Bionicpup64 8.0 CE

Moderator: Forum moderators

Lekium

Re: Bionicpup64 8.0 CE

Post by Lekium »

Solved, thank you all.

Please consider adding PrusaSlicer to QuickPet in the future.

https://github.com/prusa3d/PrusaSlicer/releases
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

So what did you do to solve it?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

taersh

Post by taersh »

Hi.

Bionic seems to have a cut-down version of libasound2 package installed. After installing the full package from PPM still it is missing a library: libasound_module_rate_lavr.so. There's five symbolic links to libasound_module_rate_lavr.so. But the lib isn't included.

libasound_module_rate_lavcrate_faster.so
libasound_module_rate_lavcrate_fast.so
libasound_module_rate_lavcrate_higher.so
libasound_module_rate_lavcrate_high.so
libasound_module_rate_lavcrate.so

All of them pointing to libasound_module_rate_lavr.so

Where to find/download this one?

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

taersh

Post by taersh »

Ok.

I found it. It's included in the 1.1.1-1 package from Debian.
The 1.1.1-1 package from Ubuntu is missing it.

My Music:

666philb

Post by 666philb »

hi @taersh that lib is in my bionicpup64.

also it's worth noting that bionicpups alsa is compiled to let bluealsa work and isn't the one from the PPM

taersh

Post by taersh »

@666philb

That's strange. :?

I tried to apply functions to get ALSA only programs being able to use JACK audio - especially to run Gnome WaveCleaner under JACK. I have JACK audio running constantly. It didn't work until I installed the libasound package from PPM. The lib from Debian doesn't make any difference, just searched for it to have the package completely installed.

I have my own built of Bionic64, so I thought something might go wrong when building from Woof-CE. Checked the base sfs contents and, yes, it's there. I had installed the libasound package from PPM into my cdrv_ArtStudio64_1.0.0.sfs, so easy to uninstall, as it's pretty small with some additional programs and libs only.

However: the Ubuntu package from PPM doesn't have that lib included!

Going to uninstall and doing the procedure again to make sure I didn't do anything else the wrong way.

Thanks for checking your Bionic64 for the missing lib.

My Music:

taersh

Post by taersh »

Reset cdrv_ArtStudio64_1.0.0.sfs to original.
Gnome WaveCleaner now running under JACK.
Don't know, what went wrong at first attempt.

My Music:

mikeslr

ProtonVPN for Bionicpup64 using Simple VPN implementation

Post by mikeslr »

Recently, 666philb published a How-To "Protonvpn for Fossapup" viewtopic.php?f=85&t=1085 Thanks, 666philb. :thumbup: It involves using pkg-cli and installing, among other things, OpenVPN. But I already have OscarTalks Simple VPN Implementation http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 59#1018059 installed in Bionicpup64. Thanks OscarTalks. :thumbup: IIRC, it defaults to using vpnbook as server with some alternatives. You'll also find posts regarding other servers.

[pkg-cli, thanks, Sc0ttman, :thumbup: is built into Bionicpup64. Menu listings may be turned off, but they aren't needed to run it via the command-line/terminal. If you're using a different Puppy and don't have it, see here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 531#985531]

Although I figured 666philb's instructions could be followed under Bionicpup64, re-installing openvpn seemed wasteful at best; and at worst might break the already existent system. I was about to try to figure out how to distill what was needed when Grey posted an alternate method of obtaining and using protonvpn. viewtopic.php?p=10850#p10850. :thumbup: :thumbup: This worked under Bionicpup64. :D
Expect more details after I have lunch. ;)
Edit: See the edit below the Red Line or my next post which distills OscarTalks instructions, viewtopic.php?p=10891#p10891:
When, following Grey's instructions you reached the Webpage offering the free config files you'll see a bunch of them. Rather than just downloading one, I downloaded several I thought might be useful and placed them all in the same folder. Grey's instructions for starting protonvpn under openvpn are "Run in terminal or create a script to run:
openvpn /path_to_configfile/nl-free-01.protonvpn.com.udp.ovpn
"
I'd suggest a script which you can place in /root/my-applicatons/bin named, perhaps "start-protonvpn"
Change the "path_to_configfile" to your actual path and you can run it from the terminal or add a pet or desktop launcher. Notice that all such scripts have two variables. I've bolded those in the above: nl-free-01.protonvpn.com.udp.ovpn. Those using a US server will have us; those a Japanese server jp. If you log into protonmail.com before starting protonvpn you can check which server is the busiest and the script can be easily edited if your default choice isn't currently the best one.
Remember, you loose existing network connections when you turn a VPN on or off.
At the time I downloaded the config files each had associated with it a percentage use figure. I think these showed to what extent of the available network was already in use. So you would want to choose the network with the then current lowest usage. Does anyone know whether that guess is correct?
With OscarTalks' simplevpn installed, Menu>Network>VPN-Stop will turn the VPN off. I'll have to review/examine simplevpn to see if there's an easy way to just add proton's config files to it. Kind of recall this issue was previously discussed.

