thank you for this new forum
if there is any need for some bucks to keep it going
i would like to contribute

wanderer
mikewalsh

Re: Financial support for the forum

Post by mikewalsh »

@ wanderer/rockedge:-

Y'know, that's a darned good idea, actually.....and kudos to wanderer for not being afraid to come straight out and say it. Nobody can really expect rockedge to cover all the costs out of his own pocket, even if he were willing to do so.....and I'm quite certain some members wouldn't mind contributing if an easy (anonymous?) mechanism was put in place to do so. I, too, wouldn't be averse to making the occasional small contribution from time to time...

How about a "Donate" button? Perhaps linked to a PayPal a/c, for ease of transactions.....and maybe 'perks' for those who help in such a manner? (Obviously, the latter would be a matter for consideration by rockedge as to how this might be put into practice; I have no idea quite how this suggestion would work, though there's obviously mechanisms available for such things to happen.)

I'm not saying anything specific one way or the other as regards such a venture, except this; I know this kind of thing is implemented by a lot of developers/individuals/organisations/small groups, etc., in the open-source world. Too many people are all too willing to take advantage of "free" stuff online, without a thought for the fact that hosting, running costs, etc, all need to be covered in some fashion....and in the long run, it's to everybody's advantage to help keep our vibrant, friendly community on-line.

Just a suggestion, FWIW.

Mike. ;)
Last edited by mikewalsh on Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

cobaka

Post by cobaka »

Agreed! We need a 'donate' button.
Do (for i=1 to N)
  • What do we want? <print> A support button!
    When do we need it? <print> Now!
Next i
Public license is great - but it really does take work to make and maintain puppies.
Puppy is a very well-thought-out distro. It's easy to install, use and maintain.

Leslie.

собака --> это Русский --> an old dog
"so-baka" (not "co", as in coast or crib).

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

+1 for paypal option - rockedge shouldn't do this at his cost - even a few $ a year (like wikipedia's 'price of a coffee' annual fundraiser) from 100 regulars would probably help.
smokey01

Post by smokey01 »

:thumbup2:
Sky Aisling

Post by Sky Aisling »

Tell me where and how to make a donation.

Sky
Last edited by Sky Aisling on Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taersh

Post by taersh »

Sky Aisling wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:18 pm Tell me where and how to make a donation.

Sky
Don't worry. It's all just in theory. It's like being against racism by having a link in a signature, but without any risk. Or like to party against racism with hundred or thousands of twitter/Facebook/WhatsApp friends listening to the preferred music while dancing, but without any risk.

Just announcements and if it needs to come to action, running away and wetting the pants.

Haha... :lol: :thumbdown:

Edit: I'm looking forward to the 3rd topic that will be opened up, named: "Financial support for the forum", as there's already two topics. Which is in fact exactly two more topics than bucks sent! :lol:

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

tosim

Post by tosim »

Please count me in contributing. Thanks.
wiak

Post by wiak »

taersh wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:01 amDon't worry. It's all just in theory. It's like being against racism by having a link in a signature, but without any risk. Or like to party against racism with hundred or thousands of twitter/Facebook/WhatsApp friends listening to the preferred music while dancing, but without any risk.

Just announcements and if it needs to come to action, running away and wetting the pants.

Haha... :lol: :thumbdown:
I expect people who say they'd like to contribute actually mean it and would. Afterall, people who use distros and their forums do get a lot out of it. Same people have no problem going out each day and buying a cup of coffee, which is where I'm going right now... ;-)

wiak

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

taersh

Post by taersh »

I expect people who say they'd like to contribute actually mean it and would.
Yes, usually I would expect that too. But my life-experience tells me the revert. After having two topics named "Financial support for the forum", both created by wanderer and counting at least 23 posts in complete now, I would expect someone's proof me wrong, offering any evidence that there's already more bucks sent than posts done. Or at least more bucks sent than topics done. Or even more members than posts done, that had asked rockedge directly e.g. by PM for bank account to send some money. I say: you can't yet proof me wrong, though I would like to see it!

It's all just fighting racism by doing party while dancing, but without any risk. Target: make yourself feeling good! :lol:

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Done a wee bit of research into this, and it seems it's actually fairly easy to do:-

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/n ... ate-button

It is, of course, entirely Rockedge's decision as to whether to move forward on this one...

Mike ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

tosim

Post by tosim »

Rockedge-PLEASE set an account up, so we can assist! WE would really like to help out.

Return to “Users”