Unable to install KL to Lenovo Ideapad laptop

Moderator: Forum moderators

Gnimmelf

Unable to install KL to Lenovo Ideapad laptop

Post by Gnimmelf »

Hi there
i tried to install almost all of KL - coulndt make any of them work....?
if i try different usb installers in fossapup F96 - CE i always get the message that there is no frugal file found.
i also tried balena etcher and unetbootin - balena gives error - unetbootin doesnt boot with "u need to load kernel" message.
i tried both grub2 and grub4 and wd_multi KL frugal install, couldnt make any of it work.....

is there a simpel way for a relative newbie to try for eksample KLV-BspwmCE-1.5 Stable from a usb?

i dont know what im doing wrong..... bookworm - fossa - bionic - s15pup etc al of them i can make work without problem, some of the with the "nomodeset" in the grub file.

can someone eksplain this to me in simple terms?

im on a lenovo ideapad gaming 3 laptop

kindly Gnimmelf

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Unable to install KL to Lenovo Ideapad laptop

Post by rockedge »

@Gnimmelf I have never tried any other methods than the manual way of installing a KL so I am not sure how the USB creator programs will work.

Simple way to create a USB drive manually is to use a Puppy Linux to work with and use Gparted to create and format the USB drive partition. I am using ext4 and LABEL the partition "KLVSYS". Important is to set the boot flag for the partition!!

Use either Grub4Dos or grub2 boot loader config and even though there is no distro yet let it finish installing the boot loader.

Create a directory on the USB drive, for example: /KLV-Airedale. Open up an ISO of the distro and copy the contents to that new directory. The /boot directory isn't really needed in this case but does no harm having it included.

now in the /KLV-Airedale directory there is a script wd_grubconfig to use to determine the boot stanza's. Run wd_grubconfig in a terminal.

Code: Select all

Assuming names: kernel is vmlinuz and initrd is initrd.gz and booting is
from this build directory and needed modules and firmware are present:

#####menu.lst (note the LABEL or UUID options below):
title KLV-Airedale-sr6
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies /KLV-Airedale-sr6/grub_config.txt
  kernel /KLV-Airedale-sr6/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=LABEL=psystem=/KLV-Airedale-sr6 w_changes=RAM2
  initrd /KLV-Airedale-sr6/initrd.gz
#############################OR uuid method:
title KLV-Airedale-sr6
  find --set-root uuid () 8a8ea99d-a1b0-4c43-b1a0-d4ce5c9c7dfa
  kernel /KLV-Airedale-sr6/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=UUID=8a8ea99d-a1b0-4c43-b1a0-d4ce5c9c7dfa=/KLV-Airedale-sr6 w_changes=RAM2

#####grub.cfg (note the UUID or LABEL options below):
menuentry "KLV-Airedale-sr6" {
  insmod ext2
  search --no-floppy --label psystem --set
  linux /KLV-Airedale-sr6/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=LABEL=psystem=/KLV-Airedale-sr6 w_changes=RAM2
}
  insmod ext2
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 8a8ea99d-a1b0-4c43-b1a0-d4ce5c9c7dfa
  linux /KLV-Airedale-sr6/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=UUID=8a8ea99d-a1b0-4c43-b1a0-d4ce5c9c7dfa=/KLV-Airedale-sr6 w_changes=RAM2
}

Refer to /mnt/home/KLV-Airedale-sr6/grub_config.txt for
copy of this information plus blkid info.
Note that you can remove w_changes=RAM2 if you don't want
save session on demand mode.

The first two listed are for Grub4Dos. These stanza's get placed in the menu.lst. I recommend using the UUID type boot stanza in case there is no partition LABEL.

Now the USB drive should boot.

Also this is the round-about way to make a frugal hard drive installation as well.

Sorry the description is short, I am pressed for time at the moment........if you need more help go ahead and ask and we'll work from there!

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@Gnimmelf I understand many of the issues newbies and users run into with getting forum distros to get going from PCs, to exploding ISOs to disk, to writing USBs, to etc...

I have found a universal solution which in most cases always achieve going from ISO download to desktop with little to no fanfare.

It involves making a USB only once and it will boot the KL you select by merely adding the KL ISO(s) and selecting any KL or F96PUP ISOs you might have have each time you boot. In the KLs, the solution has worked for more than a year with NO complaints in its use.