Thanks, Grey, for confirming in your replay just below this post that regarding that when interpreting displayed usage figures "Less is More" available; and advising that even a 90% load is tolerable.

Although the above works, OscarTalk's method is easier and more elegant. Read these posts: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 93#1018172 followed by http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 93#1018232 and http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 93#1018324 :)
I should have re-read that thread before beginning this exploration. :oops:

Last edited by mikeslr on Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:55 am, edited 6 times in total.
Grey

Re: ProtonVPN for Bionicpup64 using Simple VPN implementation

Post by Grey »

mikeslr wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:32 pm

I think these showed to what extent of the available network was already in use. So you would want to choose the network with the then current lowest usage.

There is a pop-up label "Server load". Therefore, yes, it is logical to assume that most likely the LESS the percentage, the better.
But it works quite tolerably even with a load of 90 percent.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

So now that I wasted a lot of your time, by way of amends so that you don't have to, I've distilled OscarTalks posts and provide his instructions:

Signed up with e-mail
Logged in to their website which gives me my dashboard.
From there I can download the .ovpn config files for each of their servers.
Place this (or several of them) in /etc/vpn-onoff with the others.
Delete the symlink named vpnconfig
Right click the ProtonVPN .ovpn file and select "link"
Name the link you are creating as vpnconfig
(replacing what you just deleted)

From the dashboard I also obtain the long random username and password which I have to use.
Those I paste* into my vpnpass file (which is also in /etc/vpn-onoff)
Make sure you have the correct username and password in /etc/vpn-onoff/vpnpass
It should be the long, randomly generated ones from your Proton dashboard, not the ones you use to log in to Proton.
The long username goes on the first line, replacing the word "vpnbook"
The long password goes on the second line, replacing the word "password"

I add the path to my vpnpass file into the .ovpn config file:-
auth-user-pass /etc/vpn-onoff/vpnpass

In the ProtonVPN .ovpn config file, you will need to look for the 2 lines:-
up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf

These are causing will cause it to error out.

Delete them completely or comment them out:-
#up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
#down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf

In your .ovpn config file, make sure that the line which was originally auth-user-pass now has the path to /etc/vpn-onoff/vpnpass added after a space. It should now read
auth-user-pass /etc/vpn-onoff/vpnpass

That is telling openvpn where to look for the stored username and password.
Hover your mouse cursor over /etc/vpn-onoff/vpnconfig to confirm that it is a symlink to the correct file (your Proton .ovpn file).

Save and close everything.

always a good idea to click VPN-Stop before trying VPN-Start again. Otherwise open a terminal and enter killall openvpn to kill any openvpn process which is running but not completed initialisation.

The VPN-Start "button" in JWM menu then starts it and connects.

* Potentially a hacker could read the contents of the /etc folder. You may want to consider some method of not potentially exposing your user-name and password, to easily up-date vpnpass just before going online and remove it once you are. The latter is the hard part.

ciento

Post by ciento »

Hi, a few questions:
Is it possible to interrupt the bionic boot sequence, and give it a path to a specific
bionic savefile, when you have made more than one?

Or edit a config file to load a certain savefile?

Can a save-folder be moved to different drives, and still be found by
the boot sequence, if you have multiple drives at boot time?

Is the bionic search for bootable files configurable?

Is there a rt-friendly-m page that chronicles puppy boot specifics?
Cheers

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Others will weigh-in on this topic: I feel the questions asked are important and would probably be served with some document or instructions as many user would want to do this at some point for several reasons. This topic and approaches are NOT specific to BionicPUPs; rather they are applicable across the WoofCE Puppy landscape.

Is it possible to interrupt the bionic boot sequence, and give it a path to a specific
bionic savefile, when you have made more than one?

If you are referring to the Puppy Boot Menu, YES. Here you select the menu boot option and hit the "e" key to edit the boot line adding/adjusting its linux line accordingly. The PSAVE= parameter allows the user to direct the location of the Saved Session for booting uses.

