Fossapup64-23 - an update of original

Moderator: Forum moderators

ozsouth

Fossapup64-23 - an update of original

Post by ozsouth »

Fossapup64-23 v3 (441mb) - has a small bugfix (Firefox-esr path), updated to Firefox-esr to 115.8.0.
I made this pup as zoom & anydesk (& probably some other software) wouldn't run in fossa-mid/less.
Has security updates, kernel 6.1.65, a few small tweaks & (updateable) Firefox esr as ydrv (smaller Palemoon removed from adrv). iso made with pCompress - makes bootable CD. Use at own risk. Thanks to (especially) PhilB for original.

v3 corrected iso (6 mar 24) here: https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... 5-23v3.iso

Extras (in puppy .sfs):

updated busybox, wget, openssl, curl.
makesusplid - ensures laptop suspends upon lid close & resumes on open (runs on startup via /etc/init.d)
setblt - brightness setter - can set in terminal - default is setblt 5 (50% - runs on startup via /etc/init.d)
setspot - sets spot folder & all under it to owner spot - user actioned
updatesfsf - to add/remove sfs contents, place sfs in blank folder, cd into it & run - user actioned
poorerbatlevel - sets battery level on taskbar (max. display 99)
poorercputemp - sets cpu temp on taskbar (max. display 99)
BlankCD-DVD - user actioned
Burniso2CD-DVD - user actioned

Some .pets (basic tests ok; use at own risk; install by clicking on downloaded .pet in ROX-Filer):

Anydesk 6.1.1 - Entry in Network menu. Needs correct locale & timezone set.
May have to start, quit then restart & wait when first run.
https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... -611-u.pet

Flashprojector & 6 games - Entry in Fun menu; games in /opt/flash
https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... hgms-u.pet

Masterpdf4 editor - Entry in Document menu.
https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... pdf4-u.pet

Libreoffice 6.4 - Eventually puts entry in Document menu. Default saves to /root/Documents , in ms2007- format.
Is set to US - to change this, when open, go to: tools/options/language settings/languages - edit locale & western settings
https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... 72us-u.pet

Zoom - Can avoid installing zoom & use website access: https://app.zoom.us/wc/

wl wireless driver for kernel 6.1.65 is in the forum Drivers section.

RE - Firmware:

Firmware was reduced by 6 mb - to see if any missing, in a terminal run: dmesg | grep irmware
Many firmware files can be found at: https://github.com/isavl/linux-firmware
These go in /lib/firmware (sometimes in subfolders of that).

RE- Web Browsers:

FirefoxESR (ydrv) is designed to run as spot. To run as root, edit /usr/local/bin/firefox64esr , & remove 'run-as-spot'. Updater (in Internet menu) is for 'run-as-spot' only - updates should be offered automatically if running as root.
Updater method (for run-as-spot ONLY): To update Firefox, close it, & click Update Firefox (in Internet Menu). This temporarily runs Firefox as root - necessary to allow update. Then click Menu (3 bars on top right) then click Help, then click About Firefox. Will update if possible & then restart needed. Then close Firefox, then open it from icon - updated version runs, as user spot.

Last edited by ozsouth on Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:15 pm, edited 49 times in total.
Jasper

Re: Fossapup23 - an update of original

Post by Jasper »

Thanks for the update/new release :thumbup:

Marv

Post by Marv »

A smooth and easy update from my savefile-less ydrv and portable driven install of fossapup64-9.5-less-1 on the usual 2nd gen i5 Fujitsu S761 laptops. I hadn't switched to fossapup64-9.5-mid since my LXDE/PCManFM ydrv already had all the applications I wanted that were added in mid so the ydrv was a perfect fit. As I posted elsewhere, this is the perfect toaster, perfect toast every time so I don't mess much with it.

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

Darsh

Post by Darsh »

Marv wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:57 pm

A smooth and easy update from my savefile-less ydrv and portable driven install of fossapup64-9.5-less-1 on the usual 2nd gen i5 Fujitsu S761 laptops. I hadn't switched to fossapup64-9.5-mid since my LXDE/PCManFM ydrv already had all the applications I wanted that were added in mid so the ydrv was a perfect fit. As I posted elsewhere, this is the perfect toaster, perfect toast every time so I don't mess much with it.

