Midori Browser with Gecko

Moderator: Forum moderators

josejp2424

Re: Midori Browser with Gecko

Post by josejp2424 »

HerrBert wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:48 pm

Downloaded midori-11.0.0_amd64.pet and turned its opt/ directory into a sfs.
Aside from some minor errors when started from terminal (see below) it seems to work very well.

Installing german language changes appearance/branding to firefox and only partly translates dialogs, so ATM it is not recommended to switch gui to another language, i guess...

Errors may or may not be related to a customized s15pup64_22.12+3

Code: Select all

Crash Annotation GraphicsCriticalError: |[0][GFX1-]: vaapitest: ERROR (t=0.460351) [GFX1-]: vaapitest: ERROR
Crash Annotation GraphicsCriticalError: |[0][GFX1-]: vaapitest: ERROR (t=0.460351) |[1][GFX1-]: vaapitest: VA-API test failed: libva-drm.so.2 is missing.
 (t=0.460406) [GFX1-]: vaapitest: VA-API test failed: libva-drm.so.2 is missing.

console.error: ({})
console.error: "Workspace button not found"

Thank you for a Puppy_ready "click_and_run" browser alternative...

there is an error with the locals.
for the next version it will be fixed.
thanks for the tests on midori , @HerrBert

HerrBert

Post by HerrBert »

Announcement for Midori 11.1.0

Approximately 11 days ago we launched Midori version 11, a version that marks a milestone in the development of Midori, which has always stood out for its lightness, speed security and respect for user privacy. Today 11 days after the publication we released Midori 11.1 with novelties that impact all our users and without a doubt it allows us to achieve one more degree of stability and functionality for all.
News
News General

Astiango search engine as a predetermined search engine is stated
Support multi-language.
Fix of images and iconographia.
32bit architecture support for GNU/Linux & Microsoft Windows operating systems.
Improvement of multimedia files, improvements in video reproduction.
Improvements in the synchronization of tabs, history, markers, passwords etc with the Mozilla Account service.

News for GNU/Linux

Thanks to Loc-OS we have deployed our own repository for debian/ubuntu distributions, in the Midori aid section in Spanish you can find the instructions add the repo and to update and install Midori from the repository. We have enabled the 32 -bit support for Deb, Ubuntu, MINT and this whole family distributions.
Puppy Linux He is the best friend of our Armadillo lizard (animal that represents Midori’s pet), and for him we have also extended the 32bit support, as well as offering an official package for the distribution of the puppy.

Looks good so far. NLS not perfect yet, but after 11 days of version 11 release it is quite awesome to have language support.

One suggestion, if i may:
@josejp2424 please update link in first post.

One more thing would be to mention that there is a 32bit download link different from the pets download site (which is a little confusing, though 32bit is not downloadable as pet).
I didn't try the 32bit binary download, but if it is offered, i think it may be of interest for some other puppy users.

Attachments
midori-11.1.0.jpg
midori-11.1.0.jpg (55.34 KiB) Viewed 9801 times
ponchale

Post by ponchale »

HerrBert wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:17 pm

Announcement for Midori 11.1.0

Approximately 11 days ago we launched Midori version 11, a version that marks a milestone in the development of Midori, which has always stood out for its lightness, speed security and respect for user privacy. Today 11 days after the publication we released Midori 11.1 with novelties that impact all our users and without a doubt it allows us to achieve one more degree of stability and functionality for all.
News
News General

Astiango search engine as a predetermined search engine is stated
Support multi-language.
Fix of images and iconographia.
32bit architecture support for GNU/Linux & Microsoft Windows operating systems.
Improvement of multimedia files, improvements in video reproduction.
Improvements in the synchronization of tabs, history, markers, passwords etc with the Mozilla Account service.

News for GNU/Linux

Thanks to Loc-OS we have deployed our own repository for debian/ubuntu distributions, in the Midori aid section in Spanish you can find the instructions add the repo and to update and install Midori from the repository. We have enabled the 32 -bit support for Deb, Ubuntu, MINT and this whole family distributions.
Puppy Linux He is the best friend of our Armadillo lizard (animal that represents Midori’s pet), and for him we have also extended the 32bit support, as well as offering an official package for the distribution of the puppy.

