PulseAudio --Is Changing its Default Source Possible ?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

PulseAudio --Is Changing its Default Source Possible ?

Post by mikeslr »

I've booted into Grey's Jammypup64-9.8. It uses a different GUI to manage Pulse-Audio. That spawned an idea and enabled me to combine two screenshots to better explain it:

Combined.png
Combined.png (57.15 KiB) Viewed 128 times

I don't know what 'Sink' is, nor how it differs from 'Source'. But what the screenshot shows is that Pulse-Audio recognizes and records both C-Media USB-Audio Device and Built-in Audio Analog Stereo. I don't know what C-Media USB-Audio Device is, or how it became a component of every operating system I run. But it will not generate sound under Pulse-Audio and every Puppy utilizing Pulse-Audio selects it as the Default Source.

As you can see from the Screenshot, the User can select which Sink to employ. But neither under Jammy64-9.8 nor any other Puppy is there a GUI to directly choose Source. Sometimes under some such Puppys and depending on the application involved Pulse-Audio's Play-back GUI enables me to select Built-in Audio Analog Stereo. That is NOT possible under several Web-browsers including Iron and Slimjet.

As Pulse-Audio is storing these designation somewhere and then using them, I wondered if there was someway to manually edit that record.

mistfire

Re: PulseAudio --Is Changing its Default Source Possible ?

Post by mistfire »

@mikeslr
Use pavucontrol for easier management of pulseaudio

mikeslr

Re: PulseAudio --Is Changing its Default Source Possible ?

Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, mistfire, for the suggestion. Grey's Jammypup64-9.8 included pavucontrol, but had set NoDisplay=true. I changed that to false. It was likely set to true as the PulseAudioSystemTray's options already provided the options pavucontrol offers. At any rate, pavucontrol does not provide any way to 'black-list' C-Media USB-Audio Device or to chose Built-in Audio Analog Stereo as the default source.

Return to “Users”