Build KL_Fedora Rawhide XFCE (or GNOME-Wayland)

Moderator: Forum moderators

wiak

Re: Build KL_Fedora Rawhide XFCE

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:13 pm

I am working in QEMU on a build and it boots in regular mode but upon shutdown there is a query message asking about saving or not. This message is not from our configurations and doesn't seem to work

You can change operation any way you like of course. I don't use same save2flash dialog shutdown routine most of you do since I prefer yad gui on desktop to occur at shutdown. That is what wd_save2flash is used for in my repo's 12KL sfs addon - it is for xfce installs. The way it works is that the standard /usr/bin/xfce4-session-logout is temporarily hijacked by a /usr/local/bin/xfce4-session-logout script (with /usr/local/bin being given higher precedence in the path to /usr/bin). That /usr/local/bin/xfce4-session-logout has the following content:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
if grep -q "w_changes=RAM2" /proc/cmdline || grep -q "w_changes1=RAM2" /proc/cmdline; then
  wd_save2flash
fi
exec /usr/bin/xfce4-session-logout

BUT THERE IS A MISTAKE I SHOULD FIX (that turns out to be an old 12KL sfs addon I've stored I think):

The script wd_save2flash ends with line: exec save2flash - that shouldn't have the exec in it I think since should end up back in /usr/local/bin/xfce4-session-logout for the final exec /usr/bin/xfce4-session-logout to correctly use official xfce4-session-logout at the end. I must have accidentally reverted to older 12KL sfs that still had the unwanted 'exec' in it (maybe). I'm going out again, but will think about that when I get home and test it. EDIT: No, I think the exec save2flash in wd_save2flash is in fact correct... once wd_save2flash completes the logic will return to the final exec /usr/bin/xfce4-session-logout, which is correct. I will double check later...

No xterm is needed for save2flash procedure itself, and not everyone prefers xterm (though you can install xterm and, as Soniya says use it to exec save2flash, but that's not what I want in my own wd_save2flash implementation).

If you want to avoid that /usr/local/bin/xfce4-session-logout coming into operation (and thus calling my script wd_save2flash, which provided yad Cancel or OK to save2flash gui) then you could rename /usr/local/bin/xfce4-session-logout since that would disable it being used. I use the same 12KL sfs in my KL_full2fr so not something I can conveniently change without wrecking my preferred shutdown approach (I believe your standard mechanism used dialog commandline save2flash message instead - I don't do use that).

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

wiak wrote:

If you want to avoid that /usr/local/bin/xfce4-session-logout coming into operation (and thus calling my script wd_save2flash, which provided yad Cancel or OK to save2flash gui) then you could rename /usr/local/bin/xfce4-session-logout since that would disable it being used. I use the same 12KL sfs in my KL_full2fr so not something I can conveniently change without wrecking my preferred shutdown approach (I believe your standard mechanism used dialog commandline save2flash message instead - I don't do use that).

This what I am going to do. I kept saying Ok and it seems to be working now as is. I think it had to do before with the fact the virtual HDD was not formatted why it bulked Both regular and RAM0, RAM2 modes are working as expected :geek:

I'll just use the yad version as well. I'm flexible. :thumbup:

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

i pay attention during the test it was revealed that save2flash requires ( xmessage xwininfo ) .maybe they just got lost somehow for me

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

I have an interesting question. I understand our KLF uses Wayland and Pipewire. How do I get Pipewire to work as root "or is it just not working for me"?

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I haven't really tried out pipewire yet and I will need to switch machines to one that has an audio device. This rack server I am using to build stuff on has minimal graphics and no audio card.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

About a logo, Not necessarily this one as it likely also violates someone's copyright. But you get the idea. We know who we are.

fedora dog.png
fedora dog.png (191.87 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

rockedge wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:21 am

I haven't really tried out pipewire yet and I will need to switch machines to one that has an audio device. This rack server I am using to build stuff on has minimal graphics and no audio card.

I don’t know if this was originally intended or for other reasons so that the sound from the “root” user does not work
solved after the comment #ConditionUser=!root in the files below: solves the problem.
---------------------------------------
After the update, I think again it will be necessary to comment them out.Or maybe there is a way to fix it permanently.

