Bionicpup64 8.0 CE

Moderator: Forum moderators

666philb

Bionicpup64 8.0 CE

Post by 666philb »

released 14/3/2019

Bionicpup64 8.0 CE

kernel 4.19.23

built with woofce using ubuntu 18.04 bionic beaver packages & various .pet packages.

All the usual packages (many updated)... palemoon, deadbeef, quickpet, pburn, jwm ,change_kernels, gnumeric, abiword, mpv, samba, jwmdesk, geany, simple screen recorder, mtpaint, dunst, transmission, pkg, uget, osmo etc.

Some new stuff ...
woodenshoe-wis rox filer. rox now has copy and paste!
compton compositor set up as default. adds subtle shadows to windows and menus.
matching JWM, GTK2 & GTK3 themes
claws-mail now has a tray icon.
steps findnrun now default in tray
rg66 & geoffreys tweaked retrovol
ffconvert swapped for qwinff
homebank is back.
sunfish chess
guvcview
redshift-gui
janky_BT bluetooth
gpick instead of gcolor
take a shot instead of screeny

current issues are in the next post

download here http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-bionic/

background by StudioNuts & Bulldog Studiohttps://www.behance.net/gallery/14710697/cyber-dog-l-studionuts

a video of bionicpup64 in action is here :

Attachments
bionicpup64.jpg
bionicpup64.jpg (104.57 KiB) Viewed 35662 times
Last edited by rockedge on Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 9 times in total.
666philb

Re: Bionicpup64 8.0 CE

Post by 666philb »

Bionicpup64 8.0 updates and bug fixes

Bionicpup64 8.0 has a few bug fixes and updates that did not get into the final release.

After installing it and booting to a working desktop.

Get internet connection working, by WIFI or Ethernet.

Do a shutdown and make a save to store changes in.

On next boot up, using the save, there will be a Quickpet icon on the desktop.

Run Quickpet ->Info ->Bionicpup updates

This will download and install the updates.

Reboot and update the save, so these new change are now being used.

Do this until it reports nothing new found.

Last edited by bigpup on Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added info about doing a Quickpet update
iarda1

Post by iarda1 »

Try to use F96-CE non co-existing with any, without compressed and depressed redundancies, not 'frugally' forced.

Moose On The Loose

Re: Bionicpup64 8.0 CE and SAMBA

Post by Moose On The Loose »

It appears that the SAMBA client that is part of Bionic is not working correctly.
Has anyone reported an issue and ideally a fix?

Details:
This machine I am typing on is sharing some stuff (is Puppy 528 based).
Windows-7 can get to the shares.
Windows-10 can get to the shares with a little trouble
Another Puppy 528 can get to the shares.

Bionic finds the shares correctly and shows them in the pnethood dialog as expected.
When I attempt to "connect" it complains about permissions.
Any guesses?
ndujoe1

Post by ndujoe1 »

As I recall configuring a longer search time delay will correct the issue.
ahoppin

Post by ahoppin »

Thanks, but a longer search time didn't help here.

Pnethood finds Samba shares, but it won't connect to them - it says no permission.

It also finds Windows 2000 shares, but trying to connect to them freezes Pnethood. I have to kill the mount process to thaw it out.

I've increased the Pnethood search time to the max. The only change thus wrought is that it now takes much longer before it fails to open the shares.

YASSM doesn't work any better. Samba Share Search locates the Samba shares, but when I try to connect it says "No connection to <share>." For Win2K it locates only "hidden@<machine-name>" and fails to connect to it.

I can ping both machines.

I can connect to shares on both machines if I boot up good old Lucid and use its pnethood. Pnethood doesn't work on some later pups, but at least YASSM usually does. Not in Bionic though.

