Brother printer install via brlaser driver (Fossapup)

Moderator: Forum moderators

greengeek

Brother printer install via brlaser driver (Fossapup)

Post by greengeek »

I was unable to put this in the "Instructional" section as there is no category for "printing"

This post relates to installing a Brother printer on Ozsouth's Fossa 9.5 variants, and also works on Fossapup 9.6

This is not a HowTo covering multiple models - it just covers an MFC7820N via usb only - although the actual driver handles multiple models so potentially it may be helpful for others.

Firstly - the generic "brlaser" driver that covers multiple models is referred to by p310don here:
viewtopic.php?p=2874#p2874

I successfully used this in Fossa9.6 and Fossa9.5 (several of Ozsouth's reduced size variants)
(Note that the automatic installation of the txz driver loads one file into the wrong place so I refer below to where that should be moved)

Here is what I did:
Installation of Brother printer driver "rastertobrlaser" in Fossapup64 9.5 or 9.6
(for printer connection via usb cable):

See the post referred to above for generic multi-model Brother driver. Download as required.

NOTE: I had pre-downloaded the brlaser driver so did not have internet connected during install.
(ie the browser usage below is offline)

Plugged Brother MFC7820N (switched on and ready) into usb port.

Clicked on "brlaser-2020.08-x86_64-P.txz". Clicked "yes" to install prompt.

Navigated to /usr/lib64/cups/filter and copied the file "rastertobrlaser" across to /usr/lib/cups/filter.

Opened browser and in the url bar entered:
localhost:631

Selected "Administration" tab and clicked "Find New Printers"

Clicked "Add This Printer" alongside the "Brother MFC-7820N" that had been found.

Noted that the printer had been correctly identified then clicked "Continue"

A list of Manufacturers appeared and I selected "Brother" then clicked "Continue"
- Various brother models were shown in the driver list and I selected "MFC7420 using brlaser" then clicked "Add printer"

Adjusted settings as required and clicked "Set printer defaults"

Went to "Printers" tab in the CUPS browser page and selected the printer (this may already be displayed automatically)
Used "Maintenance" button to print test page.

Hope you have luck with your model.
(I got lucky because the MFC7820 is very similar to the MFC7420 that is listed as supported).

greengeek

Re: Brother printer install via brlaser driver (Fossapup)

Post by greengeek »

As an alternative to using the .txz file referred to above (and having to manually move the aforementioned file) - I have made a .pet that copies the necessary files to the correct location and offers some coaching.
(Just use this pet or else the method above. No need to combine the two different methods...)

If you wish to try the pet please do so first on a generic Puppy without savefile (ie: use at own risk).

I think it's pretty easy and works well for me.

(It was designed for use with Ozsouth's "Fossa9.5 "Less" which is a minimal cutdown Fossa - but works fine on other Fossa's too)

F95Less_Brother_brlaser_driver_install_gg-0.1.pet
(128.3 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

Return to “Printing”