Fossa64-med - CLOSED

Moderator: Forum moderators

ozsouth

Fossa64-med - CLOSED

Post by ozsouth »

PROJECT CLOSED - see Fossa64-Basic.

When Fossapup64-9.5 was released, creator 666philb made the adrv removeable, leaving a skeleton system.
From that, I decided to try to make a small usable system for older pcs to have basic functionality, Fossa64-low v1-6.]
Fossa64-med v1 was a composite iso, with some fixes, and most of my .pets included, with medium compression. 272mb.

Last edited by ozsouth on Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:22 am, edited 24 times in total.
Marv

Re: Fossa64-med - a medium fossapup

Post by Marv »

Happily running med v1 with my very slightly trimmed LXDE/PCManFM/Personal Configs ydrv from FossaPup64 9.5. Your 'med' version is a slightly better fit with the apps I had in my ydrv than your 'min' version but both run well. A very welcome update and pruning of the already very good 9.5. Runs the current Brave, Slimjet, and ungoogled browsers portables perfectly and no other hitches or glitches noted. My usual frugal to SSD install on the 2nd gen I5 based laptops (circa 2012).

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

keniv

Post by keniv »

@ozsouth
Made a manual frugal install on an ssd booting with grub2. Have had a number of problems though.
1. I setup palemoon browser then got a message about updating the browser. Used Menu>Internet>Update Palemoon. Update went OK but lost all of the settings I'd made. I can't remember seening this happen before.
2. I cannot download to /root/ Downloads, /home/spot/Downloads or my usual /mnt/home/downloads64. All give me a message about not having the correct permissions and saying "permission denied".
3. I have tried to run Firefox-portable64 and Iron-portable64 provided by mikewalsh. Neither will run.
I also have a full copy of Fossapup95 64bit running without any of the above problems. While I expected some things might not work in this cut down version I didn't expect the browser problems outlined above. Any help you can give me with this would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Ken.

Edit: Found some info in the Fossa64Low_CLOSED thread on how to run Palemoon i.e. "To run as root, edit /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser & remove (just) run-as-spot, then save", however I would prefer to run as spot so still have a problem.

Marv

Post by Marv »

@keniv , Check the permissions of /home/spot and your other download locations ( I use /home/spot/Downloads in all my browsers/installs). You will probably find them set to root:root. Set them back to spot:spot recursively and your browsers should run as spot and your download problems should ease.

I just use a rightclick to properties>permissions in my PCManFM file manager to do the job. I have had the permissions on /home/spot revert enough times (not just in this pup) so I'm considering adding a line in my portable browser launch scripts to reset them on browser launch.

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@keniv - I just opened Palemoon, made settings, updated - still there, then downloaded - went to /home/spot/Downloads, all as expected. I'm very poor at writing instructions & it concerns me that if an experienced person like you would have trouble, newbies may be all at sea. I'll go over the steps slowly, to see where it messed up:
1. Palemoon v32.2.0 is in the adrv as standard in Fossa64-med. Clicking the icon runs it as spot.
2. With internet connected, open Palemoon via icon, accept as default browser & make settings, then close it.
3. From Internet menu, open Update Palemoon. To default browser question, I say no, but shouldn't matter.
- THIS opens Palemoon as root (essential for update). Script deletes root setting for security. Doesn't affect spot settings.
- If one WANTS to run as root, running Updater unnecessary & destroys root settings. So, I only run as root when update needed, then use spot.
4. Once Palemoon temporarily running as root, go to Help & Check Updates & accept update & restart, as asked by Palemoon.
5. Then close Palemoon & restart it from icon (runs as spot). Should have updated version, with spot settings intact.