The method always produces a bootable USB. You would never have future issues with using it. You will be able to use the USB forever. You future would reduce to merely:

1. downloading any KL of your choice to the USB

2. and booting any of your downloaded KLs whenever you start your PC with your USB.

This method removes ALL those pesky issues all users run into getting to a running desktop.

Would this be something you'd prefer?

Gnimmelf

Post by Gnimmelf »

Clarity wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:36 pm

yes but i dont know how or if its to complicated?

kindly

Gnimmelf

Post by Gnimmelf »

"These stanza's get placed in the menu.lst. I recommend using the UUID type boot stanza in case there is no partition LABEL.

Also this is the round-about way to make a frugal hard drive installation as well."

did all above - dont know how to "These stanza's get placed in the menu.lst" ? cannot seem to copy from the terminal.......

kindly

Gnimmelf

Post by Gnimmelf »

rockedge wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:12 pm

@Gnimmelf I have never tried any other methods than the manual way of installing a KL so I am not sure how the USB creator programs will work.

Simple way to create a USB drive manually is to use a Puppy Linux to work with and use Gparted to create and format the USB drive partition. I am using ext4 and LABEL the partition "KLVSYS". Important is to set the boot flag for the partition!!

Use either Grub4Dos or grub2 boot loader config and even though there is no distro yet let it finish installing the boot loader.

Create a directory on the USB drive, for example: /KLV-Airedale. Open up an ISO of the distro and copy the contents to that new directory. The /boot directory isn't really needed in this case but does no harm having it included.

now in the /KLV-Airedale directory there is a script wd_grubconfig to use to determine the boot stanza's. Run wd_grubconfig in a terminal.

title KLV-Airedale-sr6
  kernel /KLV-Airedale-sr6/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=LABEL=psystem=/KLV-Airedale-sr6 w_changes=RAM2
title KLV-Airedale-sr6
  kernel /KLV-Airedale-sr6/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=UUID=8a8ea99d-a1b0-4c43-b1a0-d4ce5c9c7dfa=/KLV-Airedale-sr6 w_changes=RAM2

insmod ext2
  linux /KLV-Airedale-sr6/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=LABEL=psystem=/KLV-Airedale-sr6 w_changes=RAM2
}
  insmod ext2
  linux /KLV-Airedale-sr6/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=UUID=8a8ea99d-a1b0-4c43-b1a0-d4ce5c9c7dfa=/KLV-Airedale-sr6 w_changes=RAM2
}

The first two listed are for Grub4Dos. These stanza's get placed in the menu.lst. I recommend using the UUID type boot stanza in case there is no partition LABEL.

Also this is the round-about way to make a frugal hard drive installation as well.

Sorry the description is short, I am pressed for time at the moment........if you need more help go ahead and ask and we'll work from there!

did all above - dont know how to "These stanza's get placed in the menu.lst" ? cannot seem to copy from the terminal.......

kindly

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Gnimmelf wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:07 pm

Surprisingly, NOT complicated at all.

There are forum threads I can steer you to, 2 in particular: One is from a KL developer and another done months before. The steps are the same for each.

To simply get you started, with your USB stick, do you prefer using Linux or Win/MAC for the creation of your USB stick?

The tool that creates your USB for you is the same in both environments.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Gnimmelf wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:28 pm

title KLV-Airedale-sr6
title KLV-Airedale-sr6

insmod ext2
}
  insmod ext2
}

kindly

Okay, now that you've run the wd_grubconfig, it wrote these stanzas in the /KLV directory from where you ran it, inside a text file called: grub_config.txt. Just open menu.1st and grub_config.txt in Geany (or your favorite text editor) and copy the stanzas into menu 1st.

If you copy them accurately, it should boot fine. You should get a choice on the grub boot screen. The wd_grubconfig script works very well.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

wiak

Post by wiak »

Of course you need to know if you are using grub4dos or grub2 and where the grub config file is. If grub4dos it is called menu.lst; if grub2, it is called grub.cfg. But if you already booting Puppy successfully you already know which you are using and where the config is. After first running script wd_grubconfig, the grub_config.txt stanzas will show possibilities for EITHER grub4dos OR grub2 so you have to select a stanza for the correct one of course... But since you already boot Puppy you will know which are the ones that fit the syntax of you boot loader. I'd choose a stanza that uses UUID method - the UUID provided on running wd_grubconfig shell script will be exact for your computer so nothing for you to think about there - if you add it and use it with your grub it should certainly boot - pretty much always does. If Puppy boots then KL distros will boot. You certainly NEED to run wd_grubconfig after installing in frugal install directory in order for KL to detect you system partition layout and provide you with exact grub stanzas that will boot without further issue.

