Fossa64-bas - CLOSED

Moderator: Forum moderators

ozsouth

Re: Fossa64-bas - A Basic Fossapup

Post by ozsouth »

@amethyst - for size constraints, I left widevine to be downloaded when needed. If one has an install & save, it only has to be done once. I figured most would do that, or use someone else's firefox.

ozsouth

Re: Fossa64-bas - big 1

Post by ozsouth »

Now that Basic seems to have (finally) stabilised, I made a 292mb 'Big' version. Can be made via the components in post 3 on page 1, or use iso there.
See: viewtopic.php?p=92894#p92894

greengeek

Re: Fossa64-bas - big 1

Post by greengeek »

ozsouth wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:59 am

Now that Basic seems to have (finally) stabilised, I made a 292mb 'Big' version. Can be made via the components in post 3 on page 1, or use iso there.
See: viewtopic.php?p=92894#p92894

Nice!
Liking this :thumbup:

Boots perfectly from CD. Will try to give this a good test across a broad range of my laptops.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

This is a good little system to keep (well for backup). I have a few issues with it since testing (more will probably jump out along the way) so I'm not going to use it as a primary system. Using the official Fossapup64 9.5, just not running some of the stuff like Conky, picom, etc. which eats resources. This is still a worthwhile project though especially if you keep it very basic with just the bare essentials.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

So far tonight have booted the "big-1" iso from CD and connected to various sites on the internet on the following laptops:

Toshiba M700 2GB
Toshiba Satellite Pro S500 4GB
HP Elitebook 8440p 8GB
Compaq CQ60 3GB
Dell Vostro 1520 3GB

I will drag out some older lappys later for more testing - but this is looking like a great OS to restore a variety of machines to useability.

I have found that Dissenter browser runs in this big-1 version without any extra dependencies. I like the feel of Dissenter and it is nice to have a Firefox alternative that drops straight in.

Dissenter .pet here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... _amd64.pet

Thread here:
https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... p=684#p684

In addition i tried Chromium Ungoogled portable and also Opera portable and Vivaldi portable (both of which I love for their ability to "cast") but each of these requires libgm and libwayland-server to be added - so here is a pet if anyone wants to try them:

F95Big_ExtraLibs_Opera_Vivaldi_UnGoog_gg-0.0.pet
(46.24 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Last edited by greengeek on Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Playing around a bit. What I did was to add my basic Fossa to the same folder as the official release of Fossa. I made another initrd.gz for basic (DISTRO_SPECS changed for new names for basic). So I can choose which of the 2 I want to boot and they share the same kernel. The official release runs with a save file whilst basic runs with an adrv. If I run the basic, the official release's save file is not loaded. Of course you need to make another entry for basic in menu.lst. Cool actually, saving space.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

If you have Intel graphics hardware, you can (should) use the intel video driver for better performance. There are a few files missing with this basic edition so I attach the necessary in a zip file. Extract and place the files in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu. To set up the intel driver you will have to exit to prompt and type in xorgwizard. Set the driver as intel. Once everything is set, run the xwin command to return to desktop.

Attachments
intel.zip
(64.86 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
oui

Post by oui »

How lucky is we to find such information. We have an extreme problem of information management because this detail, totally independent of the version of Puppy concerned (or almost! Because only the owners of intel equipment and simultaneously developers of Puppy will undoubtedly include these files in the versions they create. And it is not even sure because Intel is better than us: in fact, the Vesa drivers from Puppy (in SliTaz, it is not enough! If you can enter in SliTaz without, you must activate the function "tazx"! So important can be that matter!) are often enough ... I think that those details are stuff for some distributions wiki. But it can't come from alone into the Wiki. The community :mrgreen: has to do :lol: somewhat!

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

The download link for Abiword/Gnumeric .pet not working anymore. New link please,

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@amethyst - abiword/gnumeric link fixed - see 3rd post on page 1. Not sure what happened there.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

ozsouth wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:07 am

@amethyst - abiword/gnumeric link fixed - see 3rd post on page 1. Not sure what happened there.

Thanks. I've downloaded your v7 then my portable Firefox wouldn't work. Luckily I kept my old files (version 4) or it could be something else because I had ffmpeg installed (but firefox portable wouldn't start at all with V7). BTW - If you install the gnome-mplayer.pet, you can play almost everything without installing other files (don't need ffmpeg). It plays all my files inclusing VP9's, H265, etc. Quite impressive. Unfortunately the ffmpeg stuff are required for internet streaming.

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@amethyst - yes, gnome-mplayer is very versatile - plays media files, dvds & my old tv-tuner too. Great for a fairly small .pet.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Has anyone got any other browsers apart from Palemoon and Firefox going with this Basic distribution? mikewalsh's latest Firefox portable works for me but none of his other portable offerings (tried Opera, Iron and Chrome). I would like to try a chrome-base browser as it seems lighter on resources for streaming (tried Chromium with Bionic 32).

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@amethyst - I made a chrome .pet. Is 93mb & run from Internet menu. Check your pm's.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

amethyst wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:21 am

Has anyone got any other browsers apart from Palemoon and Firefox going with this Basic distribution?

If you are prepared to add 3MB of extra libs then you have a choice of Vivaldi, Chrome v108, Opera, Dissenter, Brave and Slimjet as well as the "Pocket-Browser" AppImage.
(Opera, Slimjet, Vivaldi and Chrome can be used for streaming to a Chromecast but the others can't)
Dissenter seems really lightweight and quick. Loving it.

