Fossa64-Mid - Discontinued

Moderator: Forum moderators

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Fossa64-Mid - a pup with most needed items

Post by rockedge »

Here is untrunc compiled against glibc 2.31 so it works with Fossa64-Mid.

Restore a damaged (truncated) mp4, m4v, mov, 3gp video. Provided you have a similar not broken video. And some luck. Also works the same way with audio like m4a.

The program was built on a Foss64-Mid QEMU virtual machine.

Attachments
untrunc.pet
(199.24 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Latest Midori browser is v11.1.2 but uses apulse instead of alsa to make sound work - so I have made a pet for F95 Mid that includes the required apulse from OscarTalks.
(No other changes required. Sound just works perfectly now)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/dsx4icji ... 0.pet/file
(82MB download)

I quite like it. Does everything I need.

Searching from the url bar seems odd at first - seems to default to the Astian search engine which may not be active yet - but you can check the dropdown menu and select Google if you like. Second search allows you to choose another search engine if preferred.

Last edited by greengeek on Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

The previous Asunder (CD ripper) pet that I posted had lame and liblame included - but it turns out that the WAV (or wav) to mp3 conversion can be done using the inbuilt F95Mid ffmpeg instead of lame.

So this pet (ffmpeg instead of lame) is a bit smaller (almost half the size) than my previous Asunder pet.

It includes my "WAVwav2mp3" script which is able to convert the WAV (or wav) files created by Asunder (or Peasy rip or other ripper) into mp3 files of either 128 or 192kbps (user choice)
(Asunder and WAVwav2mp3 get loaded separately into the multimedia menu).

F95Mid_AsunderPlusWAV2mp3_gg-0.3.pet
(140.65 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
AsunderWAVwav2mp3Menu.png
AsunderWAVwav2mp3Menu.png (42.42 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

I do miss having an audible alarm when my laptop battery is running out.

Does anyone have a suggestion for suitable battery monitor/alarm running on F95Mid?

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

I have made a script that monitors battery "percent remaining" and gives a visual and audible alarm when the battery drops to 20%

The pet places the script in /root/Startup so after installing it you must either navigate into Startup and manually click the script or else do a "restart X" to get it running. (Or else move the script somewhere else and run it manually) (I plan to remaster it into the Startup of my base sfs so that it starts automatically during boot).

ErrorMessage.jpg
ErrorMessage.jpg (10.5 KiB) Viewed 1404 times

Possibly only works with my particular brand of laptop but who knows? Please report any failures so I can improve it. Thx

Note :This is a newer version as I have now added a pinstall.sh script to autostart the battery check (I kept forgetting to manually start it...)
So now the script starts running as soon as the pet is installed.

F95Mid_battwarning20_gg-0.2.pet
(840 Bytes) Downloaded 26 times

Older version (does not autostart. Must manually start or restartx) :

F95Mid_battwarning20_gg-0.0.pet
(780 Bytes) Downloaded 26 times
Last edited by greengeek on Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

The inbuilt mhwaveedit can save files in various formats but seems unable to save in mp3 format.

I made a pet containing lame and liblame which allows mhwaveedit to save as mp3.
(No menu entry - the audio utilities find lame as required)

F95Mid_lame_gg-0.0.pet
(164.47 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

@bigpup mentioned a recent release of Palemoon so I though I would give it a try.

This is a pet of version 32.5.2 gtk3 version
(It is also available in a gtk2 version but I don't know when/where each different version would be most applicable so have not tried that one yet)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/5b2yqc5q ... 1.pet/file
(39MB download)

Loads into /opt and has menu entry in "Internet".

Only issue so far: I like to print webpages to pdf and sometimes with Palemoon I am seeing overprint of some lines. Not sure if this is an issue with default page size selection or scaling etc but overall it's a pretty good browser for the size.

palemoon.jpg
palemoon.jpg (69.26 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
greengeek

"windowsteps" window arranger

Post by greengeek »

I often end up with my taskbar full of minimised windows and I cant read the window titles or drive label because they are truncated.
@rockedge had a recent post which prompted the idea of tiling all open windows - which I cannot do - but here is an alternative.
This "windowsteps" utility attempts to shrink all windows (for current desktop only - for safety) and arranges them in a cascade of steps.
It makes it easier to read the window titles so hopefully will make it easier to choose the desired window.
Prerequisite - this needs wmctrl which can easily be downloaded directly from the PPM (no need to update database)

Here is a pet (excluding wmctrl) that places the windowsteps script in /root. Just click that script and all open windows will be rearranged.

F95Mid_windowsteps_gg-0.2.pet
(860 Bytes) Downloaded 27 times

And here is a similar pet but which includes wmctrl:

F95Mid_windowsteps+wmctrl_gg-0.2.pet
(12.79 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

(Sometimes i have to use the script twice to sort all windows. I think maybe I need a slight delay in there somewhere)
*Note - I think MochiMoppel has sorted that issue. Thanks !