EDIT: re-reading your above problem posts. Main thing seems to be that you don't know how to copy text out from terminal - presumably you have a pretty basic terminal like rxvt (which personally I hate). Nevertheless if you highlight the text in the terminal you should be able to paste it thereafter using middle-mouse-button. But better is that after running ./wd_grubconfig script, which writes the information it produces also into text file grub_config.txt; just then open grub_config.txt and you should find it easy enough to copy the stanzas out of their into your grub config file.

Obviously the system works or none of us would be here using it all the time. It is certainly no more difficult to install and use than other distros like Puppy Linux. In fact, the wd_grubconfig mechanism makes it easier in practice once you have an already working grub boot loader.

If you prefer to use Ventoy, which Clarity wants you to, then fine - just boot from the iso with that if you find that easier.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Gnimmelf

Post by Gnimmelf »

Clarity wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:48 pm
Gnimmelf wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:07 pm

Surprisingly, NOT complicated at all.

There are forum threads I can steer you to, 2 in particular: One is from a KL developer and another done months before. The steps are the same for each.

To simply get you started, with your USB stick, do you prefer using Linux or Win/MAC for the creation of your USB stick?

The tool that creates your USB for you is the same in both environments.

im on f96-ce puppy linux.

kindly

Gnimmelf

Post by Gnimmelf »

geo_c wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:48 am
Gnimmelf wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:28 pm

title KLV-Airedale-sr6
title KLV-Airedale-sr6

insmod ext2
}
  insmod ext2
}

kindly

Okay, now that you've run the wd_grubconfig, it wrote these stanzas in the /KLV directory from where you ran it, inside a text file called: grub_config.txt. Just open menu.1st and grub_config.txt in Geany (or your favorite text editor) and copy the stanzas into menu 1st.

If you copy them accurately, it should boot fine. You should get a choice on the grub boot screen. The wd_grubconfig script works very well.

# menu.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v1.9.3
color blue/cyan yellow/blue white/black cyan/black
#splashimage=/splash.xpm
timeout 10
default 0

# Frugal installed Puppy

title KLV-Spectr-RT
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /KLV-Spectr-RT/grub_config.txt
kernel /KLV-Spectr-RT/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=LABEL==/KLV-Spectr-RT w_changes=RAM2
initrd /KLV-Spectr-RT/initrd.gz
title KLV-Spectr-RT
find --set-root uuid () 83c76abd-3f0d-4b3c-98ea-af1ad17a427f
kernel /KLV-Spectr-RT/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=UUID=83c76abd-3f0d-4b3c-98ea-af1ad17a427f=/KLV-Spectr-RT w_changes=RAM2

# Full installed Linux

title KLV-Spectr-RT
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /KLV-Spectr-RT/grub_config.txt
kernel /KLV-Spectr-RT/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=LABEL==/KLV-Spectr-RT w_changes=RAM2
title KLV-Spectr-RT
kernel /KLV-Spectr-RT/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=UUID=83c76abd-3f0d-4b3c-98ea-af1ad17a427f=/KLV-Spectr-RT w_changes=RAM2

menuentry "KLV-Spectr-RT" {
insmod ext2
search --no-floppy --label --set
linux /KLV-Spectr-RT/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=LABEL==/KLV-Spectr-RT w_changes=RAM2
}
menuentry "KLV-Spectr-RT" {
insmod ext2
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 83c76abd-3f0d-4b3c-98ea-af1ad17a427f
linux /KLV-Spectr-RT/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=UUID=83c76abd-3f0d-4b3c-98ea-af1ad17a427f=/KLV-Spectr-RT w_changes=RAM2
}