Last edited by ozsouth on Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keniv

Post by keniv »

@ozsouth
Thanks for your instructions which I think I can follow and certainly explains why I lost my browser settings. I now have version 32.2.1 of Palemoon.
I have been starting Palemoon from the desktop icon. If I right click it and choose "edit item" I get "Clicking the item opens" /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser. On opening this file I see the following

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
sleep 0.5
exec run-as-spot /opt/palemoon64/palemoon "$@"

This confirms to me that I am running Palemoon as spot. However, if I go to Tools>Preferences>General>Downloads and click "Save files to" I can browse the "file system" and can click on /home/spot/Downloads then click on "Open" but the box after "Save files to" only shows the path asDownloads I find this confusing. Surely it should be /home/spot/Downloads. If I now try to download to this folder I get the permission errors I have previously described.

@Marv

Check the permissions of /home/spot and your other download locations

I tried this using the instructions you gave i.e.

I just use a rightclick to properties>permissions in my PCManFM file manager to do the job.

If I do this I get a box appearing showing /home/spot with with "Owner Group" shown as "spot,spot". If I look at permissions I see "Read" with all three boxes (owner, group, world) ticked, "Write" with owner only ticked and "Exec" with all three boxes ticked. I am now confused as to whether this is as it should be. I have tried in the past to run a browser as spot and something has always caused problems with it, however I don't remember not being able to download at all.

Again any help anyone can give that would get this working properly would be much appreciated.

Ken.

Marv

Post by Marv »

I don't use Palemoon but... Within /home/spot is there a directory named Downloads? If not, create it and set its' permissions to spot:spot. Then in Palemoon, see if you can set your saveto location to that directory. In the FossaPup64 9.5 install, there is a Downloads folder in /root with root:root permissions but I would think Palemoon would show the path if that one was selected as the saveto location. I change that one to a symlink to /home/spot/Downloads to lessen my confusion :?

I have a symlink (in LXDE) or shortcut (in JWM) to /home/spot/Downloads on my desktops and a line in my browser launch scripts that sets the permissions of any files or folders in that download location to root:root on exiting the browser. The directory itself retains spot:spot permissions. Saves a step in accessing downloaded stuff.

keniv

Post by keniv »

@Marv
Thanks for that. I now think we might be getting somewhere.

Within /home/spot is there a directory named Downloads?

Yes but it's permissions are root:root. I've tried to change the permissions to spot:spot by right clicking on the "Downloads" directory and selecting "permissions". I've tried each of the five possible choices from the drop down menu to change the permissions to spot:spot but none of these appear to change the permissions from root:root to spot:spot. I presume this has to be done from the command line. Can you tell me how to change the the permissions of this directory from root:root to spot:spot.

Thanks again for your help.

Ken.

Marv

Post by Marv »

Puzzling. Lets see the permissions running ls -l /home/spot in terminal, ie.

ls -l /home/spot
total 16
drwxr-xr-x 2 spot spot   80 Jun 27 07:47 Downloads
-rw-r--r-- 1 spot spot  580 Jun 23  2020 README.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 spot spot 9868 Jun 23  2020 spot.png

Either

chown -R spot:spot "/home/spot"
#

which is the line I use in my launchers, or

chown -R spot:spot "/home/spot/Downloads"
#

should do it

keniv

Post by keniv »

@Marv

chown -R spot:spot "/home/spot/Downloads"

The above code did it. The permissions for/home/spot/Downloads have changed from root:root to spot:spot. Please see below.

root# ls -l /home/spot
total 19
drwxr-xr-x 2 spot spot 4096 Jun 26 16:21 Desktop
drwxr-xr-x 2 spot spot 4096 Jun 27 18:47 Downloads
-rw-r--r-- 1 spot spot  580 Jun 23  2020 README.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 spot spot 9868 Jun 23  2020 spot.png

I can also download. Tried downloading from the link to mpv in the first post in this thread which I could not get to work previously and it downloaded to /home/spot/Downloads. I guess it's working properly now but we'll see.

Thanks again for your help.

Ken.

ozsouth

Re: Fossa64-med - CLOSED

Post by ozsouth »

Project Closed - See fossa64-bas.

Return to “Re-masters”