wallset - Video Wallpaper

Moderator: Forum moderators

stemsee

wallset - Video Wallpaper

Post by stemsee »

I stumbled across wallset on github https://github.com/terroo/wallset

This uses ffmpeg to create wallpaper images for 10 seconds from a video. And then lets you play them back smoothly as video wallpaper. I have it working, on fatdog ... but I only get a glimpse of it when logging out! It seems to be 'behind' my wallpaper. Maybe someone knows what i need to do to see that 'video plane'.

step

Re: wallset - Video Wallpaper

Post by step »

The wallset script you linked uses feh --bg-scale to set the Xorg background window. When fatdog starts the Desktop, it also sets the same window, by the same method, and when the desktop is fully started rox --pinboard creates a new window over the Xorg background. The desktop wallpaper is set on the pinboard. So you can see the Xorg background by exiting (meaning killing) rox, or possibly by starting rox without a pinboard -- but then no desktop icons, no drive icons... IIRC a while ago I tried setting a transparent image on the pinboard. I can't remember what happened.

stemsee

Post by stemsee »

Thanks @step
Yes, I tried rox options in a folder to set only panel and not pinboard, but it didn't seem to have any effect. I then tried killing rox.

Apparently wallset is compatible with openbox and pcmanfm, so I might remove rox and go with pcmanfm instead, if I can't sort rox out.

stemsee

Post by stemsee »

I uninstalled rox....and of course I rebooted to an empty space with no way to start anything!

So i booted without a savefile edited shinit and some other file changing a yes to a no for desktop manager startup. Then added a Startup script to start lxqt-panel and snapp. As a side note there seems to be no other file manager available for fatdog in the repository. Thunar is there but needs gtk2..... Also none in sfsmanager! That was alarming. Luckily snapp had sufficientt file navigation, and desktopfile management for me to do everything needed to load icewm.sfs, and then started gslapt to reinstall rox and copy back /aufs/pup_ro/usr/local/apps/Rox-filer-jun7....so retaking control of desktop back from rox, while still having rox present but behaving itself.

stemsee

Post by stemsee »

So to get wallset to work correctly in fatdog this needs to be done
1) edit /etc/rc.d/rc.Xdesktop
and comment out the contents of launch_desktop function.
The reason is that rox-desktop initiates the rox pinboard and panel in such a way that it cannot be disabled in user space using the rox rightclick options in a directory browser instance. This alone takes away control of the desktop from the user and cripples functionality of certain apps like feh --bg-scale, vlc as wallpaper, wallset, desktop-slideshow .... and probably others.
2) Then we no longer use rox pinboard we also don't want to use fatdog drive icons, which functions on the rox-pinboard. This is so hardcoded into fatdog, but at loss of user control and choice.

Code: Select all

launch_desktop() {
#if [ -e $USER_XDESKTOP ] && [ -x $USER_XDESKTOP ]; then
$USER_XDESKTOP &   # user desktop overrides system
#	elif [ -e $SYSTEM_XDESKTOP ] && [ -x $SYSTEM_XDESKTOP ]; then
#	$SYSTEM_XDESKTOP & # system desktop
#else
# default desktop: ROX desktop
#		INIT_DESKTOP=yes rox-desktop
#		if [ $USE_DRIVE_ICON ]; then
#fatdog-drive-icon-frontend.sh &
#		fi
#	fi
}

So now I have wallset working with jwm and openbox.

Otherwise we see wallpaper being set three times during X startup. Once by fatdog sysinit using feh, then by theme-manager and finally by rox pinboard ... if I am not mistaken.

step

Post by step »

stemsee wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:50 am

The reason is that rox-desktop initiates the rox pinboard and panel in such a way that it cannot be disabled in user space using the rox rightclick options in a directory browser instance.

ROX-Filer has a client-server architecture. The server is the first instance. All subsequent invocations of rox with or without options, via command-line or mouse clicks, are clients that ask the server to do something, such as opening a folder and showing its contents as icons, or changing the wallpaper on the pinboard, and so on.
It so happens that Fatdog64's first invocation of ROX-Filer includes the -p (--pinboard) option, as a design choice. If you don't want the pinboard you have two choices: either replace the first invocation of ROX-Filer dropping option -p (you seem to have found ways to do that by modifying files in rc.d) or kill and relaunch the first instance of ROX-Filer, pkill ROX-Filer will do (don't try if you don't know what to do next). Then you can restart ROX-Filer with other options.

This alone takes away control of the desktop from the user and cripples functionality of certain apps like feh --bg-scale, vlc as wallpaper, wallset, desktop-slideshow .... and probably others.