Refer to /mnt/sda1/KLV-Spectr-RT/grub_config.txt for
/dev/nvme0n1p3: UUID="3953d684-63c3-4463-a522-aa11c32784ec"
/dev/nvme0n1p2: UUID="a7250b8f-5821-44dc-a575-a4b86054fa4c"
/dev/nvme0n1p1: UUID="FEED-2B68"
/root/Downloads/KLV-Spectr-RT.iso: UUID="2023-09-08-21-11-08-66"
/dev/sda1: UUID="83c76abd-3f0d-4b3c-98ea-af1ad17a427f"

title Linux KLV-Spectr-RT (sda1/KLV-Spectr-RT)
kernel /KLV-Spectr-RT/vmlinuz root=UUID=83c76abd-3f0d-4b3c-98ea-af1ad17a427f ro
# root=/dev/sda1

title Find Grub2\nBoot up grub2 if installed
errorcheck off
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img
kernel /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /boot/grub/core.img
kernel /boot/grub/core.img
errorcheck on

# Windows
# this entry searches Windows on the HDD and boot it up
title Windows\nBoot up Windows if installed
errorcheck off
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /bootmgr
chainloader /bootmgr
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /ntldr
chainloader /ntldr
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /io.sys
chainloader /io.sys
errorcheck on

# Advanced Menu
title Advanced menu
configfile /menu-advanced.lst
commandline

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
now it looks like above - still doesnt boot - i feel stupid - what am i doing wrong?

kindly

wiak

Post by wiak »

Gnimmelf wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:37 am

now it looks like above - still doesnt boot

Looking at your above post it seems as if you have copied the whole text of grub_config.txt into what looks like a grub4dos menu.lst. You should only be copying in a single boot stanza. The overall grub_config.txt includes stanzas for both grub4dos and also possible ones for grub2 boot loaders along with english text which has nothing to do with booting would prevent grub working - so it wouldn't boot for sure...

What you should first post here is the menu.lst that works booting Puppy Linux distro, which you said booted fine. Then we can tell you what to add to that. What you have in your above post will never work. Hopefully you still have a menu.lst that does work for booting Puppy Linux (which is not KL of course) because the above menu.lst is completely broken and no use sorry.

Assuming you do have a working menu.lst for Puppy Linux, the following is single stanza for booting that KL assuming you first ran script ./wd_grubconfig, as was explained to you before, and above post was the result. Single stanza then looks like this only, which you would add near the end of your definitely working with Puppy Linux menu.lst:

title KLV-Spectr-RT

Assuming it is grub4dos you are using as your boot loader and not grub2.

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Gnimmelf

Post by Gnimmelf »

gave up folks - sorry to waste your time - this was just to difficult for me - will have to wait until something easier comes up - will stick with F96 for now.

thanks for trying..... :thumbup:

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Gnimmelf wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:18 am

Hello @Gnimmelf F96-CE is great and is all you need,

I understand your struggles. To get YOU to where you want to be, for now as well as in the future, is simply, "EASY". There is NO 'learning curve': There is little to NO thought required. Merely very few directions.

I ONLY want you to download this Linux open source file script from here. The rest is all too easy. (You'll laugh at how easy this is)

We can guide you to a smooth sailing. And you'll never need us again to do your work in booting a KL distro; AGAIN this works for now as well as the future. The above script is going to 'properly' create a bootable USB for you.

Let us know when you have this downloaded. We will then guide you to completion with clear understanding.

Gnimmelf

Post by Gnimmelf »

Clarity wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:17 pm
Gnimmelf wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:18 am

Hello @Gnimmelf F96-CE is great and is all you need,

I understand your struggles. To get YOU to where you want to be, for now as well as in the future, is simply, "EASY". There is NO 'learning curve': There is little to NO thought required. Merely very few directions.

I ONLY want you to download this Linux open source file script from here. The rest is all too easy. (You'll laugh at how easy this is)

We can guide you to a smooth sailing. And you'll never need us again to do your work in booting a KL distro; AGAIN this works for now as well as the future. The above script is going to 'properly' create a bootable USB for you.

Let us know when you have this downloaded. We will then guide you to completion with clear understanding.

i have the download now :thumbup:

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Great. This script will create your USB for you. It is simple to use. You are using F96CE so

1. using ROX file-manager, double-click the downloaded file and a PUP utility will open to expand the file into a folder.

2. Note the folder it shows where the output will be saved and allow the utility to expand it there.

3. open that folder the utility place the output. You will see files in the Ventoy folder (example a README, VentoyGUI...).