Or edit a config file to load a certain savefile?

Yes, look at the grub.cfg and/or loopback.cfg for the booting PUP's Menu. Adjust accordingly.

Can a save-folder be moved to different drives, and still be found by the boot sequence, if you have multiple drives at boot time?

Yes, BUT, file-system compatibility "could" be an issue. Once moved, the same PSAVE described earlier in this post direct that.

Is the bionic search for bootable files configurable?

Not sure of the question and at what code level you want to make change.

Is there a rt-friendly-m page that chronicles puppy boot specifics?

This is the very reason "why" my 1st sentence in this thread exist. There is an official-unofficial PUP boot parm page, but, it does not contain the kinds of detail or examples on this topic I wish it did.

Hope this is helpful. Again, I am sure others will contribute. From it a document (maybe with illustrations) could result, with examples. Or a Youtu.be

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Example: I boot my PC from one of the 2020 WoofCE PUPs. It is booted from its ISO found by booting a USB.

The PUP is used and at shutdown the PUP forces the save-session back to the partition it booted from.

Next, I boot "to RAM" and move the session to a folder called "Sessions" on my system's HDD at gpt partition #7.

Rebooting PUPs, I interrupt the boot process when at the PUP's Menu, edit a Menu line and on the linux line add

Code: Select all

linux ...psave=sda7:/Sessions/

Hit F10 to allow it to boot and it finds the session(s) at boot time of its way to desktop. At desktop the PC now contains all of the entries it had before the PUP's shutdown.

Hope this example is helpful.
P.S. There is considerable work done on PUP's init for the upcoming 2021 WoofCE PUPs where there will be some improvements in PUP booting and save-session managment.

ciento

Post by ciento »

Thankyou so much! Excellent useful information. Now time for assimilation...
Cheers

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

If you make multiple save files/folders for the same Puppy version.
When it boots, it will stop showing a list of those multiple saves.
Choose the one to use.

Understand a save made for a specific Puppy version is only going to work in that specific version.
A save made for Slacko 6.3.2 is not going to work with Bionicpup64 8.0.

Why do you want to have multiple saves?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

ciento

Post by ciento »

A late answer to your question but there are two reasons,
one is that of diskspace for large commercial sample libraries,
and then there are inconsistencies in vst plugins, sometimes involving
the build systems used, older JUCE setups, for example, that can cause various fails.
So having the large and new software in one savefile, and the small and old, but still very useful
software in a separate savefile, is a sort of protection scheme.

It's never carved in stone, when installing some update, new product
or old newly-discovered product is going to cause trouble. This is
maily in regards to wine hosting M-soft version audio products.
The stale spaghetti of .net and visual-basic things doesn't help :roll:
Cheers

ciento

Post by ciento »

I found a drive in the stack (mis)labeled 1.5 gig, when it is 1.5 T :o

So I moved it to be the first drive on the bus, and copied over a 100 gig bionic savefile,
re-booted from cd, and the savefile was loaded. Very happy! The same file on external
usb drives, was ignored.
Cheers

icake

Post by icake »

I have created 6 half-Chinese language pets and 2 Chinese language pets for BionicPup64 8.0:

name of iso file: bionicpup64-8.0-uefi.iso
names of half-Chinese language pets:
fcitx Chinese input platform: fcitx64_4.2.9-en-zh-bionic-18.0.0.pet (30 mb)
scim Chinese input platform: scim64_1.4.14-en-zh-bionic-18.0.0.pet (23 mb)
yong Chinese input platform:
yong3264_4.2.0-en-zh-bionic-18.0.0.pet (8.6 mb)
yong3264_th_2016.11.5-en-zh-bionic-18.0.0.pet (7.9 mb)
yong3264_thjj_2016.7.29-en-zh-bionic-18.0.0.pet (8.4 mb)
yong3264_thth_2014.8.5-en-zh-bionic-18.0.0.pet (9.5 mb)

names of Chinese language pets:
Simplified Chinese: bionicpup64-8.0-zhcn-18.0.0.pet (3.7 mb)
Traditional Chinese: bionicpup64-8.0-zhhk-18.0.0.pet (3.6 mb)

To use:
(a) any 1 of the 4 half-Chinese language pets will enable you to display and input Chinese in BionicPup64 8.0

(b) the Chinese language pets will give you Simplified Chinese (use zhcn pet) or Traditional Chinese (use zhhk pet) menus, icon labels, tooltips for BionicPup32 8.0. For the Chinese pets to work normally, you must install a suitable half-Chinese pet prior to install the Chinese pet.

