Fossapup64 9.5

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects

Moderator: Forum moderators

Grey

Re: Fossapup64 9.0.4 RC2

Post by Grey »

Hello! There is a problem. If you create SFS of Nvidia driver using the program GetNVIDIA and load SFS, then some libraries disappear from system. They are libGLX.so.0.0.0 and libGLdispatch.so.0.0.0 :( Goggles Music Manager does not start without them. And besides this Nvidia X Server Settings does not show information in the section Graphics Information (it's empty there). Of course, you can drop these libraries into the folder /root/my-applications/lib/ :idea: That's exactly what I did. Then everything works again, but it's troublesome. Please fix this case if possible. Most likely the problem is in the layers system of SFS and Fossapup64 (frugal install with all files from ISO and savefolder). Sorry for bad english.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

666philb

Post by 666philb »

Grey wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:08 am Hello! There is a problem. If you create SFS of Nvidia driver using the program GetNVIDIA and load SFS, then some libraries disappear from system. They are libGLX.so.0.0.0 and libGLdispatch.so.0.0.0 :( Goggles Music Manager does not start without them. And besides this Nvidia X Server Settings does not show information in the section Graphics Information (it's empty there). Of course, you can drop these libraries into the folder /root/my-applications/lib/ :idea: That's exactly what I did. Then everything works again, but it's troublesome. Please fix this case if possible. Most likely the problem is in the layers system of SFS and Fossapup64 (frugal install with all files from ISO and savefolder). Sorry for bad english.
hi Grey,

can you upload the nvidia.sfs somewhere so that i can have a look at it.

thanks
iarda1

Post by iarda1 »

Hi.
i have never been able to use nvidia drivers because it crushes my own settings in various places.
The most anoying for me is the block at keyboard as it left out european characters leaving only keyb_US.

By other hand, tried the youtube-dl GUI (using often as shell command) the GUI has a mess in python 2.7 and 3. Does not work.

Try to use F96-CE non co-existing with any, without compressed and depressed redundancies, not 'frugally' forced.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

What specific version of Getnvidia did you use?

I strongly suggest not to load a graphics driver package as an sfs.
Think about it.
This is what is driving the graphics at all times. No matter what you are doing.

I assume Getnvidia actually installed the driver package, but you did not followup and complete the process of rebooting and selecting the Nvidia driver to run graphics.

Making the sfs and or a pet package is just a side feature of Getnvidia.

The sfs package, was more for tying the driver package, to see if it will work, without actually installing it, into the file system.
Easier to unload an sfs, than to uninstall the driver package and get back to a working graphics.

The pet package gives you a good simple way, to do a reinstall, if needed.
Plus, others can use it, to do driver package install, without having to compile the driver package.

But, you may have found a bug in Getnvidia!

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

666philb

Post by 666philb »

iarda1 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:56 am Hi.
i have never been able to use nvidia drivers because it crushes my own settings in various places.
The most anoying for me is the block at keyboard as it left out european characters leaving only keyb_US.

By other hand, tried the youtube-dl GUI (using often as shell command) the GUI has a mess in python 2.7 and 3. Does not work.
yes nvidia settings will remove some of the keyboard section from its created /etc/X11/xorg.conf but is easy to add back in.

and i'll re-look at youtube-dlg .... it was working initially but doesn't now for some reason.
Grey

Post by Grey »

Thanks everyone for the answers guys. 666philb, here is the link to fresh 450.57 nvidia SFS
https://yadi.sk/d/wb1Z_Q_7oqPT5w

I understand that for some people PET is better than SFS, but SFS is just more convenient. By the way, the problem is only in Fossapup64. There is no such thing in Xenialpup64 and Bionicpup64(I am currently writing this from Bionic) . I specifically checked. Well, getnvidia 1.5.1 + fresh nvidia driver and this portable Wine builds https://github.com/Kron4ek/Wine-Builds run almost any Windows game in Bionicpup.