4. Right-click an open area in that ROX window where the files are (do not right-click any file, right click any where there is no file in that ROX window)

5. Scroll down to Window>Terminal Here and a terminal will open for typing

6. type "./VentoyGUI.x86_64" then hit the enter key

7. I think you'll know what to do next as it will be apparent (MAKE SURE!!! You choose your USB!!!)

Setup your USB.jpg
    Setup your USB.jpg (24.63 KiB) Viewed 12496 times

Your bootable USB has been created for you, by you.

Now, I want you to mount that USB and click the Ventoy partition to open in ROX
create a folder in the ROX window named 'BOOTISOS'

Lastly, I want you to

• copy the KL ISO file you have into the /BOOTISOS folder on the USB.

• Copy the ISO file, intact. You are to do nothing to it or its internals. Just copy the ISO file to the folder.

(You will keep ALL of your forum distros in this folder on this USB, as you go into your future)

Your USB is, now, a runable KL. To use, merely reboot your PC using the USB, click the KL it shows and go ... it will look like any normal distro you have every used booting to the KL desktop. Hit the enter key allowing it to boot to desktop.

ANY issues, report back here and any one of us will help you

Last edited by Clarity on Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

When complete and happy, PLEASE report back as KLs have a simple feature that the developers have done for maintaining your sessions that you'd want to know of. It is subtle and built-in to make your life, now and in the future, easy and simple.

Finally, in your future, you will ONLY add ISO files to the 'BOOTISOS' folder on your USB. No other steps, no prior steps, no changing stanza, no seeking-moving files, no chasing ... "you get the picture"! Just add ISO files and boot them to desktop. Distro and OS developers have done all the work for you in the ISO files they release.

wiak

Post by wiak »

Clarity wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:17 pm

We can guide you to a smooth sailing.

If @Gnimmelf is having trouble with normal frugal installation and finds Clarity alternative Ventoy mechanism a way to solve the issue and doesn't find it 'spam' then I don't see how anyone here can consider it spam either.

You find all sorts of repeated posts in the forum - especially matters concerning different people's favourite boot mechanisms, and even more specifically repeat after repeat of how to edit or merge sfs files and so on for Puppy Linux more generally. Those of us who monitor and read most posts recognise that very little is 'new' and even old forum members only read what interests them or is useful at the time they are reading. If Grimmelf succeeds booting any KL distro via Ventoy when he couldn't get normal frugal install configured on many attempts then that is all that is important to me. It is indeed also true that tons of hours were put into developing the underlying FirstRib initrd such that Ventoy would work well with it - what was the point of doing that if no-one ends up using Ventoy?!; the work was put in for exactly that need.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

Gnimmelf wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:56 pm

gave up folks - sorry to waste your time - this was just to difficult for me - will have to wait until something easier comes up - will stick with F96 for now.

Well, I have to say, it defeats me how you manage to boot F96 when you can't also manage to boot most all KL distros; the process is almost identical except that KL even provides you with the exact correct grub stanza to use. I guess you just write a hybrid bootable F96 usb, but most all KL distros are iso hybrids too as far as I know (though haven't myself ever booted them via writing direct to usb flash stick; is there some issue there I don't know of @rockedge).

You kindly say "sorry to waste your time", but maybe I'm just tired cos lots of hard work altogether on various matters here just now, but...

It is the case @Gnimmelf that we did take the time to ask you to submit your working menu.lst (or grub.cfg) so that we could simply send you back one that would boot KL distro. You never did so I consider this thread was a total waste of time and valuable effort. If you post and you get replies and request for some such simple information I really do wish you would be considerate enough to at least post that information if only to help others rather than yourself. Personally I do not have any problems booting any distro on this forum so in that sense have no need to waste time posting anything on this forum at all - but we are here to provide something free to use and with free support. Only thing I'd expect was report/feedback/info requested during our attempt to help. Quite annoying all this actually.

What I would say is that open source free provision would cease to exist if people asked for help and then didn't provide what they were asked for; it wasn't a lot asked for and if no good thereafter, well yes it would be fine to give up; sometimes we have to.

Anyway, I think most of us that 'tried' to offer advice and help do know that it would have been pretty easy to get your computer to successfully boot; very rarely that isn't true and usually for similar reasons that the person seeking help backed down or just chose to move on. C'est la vie. Slik er livet. etc
Certainly I myself would not bother to try and help further since you clearly don't care one way or the other anyway, which is fine. Plenty good distros out there and I recommend many of them - some perhaps easier to understand and boot, but I don't myself know of any easier than KL (and true also that Ventoy method of booting suggested by Clarity is trivially easy to do for most KL distro usage - I haven't checked it with KLV_Spectr tho). EDIT: So you downloaded Ventoy; did that boot the KL distro for you is the relevant piece of information missing.

