Is Seamonkey buggy?

Post here if you feel others can duplicate your so discovered "bug"

Moderator: Forum moderators

oui

Is Seamonkey buggy?

Post by oui »

Hi
In my eyes, the real Mozilla is Seamonkey. I use Mozilla as long as Puppy linux. Short time after Puppy linux versions above 1. did appear, BK did introduce the red monster suite in Puppy linux and he did always and always do that again until in the last months.
but it seems he also did abandon Seamonkey in the last time. All did abandon Seamonkey in the last times since more or lest time.
It seems, I am one of the last continuing to use Pale Moon or Seamonkey.

And I must admit and say:
I have great difficulties now in Seamonkey itself (ver. 2.53.16 i386): crash in certain pages the major bike forum in German, the major German email provider, ebay Kleinanzeigen etc.).

But ...

... I hate really Firefox! For me is Firefox a discret but pure commercial matter and it is a real war for money! Firefox is monopolist, MORE THAN MICROSOFT itself as Firefox is in all systems (Windows, Android, Apple, and Linux were it always came after the Mozilla suite).

If Seamonkey in fact desappear (Pale Mone is already dead in 32 bit!) and ALL other Mozilla derivative on ALL FIELDS are already dead, FIREFOX did eliminate ALL COMPETITORS FROM THE OWN FAMILIE!

Are actual last versions of Seamonkey really buggy or not?

How see the Puppy community the future of internet freedom?

:welcome: colonialism in Software!

oui

Re: Mozilla Bug

Post by oui »

As I am cyclist (1100 km/month each, I and my wife), are cycle way maps for me very important.

We use more than perhaps usual software in that field and Seamonkey is especially very good adapted for maps as you can easily turn all bars at the head and bottom off and use all the surface of the window for that offered graphic surface! This allows for ex. to have a max. overview at best zoom factor (important for ex. to see the street names appearing only in high zoom factors! And without street or locality names is a map often not usable for cyclists...).

This is important for all internet user from graphic applications requiring details and precision.

And as BK did do all the time in the past for his generous among of publications in the web, thank you again, Barry, I use intensively the wysiwyg HTML-editor of Seamonkey. I don't find some real equivalent under such a small size (25 y. ago, it were a extremely small browser-editor from Chinese, later a Mozilla HTML editor separate from Browser (it can some times continue to be installed with old Puppies. But a lot of dependencies are not enough in the new versions and creates eventually conflicts with the principal installation!

I also use frequently special geographic applications, stand alone from browser, especially Marble-QT and Merkaartor, for what concerns Linux (as Google app's as package did become rare in the last years).

So did I note (as those app's uses dependencies usual in KDE) that KONQUEROR is now again a very good browser and under such situations (if Marble, and Merkaartor, and probably other applications more) a browser with low size and excellent usage of harddisk / size of ISO! It offers of course the own old goodies of all Konquerors in the past (for ex. usable as files and trees browser).

Puppy packages for Konqueror?

norgo

Re: Is Seamonkey buggy?

Post by norgo »

@oui
More and more websites are using tons of javascript crap.
Seamonkey doesn't contain the entire js functionality and that's why some websites doesn't work in seamonkey.
I wouldn't call it bug because js is not a browser requirement.
Unfortunately without js a lot of websites won't work.
SLK64 contains seamonkey 2.53.16 (compiled from source, without pulseaudio).

To view maps in a browser is possible of course but no fun.
I'm using the application gpxsee for this. Only for information if you want to try.

oui

Post by oui »

Hi Norgo
I would be really happy if it would be only that.
But: Why does Konqueror work and not Seamonkey? You are German and Konqueror came with the KDE (and Star-Office = OpenOffice, and Java itself, Sun, a company from München, Germany, regist. in USA, that is all, and Suse, the absolutely most older Linux distro yet existent), the KDE was the product of an university but not of an American University. It was the university of Tübingen near Stuttgart in Germany.
It seems that business world in USA dismount actually all the good things we did made for all the world on this planet?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

oui wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:49 pm

If Seamonkey in fact desappear (Pale Moon is already dead in 32 bit!) and ALL other Mozilla derivative on ALL FIELDS are already dead, FIREFOX did eliminate ALL COMPETITORS FROM THE OWN FAMILIE!

@oui :-

Hm. You're not a regular visitor, are you? Certainly not as often as you used to be, I believe. Anyways...