Since this seems to be the only report of problems, I have to assume that most others are using Bionic64's SMB networking successfully. I must be doing something wrong. Any idea what? Thanks!
mow9902

Post by mow9902 »

Check this link - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=713

I also have not been able to get pnethood or YASSM to mount my attached NAS drive. However I can do it manually and I believe it is because of the missing parameter "vers=1.0"

Here's the command which works for me - so I just put it in a script so I can pass the required parameters to it.
mount.cifs //$TARGETSERVER/$TARGETSHARE $MOUNTPOINT -o password=$TARGETPASS,nobrl,vers=1.0
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

I don't know what version of YASSM is in Bionicpup (the Buster Starter Kit is up to v4.7).

But the Help button provides a discussion about the new vers=x.x option.
peebee

Post by peebee »

rcrsn51 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:19 am I don't know what version of YASSM is in Bionicpup (the Buster Starter Kit is up to v4.7).
All Woof-CE builds will use:
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... SM-4.1.pet

It can be updated to 4.7 if this is available?

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

WoodLark

Post by WoodLark »

I was also unable to get YASSM to work, but I was able to mount shares in Bionic by adding the following line to /etc/fstab:

Code: Select all

//192.168.1.1/Downloads /shares/Downloads cifs guest,uid=0,gid=0,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,noperm,vers=1.0  0 0
You may have to change the vers= number depending on the samba server version being used. You also need to create the directories where the shares will be mounted.
DixieDog

Post by DixieDog »

I have my list of things I use and they all are in Quick Pet, and work.
mikewalsh

Re: Bidding farewell to BB64...

Post by mikewalsh »

It seems a real shame to have to report this, but I'm giving up on Bionicpup64. And NOT for want of trying, either...

I started using BB64 a couple of years ago, back when I still had the old Compaq tower. Despite the relatively low specs of the Compaq, it ran very sweetly. And then come January this year, when the Compaq died, and I treated myself to this new HP Pavilion mini-tower, everything went downhill....

I could understand it if I was having the same issues that have plagued me in Bionic with every other Pup I run, but the rest of the kennels are "gold" on here. The basic issue is network connectivity; for some stupid reason, Bionicpup64 8.0 will NOT connect to the 'net unless the router is re-booted first....

....and I have to do this every single time I boot into it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I've tried:-
  • Re-installing; initially I thought it was simply a bad download, but I've re-downloaded the ISO at least 3 or 4 times, and checked the MD5 every time.....and it ALWAYS matches. So it's not that.
  • I've swapped kernels, primarily with the k4.9.58 from Xenialpup64 (though I have tried others). I use this with all my other 64-bit Pups, 'cos it's just SO stable. But in Bionic, it introduces other "issues".....too many other issues to go into.
  • I've "upgraded" with all the up-to-date network stuff that rerwin's produced for Bionic64. Hasn't made a scrap of difference.
  • I've tried everything I can think of, but there just seems to be some basic incompatibilty between Bionic itself, this hardware, and our router.
I don't blame Philip, not one little bit; it would be churlish of me to do so. The rest of the thing works flawlessly! But since I have 4 other 64-bitzers, including:-

- Xenialpup64 7.5
- josejp2424's DPup Buster64 8.0
- jrb's lightweight 'spin' on BK's Quirky64 'April' 7.0.1, &
- My own MediaPup build, based on Bionic64 (which doesn't connect to the 'net.....well; whether it does or not, I couldn't care less, since I built this specifically for multimedia work)

.....I'm going to save myself continuous grief every time I try to run BB64, and wave "Bye-bye" to it. An OS that won't connect to the 'net without having to jump through hoops and fight it every step of the way is no good to man nor beast. The curious thing is, of course, that every other Pup in the kennels is perfectly happy with the same, identical hardware.

Odd, or what?

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Have you tried any alternate connection managers?
taersh

Post by taersh »

I started using BB64 a couple of years ago,
Wow, I didn't know it's being published already a couple of years ago. ;)

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Hallo, Bill.

Well; I won't be doing anything with the existing install, because I've already wiped it off the disk! Frankly, I'm tired of fighting it, and I'd had enough.

- SNS wouldn't behave itself.
- Frisbee wouldn't behave itself.
- 'Dougal's' wouldn't behave itself.

I haven't tried any others. Are we talking about like Peasyconnect, PeasyWifi, that sort of thing? This mini-tower has also got a wireless chip, though it's one of these 'combination' wifi/Bluetooth jobs, and I've never been able to get it to connect to anything.....

