Location of Gnome-MPlayer Config?

a very small Live CD shaped to look and act like Puppy Linux.

Moderator: fredx181

dcung

Location of Gnome-MPlayer Config?

Post by dcung »

I incorporate few apps config files into my 'modified' mklive build to eliminate needing to reconfig the 'defaults' each time I use new builds.

I'd like to get a copy of 'my' Gnome-MPlayer config file so that I can do so. But I haven't found it yet.

In Bullseye there's 'existing' ~/.config/gnome-mplayer dir, in Bookworm there isn't.
In any case, it seems that is the location of config, for both bullseye or bookworm, as the dir will be created if it does not exist when you run Gnome-MPlayer first time.
( however, no ~/.config/gnome-mplayer/gnome-mplayer.conf gets created)

In Bullseye there's existing ~/.config/gnome-mplayer/gnome-mplayer.conf does not seem to be used.
Googling seems to point to the same location, though some articles said it changes already, but didn't elaborate where/how.

My changes in preference is retained somewhere, but not in ~/.config/gnome-mplayer/gnome-mplayer.conf, don't know where.
In bookworm no such file gets created. In fact, if you delete, the one in bullseye, it doesn't matter, and my changes is still retained somewhere.

Code: Select all

#my preference
single-instance=true
replace-and-play=true
show-playlist=true
bring-to-front=true

I did search here for related threads - maybe I missed it.
Not in
~/.config/gnome-mplayer
/etc/mplayer/

So, where is it? Anyone knows? Thanks.

fredx181

Re: Location of Gnome-MPlayer Config?

Post by fredx181 »

dcung wrote:

My changes in preference is retained somewhere, but not in ~/.config/gnome-mplayer/gnome-mplayer.conf

Changes in preferences are saved in ~/.config/dconf/user (not a text file that can be opened with text-editor, I think, well.. it's a bit odd ...).
The file ~/.config/gnome-mplayer/gnome-mplayer.conf belonged to other gnome-player version, the directory ~/.config/gnome-mplayer/ may be used though in some cases, e.g. for default playlist (default.pls) .
Btw, I've always found gnome-player a little buggy (but perhaps depends on the version), although for simple usage it's ok IMO.

dcung

Re: Location of Gnome-MPlayer Config? <SOLVED>

Post by dcung »

fredx181 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:34 am

Changes in preferences are saved in ~/.config/dconf/user (not a text file that can be opened with text-editor, I think, well.. it's a bit odd ...).
The file ~/.config/gnome-mplayer/gnome-mplayer.conf belonged to other gnome-player version, the directory ~/.config/gnome-mplayer/ may be used though in some cases, e.g. for default playlist (default.pls) .
Btw, I've always found gnome-player a little buggy (but perhaps depends on the version), although for simple usage it's ok IMO.

Ahh..I actually read some postings that mentioned dconf when I was searching for answer. I just didn't I think was on the right file when I saw the non-text config file.
But now that you mentioned it, I just confirmed by deleting ~/.config/dconf/user and 'default' one was recreated and my preference was gone.
At least now I know what file to copy across - during mklive build. Thanks ! :)

fredx181 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:34 am

It is indeed buggy. Eg. On some laptop/PC with no load, often I found I have to wait several seconds before the app disappeared when you close it. I have seen other oddities too.
Yes, I only use it for simple mp3 playing. Just thought I use what's already included instead of looking for new app.
Curious - What do you use/recommend @fredx181 ?

fredx181

Re: Location of Gnome-MPlayer Config? <SOLVED>

Post by fredx181 »

dcung wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:00 am

Curious - What do you use/recommend @fredx181 ?

For playing audio only, I often use Deadbeef : https://deadbeef.sourceforge.io/download.html
For video playing (or audio too) , mostly MPV (or VLC). edit: SMplayer is nice too.

dcung

Post by dcung »

This is off topic.
@fredx181 Let me know if you'd like me to create new thread for this question.

In mklive-bookworm, I have a case statement, just before

# Allow the user to makes changes in chroot just before creating filesystem.squashfs 

where I put my 'customization' - all works well to date.

Now, I am trying to include deadbeef in the build.
1. I think it's the 'wrong place' to put it. Since, chroot has been unmounted (?). (Edit - Yes, confirmed, it installed in host, not chroot env).
2. Can I do so? i.e. add external .deb install in the build? If so, where is the best place to put it.

The following doesn't work, I didn't see dpkg gets executed.

case "$DE_CONFIG" in

DDog)
# Other customization - all works well to date.
dpkg -i /mnt/sda3/Download/deadbeef-static_1.9.6-1_amd64.deb
;;

ObDog)
;;

Tint2)
;;

esac

dcung

Post by dcung »

I Just realised that deadbeef is in debian repo, so I can simply add it. :oops:

But - still interested to know in case for other .deb file that is not in repo..

