Suggestions for Monitor for Desktop Computer?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

Suggestions for Monitor for Desktop Computer?

Post by mikeslr »

Anyone know anything about Monitors for Desktop comupters? Currently, I have a 20" Acer H203H which (I think per Pupsys-Info) uses:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller
• Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
• VendorID=8086 DeviceID=0152 Rev=09
• DeviceName= Onboard IGD
• Kernel driver in use: i915
• Kernel modules: i915

and connects to the Dell OptiPlex 9010 via VGA.

It works fine with all Puppys. But I'm thinking of getting a 24+" Monitor. However, a couple years ago I had a larger monitor (also VGA) and if I recall correctly it's required a driver in order for the display to not exceed the screens dimenions. And a quick search of current monitors seemed that some now connected via an HDMI port and include speakers. IIRC, HDMI speakers involves another 'kettle of fish'.

I'm looking for something 'plug and play' with a minimum of hassles. And one whose price won't break the bank.

Also keep in mind that my first sentence included (I think). So assume I actually know nothing.

amethyst

Re: Suggestions for Monitor for Desktop Computer?

Post by amethyst »

hdmi port, I suppose you are talking about. New monitors will probably connect via hdmi ports instead of VGA. Does your computer have an hdmi port? If so, no problem. If your computer does not have an hdmi port (and your new monitor does not have a vga port), you'll probably need a vga to hdmi converter for the new monitor to work. Note - I use old equipment but I think I am correct with this assessment...

wizard

Post by wizard »

Mike,
Your 9010 has both VGA and "Display Port" onboard video output. The Display Port is the better of the two and is similar to HDMI. Modern monitors will have HDMI input and you can get a Display Port to HDMI adapter for about $10 U.S. that works well. You might also be able to find a monitor with DP input. As for the monitor, look for one that has a IPS panel which is faster and better for graphics. The 9010 can support up to 3 displays, my daughter is running two 24" on her 7010 SFF (9010's little brother) with no special drivers.

EDIT: If in fact you are running a Xeon E3-1200 v2 CPU, that does not have a onboard GPU so you would be using a PCIe graphics card. Depending on the card, it could have VGA, HDMI, DVI , DP or some combination of those outputs available. You'll have to check it and then match it with the monitor you choose.

wiz

Big pile of OLD computers

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Really any modern computer monitor will work OK and give good results.

The Dell OptiPlex 9010 is suppose to have VGA and display port connections.

I suggest you make sure the monitor has a display port so you can connect that way.

Main difference between VGA and display port.

VGA is analog signals.

Display port is digital signals.
A more consistent signal
Better/larger screen resolution and faster refresh rates
Longer cable lengths
Better cable shielding means less signal interference
The addition of audio and Internet signals to the video signal
Multiple displays

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

bigpup wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:26 am

Really any modern computer monitor will work OK and give good results.

The Dell OptiPlex 9010 is suppose to have VGA and display port connections.

I suggest you make sure the monitor has a display port so you can connect that way.

Main difference between VGA and display port.

VGA is analog signals.

Display port is digital signals.
A more consistent signal
Better/larger screen resolution and faster refresh rates
Longer cable lengths
Better cable shielding means less signal interference
The addition of audio and Internet signals to the video signal
Multiple displays

What is this display port you guys are talking about? You get different display ports like vga and hdmi.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

BTW - VGA can go up to 2560 x 2048 resolution. Relatively high for "old" technology.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@mikeslr

Just throwing in some considerations ..........

Find out what the maximum resolution is available to your cpu Xeon-E3 1200v2 from the Intel website ( https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... Processors ) .

For example

Then look for a 24" IPS (better colour reproduction for day to day use) monitor.

The latest HDMI format is v2.1 (higher resolutions eg 4k) and is backwards compatible.

I use a HDMI monitor with inbuilt speakers. It's not the greatest sound available. So I use a Bluetooth speaker or can use the onboard 3.5mm connectors for wired speakers.

You will need a Display Port to HDMI adapter.

Not sure if older Display Port's will pass through audio ......... something to consider.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

If your PC has a HDMI port, use a TV.

For past several years, I have been using TV. My current one was a cheap $150(ca) 55" 4K TV that resolves to 1920x1080 on WoofCE PUPs. There is so much real estate that instead of using multiple virtual desktop, I have many most app running on a single screen.

Its a 60Hz monitor, but I have no flicker and video quality is superior to my old VGA monitors.

Lastly, I no longer use speakers wired to the PC.

Again, for me, the real-estate factor alone is absolutely great. I dont wear glasses anymore when using the desktop PC. Not to mention I can switch back and forth to TV broadcasts, when desired.

I am seeing Black Friday sales for even cheaper TVs of that size. And for current Black Friday sale, I saw a deal for a 60" 4K TV for the same $150(ca) I paid last year.

Hope this helps

P.S. Your HDMI or DP port carries both video and sound over the same connection from the PC to the TV. Thus, I dont have a need to run wired speakers any longer. Less wireing behind the PC where, today the ONLY wires to the PC is the power cord and the wire to the TV.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

What is this display port you guys are talking about? You get different display ports like vga and hdmi.

Display port is a specific type of graphics connection port.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

I to agree that modern flat screen TV's make good computer monitors.
But do make sure it is a 4K one.
Look for any info it may provide on using it as a PC monitor.

Forum Global Moderator

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Here is a good read on using a TV for a monitor.
https://www.pcgamer.com/can-i-use-a-4k- ... r-monitor/

This is the time of year you should see a lot of good deals on TV's!

Forum Global Moderator

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Clarity wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:33 am

If your PC has a HDMI port, use a TV.

For past several years, I have been using TV. My current one was a cheap $150(ca) 55" 4K TV that resolves to 1920x1080 on WoofCE PUPs. There is so much real estate that instead of using multiple virtual desktop, I have many most app running on a single screen.

Its a 60Hz monitor, but I have no flicker and video quality is superior to my old VGA monitors.

Lastly, I no longer use speakers wired to the PC.

Again, for me, the real-estate factor alone is absolutely great. I dont wear glasses anymore when using the desktop PC. Not to mention I can switch back and forth to TV broadcasts, when desired.

I am seeing Black Friday sales for even cheaper TVs of that size. And for current Black Friday sale, I saw a deal for a 60" 4K TV for the same $150(ca) I paid last year.

Hope this helps

P.S. Your HDMI or DP port carries both video and sound over the same connection from the PC to the TV. Thus, I dont have a need to run wired speakers any longer. Less wireing behind the PC where, today the ONLY wires to the PC is the power cord and the wire to the TV.

I'm interested to know where you purchased a 55" 4K TV for $150, the cheapest I've seen in Ontario is at least double this price.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

Return to “Users”