Editing of one's own posts

Ideas and discussion

amethyst

Editing of one's own posts

Post by amethyst »

@rockedge Is there a way that the original poster can decide himself whether the "Last edited.." message be displayed or not? Also, if I'm not mistaken: if my post is the last post in a specific thread and I edit this last post, the "Last edit" message does not appear but it will appear if you edit one of your post if it was not the last post. Also - when you start a new thread, you can change your message without the edit message if nobody else has posted afterwards. Why, these differences?

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Editing of one's own posts

Post by rockedge »

@amethyst Interesting. I will have to investigate and also post on the phpBB forum this question. I have not delved deeply into this scenario with the edit reason form field.

So more control over the field when the author of the post does the edit but is required to appear if admins or moderators perform the edit.
Perhaps the feature is more aimed for use by moderators?

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

I don't mind if the Last edit message appear when the post has been changed substantially because that would also give other users who are following the thread an indication that it was changed, however, I often go back to posts just to change something small like a spelling error for example and I think then the last edit message is not necessary. I would like more control over my own posts in this regard, ie. decide whether or not to indicate that the post has been changed or not.

Flash

Re: Editing of one's own posts; "last edited" message

Post by Flash »

If yours is the last post in a thread, then editing it will not cause the "last edited" message. The old forum was that way too. I for one appreciate that, because no matter how carefully I edit a post before I click 'Submit', I immediately see several mistakes after the message is up on the board for everyone to read :oops: .

Chaos coordinator :?
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Playing around with editing my post above it seems if I leave the reason for edit form field blank, that it does not display any indicator that I edited the post.

Needs some more checking into.

Last edited by rockedge on Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I am placing the reason here to test when the field is displayed
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Flash wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:28 pm

If yours is the last post in a thread, then editing it will not cause the "last edited" message. The old forum was that way too. I for one appreciate that, because no matter how carefully I edit a post before I click 'Submit', I immediately see several mistakes after the message is up on the board for everyone to read :oops: .

That's what I said. I would like to have an option to decide whether an editing message should appear or not after I have made changes to any of my posts in a thread.

Last edited by amethyst on Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@amethyst So far when I write a reason in the field there is a message that the post has been edited. When I leave it blank there is no indication that the post has been changed.......

UPDATE #1 This is a test edit showing no indicator

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

rockedge wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:36 pm

@amethyst So far when I write a reason in the field there is a message that the post has been edited. When I leave it blank there is no indication that the post has been changed.......

UPDATE #1 This is a test edit

Where's that option for the "normal" user?

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@amethyst Now 2nd test post.... I will need to check as a regular user!!!!

UPDATE #2 now I'll fill in the field with a reason

Screenshot(38).jpg
Screenshot(38).jpg (21.08 KiB) Viewed 1174 times
Last edited by rockedge on Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: testing the form field
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Test post as regular user and the form field is NOT available...

Screenshot(39).jpg
Screenshot(39).jpg (17.41 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@amethyst So it does appear that only mod's and admin's see the option. Perhaps there is an extension module for phpBB that will enhance this feature. Maybe it can be adjusted via the permissions system and enabled for registered users. Don't know for sure yet.

puppy_apprentice

Post by puppy_apprentice »

amethyst wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:50 am

Why, these differences?

You are leading the discussion. Someone accuses you of misrepresenting the truth, of deliberately spreading false information. The information that you changed the content of the post in this case is important. Thanks to the annotation, others will see that you have changed the original content of the post, and although the new version does not contain content that is untrue, something was up.

This kind of option works well in off-topic discussions: for example, about politics or epidemics.

When discussing Linux/technical topics, marking each text correction automatically in my opinion is unnecessary.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

amethyst wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:33 pm

That's what I said. I would like to have an option to decide whether an editing message should appear or not after I have made changes to any of my posts in a thread.

@amethyst :-

So; you want to be able to make changes without anybody else being aware that you HAVE made them, yes? What a very curious idea! I'm sorry if you don't like me asking this, but.....WHY? What are you trying to "hide"? Or do you want to be able to make it look as if you're always right..?

Part of being human is being fallible, mate. Nobody's perfect. Why pretend to be?

Sorry, but the whole proposition just makes no sense to me. And there have been several occasions when forum members have spotted that another member has quite clearly tried to change their messages and then denied having done so, making it obvious that they're trying to hide having ever said something that is ultimately going to be detrimental to themselves at a later date.....'twill "come back to bite them on the ass", as it were.

(And it's not only here. I've seen this behaviour on SO many different fora/message boards over the years, Some people simply hate the idea of losing credibility & respect through their own foolish actions or behaviour. It's far from new...)

Mike. :roll:

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

has been discussed and was delegated to the backwaters of support....but I made a post to begin to renew the topic and I received an answer :geek:

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2433541

The conversation:

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Invisible moderator edits

Post by warmweer » Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:44 pm

rockedge wrote: ↑Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:32 pm

Brf wrote: ↑Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:31 am
The message is not shown if it is not filled in.....