If you keep half-an-eye on what happens here on the forum, you would know that 32-bit builds are still available of current releases of Pale Moon.......although these ARE a "third-party" build, from a guy called Steve Pusser. I admit, they're NOT "official". I use these in a self-contained, 'Puppy'-portable build, and try to keep them up-to-date as much as possible.

You can get a 32-bit build of Pale Moon. Just NOT from the Pale Moon website.

Norgo IS right. Javascript may make the web more interesting these days, but it also clogs it up to hell and back!

(*shrug*)

Mike. :roll:

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

oui

Post by oui »

ah! mike, I am here at the Puppy community since 2004. Persons as you passing from the subject to people with backbiting, were legion! The subject was the credibility losses of the Mozilla suite, not your credibility losses or mine! Poor person... :thumbdown:

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@oui For some reason I can't understand the English you've written Sol man vielleicht versuchen in Deutsch zu schreiben.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

rockedge wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:15 pm

@oui For some reason I can't understand the English you've written Sol man vielleicht versuchen in Deutsch zu schreiben.

Well, I can't understand why you can't understand what @oui wrote.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

fredx181 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:27 pm

sure thing Fred.......what does this mean? -> "Persons as you passing from the subject to people with backbiting, were legion!"

To me that sentence that makes no sense when read literally as in using English grammar rules. Or should I take a stab at an interpretation? And assume what it's supposed to mean?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

rockedge wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:23 pm
fredx181 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:27 pm

sure thing Fred.......what does this mean? -> "Persons as you passing from the subject to people with backbiting, were legion!"

To me that sentence that makes no sense when read literally as in using English grammar rules. Or should I take a stab at an interpretation? And assume what it's supposed to mean?

It's obvious that @oui is not happy with Mike's way of replying, I'd say, and BTW I can imagine that, there's no need for the aggressive (under)tone in Mike's posting IMO.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@fredx181 :-

Sorry if you feel the reply was "aggressive", Fred. It certainly wasn't intended to come across that way, and I'm willing to concede it could easily be interpreted as such.

I know oui is one of the community's longest-serving members, but in all the years I've been here I've never been able to make head nor tail of a single thing he's posted. I appreciate English is not his first language - I think he speaks both French & German, doesn't he? - yet every post he's ever made always sounds to me like it's a litany of complaints about something or other...

(*shrug*)

Maybe it IS simply getting lost in the translation. It was a bad day when I posted.....and when I have "bad" days, I KNOW I really shouldn't post. :oops:

I've edited the post in question so it reads less "aggressively". (Hopefully.)

Mike. :|

oui

Post by oui »

Thank you very much fred/

oui wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:13 pm

ah! mike, I am here at the Puppy community since 2004. Persons as you passing from the subject to people with backbiting, were legion! The subject was the credibility losses of the Mozilla suite, not your credibility losses or mine! Poor person... :thumbdown:

rockedge wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:15 pm

yes, I can understand you! The fat part is from Google. And I did understand myself Google so, that there would be a word backbiting ('zurückbeissend' in German), persons having no arguments more but bitting back as no arguments :mrgreen: (I really rarely use Google translations: I have my own sub selection of English terms and use also directly French, my mother tongue, German is not my mother tongue at all, or German as I live for long long time in Germany. A really fine discussion, ok, but in (metropolitan) French! For other, I am not able! The best third language I know is Russian but in the years I did forget a lot...).

oui

Post by oui »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:26 pm

@fredx181 :-

Sorry if you feel the reply was "aggressive", Fred. It certainly wasn't intended to come across that way, and I'm willing to concede it could easily be interpreted as such.

I know oui is one of the community's longest-serving members, but in all the years I've been here I've never been able to make head nor tail of a single thing he's posted. I appreciate English is not his first language - I think he speaks both French & German, doesn't he? - yet every post he's ever made always sounds to me like it's a litany of complaints about something or other...

(*shrug*)

Maybe it IS simply getting lost in the translation. It was a bad day when I posted.....and when I have "bad" days, I KNOW I really shouldn't post. :oops:

I've edited the post in question so it reads less "aggressively". (Hopefully.)

Mike. :|

Thank you Mike! :thumbup2:

oui

Post by oui »

In the time gone, I did continue my experiences with Seamonkey and other browsers. It is so, I am actually needing to do that, not a new many of me: me computer was dead 2..3 weeks ago...

so I have to reinstall!

reinstall what? :idea:

simply use Puppy :welcome:

ok! yes, I understand...

first problem: I never use Windows since over 20 years

excepted printing (I print rarely somewhat out: land map, photographies, some special good picture).

my exceptionally good and cheap printer HP 150a, after years, making cheap best print outs from photographies, is not in cups filters (same problem with the MAC from my wife!).