It's great to hear about your smooth update experience with fossapup64-9.5-less-1 on your Fujitsu S761 laptop. The decision to stick with the LXDE/PCManFM ydrv for the applications you need showcases the customization and efficiency of your setup. Having a "perfect toaster" that consistently meets your needs is a testament to a well-tailored and reliable system that minimizes the need for constant adjustments.

esos

Post by esos »

Thanks, ISobooting using Grub2 works fine for me.
Unfortunately no sound/no pulse audio.

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@esos - did you run the Alsa sound wizard from Setup menu & run test? I needed to choose analogue, as my sound defaults to hdmi. For pulseaudio, F96CE or Bookworm would be better.

ozsouth

Fossapup23 - v2 released

Post by ozsouth »

v2 released - see 1st post.

Marv

Re: Fossapup23 - an update of original - now v2

Post by Marv »

Updated my V1 install to V2 (savefile-less LXDE'd) on the 2nd gen i5 all intel Fujitsu S761 laptop. No hitches, no glitches noted. Run both with the stock 6.1.65 kernel and with an AUFS patched 6.6.8 kernel. Clean dmesg and boot on both with normal lidsuspend and all portables running well on either. Idle resource excellent on both.

I'm glad to see you continuing to support Fossapup23. I run it alongside -Less and slightly prefer it. Hard to say exactly why, both are perfect on this hardware circa 2012 with the fairly complete set of shared portables on board. Tax time so gnumeric and PDF mongering predominate right now. Printing continues to be fine, but the older Brother laser is an easy pitch. It emulates PCL4/5 perfectly so no extra drivers are required. All 6 of my laptops also have kernel supported Atheros wifi cards now so that's easy too. Not much multimedia but sound continues to work well online for youtube how-tos etc. in all my chromium deriv. portable browsers so I'm fine there. All good so far here.

Thanks again,

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

ozsouth

Fossapup23 - v2a small bugfix

Post by ozsouth »

v2a released. small bugfix removing newbie boobytrap. .pet, small delta & full iso available - see 1st post for options.

Jasper

Re: Fossapup23 - an update of original - now v2a

Post by Jasper »

Thanks for the update ..... used the delta and these are the hashes :thumbup:

Attachments
updated-iso-hash.png
updated-iso-hash.png (24.01 KiB) Viewed 725 times
Marv

Re: Fossapup23 - an update of original - now v2a

Post by Marv »

Thanks, Updated with the delta here also, hashes match @Jaspers.

ozsouth

Fossapup23 - v2b (bugfix)

Post by ozsouth »

Updated to v2b - sorry, I had forgotten to update browser certificates (I had previously done that in Less & Mid). See 1st post.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Hash sums for the newly generated ISO using the Delta file

ozsouth

Fossapup64-23 - v3 released

Post by ozsouth »

V3 released - updated Firefox-esr to 115.8.0 & fixed Firefox-esr path. Iso - see 1st post

Last edited by ozsouth on Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clarity

Re: Fossapup64-23 - an update of original

Post by Clarity »

Test in VMs are successful including session savings.

Code: Select all

qemu-system-x86_64 -name "FP64-9.5 v3 by OZsouth" -enable-kvm -smp 2 -m 2048 -vga cirrus -device AC97 -net nic -rtc base=localtime -boot d -cdrom /root/Downloads/fossapup64-9.5-23v3.iso
QEMU FP64 booting 4.jpg
QEMU FP64 booting 4.jpg (46.69 KiB) Viewed 311 times
QEMU FP64 booting 6.jpg
QEMU FP64 booting 6.jpg (33.36 KiB) Viewed 311 times
QEMU FP64 booting 7.jpg
QEMU FP64 booting 7.jpg (48.79 KiB) Viewed 311 times

Forum

------ Bare-Metal ------

------- QEMU (VM) -------

PXE

Distro

Ventoy

SG2D

Native

Ventoy

SG2D

PXE

fossapup64-9.5-23v3.iso

N(6)

N(6)

Y

Y

Y

N(6)

Caveats

• For Ventoy boot, the boot stanza MUST have a PSAVE= parm to direct persistence

• For SG2D boots, no such is needed as the SAVESPEC file, if exist, automatically directs persistence

Legend for 'N' (No) in table

• (1) - Drops out to GRUB prompt

• (2) - Stops at Console w/o Desktop

• (3) - TRAP/Abend during boot

• (4) - IMG Not Supported by Launcher

• (5) - Requires session-save parm, manually added, to GRUB2 Menu stanza for boot

• (6) - Not tested

Return to “Re-masters”