Line 3

/etc/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants/pipewire-pulse.socket

Line 17

/usr/lib/systemd/user/pipewire-pulse.service

-------------------------------------
Run:

systemctl --user start pipewire-pulse

restart modules

systemctl --user daemon-reload
Attachments
Снимок экрана_2023-08-12_03-46-10.png
Снимок экрана_2023-08-12_03-46-10.png (157.97 KiB) Viewed 1144 times

wiak

Post by wiak »

Sofiya wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:14 am

i pay attention during the test it was revealed that save2flash requires ( xmessage xwininfo ) .maybe they just got lost somehow for me

I'll check, maybe xmessage not included in fedora default build in which case I'll include it - very small addition.

I'm also taking wget 12KL sfs out of main build_firstrib_rootfs.sh now since it shouldn't be there since it is optional, and taking it out of main build script allows others to use their own modified 12KL sfs addon from own repos, which is better since alternative ways of arranging shutdown scripts and save2flash may well clash with each other and not therefore work together. Personally, I usually use gxmessage, and avoid xmessage and the likes of pupflash or whatever they call that - I also prefer look of gxmessage, but I don't write the save2flash script and xmessage is certainly often available in distros without needing installed specially I think.

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

wiak wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:51 am

I'll check, maybe xmessage not included in fedora default build in which case I'll include it - very small addition.

I'm also taking wget 12KL sfs out of main build_firstrib_rootfs.sh now since it shouldn't be there since it is optional, and taking it out of main build script allows others to use their own modified 12KL sfs addon from own repos, which is better since alternative ways of arranging shutdown scripts and save2flash may well clash with each other and not therefore work together. Personally, I usually use gxmessage, and avoid xmessage and the likes of pupflash or whatever they call that - I also prefer look of gxmessage, but I don't write the save2flash script and xmessage is certainly often available in distros without needing installed specially I think.

┌──[ root@rt ] [ 04:02:09 ]
├── ~
└> dnf install gxmessage 
Last metadata expiration check: 0:54:39 ago on Сб 12 авг 2023 03:07:50.
No match for argument: gxmessage
Error: Unable to find a match: gxmessage

wiak

Post by wiak »

Sofiya wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:03 am
wiak wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:51 am

┌──[ root@rt ] [ 04:02:09 ]
├── ~
└> dnf install gxmessage 
Last metadata expiration check: 0:54:39 ago on Сб 12 авг 2023 03:07:50.
No match for argument: gxmessage
Error: Unable to find a match: gxmessage

Okay, I'll look into how best to install gxmessage since not in Fedora Rawhide repo. I have a feeling I sometimes include it in 12KL. The program xmessage is different program but is not used in any save2flash script. Nor is xwininfo, so I don't know what you were referring to there. xmessage is availble from Fedora repo if you need it for something else but certainly isn't used at all in any of /usr/bin/snapmergepuppy, /usr/bin/save2flash, nor /usr/local/bin/snap-ex, all of which I include in my 12KL sfs addon. The only thing I'm thus checking is best gxmessage binary to include (probably will include in my own downloadable from firstrib repo 12KL sfs addon once I remake that to contain it.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

I found a package, I don't know if it's this or not.

Attachments
Снимок экрана_2023-08-12_04-24-25.png
Снимок экрана_2023-08-12_04-24-25.png (33.7 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
gxmessage-2.20.0-24.fc38.x86_64.rpm.false.gz
(71.46 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Last edited by Sofiya on Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

wiak

Post by wiak »

Sofiya wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:16 am

I found a package, I don't know if it's this or not.

That would probably work except have to check it doesn't install old lib versions in which case better to simply add suitable gxmessage binary to 12KL sfs addon, but I'll check out save2flash more carefully on my own build first.
Temporarily at least, I've also included simpler xmessage in the f_00 plug now, just in case anyone uses that somewhere - it isn't otherwise the best or essential, but smallish, and maybe useful since still officially supported in most all repos.

Main thing is to keep actual installs to the minimum and non-official packages in addon 12KL into /usr/local/bin usually. But have to remember if you are using different shutdown mechanisms you may well need to provide your own 12KL sfs addon alternatives since different methods may not always be compatible with each other (that's why I've now taken wget my 12KL variant out of main build script but included as an optional build step in post one instead).