Edit:
deadbeef is available in Bullseye debian repo.
Not available in Bookworm repo...(yet ?).
Sorry @fredx181 , I'm posting while experimenting...switching between bullseye & bookworm.
I'm giving myself a headache... :lol:

Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Package deadbeef is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'deadbeef' has no installation candidate
Sorry, there are one or more errors, see above.
Could be a typo in a package name.
Exiting . . .
Unmounting mount binds in chroot
root@fujitsu-i5:/mnt/sda4/bookworm-2024-05-12# 
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@dcung

In mklive-bookworm, I have a case statement, just before
Allow the user to makes changes in chroot just before creating filesystem.squashfs

That is only for to add/remove files manually in chroot folder, not for installing deb package.
(not running in chroot anymore at that point)

You can either install the deb package(s) from xterm or edit the script (as you may want it unattended)

1) from xterm: see:
viewtopic.php?p=119388#p119388

2) edit the mklive script:

• find "End of installing packages"
  • just above that: dpkg -i *.deb; rm -f *.deb (or specify exact .deb name)

dpkg -i *.deb; rm -f *.deb #works only if deb packages exist in chroot
## or: dpkg -i *.deb 2> /dev/null; rm -f *.deb 2> /dev/null #to suppress error message if not exist
############ End of installing packages ############

• while running (e.g at debootstrap process or just after, the chroot folder should have been created already), place .deb packages in chroot folder (directly at the root) (will be picked up then)

P.S. older deadbeef version is in my custom repo from Bullseye, not in Debian repo, I wouldn't recommend it, better install the latest v1.9.6 with above method (package name is "deadbeef-static" , btw) .

dcung

Post by dcung »

fredx181 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:15 am

2) edit the mklive script:

• find "End of installing packages"
  • just above that: dpkg -i *.deb; rm -f *.deb (or specify exact .deb name)

dpkg -i *.deb; rm -f *.deb #works only if deb packages exist in chroot
## or: dpkg -i *.deb 2> /dev/null; rm -f *.deb 2> /dev/null #to suppress error message if not exist
############ End of installing packages ############

• while running (e.g at debootstrap process or just after, the chroot folder should have been created already), place .deb packages in chroot folder (directly at the root) (will be picked up then)

I tested this, works.
I put a pause there so I can copy the file.
Now, the challenge is (for marathon builds) - how to copy the .deb file automatically in the script, from outside chroot into the chroot.. (?) :?:

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

dcung wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:21 am

Now, the challenge is (for marathon builds) - how to copy the .deb file automatically in the script, from outside chroot into the chroot.. (?) :?:

That can be done just after the debootstrap process (then you are not yet running in the chroot (container)), e.g. :

########## Set up debootstrap ##########
echo -e "\e[0;36mSetting up debootstrap in bookworm/chroot\033[0m"
echo -e "\e[0;36mThis may take a while...\033[0m"
mkdir -p bookworm/chroot && cd bookworm &&
debootstrap --arch=$ARCH --variant=minbase --include=apt-transport-https,ca-certificates,initscripts,adduser,libgtk3-nocsd0 bookworm chroot http://deb.debian.org/debian/
ret=$?
echo $ret
if [ $ret -ne 0 ]; then
echo -e "\e[0;31mFailed to install the base system\033[0m"
echo -e "\e[0;32mThis can happen sometimes, please try again, exiting now...\033[0m"
exit
fi

# copy deb package(s) from outside chroot to chroot/
cp -a /mnt/sda3/Download/*.deb chroot/
### edit: or if you have the .deb(s) in bookworm: cp -a *.deb chroot/ edit-again: no, probably will be deleted at start of build every time

# create build_info.txt and build_setup.conf
dcung

Post by dcung »

fredx181 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:43 am

That can be done just after the debootstrap process (then you are not yet running in the chroot (container)), e.g. :

Thanks for the hand-holding @fredx181 - no way I can get to this stage in this time frame w/o your assistance.

I only want to install it on full-DE in marathon builds.
I was gonna use IF DDog <or> ObDog <or> Tint2 THEN, but I'm not sure of the correct syntax.
So, I put a case statement - looks ugly, but, works though.

case "$DE_CONFIG" in

DDog)
;;

ObDog)
;;

Tint2)
;;

esac

Doing case statement for
dpkg -i *.deb; rm -f *.deb # works only if deb packages exist in chroot
doesn't work.

I supposed, since already in chroot env, the "$DE_CONFIG" variable becomes undefined.
Never mind...I can live with the harmless cosmetic error or suppress it with your suggestion.
I guess you gave the suppression way, since you already knew, I would try this 'dumb' idea didn't you? :lol:

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

dcung wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:36 pm

I guess you gave the suppression way, since you already knew, I would try this 'dumb' idea didn't you? :lol:

I'd not even dare to think that something you'd try could be a dumb idea ! ;) And thanks again for all the feedback !

Return to “DebianDogs”