If... it had happened, as it can, that your computer turned out to be actually quite difficult to boot (which seems unlikely since you say F96 boots fine on it) then that would have been a very useful test case for us that could later benefit others. However... you think it is just free advice for your benefit alone apparently, which it isn't.

I'm not so kind maybe as others, but I'm not asking for apologies or to make anyone 'guilty' or feel 'stupid' as you've talked of in other posts. But at the same time you have now involved two threads in this matter but actually not ever provided much of the information or tried the suggestions (at least not been any useful reports on actual trials that I can see) - now that is nothing other than a real waste of time. I enjoy new KL users - the more the merry and the better effect on our progress and development, but this kind of 'kindly' stuff is an exception, which is frankly painful to put up with (which is not my nature).

In general, I am happy to help people who are very inexperienced with Linux - I understand their problems, so I can be very patient and will often go out of my way to find a way to get their system booting, and that usually works. But reading your responses and reports - well, why bother asking if that lack of asked for information is a habit you have.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

ally

Post by ally »

he's just too much! made my day

:lol:

wiak

Post by wiak »

ally wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:02 am

he's just too much! made my day

:lol:

What has your presence/post here got to do with KL development and usage ally. You a wee bit of a stalker I think hmmm? Bit silly, but never mind; whatever turns you on.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

It remains the case that, despite unhappy grumpy wee stalkers, if you are going to ask for help here, please do not do so if you are not going to then provide your half of the solution (being information and reports regarding the configurations you have tried). Otherwise, why post for help at all if you aren't even willing to finish trying what is suggested or posting the results. Ridiculous. And stay off this thread and section if your mind is so bitter you feel the need to stalk. Take your vengeance elsewhere for gods sake. Really daft!!! :lol: :twisted:
Thread closed as solution no longer requested and creepy wee vultures looking for food scraps because not capable of contributing anything useful but very poor attempts at mockery. Dumb as. P. O.

Attachments
creepy_stalker.jpg
creepy_stalker.jpg (87.66 KiB) Viewed 12385 times

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

Well, maybe not quite closed afterall.

Gnimmelf wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:36 pm

i have the download now :thumbup:

Let's hope that works for you. If not, up to you if you report how you arranged things and boot reports/screen images/photo of failed boot messages - but that's what would be the appreciated approach. If Ventoy doesn't work for you, I certainly cannot myself help further - Ventoy either works or you've configured it wrongly or you have a major issue that would require sufficient boot error reports to help anyone willing to try and debug the issue.

Search results suggest that Linux generally works fine with Lenova Ideapads though:

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Gnimmelf

Post by Gnimmelf »

wiak wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:21 am
Gnimmelf wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:56 pm

Well, I have to say, it defeats me how you manage to boot F96 when you can't also manage to boot most all KL distros; the process is almost identical except that KL even provides you with the exact correct grub stanza to use. I guess you just write a hybrid bootable F96 usb, but most all KL distros are iso hybrids too as far as I know (though haven't myself ever booted them via writing direct to usb flash stick; is there some issue there I don't know of @rockedge).

You kindly say "sorry to waste your time", but maybe I'm just tired cos lots of hard work altogether on various matters here just now, but...

It is the case @Gnimmelf that we did take the time to ask you to submit your working menu.lst (or grub.cfg) so that we could simply send you back one that would boot KL distro. You never did so I consider this thread was a total waste of time and valuable effort. If you post and you get replies and request for some such simple information I really do wish you would be considerate enough to at least post that information if only to help others rather than yourself. Personally I do not have any problems booting any distro on this forum so in that sense have no need to waste time posting anything on this forum at all - but we are here to provide something free to use and with free support. Only thing I'd expect was report/feedback/info requested during our attempt to help. Quite annoying all this actually.

What I would say is that open source free provision would cease to exist if people asked for help and then didn't provide what they were asked for; it wasn't a lot asked for and if no good thereafter, well yes it would be fine to give up; sometimes we have to.