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I had to find Rox the same way. It was in the repos for 38 but not 40+ Rawhide

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:20 am

I had to find Rox the same way. It was in the repos for 38 but not 40+ Rawhide

It's annoying gxmessage not in latest (Rawhide) repos though since from ldd command it has lots of dependencies in the form of libs which are likely on the system but maybe newer versions... Really important that older version doesn't override newer libs though. Current Linux Mint still supports gxmessage so I use official one from there in my Linux Mint install when I use KL_full2frugal arrangement with FR initrd. Have to watch that older libs issue if installing Rox from earlier repo too I'd say; I don't use Rox in my XFCE installs personally.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Somehow I got really quick using Rox. Most operations I do come natural now when I use Rox. Though Thunar is really good with FTP, samba and other network shares and I grew up on 2 panel Total Commander (Norton's Commander clone) so xfe and mc I like, I add mc in the build PLUG so I have a semi-desktop in a MS-DOS scheme of things and a powerful 2 panel file manager.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

I see that SAMBA is also installed here. Interestingly, it is installed by default ? :)

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

mikeslr wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:24 am

About a logo, Not necessarily this one as it likely also violates someone's copyright. But you get the idea. We know who we are. fedora dog.png

The KL (weedog) logo with a fedora would do the trick.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:33 am

Somehow I got really quick using Rox. Most operations I do come natural now when I use Rox. Though Thunar is really good with FTP, samba and other network shares and I grew up on 2 panel Total Commander (Norton's Commander clone) so xfe and mc I like, I add mc in the build PLUG so I have a semi-desktop in a MS-DOS scheme of things and a powerful 2 panel file manager.

Well, both gxmessage and Rox filer can clearly be considered alien packages from the point of view of Fedora Rawhide so not really important what distro they are taken from as long as they work... I'm going to quickly take versions of these from VanillaDpup 10 since most recent of that distro that includes Rox (not sure if it contains gxmessage binary yet) or alternatively could take from a Fossapup64 iso. I'll put them in 12KL sfs /usr/local/bin and see if they work immediately of if issues that ldd will reveal. Of course the likes of Rox no doubt would need gtk2 libs so up to the user/iso-builder to also install such missing libs that would not be included normally in a Fedora Rawhide build.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

The Rox-filer is a luxury and a test. I won't have it in the next build most likely and if gxmessage isn't part of Rawhide then we should use an alternative.

I am trying to keep KLF as cutting edge as I can for now!

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

@wiak
Please pack too.

Attachments
poorercputemp-0.2_1.x86_64.tar.xz
(11.26 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Снимок экрана_2023-08-12_05-49-43.png
Снимок экрана_2023-08-12_05-49-43.png (6.36 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
Last edited by Sofiya on Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:21 am

The Rox-filer is a luxury and a test. I won't have it in the next build most likely and if gxmessage isn't part of Rawhide then we should use an alternative.

I am trying to keep KLF as cutting edge as I can for now!

Well, the overall filesystem is the part without 12KL sfs addon - that contains only /usr/local hierarchy, and only special apps that are not in Fedora Rawhide repos anyway (mainly Forum stuff) so doesn't effect the cutting-edge nature of Rawhide in practice. I am experimenting with a slightly revised 12KL addon that includes gxmessage (out of Fossapup F96-CE); that works fine - I chose that one because it is older binary and oldest I'd want to use, but should therefore make 12KL sfs useful in distros back that far). I have also included most of roxfiler components from F96-CE. That in fact works straight away in KLF, except for a few icons the builder would need to accomodate (probably via additions too usr/share/pixmaps, which could later, once I know what is needed, be included in later 12KL sfs version).

Sofiya is correct that when logged in as normal user spot the shutdown save2flash fails to work because currently spot needs to enter password for sudo root permission, and that needs a terminal in the front. However, I do not consider it correct nor necessary to actually include a specific terminal for that purpose (e.g. xterm). Instead, my reasoning is normal users on a multi-user system should not have rights to save2flash by default anyway unless included in the wheel group (as spot is by default). To not need any particular terminal it is simply a matter of letting wheel group not need a password when doing sudo operations and that seems sensible anyway in the circumstances. To give them such no-password-required-for-sudo rights, it is simply a matter of (as root user) using the visudo command as I mentioned in an earlier post: viewtopic.php?p=95994#p95994

After giving spot that extra sudo no-password-required right you will find that shutdown save2flash (via wd_save2flash in 12KL addon) in fact does then work with no special foreground terminal required. I will therefore soonish change the f_00 plugin to automatically do that visudo alteration automatically such that all will work.

