new f_plug coming - small additions

Wayland Sway compositor plus pipewire

Moderator: Forum moderators

wiak

new f_plug coming - small additions

Post by wiak »

I'll be releasing new f_plug soon that includes some of the improvements documented above, so not a major change (same main build script otherwise). Currently just making a KL_multi build so I can experiment in one of the instances till ready to publish new parts. I may or may not add a few extras that need compiled first - if so will take a bit longer so maybe that will come in later release. I'm using KLV-Swayland all the time now; I do find it very efficient with both autotiling and manual tiling capability and can drag tiles around into other tiled arrangements as well as toggle them floating or not. Hard to complain about such flexibility and functionality.

Making the KL_multi, I'll remind you, is simple thing to do:

I just made empty folder /KL_frugals or whatever you want to call it and inside there made empty KL-Swayland directory inside there.

I put the KLbuild_Void_wayland_swayBASE.sh script into /KL_frugals/KL-Swayland, made it executable and run it to complete main build as usual.

Code: Select all

./KLbuild_Void_wayland_swayBASE.sh

Once the build was complete, I downloaded wd_convert2multi from the forum and put it into /KL_frugals folder.
Then I renamed KL-Swayland to KL-Swayland.MKL (I could have saved that step by using that MKL extension in the original naming...).
And finally, from terminal at /KL_frugals location, ran the command:

Code: Select all

./wd_convert2multi 20

which in seconds completed the construction of 20 instances, each with the correct grub_config.txt stanzas automatically created inside their respective instance folders.

Then just boot with whichever one you want and it will have its own upper_changes folder. The multi-instances are better than sliced bread and daft not to always use them really since tons of gain with no pain.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: new f_plug coming - small additions

Post by rockedge »

@wiak I suddenly see KL-multi in a new light. One of the dev's at ZoneMinder uses PROXMOX to clone system instances. Which in the long run is actually in principle the same thing KL-multi can do but KL-multi is far more simple and extremely light weight.

I am using it regularly (the instances) to play around with KLV-Swayland and continue polishing KLV-Spectr. Right now have many instances of KLV-Airedale-RT and KLV-Airedale-sr6 (kernel 6.5.7) going and others that can be experimented on and completely destroyed with experimentation and......no worries just start the next when one is blown up.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

... I just made empty folder /KL_frugals or whatever you want to call it and inside there made empty KL-Swayland directory inside there.

I put the KLbuild_Void_wayland_swayBASE.sh script into /KL_frugals/KL-Swayland ...

I think this folder arrangement might be a good addition in your base ISO. Could provide a consistent approach for member use while also making is simple should debug need arise.

And, any consideration to have SAMBA included makes it easy for accessing needed files that would be generated on this running distro...if possible.

Just ideas.

wiak

Post by wiak »

Clarity wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:30 pm

... I just made empty folder /KL_frugals or whatever you want to call it and inside there made empty KL-Swayland directory inside there.

I put the KLbuild_Void_wayland_swayBASE.sh script into /KL_frugals/KL-Swayland ...

I think this folder arrangement might be a good addition in your base ISO. Could provide a consistent approach for member use while also making is simple should debug need arise.

And, any consideration to have SAMBA included makes it easy for accessing needed files that would be generated on this running distro...if possible.

Yes, any released isos would best be put in subdir.MKL of subdir arrangement with wd_convert2multi script being included in first of these subdirs. Then wd_multi_instance install becomes trivial to complete. Definitely worth having that since no resource penalty at all except around 2000bytes per instance desired - i.e. nothing really.

Sorry, since I don't use Windows machines nor use samba I know nothing about setting it up anymore. That kind of extension would required someone else to do it and provide the extra build plugin information for me to include it and thus for it to end up in KLV-Swayland iso. Since the likes of @rockedge do include it in some of their KL distro builds they could clearly do so for KLV-Swayland, but unless it is provided as exact add-to-f_plug code, it won't appear in any iso I produce - it is a definite case of 'if you want it, then you have to do it'. Same goes for a lot of things - I have my own priorities and large todo list so I just put out there the build system and some base distros that others have the time to add to. I intend concentrating on firstribit (ex-weedogit) improvement and re-release since overall I see that, and KL_frugal2install (as well as multi-instance builds) the most important core development, aside from the main buildscript and all relying on FR initrd of course; the rest is just apps/facilities/and-polish, which overall I leave for others to do should they desire it. Life is too short already and personally I just want to provide an easy to use flexible build script system, but I'm not at all trying to produce ready-for-use completed isos - hence my irregular releases in that format. ;-)

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

This is just a note on my samba use. It probably mimics other developers/users who run/test in QEMU.

With samba n the Host, the VM, OOTB, can get or move files between it and the host with no software and no effort beyond a simple mount. This ability to move files with the host has much value particularyly when I want to preserve messages, screens, or get startup file from the host.

This is not a request of you. @wiak, rather is just a report of use value. I am sure one of the KL developers will create and share the plug for KLs.

AGain, this is just one of many use cases I use samba for. For what I do in testing KLs, this has been a valued benefit.

Just a note, and THANKS for what you continue to help us with your endeavors. We continue to follow you into the future.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Once KLV-Spectr is rounded out and polished (enough) I'll look at adding the SAMBA components to KLV-Swayland at the PLUG level.

Return to “KLV-Swayland”