This is not entirely true. We run 3.3.10 and notice as well that this is not the case in certain scenarios. That when a regular registered user edits their own posts, there is a message enabled that indicates the fact that the edit occurred.

If there's has been no reply to a post (and the member has edit permissions) , then there is no edited x times nor an edit datetime.
if the member edits the post after a reply was made, then there'll be an indication about time and number of edit sessions.

Added first edit: this line as an edit about 1 minute after submitting the original post

added second edit - after the reply

Original post here -> https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p15968491

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:16 pm
amethyst wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:33 pm

@amethyst :-

So; you want to be able to make changes without anybody else being aware that you HAVE made them, yes? What a very curious idea! I'm sorry if you don't like me asking this, but.....WHY? What are you trying to "hide"? Or do you want to be able to make it look as if you're always right..?

Part of being human is being fallible, mate. Nobody's perfect. Why pretend to be?

Sorry, but the whole proposition just makes no sense to me. And there have been several occasions when forum members have spotted that another member has quite clearly tried to change their messages and then denied having done so, making it obvious that they're trying to hide having ever said something that is ultimately going to be detrimental to themselves at a later date.....'twill "come back to bite them on the ass", as it were.

(And it's not only here. I've seen this behaviour on SO many different fora/message boards over the years, Some people simply hate the idea of losing credibility & respect through their own foolish actions or behaviour. It's far from new...)

Mike. :roll:

Well read this thread properly (my posts in particular) before spewing nonsense. Got nothing to hide and most definitely not concerned "about something that might bite me in the arse". :lol:

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

rockedge wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:44 pm

has been discussed and was delegated to the backwaters of support....but I made a post to begin to renew the topic and I received an answer :geek:

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2433541

The conversation:

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Invisible moderator edits

Post by warmweer » Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:44 pm

rockedge wrote: ↑Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:32 pm

Brf wrote: ↑Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:31 am
The message is not shown if it is not filled in.....

This is not entirely true. We run 3.3.10 and notice as well that this is not the case in certain scenarios. That when a regular registered user edits their own posts, there is a message enabled that indicates the fact that the edit occurred.

If there's has been no reply to a post (and the member has edit permissions) , then there is no edited x times nor an edit datetime.
if the member edits the post after a reply was made, then there'll be an indication about time and number of edit sessions.

Added first edit: this line as an edit about 1 minute after submitting the original post

added second edit - after the reply

Original post here -> https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p15968491

So, the "regular" poster does not have the full editing permissions because the 'editing field" is not an option. Still ridiculous that in some instances (as mentioned) and irrespective of the users input the message appears and in some instances not...this is if I understand it correctly.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

The information, that the original poster edited a post, tells me when they did the edit.

This is very good information to provide, when you are looking at the first post of a topic, about a program, they are providing for Puppy Linux.
That first post should be kept updated, to have the latest information.
Example the first post for Frugalpup Installer.
viewtopic.php?p=1588#p1588

The edit information shows that gyrog last edited it on may 27 2023.

So, if I go into the pages of the topic and find one by gyrog, dated newer than may 27 2023.
I know this could be new information about Frugalpup Installer.

Like this post:
viewtopic.php?p=90371#p90371
That most likely is not info provided in the first post.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

@rockedge

I thought the reason why information was just for moderators of the forum.

So if we do an edit to a post, we can easily give a reason for the edit.
So people do not have to wonder, why a forum moderator edited the post?
Example:
viewtopic.php?t=9248
viewtopic.php?p=94495#p94495

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

amethyst wrote:

Still ridiculous that in some instances (as mentioned) and irrespective of the users input the message appears and in some instances not...this is if I understand it correctly.

Simple concept. I write a post. If I now edit the post before anyone replies to that post there is NO indication that an edit ever occurred.
If I write that post, and you reply and now I go back to my post an edit it, then a message indicates that post has been edited and altered.

This makes a lot of sense, and in the spirit of the conversation, it would be ridiculous not to have this indicator to show an edit occurred to the post after a reply has been made.

Reason being if I write something that you respond to, I can't go back and edit and alter something that has had a reply, possibly changing the entire meaning of the post that you've already replied too. So a no one can go back on something they wrote one way that has had a response then rewrite it another way to change the meaning in secret.

This has been so designed and coded by the phpBB developers. I probably will not go into core files and alter the code and cause unintended effects or make it a hassle to update/upgrade by having a lot of customization modifications to the core PHP.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

rockedge wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:09 am
amethyst wrote:

Still ridiculous that in some instances (as mentioned) and irrespective of the users input the message appears and in some instances not...this is if I understand it correctly.

Simple concept. I write a post. If I now edit the post before anyone replies to that post there is NO indication that an edit ever occurred.
If I write that post, and you reply and now I go back to my post an edit it, then a message indicates that post has been edited and altered.