Uploading new 12KL sfs addon shortly. Will post back here once I've done that. You can then experiment with filemnt (using open app and making filemnt sfs or CD the default for sfs files and isos), which also uses gxmessage (which I am including in 12KL sfs). And also try out roxfiler (no symlink rox included so you need to do that yourself or run the command as 'roxfiler' - then you can test it out and feedback to me about the missing images - overall I expect rox to work though. In particular, once booted into Fedora with 12KL loaded, check the /usr/local/ hierarchy - you should find I have included the .config/rox-related directory in there and also in /usr/local/etc the xdg related files there should you need them to make rox work better (via copying or symlinking into the system in a way that doesn't corrupt it of course...

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

Sofiya wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:51 am

@wiak
Please pack too.

Okay, I'll include that. It does have desktop file under main /etc/xdg/autostart, but doubt it would work without effort if put in /usr/local/etc/xdg/autostart, well it might but short of time so will just put in /etc/xdg/autostart since not going to cause issues there anyway. The main binaries will be put under /usr/local/bin though. Thereafter you need to make your own CE variant to include more since I also don't want to disrupt the underlying main Fedora root-filesystem with alien components (/usr/local area is okay though).

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

Okay, you can now download the current experimental new 12KL sfs addon and try it out with KLF

wget -c https://gitlab.com/firstrib/firstrib/-/raw/master/latest/build_system/12KL_gtkdialogGTK3filemnt64.sfs

I will later modify the f_00 plug attached to first post to visudo no-passwd-required rights to user spot so shutdown wd_save2flash works as intended. In the meantime, as root user in terminal just run command:

visudo

and fix wheel group to not needing password per that post I made earlier:

viewtopic.php?p=95994#p95994

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

wiak wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:18 am

Okay, you can now download the current experimental new 12KL sfs addon and try it out with KLF

wget -c https://gitlab.com/firstrib/firstrib/-/raw/master/latest/build_system/12KL_gtkdialogGTK3filemnt64.sfs

I will later modify the f_00 plug attached to first post to visudo no-passwd-required rights to user spot so shutdown wd_save2flash works as intended. In the meantime, as root user in terminal just run command;

visudo

and fix wheel group to not needing password per that post I made earlier:

viewtopic.php?p=95994#p95994

I had to install wget to download it :)

Okay, I'll include wget in the f_00 build plug. I also now included tar. Sometimes busybox wget is enough, but not always.

I've also reconsidered best approach to tar.gz most such non-official alien binaries like poorertemp to take into account it is difficult to modify 12KL regularly, but builders always have their own special apps they want to include (tar.gz being better approach for that - though please use /usr/local/bin hierarchy for binaries rather than /usr/bin). So I will leave 12KL without that poorercpu stuff added but instead have optional addin section in the f_00 build plugin which simply untars it (I'll include copy of the tarred version in firstrib repo for those who choose to install that). For similar inclusions it is best to have you own repo and provide own f_00 plug file alternatives (for CE community edition releases) that will wget from it.

EDIT: making poorercputemp a numbered sfs instead - which can optionally be merged in to main build per the f_00_fedora_gui plugin contained comments. Unfortunately the program poorercputemp doesn't work for me on my system anyway - maybe a permissions error? I'll leave you all to sort that one out to your satisfaction and amend the sfs file if something ends needing changed about the program itself.

wiak

Post by wiak »

Whilst it is up to yourself, my general feeling, though up to yourself in any CE edition, is that it is better to use the somewhat minimal 12KL base but create a Community Edition (CE) via a second NNKL sfs addon. Remember higher numbered addon will take precedence. Much easier to maintain different variants via simple extra NNsfs addons.

As a quick example, I am using an extra tiny sfs 14poorercputemp to illustrate the simplicity of that (including the option of merging that additonal sfs into the main build via f_00_fedora_gui plugin. Please view the contents of that f_ plugin after I upload it (under quick test right now prior to me doing that). Using extra NNsfs is also a quick and useful maintenance methodology (until decided should be merged in to main 12KL) and also individuals can include optional wget lines to similar NNsfs files they store in their own repos. This makes it easy to create unique versions without stepping on each other's toes.

Will upload new f_00_fedora_gui build plug within about an hour once my test builds are all completed.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

I have attached the new f_00_fedora_gui build plugin to the first post.