Anyway, I think most of us that 'tried' to offer advice and help do know that it would have been pretty easy to get your computer to successfully boot; very rarely that isn't true and usually for similar reasons that the person seeking help backed down or just chose to move on. C'est la vie. Slik er livet. etc
Certainly I myself would not bother to try and help further since you clearly don't care one way or the other anyway, which is fine. Plenty good distros out there and I recommend many of them - some perhaps easier to understand and boot, but I don't myself know of any easier than KL (and true also that Ventoy method of booting suggested by Clarity is trivially easy to do for most KL distro usage - I haven't checked it with KLV_Spectr tho). EDIT: So you downloaded Ventoy; did that boot the KL distro for you is the relevant piece of information missing.

If... it had happened, as it can, that your computer turned out to be actually quite difficult to boot (which seems unlikely since you say F96 boots fine on it) then that would have been a very useful test case for us that could later benefit others. However... you think it is just free advice for your benefit alone apparently, which it isn't.

I'm not so kind maybe as others, but I'm not asking for apologies or to make anyone 'guilty' or feel 'stupid' as you've talked of in other posts. But at the same time you have now involved two threads in this matter but actually not ever provided much of the information or tried the suggestions (at least not been any useful reports on actual trials that I can see) - now that is nothing other than a real waste of time. I enjoy new KL users - the more the merry and the better effect on our progress and development, but this kind of 'kindly' stuff is an exception, which is frankly painful to put up with (which is not my nature).

In general, I am happy to help people who are very inexperienced with Linux - I understand their problems, so I can be very patient and will often go out of my way to find a way to get their system booting, and that usually works. But reading your responses and reports - well, why bother asking if that lack of asked for information is a habit you have.

Is this the way of this forum? is this how you meet someone who has a hard time trying to figure out stuff? i realy tried, but found i wasnt clever enough! for that im sorry! but i gess i was a long time ago you where a newbie...... im a rather kind person, and i realy dont deserve the rant above here! although i understand youre frustration!

that said i offer peace - i tried all of the sugested copying af stanzas and i felt quite stupid, so thats why i dint felt like to waste more of your time...... i will here after, try to poste my menu.list to try to meet your desire to help - please go gentle and kind! you might not know who is sitting behind the screen.......

kindly Gnimmelf

Gnimmelf

Post by Gnimmelf »

#splashimage=/splash.xpm
timeout 10
default 0

# Frugal installed Puppy

title KLV-Spectr
find --set-root uuid () B058-F511
kernel /KLV-Spectr/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=UUID=B058-F511=/KLV-Spectr w_changes=RAM2
initrd /KLV-Spectr/initrd.gz

# Full installed Linux

title Linux KLV-Spectr (sda1/KLV-Spectr)
kernel /KLV-Spectr/vmlinuz root=UUID=B058-F511 ro
# root=/dev/sda1

errorcheck off
errorcheck on

# Windows
errorcheck off
chainloader /bootmgr
chainloader /ntldr
chainloader /io.sys
errorcheck on

# Advanced Menu
title Advanced menu
commandline
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
above here is my menu.list - i formated a usb with fat32 - created a new diretory named KLV-Spectr - and i copy the contents of the KLV-Spectr iso into that directory - then i ran the grub4 installer - and copied the stanza from the /mnt/sda1/KLV-Spectr/grub_config.txt after hitting the wd_grub_config - as im able to understand, i did what i was supposed to do? sadly the iso still doesnt boot. the grub4 doesnt even apear at laptop startup. i would have if i installed F96 on the usb stick.......?

kindly Gnimmelf

Gnimmelf

Post by Gnimmelf »

Clarity wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:03 pm

Great. This script will create your USB for you. It is simple to use. You are using F96CE so

1. using ROX file-manager, double-click the downloaded file and a PUP utility will open to expand the file into a folder.

2. Note the folder it shows where the output will be saved and allow the utility to expand it there.

3. open that folder the utility place the output. You will see files in the Ventoy folder (example a README, VentoyGUI...).

4. Right-click an open area in that ROX window where the files are (do not right-click any file, right click any where there is no file in that ROX window)

5. Scroll down to Window>Terminal Here and a terminal will open for typing

6. type "./VentoyGUI.x86_64" then hit the enter key

7. I think you'll know what to do next as it will be apparent (MAKE SURE!!! You choose your USB!!!)Setup your USB.jpg

Your bootable USB has been created for you, by you.