Fossa9.5_Mid_Screenshot.png
Fossa9.5_Mid_Screenshot.png (434.89 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
Last edited by greengeek on Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
MochiMoppel

Re: "windowsteps" window arranger

Post by MochiMoppel »

greengeek wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:25 am

(Sometimes i have to use the script twice to sort all windows. I think maybe I need a slight delay in there somewhere)

You could simplify the script. Maybe that would help.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
# Get the ID of the current desktop
current_desktop_id=$(wmctrl -d | grep '*' | cut -d ' ' -f 1)
#~ # Get list of windows
window_list=$(wmctrl -l -x | awk -v current_desktop="$current_desktop_id" '$2 == current_desktop {print $1}')
#Specify offsets
horizontal_offset=30
vertical_offset=30

#Iterate through windows and position them with offsets
#Nominate starting point. Avoid 0,0 and maybe push x further out to allow Home iconspace
x=58
y=2
for window_id in $window_list
do
  wmctrl -ia $window_id #Bring each window to top. Is this giving full focus?? Maybe faulty. MM: now fixed ;-)
  wmctrl -ir $window_id -e 0,$x,$y,-1,-1  # Position window with offsets
  x=$((x + horizontal_offset))  # Increment x and y with steps and offsets
  y=$((y + vertical_offset))
done
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

MochiMoppel wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:41 am

You could simplify the script. Maybe that would help.

#!/bin/sh...etc

Many thanks Mochi!
I have now updated the two pets and will give it some further testing. :thumbup:
(EDIT : The optimised code still occasionally struggled to modify some windows unless i ran the script twice so now I have modified the pet to do a double pass and it seems reliable now and gives a tidier alignment)
Certainly makes it easier to know which window is which.

F95Mid_screen.png
F95Mid_screen.png (232.72 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

greengeek wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:04 am

(EDIT : The optimised code still occasionally struggled to modify some windows unless i ran the script twice so now I have modified the pet to do a double pass and it seems reliable now and gives a tidier alignment)

I can confirm that - very rarely - a window is left in its position. Tried many times with a desktop filled with 50 windows. Happened only twice. Could be a timing issue with the WM. Instead of duplicating the whole code it may help to position the windows first and then, in a second loop, activate them.
Would look like this:

#!/bin/sh
current_desktop_id=$(wmctrl -d | grep '*' | cut -d ' ' -f 1)
#~ # Get list of windows
window_list=$(wmctrl -l -x | awk -v current_desktop="$current_desktop_id" '$2 == current_desktop {print $1}')
#Specify offsets
horizontal_offset=30
vertical_offset=30

#Iterate through windows and position them with offsets
#Nominate starting point. Avoid 0,0 and maybe push x further out to allow Home iconspace
x=58
y=20
do
#~   wmctrl -ir $window_id -e 0,$x,$y,540,200  # Position window with offsets
  wmctrl -ir $window_id -e 0,$x,$y,-1,-1  # Position window with offsets
  x=$((x + horizontal_offset))  # Increment x and y with steps and offsets
  y=$((y + vertical_offset))
done
do
  wmctrl -ia $window_id #Bring each window to top
done

I took the liberty to change the "Position" code line back to the one of your previous script, because now you not only position the windows, you also resize them to 520x200, which certainly looks very tidy but will make it very hard to recover from this operation. Eventually you will have to resize the windows manually back to a usable size, and even if you decide to close them, many applications remember their last size when you open them again. Specially mtPaint doesn't like to be reduced to such size, and small option windows may look weird when enlarged to 520x200.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

MochiMoppel wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:26 am

I took the liberty to change the "Position" code line back to the one of your previous script, because now you not only position the windows, you also resize them to 520x200, which certainly looks very tidy but will make it very hard to recover from this operation.

Thank you - I will give these options some comparative testing.
Just a thought - I am reluctant to clog up Ozsouth's thread with any further development of this, but I am also reluctant to start a separate thread as I am already at the limits of my coding abilities :D

Would you perhaps consider maintaining a thread where this functionality could be extended to other pups? You obviously have an intimate understanding of jwm and efficient coding and would be ideally suited to develop this sort of cascading functionality. I feel it may be something that might appeal to other users across the 32bit and 64bit spectrum and I know you have huge experience with making things work almost anywhere.
I am thinking it may even benefit from some sort of configuartion file to allow things like vertical offset to be changed to match different distros or themes, or for options such as fixed window width or height etc etc
For my own use - I plan to add this function into the F95Mid quick tray as I almost never use the current "minimise windows to clear desktop" icon as I don't really use the desktop icons much - other than the "home" icon. It will be much more helpful for me to use this cascading mechanism and there may be others who feel similar. I am sure they would welcome your quality of coding rather than mine 8-)
Would you consider such a thing? :thumbup:

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

greengeek wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:10 am

Would you perhaps consider maintaining a thread where this functionality could be extended to other pups?