----------------------------------------

If you like, I'm prepared to give some of these others a go with a 'clean' Bionicpup64 install, though how far my patience will hold I don't know. The curious thing is that whichever network manager I use in BB64, it'll behave itself for maybe 4 or 5 boots, and then everything goes to hell in a handbasket.....at which point, repeatedly re-booting the router seems to be the only thing that will get a connection.

If this has any success, perhaps it'll serve to help other Puppians that may end up with one of these Pavilion towers, although BB64 is the only Puppy that seems to have issues with the hardware.....

For information:-

The ethernet chip is an RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 15), reported by PupSysInfo - uses the r8169 driver (HardInfo reports it as an RTL 8169).

Wifi is reported by lshw as an RTL8822BE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WiFi adapter. I don't know what driver this uses; ever since WikiDevi morphed into DeviWiki, their database has completely gone to pot. I used to use this all the time to find out info about chips/drivers, etc, but it's a bit of a waste of time these days.

Any other info you might need, let me know, please.

Mike. ;)

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

PeasyWiFi also handles Ethernet connections.
DixieDog

Re: Bidding farewell to BB64...

Post by DixieDog »

mikewalsh wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:39 pm It seems a real shame to have to report this, but I'm giving up on Bionicpup64. And NOT for want of trying, either...

I started using BB64 a couple of years ago, back when I still had the old Compaq tower. Despite the relatively low specs of the Compaq, it ran very sweetly. And then come January this year, when the Compaq died, and I treated myself to this new HP Pavilion mini-tower, everything went downhill....

I could understand it if I was having the same issues that have plagued me in Bionic with every other Pup I run, but the rest of the kennels are "gold" on here. The basic issue is network connectivity; for some stupid reason, Bionicpup64 8.0 will NOT connect to the 'net unless the router is re-booted first....

....and I have to do this every single time I boot into it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I've tried:-
  • Re-installing; initially I thought it was simply a bad download, but I've re-downloaded the ISO at least 3 or 4 times, and checked the MD5 every time.....and it ALWAYS matches. So it's not that.
  • I've swapped kernels, primarily with the k4.9.58 from Xenialpup64 (though I have tried others). I use this with all my other 64-bit Pups, 'cos it's just SO stable. But in Bionic, it introduces other "issues".....too many other issues to go into.
  • I've "upgraded" with all the up-to-date network stuff that rerwin's produced for Bionic64. Hasn't made a scrap of difference.
  • I've tried everything I can think of, but there just seems to be some basic incompatibilty between Bionic itself, this hardware, and our router.
I don't blame Philip, not one little bit; it would be churlish of me to do so. The rest of the thing works flawlessly! But since I have 4 other 64-bitzers, including:-

- Xenialpup64 7.5
- josejp2424's DPup Buster64 8.0
- jrb's lightweight 'spin' on BK's Quirky64 'April' 7.0.1, &
- My own MediaPup build, based on Bionic64 (which doesn't connect to the 'net.....well; whether it does or not, I couldn't care less, since I built this specifically for multimedia work)

.....I'm going to save myself continuous grief every time I try to run BB64, and wave "Bye-bye" to it. An OS that won't connect to the 'net without having to jump through hoops and fight it every step of the way is no good to man nor beast. The curious thing is, of course, that every other Pup in the kennels is perfectly happy with the same, identical hardware.

Odd, or what?

Mike. ;)
💩
ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@mike - what are the outputs of
lspci -nn | grep etwork
and
dmesg | grep -i firmware
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

ozsouth wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:15 am @mike - what are the outputs of
lspci -nn | grep etwork
and
dmesg | grep -i firmware
Mornin', Oz.

Now; d'you want me to try that with a 'clean' BB64? Or do you want a 'working' version?

If you want a 'working' version, I'll have to restore from backup. I'll have to dig around in the back of my study cupboard.....that's where I keep the external HDD with my backups on it.

Let me know which is preferable, please.