Last edited by greengeek on Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@greengeek - slimjet looks interesting. My only concern is their packaging licence conditions.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

greengeek wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:29 am
amethyst wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:21 am

Has anyone got any other browsers apart from Palemoon and Firefox going with this Basic distribution?

If you are prepared to add 3MB of extra libs then you have a choice of Vivaldi, Chrome v108, Opera, Dissenter, Brave and Slimjet as well as the "Pocket-Browser" AppImage.
(Opera, Slimjet and Vivaldi can be used for straeming to a Chromecast but the others can't)
Dissenter seems really lightweight and quick. Loving it.

Yes, definitely. Download link for the extra libs? I've tried Chrome and Opera with the standard distribution. Both are good but I am quite impressed with Opera (which I have used long ago). Will check out Slimjet too.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

amethyst wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:03 am

Download link for the extra libs?

Firstly - let me correct myself - the download is 3MB but the total lib size is more than that once expanded into the filesystem (hope that's not a dealbreaker...)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/k2tb2qej ... 2.pet/file

NOTE : This has been tested on Fossa64 9.5 Basic v7 (ootb with no other pets loaded)
(Most of these libs not required for the "Big-1" version)

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

greengeek wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:53 am
amethyst wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:03 am

Download link for the extra libs?

Firstly - let me correct myself - the download is 3MB but the total lib size is more than that once expanded into the filesystem (hope that's not a dealbreaker...)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/k2tb2qej ... 2.pet/file

NOTE : This has been tested on Fossa64 9.5 Basic v7 (ootb with no other pets loaded)
(Most of these libs not required for the "Big-1" version)

Thanks but I got the extra libs from ozsouth's chrome.pet, they all work now. Cheers.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Using Opera now. Very impressed with it and much lighter on resources than Firefox. Opera is a better option for older hardware. Tried the others too but like Opera best. Only irritation is that these portable browsers take an age to startup first time on my old laptop.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

amethyst wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:58 am

Using Opera now. Very impressed with it and much lighter on resources than Firefox. Opera is a better option for older hardware. Tried the others too but like Opera best. Only irritation is that these portable browsers take an age to startup first time on my old laptop.

Sometimes the startup delay with these browsers seems to be related to efforts the browser makes to hook up to a server or some sort of a "bus". If you start the browser using a terminal and using the ./LAUNCH method you may see messages indicating what the hold up is/was.
It is sometimes possible to add an extra lib or two to get past the timeouts and temporary hangups. (Depending what was causing it obviously...)

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

greengeek wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:53 am
amethyst wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:58 am

Sometimes the startup delay with these browsers seems to be related to efforts the browser makes to hook up to a server or some sort of a "bus". If you start the browser using a terminal and using the ./LAUNCH method you may see messages indicating what the hold up is/was.
It is sometimes possible to add an extra lib or two to get past the timeouts and temporary hangups. (Depending what was causing it obviously...)

But if there is some holdup at startup wouldn't that be evident every single time you start the browser (which isn't the case)?

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Request for OSMO personal organizer package for this basic version. Thanks.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

amethyst wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:08 am

But if there is some holdup at startup wouldn't that be evident every single time you start the browser (which isn't the case)?

I get the feeling that the browsers initially spend quite a bit of time exploring the capabilities of the hardware and i guess they make a config file dependent on what works and what doesn't. Once that process is over the next run is much quicker to start.
(In my case I get the slow start after every boot because it's always a pristine boot without anything saved from last run)

I am impressed with the very quick start up of Dissenter browser though - noticeably quicker than any of the others.

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@amethyst - try (at own risk) osmo .pet below. Briefly tested, OK in latest test ver of bas. I'm working on something around 257mb.

Attachments
osmo-fl.pet
personal organiser
(470.93 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
Last edited by ozsouth on Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

ozsouth wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:10 pm

@amethyst - try (at own risk) osmo .pet below. Briefly tested, OK in latest test ver of bas. I'm working on something around 257mb.

Cool, thanks a lot. I thought it was going to be a witch hunt for missing dependencies. Now my Fossa Basic is complete with applications in every category. My whole base sfs (except the kernel) is 145MB and I have a small adrv of about 10MB with small installations and config savings. Quite impressive.
The only thing I want to use and can't get to work properly with my base version is pEqualizer although the one I made seems to be working (loads and the slide settings move but the sound is not affected). I now only have this basic version and Bionic32 on this machine. Running beautifully with Opera.

Last edited by amethyst on Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ozsouth

Fossa64-bas - Version 8

Post by ozsouth »

Last edited by ozsouth on Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marv

Re: Fossa64-bas - Version 8

Post by Marv »

ozsouth wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:00 pm

Version 8 - probably last in series, released - see 1st post.

At Version 8, using my ydrv with LXDE, PCManFM, gnumeric, Osmo, gnome-mplayer, CUPS, full Evince, intel display driver, links to portables and profiles, and my sundry apps and customizations. Total boot directory size 190.6MB, runs like a wild hare. My daily for quite some time, hard to argue with perfection!

Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (94.54 KiB) Viewed 3142 times

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Exploring Iron browser with this Puppy. Wow, that browser is FAST!!!

ozsouth

Fossa64-bas - version 9

Post by ozsouth »

Version 9 - probably last in series, released - see 1st post.

Return to “Re-masters”