Distros for retro gaming

Grey

Distros for retro gaming

Post by Grey »

Summer... The kids are on vacation... So my nephew and his friends persuaded me to give them a separate computer and TV for games.
"Well, you will join retro games," I said in a voice that does not tolerate objections :)

As a result, I went through several variants of distributions sharpened for retro games. I've known about some of them for a long time, but I've only discovered some of them now.

So, we will conditionally allocate three categories of devices. Computers, microcomputers and handheld consoles.

1. Batocera. Perhaps, now my favorite (despite the name meaning beetle :) ). There are options for almost any device (even for Atom processors). The PC version has Wine-Proton, PS3 emulator and all that stuff.
2. Lakka. Also works on almost everything. But there are no ES (EmulationStation) and third-party emulators, only RetroArch and its interface and engines.
3. RetroPie. The famous distro for Raspberries. You can put it on your computer on top of Ubuntu.
4. RetrOrangePi. For some devices on Allwinner processors. Mostly Orange Pi.
5. ArkOS. For devices based on the Rockchip RK 3326 processor. A specific system for pocket consoles. I need to buy something modern, perhaps :)
I really like ANBERNIC RG351V, because of the build quality and the square screen.
6. AmberELEC. Approximately the same as in the previous paragraph.

Almost everywhere there is Kodi.
There are a few more, but I either didn't like them, or they are slightly modified versions of those mentioned.

Why am I saying all this? Well, I wanted to make a distro based on Puppy with emulators. With a shell written in PureBasic or BlitzMax. But now I think the effort spent will be wasted. It is unlikely to be possible to reinvent the bike (that is, to make the joystick-controlled interface better than in ES).

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

sc0ttman

Re: Distros for retro gaming

Post by sc0ttman »

The EASIEST way to make a nice looking Puppy based emulation distro is the following:

- use RetroArch + EmulationStation

The best way to make a nice looking one with lowest system requirements:

- use a manual collection of emulators + EmulationStation

The best way to make a very barebones but usable emulation Puppy:

- rofi + command line RetroArch

NOTE:

Be careful which Puppy you choose a base - different Puppy devs compile different kernel features, which may affect graphics and joypad support.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hi @Grey

Well, I wanted to make a distro based on Puppy with emulators.

Have you ever run a PC hosting QEMU. QEMU-KVM emulates PC technologies and runs them at full-speed. You can emulate Intels, UEFIs, ARMs, PPCs, and other hardware technologies...at full speed. And you can run multiple technologies simultaneous with each other and the host PC.

The beauty of QEMU-KVM is you can be whatever kind of PC you want to be albeit different from the real PC or similar if you choose; running at speeds equal to or slightly greater than the host bare-metal PC.

Trying to be helpful. If you think will help, run with it.

Grey

Post by Grey »

Clarity wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:01 am

The beauty of QEMU-KVM

Hi. I remember your ardent love for Qemu :) If your goal is to try all distros in the world, then I do not approve and do not encourage it, but I can wish you good luck out of politeness ;)
Don't forget, KVM is virtualization, not emulation ;)
Also pay attention to the third line here.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Return to “Other Distros”