Puppy did all the time (I have the printer already a lot of years) not help. The first what I test, testing a new Puppy, is, of course, exactly that :idea:

so I have now to live again with Windows (email an me with the picture -> print out in windows. In windows, that printer is ALWAYS directly known. Absolutely nothing to do :mrgreen: ...).

Yes, I know: there are sometime really HP150a in the cups filters ...
... but ...
... no one work!

so reinstall my newer PC with Puppy alone: I can forget it actually.

and same thing in divers situations.

so continue to search the same thing all the time:

the really puppyist installation (so small as possible) with actual stuff as old stuff will be more and more refused outside home.

To be puppyist is a kind of modern life: Barry did publish not only Puppy but different other very pertinent modes of life (his old eve drawing app, divers highly interesting reports on life in the nature with minimalist equipement)!

oui

Post by oui »

I did (as I am searching a good small distro :mrgreen: ) today as each day since 2..3 weeks at distrowatch.com.

would "puppy" continue to cooperate with BK, it would be at place 9.

please thing about that!

we have to do with a community killing herself :welcome: . The initiator of the community continue to have success at the side of his old community! If the actions of the community would be OK, it was not really needing he get so much success with his experimentations (not being only experimentations any more: it is a new distro with new definition).

the main plateform he did give to a staf of guies a lot of years ago can't grow: all new collaborators will make angry :lol: :twisted: . look for josejp2424, and not only him - a complete GREAT staff of collaborators because only less than an half dozen of vain guies can't accept to return to the ideas one side of the initial Puppy and other side of Linux!
They continue to tinker with their disturbing small windows (which do not disappear themselves) and their backup files, and their holiness, Woff, which creates giant files [ils continuent à bricoler avec leurs petites fenêtres dérangeantes (qui ne disparaissent pas d'elles même) et leurs fichiers de sauvegarde, et, leur sainteté, Woff, qui crée des fichiers géants...] (other Linuxes have REGULAR analog sizes now as Puppy! For ex. Star Linux (Devuan deriv., also known as Crowz) has his actual stable at 710 MB ISO with integr. Calamares installer. You don't need some *.devx other that and are full in the limits of Devuan = Debian without systemd!)

why are TWENTY YEARS later such idiotic announcements «you can save ...», «will you save...», «I am the litte Jacob of the distros...» always in use? To show as or how good the dicatators of the distro are? Such announcement are 20 years later only a loss of efficiency and time for the thousand of old users knowing Puppy since 20 years! That is exact the role of a menu! Or of a page "about ..."!

norgo

Post by norgo »

Today's seamonkey test with version 2.53.18 beta 1 pre brings me the hope back.
For a long time I couldn't detect any kind of improvement.
But version 2.53.18 has adapted and is now able to show java script sites much better as before.
Here an example:

2.53.16.jpg
2.53.16.jpg (16.77 KiB) Viewed 839 times
2.53.18.jpg
2.53.18.jpg (24 KiB) Viewed 839 times
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

oui wrote:

would "puppy" continue to cooperate with BK, it would be at place 9

Barry retired from Puppy Linux and focuses on the EasyOS project as he himself has said and written.

Some things from the past are in the past and that's it.

I have the latest Seamonkey going in F96-CE_4 and will try it out as a main browser.

Screenshot(50).jpg
Screenshot(50).jpg (56.26 KiB) Viewed 823 times
jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

oui wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:59 pm

(other Linuxes have REGULAR analog sizes now as Puppy! For ex. Star Linux (Devuan deriv., also known as Crowz) has his actual stable at 710 MB ISO with integr. Calamares installer. You don't need some *.devx other that and are full in the limits of Devuan = Debian without systemd!)

Here is an idea.

Since you like researching these small distros so much, why not you download Star Linux and check what's inside? Boot it up, and see if that 710MB Star Linux can do half of what Puppy does? Well it doesn't have to be Star Linux, it can be others too. What about Adelie Linux? It's download is only 650MB, oh wow, that's even better isn't it! Why don't you download that too, boots it up, and then report back?

Tell us about your experience of using it, inquiring mind wants to know! 8-)

oui

Post by oui »

hm, Jamesbond, really!