I don't think that it "takes control of the desktop away from the user". Your freedom to experiment with the Fatdog desktop demonstrates you are in control of your desktop with means and goals that fit your interests and purpose. Other Fatdog users are happy with the default desktop control built into Fatdog, which includes a default, static wallpaper, a wallpaper changer/slideshow, and mountable desktop drive icons.

2) Then we no longer use rox pinboard we also don't want to use fatdog drive icons, which functions on the rox-pinboard. This is so hardcoded into fatdog, but at loss of user control and choice.

launch_desktop() {
#else
#		fi
#	fi
}

The code you commented out above provides two hooks before it lanches rox-desktop. Use the hook. Instead of editing the core file above, you could, more simply and flexibly, write your own desktop launching code, and save it to file $USER_XDESKTOP - if it's for a single user only - or to $SYSTEM_XDESKTOP - if it's for all users. For instance, if you want to rox-desktop and no drive icons create an empty file $HOME/.fatdog/xdesktop and set its executable bit.

What replacement for desktop drive icons?

Otherwise we see wallpaper being set three times during X startup. Once by fatdog sysinit using feh, then by theme-manager and finally by rox pinboard ... if I am not mistaken.

I think in the basic Fatdog it's two times. Once by feh, for the system wallpaper, while the user's desktop is being finalized, then by rox pinboard for the user's wallpaper. If a user wanted to change the system wallpaper, they could do so by providing an image or a link to an image, as file $HOME/.fatdog/xinitrc-splash.

stemsee

Post by stemsee »

step wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:40 pm
stemsee wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:50 am

The reason is that rox-desktop initiates the rox pinboard and panel in such a way that it cannot be disabled in user space using the rox rightclick options in a directory browser instance.

ROX-Filer has a client-server architecture. The server is the first instance. All subsequent invocations of rox with or without options, via command-line or mouse clicks, are clients that ask the server to do something, such as opening a folder and showing its contents as icons, or changing the wallpaper on the pinboard, and so on.
It so happens that Fatdog64's first invocation of ROX-Filer includes the -p (--pinboard) option, as a design choice. If you don't want the pinboard you have two choices: either replace the first invocation of ROX-Filer dropping option -p (you seem to have found ways to do that by modifying files in rc.d) or kill and relaunch the first instance of ROX-Filer, pkill ROX-Filer will do (don't try if you don't know what to do next). Then you can restart ROX-Filer with other options.

This alone takes away control of the desktop from the user and cripples functionality of certain apps like feh --bg-scale, vlc as wallpaper, wallset, desktop-slideshow .... and probably others.

I don't think that it "takes control of the desktop away from the user". Your freedom to experiment with the Fatdog desktop demonstrates you are in control of your desktop with means and goals that fit your interests and purpose. Other Fatdog users are happy with the default desktop control built into Fatdog, which includes a default, static wallpaper, a wallpaper changer/slideshow, and mountable desktop drive icons.

launch_desktop() {
#else
#		fi
#	fi
}

The code you commented out above provides two hooks before it lanches rox-desktop. Use the hook. Instead of editing the core file above, you could, more simply and flexibly, write your own desktop launching code, and save it to file $USER_XDESKTOP - if it's for a single user only - or to $SYSTEM_XDESKTOP - if it's for all users. For instance, if you want to rox-desktop and no drive icons create an empty file $HOME/.fatdog/xdesktop and set its executable bit.

I think in the basic Fatdog it's two times. Once by feh, for the system wallpaper, while the user's desktop is being finalized, then by rox pinboard for the user's wallpaper. If a user wanted to change the system wallpaper, they could do so by providing an image or a link to an image, as file $HOME/.fatdog/xinitrc-splash.

1) Yes, I see ... my point is that the rox right-click options don't appear to work for switching off the pinboard. So it's not as easy as it should be. I tried quite a lot of things before my final solution.

2)

driveicons.png
driveicons.png (53.09 KiB) Viewed 772 times

rotate and snapp both provide some storage device visuals and mount unmount from yad --tray instances, no need for a pinboard. Currently lacks comprehensive information, but it would be nice if fatdog drive icons worked also with sit in lxqt-panel for instance.

3) /etc/X11/xinitrc-simple uses theme-manager to set /etc/X11/xinitrc-splash which is linked to /usr/sbin/share/backgrounds/*.png. Same as set by feh so this third change may not be noticeable.

step

Post by step »

stemsee wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:31 pm

1) Yes, I see ... my point is that the rox right-click options don't appear to work for switching off the pinboard. So it's not as easy as it should be. I tried quite a lot of things before my final solution.

