Chrome OS Flex is the successor to CloudReady OS

oldaolgeezer

Post by oldaolgeezer »

In late 2020, Google bought Neverware which made "CloudReady" OS.

CloudReady, when booted via a USB drive onto a PC, provided a Chromebook like experience.

Now Google is offering "Chrome OS Flex" which is to be a more perfect clone of
Chromebook OS.

Here are early writeups about "Chrome OS Flex":

https://www.engadget.com/google-chrome- ... 17123.html

https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/15/2293 ... se-schools

Here is the USB drive download page for "Chrome OS Flex" free upgrade for PCs and Macs:
https://chromeenterprise.google/os/chromeosflex/

While Google is now looking for testers, there seem to be hints that "Chrome OS Flex"
is orientated for businesses and education.

Thanks wizard, and others, for offering Cloudpup-Fossa64, Friendly-Fossa64, Friendly-Bionic32 and other Friendly Puppy versions.
Chrome OS Flex competition.

ozsouth

Re: Chrome OS Flex is the successor to CloudReady OS

Post by ozsouth »

@oldaolgeezer - looks very interesting. One of the commenters on the engadget site states the test release
cannot load android apps, & I see you have to sign up & agree to be contacted to try it.

tosim

Post by tosim »

@ozsouth Yes, you have to agree to be contacted. Plus, only 30 day trial; I decided against it.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

There is, of course, the more easily-accessible ChromiumOS, but in many ways it's like "vanilla" Chromium.....lots of stuff you take for granted on a 'proper' Chromebook simply doesn't function, because the support isn't there.

Although Arnold the Bat built these for several years, he's apparently quit doing so. And it was a very hit-and-miss affair; so many of his builds would show the initial splash-screen, along with 'Loading...', and then.....nothing. Only rarely would I find a build that actually booted to desktop.

To date, the only replacement I've found is the new thing Google are now offering, after subsuming Neverware into the belly of the beast.....Chrome OS Flex. To try it it's just a 30-day trial, as tosim says.....and I suspect you'll still end up having to pay for it in the long run. Coincidentally, the point at which Arnold quit building the thing is around the time that Google bought out Neverware.....

Your only other option now is to visit the Chromium Project, download all the relevant chunks of source code, along with all the special build-tools/environments they insist you use, and try building it yourself. Be warned; certain chunks of code have to be compiled one way, using specific build-tools, before other chunks are able to compile.....using a totally different build-environment & completely different build tools.

Talk about doing their best to discourage you right from the off...!! I gave up on it quite a while ago.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Other Distros”