Thanked, Been thanked: I don't want either one

Ideas and discussion

superhik

Thanked, Been thanked: I don't want either one

Post by superhik »

I see that there are two items attached on each forum member's profile.

Code: Select all

Kind of a carbon currency or a Chinese social credits.

Can I opt out of having those "thanked" currencies displayed?

Stealing from the poor to give to the rich!

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Thanked, been thanked: I don't want either one

Post by rockedge »

I use the Thank feature also to mark a post so I can return to it.

No I won't modify the entire web site code to opt you out. If I have to be tracked, counted, analyzed and categorized since birth by religion, governments, schools and corporations.....quantified even by Santa Claus if good or bad..........

then even an attempt by me to limit the "Thanks" feature in any way is out of the question and my advice is to ignore it and if jealousy or the feeling of being measured is in anyway is stressful then don't look at it too closely :thumbup2:

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

My oppinion:

For me "Thanks" in not only thanks, it refers to...

I owe you one.
I’m in debt to you.
Thanks for your interest.
Thanks for being such a great linux user.
This means a lot for me.
Thanks for your support.
I’m so grateful for your help.
I really appreciate what you’ve done for me.

and much more....

It is only a way to valorate the time this user dedicated to answer a question, a stupid question for some users, but a real important one your you, so... THANKS

(there is no necessity to say that word, but it is the best way to valorate others help)

~

F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI ====> https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/

puppy_apprentice

Post by puppy_apprentice »

Create a new bookmark in your browser, e.g. Hide Thank You, and use this code as the address:

javascript:(function(){dd=document.querySelectorAll(".profile-posts");dd.forEach(function(el){el.style.display="none";})})();

Every time you use this bookmark on Puppy forum thanks will gone.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@superhik :-

superhik wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:20 am

I see that there are two items attached on each forum member's profile.

Kind of a carbon currency or a Chinese social credits.

Can I opt out of having those "thanked" currencies displayed?

'Kayyy... Any particular reason why?

Blimey. Even on a small, niche forum such as ours, we STILL have folks that want to be as 'anonymous' as possible..?

Of course, there's nothing to stop you from closing your account and bidding us:-

"Adios"....."Arrivederci"....."Tschüss"....."Bonsoir"....."Nice seeing ya!".....etc, etc.

It's your choice, after all, but it DOES seem awfully pernickety & "fussy", to say the least. (Am I the only one who thinks this?)

Mike. :|

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@superhik

In the real world if someone helps you out in whatever way, it is common politeness to say "thank you" -

So what is the difference in the virtual world? -

The recipient of a thank you then knows that the effort put in was worth the while and appreciated, and is prepared to help again if needed -

If I were to spend a decent amount of time in finding the answer to someone's problem and not receive some form of acknowledgment, then I would be pretty pi**ed off -

There have been many times I have received help from Forum members, and I have always acknowledged that help -

One of the few free things in life is to say "Please" and "Thank you". Use them -

If it bothers you that much then find a non-thanking forum to use -

Best regards

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

BionicPup32+28 19.03 - Linux 4.9.163 - lxpup - 32-pae [i686] - (UPup Bionic Beaver)
Frugal Install - Internal HDD - Gateway MX8716b - HDD 120GB - RAM 2GB

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

some1

Post by some1 »

@superhik: Does puppy_apprentice's suggestion suit you?

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

The main reason, that you can simply click on the thank you icon, to have it display on the bottom of someones post, is to provide an easy way to do this! :thumbup:

You do not have to make a thank you post, which does add to the amount of space used by the Puppy forum server.
Plus it takes time to make a post. :thumbdown:
A simple click on the thank you icon, does what you wanted to do, and is fast and simple!

Rockedge is paying for the space this forum uses.

So anything that helps to not use up this space, but still provide the required message, is good for the bottom line cost, of providing the Puppy forum

Totally agree with this:

pp4mnklinux wrote:

For me "Thanks" in not only thanks, it refers to...

I owe you one.
I’m in debt to you.
Thanks for your interest.
Thanks for being such a great linux user.
This means a lot for me.
Thanks for your support.
I’m so grateful for your help.
I really appreciate what you’ve done for me.

and much more....