I did have an other meaning about you until now! Please, understand:

The matter is Puppy!

My (new! Until now, I did not have Windows since 20 years any more but I must come back because my printer, or better, because linux developpers don't look any more if Linux continue to be up to date :mrgreen: . You can wait 10 years or a life long some Linux upgrades being stand of the reallity in the world and they will never come!) grub menu includes:

- ONE full install (actually Star Linux 64 upgrad and based on Devuan Daedalus = SID from Devuan)
- it's usual seciond entry
- windows
- April64
- Dpup Buster 32 bit from josejp2424
- Triton 32 bit (French distro, from long time puppyist and developper Petihar, initially based on Easy OS, see https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=7757 . Hm?!? EasyOS and 32 bit?!?)

No real Puppy? Yes, it is so! Why?

Although I belong a to powerfull PC for Puppy (i7 with 7 cores, 8 GB / 1 TB) I will mark my opposition to the idiotic idea to limit Puppy now to the 64 bit BUSINESS! Yes, it is a matter of business: Billions of PC continue to be present in the world and the most can't run modern applications in 64 bit (only, perhaps and sometimes,l in April 64 :welcome: !). Puppy is actually the "monster in the world of small OS's!" making old computers dead!

So I have April64 and use it correctly often with good browsers: brave browser PET starts well in April and will on all sites well accept!

Did you forget that, dear Jamesbond? The actual kings of the Puppy community did turn their jacket from perhaps billion users of 32 bit and old and cheap 64 bit hardware :evil: . I have solidarity with those persons. And I find it is often completely enough: an (extremly) old machine only to be connected, but, why not so good as possible :shock: :thumbup2: ?

Yes, the poor man linux Star linux alias Crowz did exist hat the same time in 32 as well as in 64 bit. And a lot of other distro's like gnuinos, refracta, etc (there are now 2 lines in Linux! The progressive Devuan line for the people, and the redhat/suse/etc, all great officially commercial, lines for the top! Debian will soon regret to have killed a lot of developements! And ubuntu is the cheap stuff for the OEM's from new cheap hardware. Arch? Can you forget: to much restrictions and intern war with a lot of user willing to participate more to the definition of the scope offered!)

But real Puppyist's like and prefer ubuntu and his firefox, the maried pair of not commercial stuff making money with no commercial business... No, no, no, stop! Slackware continue to be present! In 32 bit? really?

I did protest any month ago at emabuntüs because the same reason. Emabuntüs is a big distro. To big in my sens for old hardware (you need more than 10 GO installed in 32 and 64 bit). It is a surprise as Emabuntüs is a distro dedicated for really extremly poor persons living from nothing. But Emabuntüs has the goal to also permit good conditions to educate the people, espec. the children, using the distro. Ok! I accept that logic. The master of Emabuntüs and most active contributor, Patrick, of it's internet forum did understand the error. The 32 bit version did return to distrowatch.com!
Yes, to do that, it did need to adapt his sources. Ubuntu is only a hidden commercial site!

(excuse me: I have not my old computer now but be hosted and have no spell checking :o actually!)

oui

Post by oui »

Remaking my next PC fit (about the same one, but only 4 core. But it was so: it is a real "transformer" with tablett and touch screen, completely turnable (so it is build to work also completely closed! That is important for me as the Triton 32 from Petihar give me a good functionable French TV. But the PC connected with the TV screen can't stay closed near the TV screen. And the offered new notebooks/tabletts to do that are in fact rare today or terribly expensive) I use Puppy's and search for the best small linux in 32 bit :mrgreen:

As it is so offered, I did test Star linux alias Crowz.

It remember me very strong to an other small distro started 20 years ago as Puppy with an other symbol: a little cat, not a big dog. That distro, the last developper was a German speaking Swiss man but did publish all in English, did build his distro with Ubuntu. In that last phase of the development, the result was a very little full installation full compatible with the Ubuntu depositories. No needing to know where do I now find the adequate *.pup or *.pet: it was the full depository from Ubuntu!

It is so with Star linux. It's depository is Devuan stable (and I did upgrade it for me to Devuan Daedalus = SID).

As it is small distro, it comes with Gnome Web alias epiphany-browser.

Epiphany is 130 MB "small" as Firefox is 240 MB "big". And if you have Epiphany, you also have the base for Luakit and sometimes Midori as interessant alternatives for different handling with only a few MB more stuff: The base, webkit, is the same, and often (but note always) the same version of webkit and it's dependencies.