Mike. ;)

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@mike - any pup will do. Trying to check wifi failure. Since bionic is the biggest bugbear, would be interesting to see if outputs differ.
DixieDog

Post by DixieDog »

Sorry the one eyed dog did not behave.
Some times a pc just will not workwith an OS,,,or vice versa.
Right now I cannot find the perfect OS,, I using Mint 19.3 as Mint 20, LMDE4 do not work,,,
If I can get my dog to print to network brother printer,,,,I will give it the big doghouse
Lekium

Post by Lekium »

1) I accidentally right clicked and quit the disk usage symbol on the bottom right corner of the screen, near the clock. How do I get it back?

2) Im running this OS from a 16Gb sdcard in a usb adapter. Where can I save .AppImage applications so they run normally without filling my save file?
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Lekium wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:01 pm2) Im running this OS from a 16Gb sdcard in a usb adapter. Where can I save .AppImage applications so they run normally without filling my save file?
@Lekium :-

Hallo, and Image to the 'kennels'.

AppImages, hm? They're a favourite of mine, too.

As to where to save them, well.....basically, anywhere you like outside of the 'save'. AppImages will run from anywhere, provided whatever partition/drive you have 'em on is mounted when you go to use them. They unpack to /tmp, and run from there for the duration; if you have enough of it, they'll run in RAM, too, making them more responsive.

Any further questions about 'em, just ask. There's a few of us on here like running them, because they fit so well with the way Pup works.

Mike. ;)

Lekium

Post by Lekium »

Thank you for your prompt reply and warm welcome.

I placed them in the same directory as pupsave, changed permissions in properties to become executable and so far so good.
Attachments
appimage and hardware specifications.png
appimage and hardware specifications.png (469.86 KiB) Viewed 3813 times
666philb

Post by 666philb »

Lekium wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:01 pm 1) I accidentally right clicked and quit the disk usage symbol on the bottom right corner of the screen, near the clock. How do I get it back?

2) Im running this OS from a 16Gb sdcard in a usb adapter. Where can I save .AppImage applications so they run normally without filling my save file?
hi @Lekium

the icon on the taskbar will come back next boot or you can restart it now left clicking on
/root/Startup/autostart/freememapplet.desktop
Lekium

Post by Lekium »

Done, it's back, thank you.

Do I need to delete or clean anything after using an appimage, before saving my session and shutting down? I would like to avoid cutter building up and keep my pupsave .sfs lean.
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I think it would depend on what the appimage program did when running.
Did it make any files?
If yes, where did it put them?
If it just puts stuff it makes in /tmp directory.
That directory gets cleaned out on shutdown/reboot.

So what is the appimage program?
Last edited by bigpup on Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Lekium

Post by Lekium »

PrusaSlicer and Freecad from the respective github repos.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Lekium wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:29 pm Done, it's back, thank you.

Do I need to delete or clean anything after using an appimage, before saving my session and shutting down? I would like to avoid cutter building up and keep my pupsave .sfs lean.
Nah, there shouldn't be any need.

Anything that runs in /tmp - which AppImages are designed to do by default - will completely disappear into cyberspace at power-down. The only thing you will probably have left on the system will be any config files the AppImage generates; they may be run-anywhere applications, but they still generate config files just like their 'standard' counterparts.

This is what we've tried to avoid with the range of portable browsers that are available for Puppy; the portable-browser will generate its 'profile'/config files entirely within its own directory, and use those every time so long as it's started in the intended manner.....meaning you could, if you wanted, 'install' it to a flash-drive and run that portable browser on different machines. In theory.....

We haven't got around to trying this with many other items yet, but it should be 'do-able'. Anything's possible.....given time!

(I run FreeCAD myself. You'll find a FreeCAD directory in /root/.config (you'll need to click ROX's 'eye' symbol to see it.....this reveals 'hidden' files (anything with a dot (.) in front of it)).

Mike. ;)

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

FreeCAD should have some setting in the preferences for where it puts stuff it produces.
Anything you put in /mnt/home or on some other drive is outside of the save.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “Bionic”