Looks good so far. NLS not perfect yet, but after 11 days of version 11 release it is quite awesome to have language support.

One suggestion, if i may:
@josejp2424 please update link in first post.

One more thing would be to mention that there is a 32bit download link different from the pets download site (which is a little confusing, though 32bit is not downloadable as pet).
I didn't try the 32bit binary download, but if it is offered, i think it may be of interest for some other puppy users.

We have created a space theme for Puppy, each new version will be published here, We hope to continue improving the user experience and we must change the design a little to offer the distros we are thinking about and working on.

https://astian.org/community/midori-bro ... -32-64bit/

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

deleted

Last edited by pp4mnklinux on Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
ljlj

Re: Midori Browser with Gecko-opera mini browser

Post by ljlj »

greetings!
midori is very good.
please, can you convert
opera mini apk to deb!
thanks

ponchale

Re: Midori Browser with Gecko-opera mini browser

Post by ponchale »

ljlj wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:34 pm

greetings!
midori is very good.
please, can you convert
opera mini apk to deb!
thanks

Friend, I would like to understand your message, but I don't know if you ask the Midori team, or I don't know what you want to say or do.

ljlj

Post by ljlj »

mister ponchale
thank you
---------------
midori use 100% of wifi,
opera mini only 10%!
you converted midori to
pet,exe and apk file...
can you convert opera mini apk
to deb file?
thank you

ponchale

Post by ponchale »

ljlj wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:22 am

mister ponchale
thank you
---------------
midori use 100% of wifi,
opera mini only 10%!
you converted midori to
pet,exe and apk file...
can you convert opera mini apk
to deb file?
thank you

Friend, I am not allowed that, due to the difference in license, I am part of Midori that can be distributed, however Opera is not, as it is not free software, they could sue me and I think it is not possible, I recommend using Waydroid and downloading Aurora Store

Duprate

Post by Duprate »

Hello Ponchale!
Using the new Midori, you notice some differences compared to Firefox. However in size, the current Midori based on version 115 is as big or bigger than Firefox version 120. Some people thought that Midori would be small.....
I found the program very fast opening and running streaming sites, better than the original Firefox! I'm still going to test it on an older PC to check the speed.
I would like to suggest that they maintain version parity with Fifefox releases.
So far, it was a good job from your team! I need to get to know the new Midori a little more...... :thumbup2:

Attachments
midori.jpg
midori.jpg (131.14 KiB) Viewed 9451 times
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Using Midori 10.0.2 I have sound OK but version 10.0.4 thru to the latest 11.1 do not produce sound (using Fossa 9.5)
Am I forced to use pulse audio? (Prefer to stay with Alsa)

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

greengeek wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:33 am

Using Midori 10.0.2 I have sound OK but version 10.0.4 thru to the latest 11.1 do not produce sound (using Fossa 9.5)

Running with "apulse" (by OscarTalks) works for me to have sound, e.g. apulse /root/Downloads/midori/midori (without needing pulseaudio).
Download .pet here: https://www.smokey01.com/OscarTalks

ponchale

Post by ponchale »

greengeek wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:33 am

I will have to switch to that system and try, but before that I recommend the latest update, 11.1.2

HerrBert

Post by HerrBert »

Tried to download latest Midori-11.1.2, but the links seem to be messed up (64bit button points to i686.tar.bz2)

Attachments
quickshot-231129-162152.jpg
quickshot-231129-162152.jpg (35.46 KiB) Viewed 9284 times
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

fredx181 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:31 am

Running with "apulse" (by OscarTalks) works for me to have sound, e.g. apulse /root/Downloads/midori/midori (without needing pulseaudio).
Download .pet here: https://www.smokey01.com/OscarTalks

Thanks. Just confirming that this solution fixed my issues and works with all of the versions 10.0.4, 10.1.0 and 11.1.0.

In my case my syntax is:
#apulse midori

So I will remake my midori pet to include apulse and a modified desktop file.

Cheers!!

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

I just want to mention something about Midori that I really like:

I usually boot my Puppies in default "generic" mode without any savefile or savefolder - so that I know each session is fresh and unaffected by previous runs. The down side is that it takes more time to get online because nothing is pre-programmed.

With any other browser this "fresh" boot means that there is a very long delay in the browser startup as it builds it's profile.

