrive... Main thing is that I just don't do it, so always have to find ways of booting any OS I'm interested in from harddrive. Yeah, I think grub2 based approach to booting will become the 'norm' even in Puppy community (as will pulseaudio use - that tends to 'just work' nowadays I feel - maybe I'm wrong...)

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

@mikeslr
That snapshot of corrupted wallpaper -- you are running EasyOS Buster series?

I am unable to get the corrupted wallpaper in the Dunfell series, after having moved up to the 5.10 kernel.
I think that this is because /proc filesystem got overhauled in the 5.8+ kernel.

I am unable to move the Buster series up to the 5.10 kernel, as it breaks python. So, the Buster series might be EOL.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Barry, when creating an sfs of a pup to run in a desktop container, do you unsquash all the sfs's and merge the files before running dir2sfs?

for instance, with vanillaDpup, I have tried to extract bdrv, fdrv. kbuild, puppy and zdrv sfs's. Then merge all five extracted directories with rsync -a, before running dir2sfs.

Attachments
capture17392.png
capture17392.png (55.46 KiB) Viewed 418 times

Return to “EasyOS”