Sorry, no.
I don't like cascading windows. If it's just for the purpose of better finding windows when the desktop is clogged with windows then I use my own WinSwitcher. Shows the title bars of all windows, not only those of the current desktop, and most of all doesn't mess with position and size of the windows (The linked version is very old and not functional anymore in modern Puppies).

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

MochiMoppel wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:02 am

Sorry, no. I don't like cascading windows.

Ok, understood. Thanks anyway for considering.

If it's just for the purpose of better finding windows when the desktop is clogged with windows then I use my own WinSwitcher.

Thank you - I had not come across that before. I think anything that improves awareness and handling of open windows is a worthwhile idea.

ozsouth

Re: Fossa64-Mid - now concentrating on Less

Post by ozsouth »

I have decided to concentrate on Fossa64-Less, as it is closer to my original aim. Less V3 about to be released.

Marv

Re: Fossa64-Mid - now concentrating on Less

Post by Marv »

ozsouth wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:48 am

I have decided to concentrate on Fossa64-Less, as it is closer to my original aim. Less V3 about to be released.

Great! Fossa64-Less has just the right main SFS content and overall 'balance' to mesh perfectly with my custom ydrvs.

Thanks,

Update: @ozsouth, Updated my LXDE'd savefileless V2 install to V3 without a hitch. I have used it for a day or so with no issues seen. Run both with the stock kernel and with an AUFS patched non-usrmerge 6.6.8 kernel. I continue to carry viewnoir as one of my adds in the ydrv but agree it isn't required in the core with mtpaint present. All good so far. Posting from Brave run as a portable in V3 now. Again, a wonderful small but capable core system.

Last edited by Marv on Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

mow9902

Post by mow9902 »

greengeek wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:25 am

I often end up with my taskbar full of minimised windows and I cant read the window titles or drive label because they are truncated.
@rockedge had a recent post which prompted the idea of tiling all open windows - which I cannot do - but here is an alternative.
This "windowsteps" utility attempts to shrink all windows (for current desktop only - for safety) and arranges them in a cascade of steps.
Fossa9.5_Mid_Screenshot.png

Thanks for this little script @greengeek - very useful. I've added to my system with an icon.

Window Steps.png
Window Steps.png (1.5 KiB) Viewed 810 times
ozsouth

Fossa64-Mid - v4 (final) released

Post by ozsouth »

Final version of Mid (V4). released - see 1st post.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Here is a pet and an sfs of the latest Midori (v 11.2)

These have apulse grafted in as that is a requirement for audio in this latest version.
(Needs no configuration or setup or special conditions. Fully automatic)

Look in Menu/internet to run.

pet :
https://www.mediafire.com/file_premium/ ... 2.pet/file
(82MB download)

sfs :
https://www.mediafire.com/file_premium/ ... 2.sfs/file
(89MB download)

greengeek

Re: Fossa64-Mid - CLOSED

Post by greengeek »

Hope questions are still ok despite the closed status - I have a question about the Abiword within Fossa Mid (probably applies to Abiword elsewhere too but F95 Mid is still working great for me...)

Abiword shows the option of Times New Roman font but I have been unable to work out where it gets this font from. Does anyone know where it is finding it? Does not seem to be within the usual /usr/share/fonts. Is it maybe linking some other serif font as a "Pseudo Times NR..." ?

ozsouth

Re: Fossa64-Mid - Discontinued

Post by ozsouth »

@greengeek - I guess I meant I wouldn't be working on this any more, but feel free! I'll make it 'discontinued' instead. I'm concentrating on s15-ovrly (my daily-use pup) & fossa-less. I think the abiword TNR is somehow embedded.

Marv

Post by Marv »

@ozsouth Glad to see you are continuing to support fossa-less. The main SFS there is a wonderful core for small bur very capable pups.

Thanks again,

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

I am trialling a piece of software that drives a UVC compliant webcam (called a "visualizer" for documents) and it is based on Java. So i think I need a "JRE" to suit F95.

Anyone have any idea what I should load in order to enable running a .jar utility?

Cheers!

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@greengeek

This post should explain what you need to do :thumbup2:

viewtopic.php?p=90363#p90363

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@greengeek

I saw earlier in this thread that you created a script to inform you when your battery was running low and a visual prompt was displayed.

Would it be possible to also include the opposite ie when the battery is full, therefore prompting you to unplug the charger?

Return to “Re-masters”