However Midori is much much quicker in building it's first run profile. This is a major plus for me. Really enjoying Midori !!

ponchale

Post by ponchale »

HerrBert wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:36 pm

Tried to download latest Midori-11.1.2, but the links seem to be messed up (64bit button points to i686.tar.bz2)

fix problem, sorry

ponchale

Post by ponchale »

I believe that I do not violate Puppy's policies by leaving this link https://astian.org/midori-browser/donate-to-midori/ and I want you to read the why here https://astian.org/community/midori-bro ... ri-please/

I thank you in advance for the collaboration and solidarity.

Thank you.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@ponchale
Running latest v11.1.2, trying to search with the default search engine (GOastian) it gives a 'Not Found" error:
edit: josejp2424 said that it's already reported earlier...

2023-12-03_18-09-29.png
2023-12-03_18-09-29.png (21.71 KiB) Viewed 9084 times

Easy enough to search with DuckDuckGo or Google though, just reporting...
Btw, wouldn't it be nice to have DuckDuckGo as default ? (just like earlier Midori versions had)

josejp2424

Re: Midori 11.1.3

Post by josejp2424 »

ponchale

Post by ponchale »

fredx181 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:17 pm

@ponchale
Running latest v11.1.2, trying to search with the default search engine (GOastian) it gives a 'Not Found" error:
edit: josejp2424 said that it's already reported earlier...
2023-12-03_18-09-29.png
Easy enough to search with DuckDuckGo or Google though, just reporting...
Btw, wouldn't it be nice to have DuckDuckGo as default ? (just like earlier Midori versions had)

We are working to improve our search engine, it is down and we regret the inconvenience.

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

ponchale wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:26 pm

I believe that I do not violate Puppy's policies by leaving this link https://astian.org/midori-browser/donate-to-midori/ and I want you to read the why here https://astian.org/community/midori-bro ... ri-please/

Thank you.

Puppy Linux generally follows a donation-based model to support its development and maintenance. They encourage users to contribute voluntarily but do not enforce mandatory payments for the software.

So, in my oppinion, never cross this "small line" between "voluntary contribution" & "mandatory payment"

😉, cheers.

ponchale

Post by ponchale »

pp4mnklinux wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:09 am
ponchale wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:26 pm

Thank you.

Puppy Linux generally follows a donation-based model to support its development and maintenance. They encourage users to contribute voluntarily but do not enforce mandatory payments for the software.

So, in my oppinion, never cross this "small line" between "voluntary contribution" & "mandatory payment"

😉, cheers.

To this day, at the moment your comments and criticisms are useless and generally create complete misinformation where the hell do I say that it is a mandatory payment? If I am expressly and literally requesting help in the form of donations for Midori, man, you honestly do not make a worthy contribution, which allows us to better either as a product, or as a person, or in any way, what productive and intrinsic value can your words and comments? simply 0. But I appreciate your comment.

Whether you are an older adult or a young person, I give you some advice: Make constructive criticism that allows other people to improve what they are doing, if you do not want to make constructive criticism, keep silent and save yourself the hate in your words.

PS: I don't need your wishes for cheers, use that cheers, you will need it because of so much poison you have in your life and thoughts.

Thank you.

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

Keep it civil please...thanks!
Wiz

Signature available upon request

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Wiz57 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:32 pm

Keep it civil please...thanks!
Wiz

Let's keep it civil.... here, at this forum :)

I suppose, all of us agree that maintaining a civil atmosphere in a forum is essential for fostering healthy and productive discussions. I think admins and moderators agree with me that this attitude encourages and open dialogue and promotes open comunication appart of encourages individual users of puppy linux to express their oppinions without fear of hostility (remember this was one of the ideas that make puppy linux goes down at distrowach list of linux distros) and leads to more meaningful and constructive discusions.

We must bear in mind if you should delete this @ponchale ’s comment or not. People who really understand English, for sure will understand the message I wrote...

😉, cheers.

...and they will be sure there is no attack or something similar into it, and I used the word “attack” becouse you must consider a civil forum as a medium to promote open comunication and encourages individuals to express their oppinions without fear of hostility because this attitude leads to more meaningful and constructive discusion (1)

This answer doesn’t contribute to create a respecful atmosphere/environment where participants treat each other with courtesy and consideration and THIS IS A MUST in a forum (I think puppy linux forum doesn’t want to change itself into forocoches forum, haha) because we should build a sense of community among forum members.