It is only a way to valorate the time this user dedicated to answer a question, a stupid question for some users, but a real important one your you, so... THANKS

(there is no necessity to say that word, but it is the best way to valorate others help)

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

wiak

Post by wiak »

Not that I care about this matter one way or the other, but seems to be two matters concerned:

1. When anyone thanks someone for a post, that thank you appears at the foot of the post when user is logged in. That would be enough to indicate someone was thankful.

2. However, there is also what does come across to me as a matter of status (showing how well a person is liked or thanked) and that is in the profile section re: how many times they've given thanks and how many times they have been thanked. Since this second mechanism may encourage helpful behaviour from some members, that's more important I feel than any jealousy that will likely occur for sure from time to time. Not a big deal though either way.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

ozsouth

Re: Thanked, Been thanked: I don't want either one

Post by ozsouth »

I agree, thanks at foot of message is sufficient. If it makes things easier for @rockedge, could remove 'scoreboard'.

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi @ozsouth , first of all, I absolutely respect your oppinion, so I hope you consider mine the same way... :thumbup2:

I consider include this info /thanks-being thanked/ as something important for users, and as and example, I could mention the first post that created this "discussion"

When I read the first post I was "shocked", because I never thought about that, and I never saw what reason can make it born. Then I take a look at the right side, and all my thoughts were cleared, hahaha.

There are people really bored, :oops: (and the easiest way to be at the top is not to go up but make the rest go down... and this is know as "windows users way of thinking" jaja)

related with this. some of you mentioned this comments can mute into a "competition" to be the most voted or the most valorated user at this forum. I don't know about you, but I am not a "teenager" and this competition or jealously phase, its over for me, haha

Have a nice day u all.- CHEERS.

~

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

It's common decency and you most likely will get help from that person (the helper) again.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

I gave superhik a thank you. Come guys, give him a thank you so he feels better. Thank him for his first post. :thumbup:

Grey

Post by Grey »

As a person who still remembers something about communism :) ... here's the deal. Even in the Soviet collective farm (where everyone was equal) it was impossible to go into the village Council building and offer something. It was necessary to be a leader of production or a champion of harvesting.

Therefore, the offer is as follows. The instigator of the topic scores 300-500 points and gets the right to vote ;)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Grey wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:22 am

As a person who still remembers something about communism :) ... here's the deal. Even in the Soviet collective farm (where everyone was equal) it was impossible to go into the village Council building and offer something. It was necessary to be a leader of production or a champion of harvesting.

Therefore, the offer is as follows. The instigator of the topic scores 300-500 points and gets the right to vote ;)

Give the topic creator a thank you. Thanks.

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

"Therefore, the offer is as follows. The instigator of the topic scores 300-500 points and gets the right to vote ;)"

haha... not exactly.

When I read something very "stupid" or out of context, I consider two options:

1.- It's a newbie and I must answer this as a newbie question.

2.- It's an expert and he is using IRONY or a comment that must be not literally understood.

It's not to consider the user better or worse, it is to understand the subjective values attached to a written message.....

AND OF COURSE this points never mean that the question is not important .... ALL QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ARE IMPORTANT because:

"We are here, We are linux, what one knows We all knows, what one learns We all learns" (It is easy, isn't it? )

------------------------------------ EDITED --------------------------------------

Please, take a look at how many times this included image has been seen (10000 times) so it can make you think my post must be really interesting because it is viral, isn't it ?

"Thanks" can't be modified by users, :D

~

Grey

Post by Grey »

By the way, pay attention to the rate at which the number of views of this topic is growing :) In 10 minutes from 6XXX to 10XXX. Perhaps due to the renaming of the theme, or perhaps "counter cheating". Or maybe many people just have nothing to do on Saturday :)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

wiak

Post by wiak »

ozsouth wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:54 am

I agree, thanks at foot of message is sufficient. If it makes things easier for @rockedge, could remove 'scoreboard'.

I think the more interesting statistic can be calculated, but isn't actually stated: the ratio of thanks_given/thanks_received. I'm pretty low on that one (currently 38/588 = 0.0646 to 3 significant figures...), because I'm not over crazy about the mechanism to be honest, but I no longer care about it one way or the other.

