"Manage Servers and Services" replaced with "Manage Broken Interfaces" in Control Panel

Moderators: kirk, jamesbond, p310don, JakeSFR, step, Forum moderators

chiefengineer

"Manage Servers and Services" replaced with "Manage Broken Interfaces" in Control Panel

Post by chiefengineer »

is now in Control Panel INSTEAD of "Manage Servers and Services". It does not click. It also appears in the desktop right click to Control Menu=> #8 System (as the same unclickable choice). I searched these forums for these terms and they don't come up and didn't Google.
To my knowledge nothing is broken. I'm running Fatdog 900 Linux 6.1.46 (x86_64) . I ran fatdog-service-manager.sh from a prompt and it came up and looks normal so what is this? It is not on any of my other 900 machines. A virus? Some new "normal" for just this one machine?

step

Re: "Manage Broken Interfaces"

Post by step »

"Manage broken interfaces" isn't a Fatdog64 thing, as far as I know. Possibly you installed some software package or SFS that interferes with Control Panel configuration files. Interference could happen in several places/files:
- /etc/control-panel-applets
- /etc/control-panel-applets.dir
- /root/.fatdog/control-panel-applets
- /root/.fatdog/control-panel-applets.dir
- any of the (dot) .desktop files involved in displaying the control panel structure.

Wild shot: you wrote that "Manage broken interfaces" [replaced] "Manage Servers and Services". To be correct, file /usr/share/applications/fatdog-service-manager.desktop should read

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Manage Servers and Services
Icon=system
Comment=Start/stop/enable/disable servers and services
Exec=fatdog-service-manager.sh
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=X-SystemSchedule
GenericName=Service Manager
NoDisplay=true

Also, what happens if you run rox /usr/share/applications/fatdog-service-manager.desktop in a terminal window?

chiefengineer

Re: "Manage Servers and Services" replaced with "Manage Broken Interfaces" in Control Panel

Post by chiefengineer »

Thank-you for this. "rox /usr/share/applications/fatdog-service-manager.desktop" opens the manager albeit with a long pause, and the file itself is identical. I am comparing each file with another machine running the same now.
I accidentally booted into a savefile on public open wifi then caught myself...then this appeared...

interfaces.jpg
interfaces.jpg (64.1 KiB) Viewed 286 times
step

Re: "Manage Servers and Services" replaced with "Manage Broken Interfaces" in Control Panel

Post by step »

Thank you for confirming you now know what happened.

chiefengineer wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:39 pm

"rox /usr/share/applications/fatdog-service-manager.desktop" opens the manager albeit with a long pause[...]

I suspect the long pause isn't just your problem but a more general inconvenience, of which I don't know the cause. I have seen it happening also on other PCs, but not mine :)

Return to “FatDog”