This makes a lot of sense, and in the spirit of the conversation, it would be ridiculous not to have this indicator to show an edit occurred to the post after a reply has been made.

Reason being if I write something that you respond to, I can't go back and edit and alter something that has had a reply, possibly changing the entire meaning of the post that you've already replied too. So a no one can go back on something they wrote one way that has had a response then rewrite it another way to change the meaning in secret.

This has been so designed and coded by the phpBB developers. I probably will not go into core files and alter the code and cause unintended effects or make it a hassle to update/upgrade by having a lot of customization modifications to the core PHP.

I read what you say, still not convinced. Scenario - I make a post, nobody replies. After a week I edit this post (after hundreds have seen it before). But now there is no edit message (although a previous reader may still have interest in the subject but the post is not marked as edited).

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@amethyst you can test it all you want. Any suggestions should be directed to the developers of phpBB3. I am not one of them.

I am not sure what you want me to tell you. I already on your behalf spent time to go on their forum to ask about it.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

rockedge wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:31 am

@amethyst you can test it all you want. Any suggestions should be directed to the developers of phpBB3. I am not one of them.

I am not sure what you want me to tell you. I already on your behalf spent time to go on their forum to ask about it.

I'm just curious why it works differently in certain situations, doesn't make sense to me. I've given you an example where it definitely does not make sense. Anyways, let's move on...

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

May I just add something here (a suggestion). An option on the main page to display the posts which have recently been edited. I think that will be a useful feature. Can it be done?

puppy_apprentice

For me isn't a problem with this option.

You write the book. You apply revisions before publishing it. These corrections are not marked in the first edition of the book. But when errors are found in the book after publication the publisher will add an errata. And in the new edition of the book there will be a notation, for example, "second edition corrected."

If the annotation of the edition would be turned off, it would be in a good tone to notify about the changes itself. Sometimes we do this by adding at the end of the post:
"Edit: blah, blah".

rockedge wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:09 am

This makes a lot of sense, and in the spirit of the conversation.

amethyst wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:24 am

Scenario - I make a post, nobody replies.

So this is not a conversation but a monologue ;)

You can hide those annotations if you don't like them.

Code: Select all

@-moz-document domain("forum.puppylinux.com") {
	dd.profile-posts {
		display: none;
	}
	div.notice {
		display: none;
	}
}

This will turn-off annotation about thanks too ;p

Edited: added CSS tip.

one

Post by one »

[...]
I read what you say, still not convinced. Scenario - I make a post, nobody replies. After a week I edit this post (after hundreds have seen it before). But now there is no edit message (although a previous reader may still have interest in the subject but the post is not marked as edited).

Hi @amethyst

Now that you know how the logic of the "edit message" works it would be easiest not to edit the first/original post but to write a second post with the change/addition you want.

So a previous reader sees that you have corrected/added something - and the new post appears in "Quick Links>New/Unread posts" and "Active topics" also.

peace

puppy_apprentice

Or you can use "bump method":

In simple terms, it’s used when there has been no reply to a post and as such the message has disappeared from the thread onto another page. The user replies to the post with ‘bump’ to get it back to the top.

It is known to stand for ‘bring up my post’ and alternatives are ‘refresh’ and ‘^’.

viewtopic.php?p=82157#p82157

previous reader may still have interest in the subject

I think interested readers will subscribe (bookmark) your topic and return to it from time to time. Your own annotation of changes in first post will suffice.

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

@rockedge I have not problems with the way it is. Makes a lot of sense to me.
However I noticed that the "Edited nnx times" text is also added to a my Private Message when I grab it from the Outbox for further editing. This message hasn't been sent yet and nobody has seen it yet except me. In this case I have difficulties to understand the purpose of this added text. A bit odd.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Off-Topic: @MochiMoppel Any reason for that you're still wearing that (terrible IMHO :o ) mouth-cap ?
edit: but perhaps in real life you don't wear..., anyway I'd like to invite you to put it off ;)

Grey

Post by Grey »

fredx181 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:07 pm

Off-Topic: @MochiMoppel Any reason for that you're still wearing that (terrible IMHO :o ) mouth-cap ?
edit: but perhaps in real life you don't wear..., anyway I'd like to invite you to put it off ;)

The virus may have nothing to do with it. If he lives in one of the suburbs of Tokyo, then there such a thing can be worn every day (smog).
Funny moment. The first day I saw the avatar, it seemed to me that it was a hammock. Well, a forest, a tent, mosquitoes, a hammock :) ...

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Grey wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:28 pm
fredx181 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:07 pm

The virus may have nothing to do with it. If he lives in one of the suburbs of Tokyo, then there such a thing can be worn every day (smog).
Funny moment. The first day I saw the avatar, it seemed to me that it was a hammock. Well, a forest, a tent, mosquitoes, a hammock :) ...

Oh, you should have seen him without the mosquitoes tent, much prettier ! :lol:

Return to “Forum Organization & Structure Council”