For more information and download links of these pets, please see the links below:
English forum: viewtopic.php?f=138&t=297
Chinese forum: https://www.minilinux.net/node/2545

ciento

Post by ciento »

A nice music software arrived, with a linux version that works in Reaper daw in Bionic,

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2021/0 ... t-sampler/

The link has links, it's a basic sample player with a few controls, that loads sounds from the PianoBook project,
that have been converted into DecentSampler format. Some of them are fabulous, such as the Winter Voices
choral samples, and the Array Mbira. Many pianos are available, but the collection holds a very wide variety.

The PianoBook project has a forum, a work in progress, but the wages are low, and time is short.
The link above mentions 103 sounds-sets, but the number is much larger now. DecentSampler
is a great complimentary instrument for linux synths like Yoshimi, Surge, Vital, and Odin2,
and lacks the complexity of the linux-sampler instruments.

For me, I put the DecentSanpler.so in /root/.vst I download some sound archives, extract them to /root/Documents,
where DecentSampler expects to find them, then launch Reaper with an instance or two of DecentSampler.
Once loaded, many of the soundsets provide a list of variants to choose from. Most are converts from Kontakt and EXS24
formats. DecentSampler should also work in qtractor and ardour etc
Cheers

Lassar

Post by Lassar »

How do I customize bionicpup64, so that
quick setup does not come up?

What do I have to do so that the fire wall is
applied automatically?

And how do you set up the time zone before hand?

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Lassar, did you take my advice, viewtopic.php?p=41883#p41883, to reformat the USB-Stick to something other than ntfs? so that you could create a SaveFile/Folder on it? The purpose of a SaveFile/Folder is to preserve settings, customizations, applications you install and other changes. In Puppy's 'merge-filesystem-in-RAM', the contents of a SaveFileFolder have priority: they will always be used until you change them and again Save.
Without a SaveFile or SaveFolder there's only one way to save changes you mentioned. And its rather inconvenient when you're first starting out and will be making changes as you learn more and find new applications you want.
That way involves creating either an adrv.sfs, a ydrv.sfs or both.
Download the nicOS-Utility-Suite, from here, viewtopic.php?p=12983#p12983. Right-Click it and from the popup-menu select UExtract. In the extraction folder you'll find a file named "nicOS-Utilities-Suite.sfs". Move that to the top of the partition on which Bionicpup64's files are located.
Then Right-Click it and select SFS-Load. After you've loaded it it will offer to run. If it doesn't immediately you may have to start it by clicking Menu>Utilities>nicOS-Utility-Suite. When it runs you'll see a GUI like the panel on the Left:

Selecting&Configuring Save2SFS.png
Selecting&Configuring Save2SFS.png (98.67 KiB) Viewed 2529 times

The 4th item on the list is nicOS-Save2SFS. Put a 'check' in the box and click OK. A GUI like that on the Right will open. Put a Check in the box (3) Work-Area RAMDISK [I'm not sure if it will work on NTFS partition], then select either ydrv or adrv.
Either will copy your current settings [in RAM] and create a READ-ONLY SFS file. IIRC, it will place it next to your System files. If not, you'll have to move it there.

Just keep this in mind if you later want to make changes. If you have both an adrv.sfs and a ydrv.sfs the files in the adrv.sfs will have priority. But, if you create a new ydrv.sfs it will incorporate the files of the both the ydrv.sfs and the adrv.sfs, overwriting those with the files currently in RAM if they differ. Creating a new adrv.sfs will use the files of the old adrv.sfs, overwriting those with any differing files currently in RAM.

However, before you set out to create an adrv.sfs or a ydrv.sfs, try option 1 on nicOS-Utitlity-Suite: nicOS-MakeSave. While it may be no more successful that the built-in routine, you've got nothing to loose beyond a little time.

Lassar

Post by Lassar »

No longer interested in save files, since it takes too long
to save, and the save file is way too big.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

SaveFiles don't have to be big or slow. See my post here, viewtopic.php?p=43296#p43296 and the one following it on that thread.
Optimally, a SaveFile should only hold your current settings and customizations: a couple of mbs, after which it takes only a couple of seconds to Save changes if, and only if, you've made changes.
An elephant can quickly swallow a banana. It takes an elephant a lot longer to swallow a banana republic.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Lassar wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:07 pm

No longer interested in save files, since it takes too long
to save, and the save file is way too big.