Which rox right-click options to switch off the pinboard? I don't see ways to switch off the pinboard in the pinboard options tab or from the command line (rox -h).

rox-opt-pb-20230704.png
rox-opt-pb-20230704.png (71.88 KiB) Viewed 767 times

2)

driveicons.pngrotate and snapp both provide some storage device visuals and mount unmount from yad --tray instances, no need for a pinboard. Currently lacks comprehensive information, but it would be nice if fatdog drive icons worked also with sit in lxqt-panel for instance.

Hmm, the sit I know provides a way to add a custom icon to the icon tray. You're already doing that with yad --notification. Why do you want it done with sit also? For a change you could consider the new lxqt-panel in Fatdog64 900 alpha, which includes a new plugin called "custom command". Maybe you could work out some integration of the snapp mounter with "custom command". I haven't played with this plugin long enough to be able tell you what are its limitations.

stemsee

Post by stemsee »

i didn't notice fd900 alpha release!?!

Attachments
rox.png
rox.png (61 KiB) Viewed 755 times
jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

@stemsee, your screenshot says at the very top: "When run a session manager program (such as ROX-Session) ..."

We don't use ROX-Session. It is ancient, and it requires python. Thus the setting you referred to is __not__ used. For all intent and purposes, Fatdog64's "session manager" is /etc/rc.d/rc.Xdesktop, the file you updated. This is a generic "session manager" which does not use and is not aware of ROX-Filer settings. As step said earlier, rather than commenting it out, you should instead use the hooks already provided in there. The hook works exactly as it is advertised: it s meant to run another desktop (or modified ROX desktop, if the default one does not suit you). It was originally created to run XFCE.

To add to step's explanation about the background image seen by the user: we do set it twice. First, we set the X11 root window background. Then we set the ROX-Filer background. Reason? As much as we love ROX (as filer, and as desktop), we understand that not everybody wants to run ROX as their desktop. And if one does not run ROX as a desktop, they will see the X11 root window, which otherwise will be blank, unless we set the background image too.

(It has the added bonus that if ROX crash for whatever reason, you will see the X11 background image which is decidedly quite different from the ROX background ... but ROX has been rock-solid in the last few years ...).

i didn't notice fd900 alpha release!?!

You blink you lose :lol: Seriously, though, It's there in the usual places.

stemsee

Post by stemsee »

jamesbond wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:24 am

@stemsee, your screenshot says at the very top: "When run a session manager program (such as ROX-Session) ..."

We don't use ROX-Session. It is ancient, and it requires python. Thus the setting you referred to is __not__ used. For all intent and purposes, Fatdog64's "session manager" is /etc/rc.d/rc.Xdesktop, the file you updated.

Ahh....ok! I assumed that rox-desktop in /etc/rc.d/rc.Xdesktop was some kind of alias for rox-session! Now it makes sense.

step

Post by step »

@stemsee, you might also be interested in gifview (standard in Fatdog64) to show GIF video animations on the desktop. The following one-line example will place a 96x96-pixel GIF animation stored in file "/path/to/my-animated.gif" over the ROX pinboard window and under other windows, at screen coordinates (200,200). If the GIF file includes transparency pixels, those will be green.

gifview --animate --no-interactive --min-delay 10 --geometry 96x96+200+200 --new-window $(xwininfo -root -tree | awk '/ROX-Pinboard/{print $1}') --bg green /path/to/my-animated.gif

Also, IIRC, some time ago @fredx181 posted some scripts on the subject of animated gifs for the desktop.

stemsee

Post by stemsee »

Looks interesting.

I added /root/.fatdog/xdesktop with contents rox -B, but still the pinboard and everything with it is there. So the hooks in rc.Xdesktop are not working at my end. Could you confirm them working for you @step

step

Post by step »

Before I do, make sure you've got the right options.

/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer-jun7/ROX-Filer: option requires an argument -- 'B'
Try `ROX-Filer/AppRun --help' for more information.
stemsee wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:46 am

Looks interesting.

I added /root/.fatdog/xdesktop with contents rox -B, but still the pinboard and everything with it is there. So the hooks in rc.Xdesktop are not working at my end. Could you confirm them working for you @step

Also make sure that /root/.fatdog/xdesktp is executable

if [ -e $USER_XDESKTOP ] && [ -x $USER_XDESKTOP ]; then

and of course reboot.

(...off to check...)

Later: Yes, it works for me in 900 alpha with no savefile.

stemsee

Post by stemsee »

Thanks step

i just left the /root/.fatdog/xdesktop file executable but empty and it's doing what i wanted.

stemsee

Post by stemsee »

My fd900 desktop without pinboard...using a custom lxqt-panel conf set to size 200, 3 rows and 48pxl icons....drag and drop files to the panel then edit config file to associate icons and custome Execs ... who needs a pinboard :thumbup2:

fd900-no-pinboard.png
fd900-no-pinboard.png (276.68 KiB) Viewed 714 times

Return to “Desktop”