How to add UEFI boot to USB key?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

gilles

How to add UEFI boot to USB key?

Post by gilles »

Hello,
I have a frugal usb installation, fat32. Bionic 64 installed with Unetbootin (and Grub added, because it didn't boot on my old computer). The usb worked fine, booting in bios, with my old computer.

I've changed my computer, which is UEFI. I've disabled secure boot. My usb key doesn't boot.

I tried a new installation (same iso) using the usb installer in the puppy linux menu, then copied my pupsave to it. My usb is booting but without the pupsave I copied.

Is it possible to configure my old usb to boot in UEFI mode, without reinstalling everything?

Thank you

Geek3579

Re: add UEFI boot

Post by Geek3579 »

I'm sure others have better ideas, but just to open up the discussion:

1) If the old USB is still functional, the new computer's BIOS may be able to be adjusted to boot a Legacy OS, rather than the default UEFI. My computers/OSs are all set to UEFI for consistency, so I have never tried this.

2) You might be able to make a FRESH UEFI boot USB by using the Grub2-config.pet which can be downloaded from viewtopic.php?t=3360. This would produce a bootable USB without an OS - and you may need to set the boot flag using GParted. Then you could to copy the frugal files from the old USB to the FAT32 boot partition, if it were large enough. You would finally need to edit the grub.cfg file in the boot partition so it can find the new frugal installation.

3) You could install QEMU in Fossapup or similar and boot the original USB as a virtual machine. Instead of booting from a cdrom or HDD, use the following code for a legacy USB boot: -hdb /dev/sdx where x is the host drive letter of the original USB, eg sdc.

Short on detail, sorry, but its at least some options to consider.

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@gilles - setting legacy boot in bios is a good idea. Then you usually have to select boot device on bootup - HPs usually use F9, Acers usually F12, others - not sure. That should allow you to select your boot device.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

gilles wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:58 pm

... then copied my pupsave to it. My usb is booting but without the pupsave I copied

Since your USB drive is booting correctly under UEFI, you don't need to make any major changes.

Look in sdb1 for the grub.cfg file and post the entry that is booting Puppy. I expect that there is something wrong in it that is preventing your pupsave from being used.

gilles

Post by gilles »

Hello,
Finaly, I have done a fresh new UEFI frugal install, installing again everything ! Of course, it works fine.
Thank you

Return to “Beginners Help”