GuvcView in 'portable' format - 64-bit v2.0.3 and 32-bit v1.5.3

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

GuvcView in 'portable' format - 64-bit v2.0.3 and 32-bit v1.5.3

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, gang.

This is something I've been meaning to do for some time. I successfully turned 32-bit packages I built for some of the 5-series Puppies into functional AppImages a few years back.....but I never DID get around to doing the same for a 64-bit package.

So now I've rectified that. This is an older build, it's true - v2.0.3. Tested and functional under Tahrpup64, Xenialpup64 and Bionicpup64.......and packed as a ROX-App for ease of use. Just unpack the tarball, put it anywhere you like, and click to fire it up.

Rt-clk -> "Look Inside" will give you the usual Menu Add/Remove scripts (if required). For anyone interested, y'all can find it here:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/f8qaly5w60gvz/64-bit

Hope it proves useful. Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

ravensrest

Re: GuvcView in 'portable' format - 64-bit v2.0.3 and 32-bit v1.5.3

Post by ravensrest »

Mike, thanks again for all the work you've done on the portable apps. This one works beatifully under Fossapup64.
BS

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@ravensrest :-

Ah. Okay; thanks for confirming it works under Fossapup64. You've "pipped me to the post", as it were; I was going to try it out in just a few minutes time - literally! - but it looks like I now don't need to.

It's the same principle as always. I feel it's a format that suits Puppy down to the ground.....and for those who don't want to create a 'save' - or want to keep it really small - it's a way of having a 'fully-loaded' OS without actually installing anything permanent at all. With the ability to run the portables from literally anywhere, you can run 'em from a flash drive, an external HDD or SSD.....even an SD card, I daresay (though that's one thing I've never tried).

For my final - and 13th year - of running Windows XP, this was how I set it up. (Annual re-installs were just a fact of life with Windows, especially the older versions). For this one, I forswore the pleasures of installing everything the usual way, and decided to experiment; I'd recently discovered the Windows PortableApps system, and it seemed like a really neat idea. :)

I stocked the entire thing - from the ground up - with nothing BUT 'portable' apps.....and you know what? It ran beautifully for the rest of its lifespan; nary a hiccup or glitch in sight. And ever since moving to Linux - and our Pup in particular, once I'd settled down with her - I've tried to recapture that same setup.

I think I've at long last succeeded..! :thumbup:

Mike. :D

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, all.

I've decided to put together a 32-bit portable of GuvcView. After all; why should only newer Pups get all the goodies? :D

This is based around an AppImage. I originally built a .pet package of v1.5.3 to run under Micko's immortal Slacko 570. Later on, I had a go at using Fred's scripts to turn it into an AppImage.....which was 100% successful. This 32-bit 'portable' build is using that AppImage.

Works every bit as well as the 64-bit build, and tested with both Tahrpup 6.0.6 and Xenialpup 7.5. I'll be testing it under my "old faithful", Slacko 560 in a bit, though I foresee no issues there; 560 and 570 both used pretty much the same Slackware 14.0 infrastructure.

Anyone that's interested can find it here:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/0625r0i6c4jz0/32-bit

Unzip it; stick it anywhere you like. Rt-clk -> Look inside will give access to the usual Menu Add/Remove scripts.

Enjoy!

EDIT:- Runs fine in Slacko 560, so should behave itself under 570 & derivatives, too.

Mike. ;)

Return to “Multimedia”