Now, I want you to mount that USB and click the Ventoy partition to open in ROX
create a folder in the ROX window named 'BOOTISOS'

Lastly, I want you to

• copy the KL ISO file you have into the /BOOTISOS folder on the USB.

• Copy the ISO file, intact. You are to do nothing to it or its internals. Just copy the ISO file to the folder.

(You will keep ALL of your forum distros in this folder on this USB, as you go into your future)

Your USB is, now, a runable KL. To use, merely reboot your PC using the USB, click the KL it shows and go ... it will look like any normal distro you have every used booting to the KL desktop. Hit the enter key allowing it to boot to desktop.

ANY issues, report back here and any one of us will help you

i made the ventoy usb and im able to boot f96-ce trough it - but for now, it didnt boot the klv-spectre - black boot screen says fail and returns to ventoy boot screen? maybe its my laptop having trouble bootin the klv distroes?

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

if you are still working with a non ventoy usb, posting your working F96 menu.lst would help. Also, if you do not see grub4dos, please report what you see instead. this is more likely a problem with your usb formatting instead of the iso, so a screenshot of gparted showing the disk would be nice.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hey @Gnimmelf Hooray! We have launch! EVERYTING from this point forward is going to get easier and easier with no need to change boot stanzas, or anything to get to desktop of the ISO files you choose. More comfort and more options in use will arise.

OK, this sometimes will happen. I have a failsafe that I want you to use. It will boot things sometimes when a Ventoy boot fails. You will continue to boot ISO files. The failsafe merely adds a dimension that you find easy too.

Let's do this in 2 steps

1. Add another KL ISO file of your choice to the BOOTISOS folder. Try booting that added ISO from the list.

2. I want you to add a failsafe to the BOOTISOS folder

ADD another KL
There are 8 different KLs in this KL section of the forum. Choose any other(s) and download your choice(s) to the BOOTISOS folder. Boot and report your findings

FAILSAFE
The failsafe ISO (as I am calling it) is an ISO that I have found will boot all WoofCE PUPs and forum DOGs distros that struggle in Ventoy. AND, this failsafe works with all other WoofCE PUPs built and distributed across the forum.

The failsafe is here:

Place that ISO into the bootisos folder as well. I will give instructions on it after you have a little more success with booting the other ISOs.

BTW: what is the size of your USB? Mine is 64GB and I have many-many ISO files that I have the liberty of booting to desktop use.

P.S. I also want you to add a recent Ubuntu and/or Debian ISO file to your USB. I am confident that no matter what that ISO will boot as well on your laptop

Last edited by Clarity on Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gnimmelf

Post by Gnimmelf »

williwaw wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:00 pm

if you are still working with a non ventoy usb, posting your working F96 menu.lst would help. Also, if you do not see grub4dos, please report what you see instead. this is more likely a problem with your usb formatting instead of the iso, so a screenshot of gparted showing the disk would be nice.

here is grub atched as screenshot and under here is the menu.list

#splashimage=/splash.xpm
timeout 10
default 0

# Frugal installed Puppy

title KLV-Spectr
kernel /KLV-Spectr/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=UUID=B058-F511=/KLV-Spectr w_changes=RAM2

# Full installed Linux

title Linux KLV-Spectr (sda1/KLV-Spectr)
kernel /KLV-Spectr/vmlinuz root=UUID=B058-F511 ro
# root=/dev/sda1

errorcheck off
errorcheck on

# Windows
errorcheck off
chainloader /bootmgr
chainloader /ntldr
chainloader /io.sys
errorcheck on

# Advanced Menu
title Advanced menu
commandline

Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (39.7 KiB) Viewed 12298 times
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Remember this: An ISO is a running distro in a package. There is no need to change anything to get to the desktop: No opening it, no extractions of files, no decisons on storage, none of that is needed going forward.

If anyone chooses, they can use the traditional methods of extraction, placement, stanza adjustment and the many thing they can do.

All we are doing here, @Gnimmelf is using the ISO to do what its primary intent is; namely to boot the distro/OS to desktop for productive use.

The tools we are using allow this.

I think you are seeing that.

P.S. Here is the one forum distro that started it all for me: @fatdog. It has its own forum thread, similar to this KL forum thread. Its current ISO is here. Its also one of the forum's offering which I found boots from every tool I've used.

Return to “How-To”