Yes, I do think the thread is popular cos bored during Saturday... and maybe we have thought about this matter long time, but never bothered commenting about it.

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Haha, what is statistic? The easiest way of telling something false using something true.

I learnt this years ago (student times) and it works nowadays.

~

Grey

Post by Grey »

pp4mnklinux wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:14 am

Haha, what is statistic? The easiest way of telling something false using something true.

Well, in Russia, in almost any conversation on the street about statistics, you will definitely hear the phrase: "There are three types of lies. Ordinary lies, blatant(or monstrous) lies and... statistics" ;)

wiak

Post by wiak »

wiak wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:09 am

I think the more interesting statistic can be calculated, but isn't actually stated: the ratio of thanks_given/thanks_received. I'm pretty low on that one (currently 38/588 = 0.0646 to 3 significant figures...)

It could be argued that that ratio "thanks_given/thanks_received" is the 'rudeness' factor. i.e. a measure of rudeness, where a lower value means "higher rudeness". However, if I was to suggest that then I am being unkind to myself, and though I have a low value there are a few forum members who have an even lower value for that ratio. Then again I could instead argue that it is more like a meditation factor (meditation, not medication) where 0 is absolute peacefulness and oneness with the universe...

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

The number of posts a person has made is the important figure to me.

The bigger the number, hopefully indicates they have better understanding of Puppy Linux.

If their post is showing they have posted only 3 or 4 times.

That is a good indication they just started using Puppy.

Keeping track of how many times you thanked someone or someone thanked you, is useless information to me :shock: :roll: :thumbdown: :twisted: :) ;)

Forum Global Moderator

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I think I will start leaving this:
:D :lol:

Screenshot 2023-07-01 at 08-39-45 funny thank you picture - Google Search.png
Screenshot 2023-07-01 at 08-39-45 funny thank you picture - Google Search.png (293.08 KiB) Viewed 688 times

Forum Global Moderator

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I could take a look at the extension's code and see about an alteration. But if a change is more involved I don't have the time to invest in doing the modifications needed to alter the extension's output.

Removing it would be easier.

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@rockedge - whatever is easiest for you. We don't need to add to your workload. Thanks for all you do!

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Completely agree, don't waste time with this. Everybody has better things to do.

Enjoy the day and don't worry about these things.

Cheers.

~

keniv

Post by keniv »

Like others here I have "thanked" other forum members for the help they have given me in answering my posts. I find it useful if used in moderation. I have also thanked people in my posts. I think it is a simple courtesy. I also think it is useful to be able to thank somebody for their post even if you don't have an immeadiate reply to that post.
@rockedge

I could take a look at the extension's code and see about an alteration. But if a change is more involved I don't have the time to invest in doing the modifications needed to alter the extension's output.

Frankly I don't think you should waste time and effort on this.

Removing it would be easier.

I would vote not to remove "thanks_given/thanks_received" from the forum.

Regards,

Ken.

Grey

Post by Grey »

pp4mnklinux wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:09 pm

picture

A good hidden Firefox ad & product placement :P In principle, foxes belong to the Canidae family (dogs). But Chromium is better :)

Marv

Post by Marv »

keniv wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:55 pm

Like others here I have "thanked" other forum members for the help they have given me in answering my posts. I find it useful if used in moderation. I have also thanked people in my posts. I think it is a simple courtesy. I also think it is useful to be able to thank somebody for their post even if you don't have an immeadiate reply to that post.

Regards,

Ken.

Like keniv, I also sometimes use 'thanks' as a way of signifying that I have read the contents of a post and found it useful even if the resultant action doesn't warrant a follow-on post. Basically, a "got it" signal to the poster. I don't see or use it as a social credit score and think it has value. Keep it.

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

backi

Post by backi »

Like keniv, I also sometimes use 'thanks' as a way of signifying that I have read the contents of a post and found it useful even if the resultant action doesn't warrant a follow-on post. Basically, a "got it" signal to the poster. I don't see or use it as a social credit score and think it has value. Keep it.

So i do.

Agree......

Return to “Forum Organization & Structure Council”