For sure every user of puppylinux forum is more likely to share their knowledge and experiences freely if he/she is sure this is going to contribute to a rich exchange of information and it will promote learning among participants. Do you want people to participate or do you want people to hide their knowledge ? Think about this, plz, because when disccussions remain civil, participants are more likely to engage in constructive problem-solving (I want to mention here my “problem” with my mouse, that after 7 moths was solved with @MochiMoppel orientations viewtopic.php?t=8699 but with a lot of users previous ideas and that probes that Civility collaboration is essential for building a positive and inclusive online community. It fosters a sense of belonging among members and encourages them to actively participate at puppy forum, and I suppose every puppy user agree with me, don’t you?

Now it’s time to turn onto participation. How many users has this forum got? BUT … how many of them are active??? That is another reason for a Civil forum. It is more likely to attract and retain participants. People are more willing to engage in discussions when they feel that their contributions will be respected and valued than when not and, for sure, all of us want this forum to be sustainable over the long term and members must be comfortable to be more likely to stick around when they feel puppylinux forum is welcoming and respectful place to share ideas.

I talked about members of this forum. Do you think this sort of comments (@ponchale wrote 18 post and all of them to promote HIS midori browser) is going to attract new members??? Positive interactions encourage newcomers to join, contribute and become active members of the community (please, take a look to the list of members of this forum and think about how many members have got 10 posts or less).

This @ponchale post/answer/attack NEVER promotes a sense of accountability among forum members. I think admins must delete it oR punish it in one form or another, because when users are aware that their actions, comments or words are subject to a certain level of community standars (far away of posting in an incorrect place (talk about browsers into hardware sectioN) , they are more like to think twice before engagin in a disruptive behaviour (That is the reason I gonna be civil at this forum answering @ponchale, but…. AT THIS FORUM ;) BECAUSE I consider this post as a personal attack and I think this is not the place to do this (in for a penny in for a pound is ponchale’s attitude haha) and admins must take care of this, because ponchale’s post doesn’t remain focused on the topic at hand rather than devolving into negativity @Wiz57 ) and it is important for the reputation of the forum.
Overall, fostering a civil forum creates a positive online environment that encourages healthy discourse, knowledge sharing, and community building. It sets the tone for a constructive and enjoyable experience for all participants.

You are a MAESTRO and this way you must be valued (1) https://pp4mnkwp.wordpress.com/maestro/

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

@pp4mnklinux
YOU were the one to instigate the negativity, despite your attempts to delete your remarks, they are THERE in the quotes from other
members! So, should I delete ponchale, because if you feel that way, I WILL DELETE YOU AS WELL! Nowhere did ponchale ask for any
mandatory monetary payment, they joined the forum to answer questions about the new Midori. YOU recently were pushing some email
service called "Bluemail"...on their website they offer paid services...what do you consider different from MIdori asking for VOLUNTARY
donations and Bluemail offering paid services in addition to the more limited free version? Perhaps the topic on Bluemail should be
deleted? Don't forget, Mozilla also asks for donations...do we now delete references to Firefox, Thunderbird, Seamonkey? :idea:
Wiz

Signature available upon request

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Yes, I agree with Wiz, @pp4mnklinux from the beginning your posts were full of distrust about the new Midori, what's wrong with you ?!

pp4mnklinux wrote:

@ponchale wrote 18 post and all of them to promote HIS midori browser

Very untrue, @ponchale for the most just answered questions and gave valuable info.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

ever notice the Donation menu link on this forums navigation bar?

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

rockedge wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:48 pm

ever notice the Donation menu link on this forums navigation bar?

For some reason that function has never worked for me - says "Not available from your country".

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

greengeek wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:36 pm

For some reason that function has never worked for me - says "Not available from your country".

Which country? This site has no restrictions though the donations run through PAYPAL. Are there any sanctions that prevent PAYPAL from processing?

Where do you first see the notification "Not available from your country"?

Maybe I can fix it.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

rockedge wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:55 pm

Where do you first see the notification "Not available from your country"?

From NZ. I will give it another go tonight and collect some info and a screenshot.

Return to “Browsers and Internet”