After my tests, I must say:

Epiphany does ALL what I am awaiting from my browser :mrgreen: . Why Firefox (or Seamonkey) :welcome: ?

But...

... Puppy did never like webkit's derivates!

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

I was able to shrink Vanilla Dpup from ~800 MB to <300 MB, quite easily.

But:
1) Boot times and application start times are much worse, because decompression takes more time
2) CPU usage is higher, because often, the traditional Puppy way of doing things is inefficient (for example, netmon_wce polls every 10s, while non-Puppy alternatives get notified when internet connectivity is lost)
3) RAM usage is higher, because the packages that reduce RAM consumption had to be removed :)
4) Browsers eat CPU, eat RAM and drain the battery, because GPU-accelerated video decoding is unsupported until the user installs the needed drivers (and most users probably don't do that)
5) Some hardware doesn't work out-of-the-box, because some firmware (most notably, AMD GPU firmware) had to be removed (selection of preinstalled firmware is still 2-3x bigger than what you'd find in "official" Puppy)
6) The only package manager is PPM, which is extremely slow and unreliable, and nobody maintains it: Python and other "big" packages needed by apt or Synaptic had to be removed
7) No documentation: man pages are not included, so you can only rely on online documentation
8) No translations: English only
9) No extra fonts: no emojis, no special characters, no CJK characters
10) Web browsing is slower, because there's no DNS cache and no ad blocking

You can install Epiphany and pretty much any other application in the Debian repos (assuming PPM doesn't fail to install it), but you'll end up with a distro much slower and heavier than the normal and "bloated" 800 MB ISO.

This feature set is equivalent to what you'd find in an "official" Puppy release, built the traditional way. If you truly believe that adhering to this tradition is the way to make Puppy better, I don't have much else to say.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

This browser has gone downhill at a great speed over the last few years. Just downloaded the latest version. Took me 5 minutes to realise it's rubbish. Sluggish, etc. A real pity, it was good many years ago.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

In Fossapup64 9.5 fully updated by Quickpet -> Fossapup updates

I downloaded the latest version of Seamonkey from here:
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.53.17b1

Got the linux x86-64 version.

Decompressed the seamonkey-2.53.17b1.en-us.linux-x86-64.tar.bz2 package

Placed the resulting seamonkey directory in /opt/

Had to do the apulse thing to start it to have sound.

So I made this simple start script to use to sart seamonkey.
Placed it in /opt/seamonkey/
Just click on it to start.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec apulse /opt/seamonkey/seamonkey
start.gz
(47 Bytes) Downloaded 39 times

Remove fake .gz to turn it into the script file.

Needs to have a seamonkey.desktop file in /usr/share/applications
I need to make one. not included in the seamonkey package.
I am not seeing any of what amethyst is talking about.
But to really test what he is saying, would need to specifically go to web locations, he is using.

I was able to restore all my bookmarks from a backup file made in Pale Moon or Firefox.

So far I have tried:
This forum
YouTube
A few search engines

Woof-CE web site
Had to install the palefill add on to read it (same thing needed for Pale Moon)
https://martok.github.io/palefill/

Went to a few web sites I order stuff from. They seem to work.

Got a link to something not working for you?

There are a lot of settings that you can adjust in Seamonkey.

Note:
I am on a computer with an Intel i7 CPU, 32GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 Graphics.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

dimkr wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:46 am

You can install Epiphany and pretty much any other application in the Debian repos (assuming PPM doesn't fail to install it), but you'll end up with a distro much slower and heavier than the normal and "bloated" 800 MB ISO.

This feature set is equivalent to what you'd find in an "official" Puppy release, built the traditional way. If you truly believe that adhering to this tradition is the way to make Puppy better, I don't have much else to say.

Took me a few years to see it, but Dima does have a point.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again (and probably get castigated....again! :roll:)

This community has, for too long, in a "blinkered" & almost obsessive way, focused - with laser-like precision - on a single aspect of Puppy. The size of the ISO.

Huh? This doesn't tell you anything. Small ISO size doesn't equate to small size when in normal use. Everybody seems to conveniently overlook the fact that most ISOs, if written to disk or drive in the manner of a full install, will be approximately 3 times that size. I may be completely wrong, but doesn't that translate to the same kind of RAM being used by Puppy in 'frugal' mode?

