Latest official Puppy?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Tippe

Latest official Puppy?

Post by Tippe »

Hi.

What is the latest official Puppy Linux based on Ubuntu packages?
Is there anything newer than Fossa Puppy?

Thanks

Bionic Puppy 64bit.
Won't use another one.

geo_c

Re: Latest official Puppy?

Post by geo_c »

There are a good number of pups coming out these days, more Debian than Ubuntu, but as far the latest, polished, official Ubuntu pup, I would say F96_CE-stable release4 seems to be the go to at the moment. It's a rebuilt fossapup, so it's got a lot more going under the hood than the original fossapup64_9.5.

Last edited by geo_c on Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

geo_c wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:10 am

There are a good number of pups coming out these days, more Debian than Ubuntu, but as far the latest, polished, official Ubuntu up, I would say F96_CE-stable release4 seems to be the go to at the moment. It's a rebuilt fossapup, so it's got a lot more going under the hood than the original fossapup64_9.5.

I am travelling at the moment and am using FP-96 as a go-to OS on my laptop. Had to use @mikewalsh portable zoom last night with pulse audio, and it worked a treat. WIFI in the hotels has been connecting VERY quickly with connman, or whatever it is called. Bluetooth also connects well when I have used it. Still to test other features, but I agree with @geo_c . And it boots really fast, too !

bilou

Post by bilou »

Harrf I thought the latest version was fossal 9.5.
is it possible to update fossal 9.5-> F96_CE-stable release4?

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

bilou wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:20 pm

Harrf I thought the latest version was fossal 9.5.
is it possible to update fossal 9.5-> F96_CE-stable release4?

Almost, but not completely. And doing so will take a lot of time and effort especially hunting the upgraded applications.
F96 is still Fossa. May I suggest the following: Read the F-96 thread, especially the Changelog. Duplicate your Fossapup folder: Right-Click>duplicate, give it another name. Then add it to your grub4dos/grub.cfg menu. Boot into it.
Install the Utility-Suite, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 983#p12983.
If your SaveFile has older or conflicting components, uninstall them. Mount any advr or ydrv and edit them to also remove any older/conflicting components. The Suite has an edit component. Use the Save2SFS component of the Utility-Suite to create an adrv.sfs.

Setup F-96 so that you can boot into it. Copy the adrv.sfs you created to its folder, renaming it adrv_fossapup64_9.6.sfs. Test to make sure nothing has been broken. Edit the adrv.sfs as necessary. If all is well, you now have your 'updated fossapup64'. You can also run Save2SFS to combine F96's builtin yrdv and your adrv to a new, inclusive ydrv so that you can create a different adrv with other applications such as web-browsers.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

mikeslr wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:55 pm

... You can also run Save2SFS to combine F96's builtin yrdv and your adrv to a new, inclusive ydrv so that you can create a different adrv with other applications such as web-browsers.

Not to contradict @mikeslr in any respect, but my take on it is this: what he's talking about is actually pretty advanced puppy stuff, and though it might be a bit of a pain to start fresh with F-96, I believe it will be worth the effort to have a stable and fresh system.

The beauty of puppy is you can simply install F-96 along side F-95 and have both. Any files inside your F-95 pupsave can be accessed from F-96 and copied.

The more times you setup a fresh puppy, the easier it gets.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

bilou

Post by bilou »

ok !! Thank you Iwill testing.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Well, I don't think its difficult. But I didn't actually do that. What I did was boot into Fossapup64 and take screen shots of PPM>Uninstall and SFS-Load. F96 can use any SFS, portable and AppImage which Fossapup64 uses. So the screenshot of SFS-Load was just to remind me. That of the installed apps made it easy to remember what was important enough to install if I still wanted to.
By now I've replaced most SFSes and installed applications with an equivalent from the many portables Mikewalsh has published. You'll find the almost complete list here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 734#p48734. If you use LibreOffice you may like my add-on, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 493#p95493 for Mike's portable.
@mikewalsh, please edit your Complete List so that I don't have to frequently mention this link to your Wine-portables, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 191#p68191

bilou

Post by bilou »

All good, F96_CE-stable release4 installed, I've copy/paste on USB key my old home.
Configuration ok
Thank you guys, that's work very fine.

Tippe

Post by Tippe »

Ok, thanks for the replies.

Is Focal Fossa LTS?

Bionic Puppy 64bit.
Won't use another one.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Tippe wrote:

Is Focal Fossa LTS?

From Ubuntu's Focal wiki:

Maintenance updates will be provided for 5 years until April 2025 for Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Server, Ubuntu Cloud, and Ubuntu Core. All the remaining flavours will be supported for 3 years.

There are other factors involved when it comes to Fossapup64-9.5, Fossapup64-9.6 and F96-CE_4 being updated at the same pace as Ubuntu.

I am pondering over whether or not to remaster a version of F96-CE_4 using @wiak's APT package manager SFS add-on. In my tests I could update the modified F96-CE_4 using apt update | apt upgrade commands and seems to do a system wide update/upgrade. This idea needs some refinement but it might be way to squeak it out right through 2025.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@bilou
@mikeslr

.Install the Utility-Suite, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 983#p12983.

The Utility Suite is already installed in F96ce_4

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

Return to “Beginners Help”