It includes installing wget and tar and, optionally, including poorercputemp as either a numbered sfs addon (14poorer...) or merged in. The poorercputemp program doesn't work for me and by default, since unable to be tested by me and a non-Fedora binary executable anyway, it is by default commented out in the plugin. Users thus have the choice/option whether to include it or similar packages if they wish. Let me know in further testing if you find out why it might not be working (tho might simply not work on my particular computer). User spot (or any new user added to the 'wheel' group) can now use sudo with no password required, and hence the on-shutdown yad window by wd_save2flash works fine when used as user spot or user root.

I think this addon methodology - optional numbered NNKLextra sfs addon is the way to go in terms of catering more easily for the wishes of others and maintenance more generally. As the plugin shows it is able to alternatively allow the contents of such extra addon sfs files to be merged into the main firstrib_rootfs during build, OR, used simply as an extra numbered addon layer.

If you have other such programs (simple binary executables or utility scripts), that are not available from Fedora Rawhide repos, I'd prefer you keep a copy on your own repo as a numbered sfs addon (or several such in one numbered addon sfs) and provide me, via forum post, of the wget download line required to fetch and use it and/or merge it in per the poorercputemp example provided in the f_00 plugin.

With that new 12KL sfs addon, save2flash should work per my intention at shutdown. However, I wouldn't mix that approach with the commandline dialog alternative scripts others here have used in their distros - use one mechanism or another altogether if you prefer in your own builds. gxmessage should now be available, as should a 'working' roxfiler (run via command 'roxfiler', not rox since I haven't included symlink) - as I said some folder images aren't sorted out so need you to test that and feedback any improvements: check out /usr/local/ hierarchy for various related rox-configs (e.g. /usr/local/.config/ directory and /usr/local/apps, /usr/local/etc and so on; you can them symlink or copy back to main filesystem whatever you find needed for your rox usage requirements - looks like it works okay otherwise though).

If you build a Community Edition (iso or whatever), how you do things is up to yourself of course, but what I suggest above makes collaboration easier in practice I feel. I do encourage anyone to make a CE-version iso though and have a KLF section in Kennel Linux for any such production. The HowTo will remain as a relatively simple exemplar on using FirstRib build system.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

I added CUPS and found that worked straight away with my old HP2540P deskjet (inkjet) printer. The printer is old and pretty awful (albeit with a scanner) but does have some form of AirPrint.

I found hplip DID NOT need to be installed... which surprised me, but I know nothing much about printing software/drivers required.

All I needed was CUPS, and it seems avahi was needed (but already available by default in Fedora Rawhide); that avahi is seemingly needed to allow CUPS to search-for/discover networked printer (I was using the printer via wifi and had already set it up with a local LAN IP address, not via usb cable, which I've lost as it happens anyway).

As far as I recall, once I had used dnf install cups, I did:

sudo systemctl start cups

(I also did: sudo systemctl enable cups, so that the service would start on reboot too).

Then pointed my browser at running cups server local url address http://localhost:631

and added new printer at cups Administration tab (which then successfully found my DeskJet HP2540P on my local LAN - presumably used underneath avahi software to find/discover it...).

Then it simply worked - no hplip needed or any HP management software at all (maybe that adds something; I don't know; just did simple print from leafpad editor...).

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

wiak wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:06 am

@wiak
Please pack too.

Okay, I'll include that. It does have desktop file under main /etc/xdg/autostart, but doubt it would work without effort if put in /usr/local/etc/xdg/autostart, well it might but short of time so will just put in /etc/xdg/autostart since not going to cause issues there anyway. The main binaries will be put under /usr/local/bin though. Thereafter you need to make your own CE variant to include more since I also don't want to disrupt the underlying main Fedora root-filesystem with alien components (/usr/local area is okay though).

Amendment:
poorercputemp needs root privileges
the only question is to do it without asking for a password

wiak

Post by wiak »

Sofiya wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:02 pm

@wiak
Please pack too.

Amendment:

The new f_00_fedora_gui build script automated the visudo such that wheel group members such as spot do not need password when running a command with sudo, but for reason or other poorercputemp didn't do anything for me even run with sudo. However I was in a hurry because I have to stop computing for a while now and didn't look into it further.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

wiak wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:19 pm
Sofiya wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:02 pm

Amendment:

The new f_00_fedora_gui build script automated the visudo such that wheel group members such as spot do not need password when running a command with sudo, but for reason or other poorercputemp didn't do anything for me even run with sudo. However I was in a hurry because I have to stop computing for a while now and didn't look into it further.

if i type in terminal xterm -e sudo poorercputem this is run after entering the password

Return to “How-To”