---------------------------------

Take my current 'project'. I'm re-visiting my first-ever 64-bit Puppy - Tahrpup64 6.0.6 uefi. (Yes, I know it's horrendously out-of-date; this isn't any kind of recommendation, just an illustration.) ISO size = 286 MB. "Installed", in frugal mode to a sub-directory on my main SSD = approx 840 MB. Add the current size of the save-folder - 1544 MB (this includes the official Nvidia driver for the GT 710, and much stuff I never tried the first time around because 7 years ago it didn't yet exist).....we're looking at approximately 2.3 GB, fully decked-out. This probably won't change much from now on - it's already running far better than it did the first time, and is proving to be amazingly stable. I may upgrade the glibc, certs, dbus, etc.....but that'll be it.

Size-wise, I'm happy with that. :thumbup:

-----------------------------------------------

I admit there's more to it with Puppy, since having decompressed the ISO there's then further compressed files within, that need to be decompressed in their turn......and with the 'layering' stuff, I freely admit I don't fully understand where everything ends up going to. But I believe I'm right in postulating the following:-

• It's perfectly possible to have a larger ISO - using lower compression - which eventually takes up less space overall......as against a smaller ISO, using much higher compression, which ends up using more space overall.

Does this make sense to anybody else apart from me.......or do I have a strange way of looking at things? :D

-----------------------

@bigpup :-

As far as SeaMonkey goes, my specs are pretty similar; in my case a top-end 9th-gen Pentium 'Gold' quad-core, again 32 GB RAM, and discrete Nvidia GPU. I doubt we're going to see the issues Nic is getting, simply because we have far more in the way of 'grunt' & resources than he does....but it works fine for me, even though it's not one of my favourites.

(*shrug...*)

Mike. ;)

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

@mikewalsh
I think it's time that full installs of Puppy (especially on older machines) should be explored. It may just make for a better computing experience. BTW - Seamonkey works poor in comparison to Firefox on this machine. Seamonkey is poor, it's also very far behind the current Firefox version (the latest based on Firefox 91, I believe).

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

amethyst wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:45 am

@mikewalsh
I think it's time that full installs of Puppy (especially on older machines) should be explored. It may just make for a better computing experience.

@amethyst :-

Umm; yes, in your case - relatively low resources - it could well prove to be the better option. All you can do is try it out, and see what happens.

If you do.....let us know the outcome, yeah? The option has been there for years, although it's always been recommended against.....with the result that nobody has ever really reported their experiences.

Thanks.

Mike. ;)

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

In general Puppy operation.

Use pfix=nocopy in the boot menu entry, so the different Puppy sfs's do not get loaded into RAM.

That is if RAM usage is the issue.

that is basically the same as a full install operation and still keep the features of a frugal install.

Biggest affect should be taking a little longer to start a program selected from the menu.

But after starting the program, should run the same.

No matter what type pupmode Puppy is running in.
The Puppy operating system, all needed files and modules to operate the hardware, is always loaded into the operating section of RAM.
There is a lot of stuff that is never needed and never gets put into operating memory.
If the hardware is not in the computer, why would you need drivers, firmware, and kernel modules loaded to run it.

A way to think about the different Puppy SFS' loading into RAM.
They are stored in a much faster location to access them from.
Ask for something in one of the SFS's and it goes into operating RAM, very fast, compared to getting it from a much slower access location on a HD, Flash drive, CD, etc........

Forum Global Moderator

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

that is basically the same as a full install operation

No it's not. Ive been using pfix=nocopy since Noah's Ark.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

As far as operational memory usage and general memory usage.

Does not have the SFS's also in memory needing to control how that section of memory is being used.

If you want to split hairs.

A full install does not need to un-compress, to load something into operating part of ram.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But I look at what you give up with full install.
Slower to start and load programs into memory.
Cannot load and unload SFS packaged programs.
Cannot run in pupmode 13 and control saving to the save file/folder, because a full install does not have a save file/folder. Everything gets written as it is done.
Anything in the file system can be messed up and will stay that way.
A frugal or live install is using read only SFS files. Only stuff stored in the save can be messed up. Can still boot to working Puppy by not using the save.
Can only have one version of Puppy as a full install on a partition.
Has to be installed on a Linux format location.
A backup copy has to be a complete copy of the full install and that backup copy is much larger than a simple copy of the save.

Forum Global Moderator

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

bigpup wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:06 pm

As far as operational memory usage.

Incorrect.

Return to “Bug Reports”