Maybe so. But the one, undeniable advantage of a save-file as opposed to a save-folder is the amount of time it takes to back it up. A save-file of any given size is simply one compressed lump of data. A save-folder of the same size has to copy hundreds of thousands of individual, often quite small files.....and that takes time. Plenty of it.....and the slower your system, obviously, the longer it will take.

Through experience, out of any given pair of identical 'saves', one in -file format, and the other in -folder format, the latter will take between 3 and 4 times longer to backup.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Lassar

Please update Bionicpup64 8.0 CE to use GLIBC 2.28-10

Post by Lassar »

Bionicpup64 8.0 CE is way better than Fossapup64 9.5.

The only problem with with Bionicpup64 8.0 CE is it needs
to be updated to have GLIBC 2.28-10.

Please update Bionicpup64 8.0 CE to use GLIBC 2.28-10.

Icewm-2.9.0-1 uses GLIBC 2.28-10.

This Icewm shows svg's, and it's window manager does not
show blue space at the top of the window, when you move
the Pale Moon browser window to the left.

OscarTalks

Re: Please update Bionicpup64 8.0 CE to use GLIBC 2.28-10

Post by OscarTalks »

Lassar wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:18 pm

Bionicpup64 8.0 CE is way better than Fossapup64 9.5.

The only problem with with Bionicpup64 8.0 CE is it needs
to be updated to have GLIBC 2.28-10.

Please update Bionicpup64 8.0 CE to use GLIBC 2.28-10.

Icewm-2.9.0-1 uses GLIBC 2.28-10.

There is no need to update glibc in BionicPup64
You are using a package from a wrong distribution

Lassar

Post by Lassar »

Like I said:

Bionicpup64 8.0 CE is way better than Fossapup64 9.5

Don't like Fossapup64 period

It's not as well organize as Bionicpup64.

And it's too big to boot.

Bionicpup64 8.0 CE is works very good, and not as big too.

Why not update Bionicpup64 8.0 CE to the latest GNU GLIBC library?

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Lassar wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:26 pm

Like I said:

Bionicpup64 8.0 CE is way better than Fossapup64 9.5

Don't like Fossapup64 period

It's not as well organize as Bionicpup64.

And it's too big to boot.

Bionicpup64 8.0 CE is works very good, and not as big too.

Why not update Bionicpup64 8.0 CE to the latest GNU GLIBC library?

Because Bionicpup64's core files are built against Glibc 2.27. Glibc is a foundation system. Replacing that with Glibc 2.28-10 will break many of the built-in applications that require Glibc 2.27. Replacing those applications an 'up-grade' will break will result in your having a mish-mash: a Fossapup64 with its bigger applications but also some older applications. Worse, Bionicpup64 was built to be 'binary compatible' to Ubuntu Bionic Beaver 64. Bionicpup64's Puppy Package Manager provides direct access to Ubuntu Bionic Beaver 64's Repositories. Many of the packages found there were built against Glibc 2.27; as many of Ubuntu Fossa Focal's applications were built against Glibc 2.28. To which Repository, or none, should your mish-mash Puppy provide access?

Why don't you read the replies people take the time to post, try to implement them and only then post problems you encounter trying to implement them or after you implement them?
Why are you still booting from a partition formatted ntfs? Why haven't you uninstalled the icewm from the wrong repo and installed the icewm which Bionicpup64's Puppy Package Manager offers?

number698

Post by number698 »

unable to get the xvkbd - Drop-down on-screen keyboard working correctly (It seems to NOT swallow/hide ?) has something changed in jwm ?

The usual addition has been,

<Tray autohide="true" halign="center" valign="top"><Swallow name="xvkbd">xvkbd -no-keypad</Swallow></Tray>

To the file,

/root/.jwmrc-tray

restart window manager.

E.g.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<JWM>
<Tray autohide="true" halign="center" valign="top"><Swallow name="xvkbd">xvkbd -no-keypad</Swallow></Tray>
<Tray autohide="off" insert="right" x="0" y="-1" width="0" height="30" layer="above" layout="horizontal" halign="left" valign="bottom" >
<!-- Additional TrayButton attribute: label -->

Also tried,
Tray autohide="on"
istead of,
Tray autohide="true"

number698

Post by number698 »

fixed

"top" not on or true.

<Tray autohide="top" halign="center" valign="top"><Swallow name="xvkbd">xvkbd -no-keypad</Swallow></Tray>

Return to “Bionic”