How do I install apt?

Moderators: kirk, jamesbond, p310don, JakeSFR, step, Forum moderators

ojwaffles

How do I install apt?

Post by ojwaffles »

Hello, I'm doing a project for school about FatDog64. I'm having some difficulties with installing things such as a new GUI, installing LAMP services, and using the apt command. (example would be sudo apt upgrade) I'm led to believe that using apt would be the best way to solve the issues with installing GUI and LAMP services. Which command sequence would any of you use to download apt?

Thank you for any help :)

user1234

Re: Installing apt

Post by user1234 »

I am not sure about FatDog, but for the Puppy itself you have bdrv-*.sfs for the same. You can download the same (where * should be the puppy version you are using) for your puppy version and then load it. Voila, you installed apt!

Note that I am not sure if FatDog has its bdrv or the version that you use has a bdrv or not. This can be clarified by some more experienced person than me. Meanwhile, you can try searching for a brdv for the FatDog version you use.

PuppyLinux 🐾 gives new life to old computers ✨

Flash

Re: Installing apt

Post by Flash »

Most Puppys don't use sudo because they run as root. Just enter the commands without sudo.

Chaos coordinator :?
bigpup

Re: How do I install apt?

Post by bigpup »

To use apt to install software it has to be in the Operating system as a program to use.

Looking at the info provided here:https://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/#packages apt is not in FatDog.
Also this:https://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/f ... kages.html

Apt:
The Advanced Package Tool, the Debian package management system. A freely available packaging system for software distribution and installation

To get apt installed and working correctly is something the developers of FatDog really need to do.

I am not running FatDog right now.

To see if it does or does not have apt in it.

In a terminal enter apt.

If it comes up with a bunch of information about apt , then it does have it.

what you are looking to install may have to be compiled for FatDog.

I do not use FatDog enough to give you more advice.

Maybe one of the FatDog developers will see this and give you some help.

:welcome: To Linux Software :roll:

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

What are the specific programs you want to install?

Give specific full names!!!

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

dr__Dan

Post by dr__Dan »

@ojwaffles Hello and welcome. The developers of Fatdog64 and the other well-informed local crowd haven't gotten to this yet, so I'll help as I can.

I don't craft webpages, so I'm not so familiar with the LAMP usage, but I looked for the packages and they are in the repository. You'll want to use the Gslapt package manager, Menu>Setup>Gslapt. Be sure to update it with the Update button, then enter your search term.

While you are waiting, be sure to read the help files (the blue question mark icon on the desktop). Fatdog64 is not a derivative of another distribution, but uses Linux From Scratch, and uses the Slackware package management tools.

As far as the GUI, what are you looking for? xfce is available as an SFS package, but Fatdog64 is a fairly minimal system overall, and doesn't bother with various bulky environments and such. There are various ways to adjust the look and feel of the existing GUI.

As the other posters said, in Fatdog64 you run as root, and don't need to use sudo to ask for permission to do things. And since it is not in the Debian family, it does not use apt. Also, unlike the Puppy family, bdrv is not a thing.

Your project will be uncommon, and you may learn more than you guessed working with Fatdog64.

Dan

8 years on with Fatdog64. :D

Return to “FatDog”