Audacity not launching after install

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

k1e3w5

Audacity not launching after install

Post by k1e3w5 »

I installed Audacity from the Puppy package manager. It has put a launch icon in the Multimedia menu but Audacity does not appear when I click on it. Any ideas?

wiak

Re: Audacity not launching after install

Post by wiak »

k1e3w5 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:50 am

I installed Audacity from the Puppy package manager. It has put a launch icon in the Multimedia menu but Audacity does not appear when I click on it. Any ideas?

In such cases, I'd suggest:

open a terminal and enter command:

Code: Select all

audacity

see if that reveals missing dependency.

Can also try:

which audacity

to find path to the program and then see if missing dependencies from:

ldd path_to_audacity/audacity

Install the missing dependencies and thereafter program should usually launch.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

k1e3w5

Post by k1e3w5 »

wiak wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:29 am

In such cases, I'd suggest:

open a terminal and enter command:

audacity

see if that reveals missing dependency.

root# audacity
audacity: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk3u_html-3.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Can also try:

which audacity

root# which audacity
/usr/bin/audacity

to find path to the program and then see if missing dependencies from:

ldd path_to_audacity/audacity

root# /usr/bin/audacity
/usr/bin/audacity: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk3u_html-3.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Install the missing dependencies and thereafter program should usually launch.

wiak

Post by wiak »

So to help you install the missing bits see the last two posts of following thread here:

viewtopic.php?p=62658#p62658

I'm not using Audacity in Pups, but expect either of the two methods of installation of missing bits given in above linked two thread posts would do the job.
From above link, some parts appear to be in: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/u ... idgets3.0/

Alternatively:

Maybe following two package pages help (those for amd64 installation)?

https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-0v5
https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/wx-common

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@wiak :-

Looks like WX widgets is required, yes? I've always had problems with that in the past; half the time, the PPM reckons it can't find the things....

@k1e3w5 :-

You could perhaps try the AppImage-based Audacity-portable I built a while back. This is Audacity 3.1.2.....whether that's new enough for you or not I don't know, but if you're interested you can find the thread here:-

viewtopic.php?t=4773

Entirely up to you, of course.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

k1e3w5

Post by k1e3w5 »

mikewalsh wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:21 pm

You could perhaps try the AppImage-based Audacity-portable I built a while back. This is Audacity 3.1.2.....whether that's new enough for you or not I don't know, but if you're interested you can find the thread here:-

viewtopic.php?t=4773

Mike. ;)

Thank you - works great . :thumbup: yes 3.1.2 is fine. When it asks do I want to update, do I just decline that then?

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

When I installed Audacity from the PPM in Fossa some time last year I noticed that at some point in the process it pulled something in from elsewhere. All was well and it booted up without issue. However, more recently it no longer pulls that "extra bit" in, and consequently then shows missing dependencies.

Unfortunately I'm not enough of an expert, so don't what's changed, or why it's changed.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

k1e3w5 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:13 pm
mikewalsh wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:21 pm

viewtopic.php?t=4773

Mike. ;)

Thank you - works great . :thumbup: yes 3.1.2 is fine. When it asks do I want to update, do I just decline that then?

Um; I haven't used this for quite some time, myself, so I don't remember IF it tries to update, OR how it expects to do so. It's the kind of thing I might use once or perhaps twice a year.

My inclination - if, as you say, you're happy with that version! - would be to leave well alone. You'd probably end up breaking the portable, and then it wouldn't work at all. So; yes.....in this case - despite sounding like bad advice to many, who are conditioned to always expect the very newest version of everything - declining would be the preferred course of action.

Some AppImages WILL update "in-situ", but not many; it all seems to depend on whether their authors have built them to make use of the requisite .yml file.

(We often take the view here, when it comes to software, that "If it ain't broke, don't try and 'fix' it". Unless, of course, you absolutely MUST have the newest, bleeding-edge features all the time...)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Feek

Post by Feek »

Regarding Audacity, the AppImage format works well for me in the puppies/dogs I use.
Just download it from the official website and enable permissions.
So you should have the latest version available.

wiak

Post by wiak »

If you still want to install audacity (version 3.0.2) on old fossapup (you may need to get rid of your old attempt, including any libs that installed). Following on pristine Fossapup64 frugal installation:

1. Download the following deb from Fossapup64 browser, and click on it to install:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntuhandbook1/ ... _amd64.deb

2. Open up Puppy Package Manager, and make sure you have activated the following repositories:

main
universe

3. In PPM use configure to update these repo databases.

4. Now in turn, install the following packages using PPM:

a. libflac++6v5_1.3.3 (from repo main I think)
b. libportsmf0v5_0.1 (from repo universe)
c. libsndtouch1_2.1.2+ds1 (from repo universe)

As far as I recall that's all the libs that were missing. But if not just install from PPM any others indicated on trying to run audacity from commandline.

5. First time maybe best to start audacity from a terminal.

You will get an error window saying "an assertion failed" and a line including "mDirty==false".
Ignore that and just Continue. The PPA for audacity says that error message is to be expected, but audacity starts fine. Whether that install is any good, I have no idea - my dinner came so I never tried. EDIT: Yep, it worked (after setting capture levels in Mixer - I recorded from laptop internal Mic and recording played back fine...).

NOTE: That's apparently the 'correct' version for Ubuntu focal from PPA. Yes, there is a newer deb from same PPA (really for Jammy) that may well work - maybe that's the one in the 'portable' of Mike Walsh, but otherwise, if installing like this, I'd stick with 3.0.2 so as not to risk breaking anything else in Focal.

Attachments
audacity_3.0.2_FossaPup64.jpg
audacity_3.0.2_FossaPup64.jpg (100.07 KiB) Viewed 268 times

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Return to “Fossapup64”