As for the keyboard, Puppy has always had (and still remains) a small problem with the indication of keyboard switching. I use gxkb ( https://zen-tools.github.io/gxkb/ ) to switch the layout from english to russian. So I need to set up the layout switcher AT THE BEGINNING of the system setup, otherwise the layout will not switch later. Well ... that's life :)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

666philb

Post by 666philb »

Grey wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:37 pm Thanks everyone for the answers guys. 666philb, here is the link to fresh 450.57 nvidia SFS
https://yadi.sk/d/wb1Z_Q_7oqPT5w

I understand that for some people PET is better than SFS, but SFS is just more convenient. By the way, the problem is only in Fossapup64. There is no such thing in Xenialpup64 and Bionicpup64(I am currently writing this from Bionic) . I specifically checked. Well, getnvidia 1.5.1 + fresh nvidia driver and this portable Wine builds https://github.com/Kron4ek/Wine-Builds run almost any Windows game in Bionicpup.

As for the keyboard, Puppy has always had (and still remains) a small problem with the indication of keyboard switching. I use gxkb ( https://zen-tools.github.io/gxkb/ ) to switch the layout from english to russian. So I need to set up the layout switcher AT THE BEGINNING of the system setup, otherwise the layout will not switch later. Well ... that's life :)
hi Grey,

it's the script /root/Startup/nvidia that's inside the sfs that's causes the problem. i had problems with it when making the nvidia drivers for bionicpup64 and in the end created my drivers manually removing that script altogether. maybe try extracting the .sfs and removing that script and /etc/init.d/rc.nvidia re-package and see if it works then. will need to reboot after installing. if it doesn't work try the following in a terminal and reboot again.

Code: Select all

depmod -a
ldconfig
as for the layout switching it's not something i use or know much about, but yesterday i had reason to try it and toggle switching between hebrew & english worked (luckily). this was days after system setup.
Grey

Post by Grey »

Repackaging didn't help. But never mind, manually moving libraries helps, and that's good.
And further. QuickSetup in Fossa in the Graphics section does not display the video driver correctly. Says it is used nouveau, although nvidia is used and noveau can not work because blacklisted. But in Bionic everything is displayed correctly.

666philb

Post by 666philb »

Grey wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:27 am Repackaging didn't help. But never mind, manually moving libraries helps, and that's good.
And further. QuickSetup in Fossa in the Graphics section does not display the video driver correctly. Says it is used nouveau, although nvidia is used and noveau can not work because blacklisted. But in Bionic everything is displayed correctly.
hi Grey,

as an experiment in a live-booted puppy, i downloaded http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... x86_64.pet, extracted it, removed the pinstall.sh and then right clicked on it and made it into a nvidia.sfs.
I then loaded the .sfs (note that ldconfig & depmod -a ran automatically!). All i needed to do was run nvidia-xconfig then reboot.

I have a working driver, no libs missing, googlesmm works and nvidia-settings shows in the graphics/video setup section.
666philb

Post by 666philb »

hi Grey,

I made your nvidia.sfs work by ...

extract sfs
delete /root
delete /etc/init.d
add /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf

blacklist nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0
repack sfs

remember to run nvidia-xconfig after loading

reboot
Grey

Post by Grey »

666philb wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:26 am hi Grey,

I made your nvidia.sfs work by ...

extract sfs
delete /root
delete /etc/init.d
add /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf

blacklist nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0
repack sfs

remember to run nvidia-xconfig after loading

reboot
Repackaged SFS + nvidia-xconfig = this plan worked. Everything seems to be displayed correctly. Thanks a lot, 666philb. I will continue testing.

art

Post by art »

The retrovol problem I experienced using 9.0.3 is more severe using 9.0.4.
If you recall, setting tray_control=16 fixed 9.0.3 .... but 9.0.4 is stuck
with four "cards" selected.

Edit: In .retrovolrc I changed card=hw:0 to card=hw:1 then did a configure
and reboot to solve the problem.

art
art

Post by art »

Linssid is a wireless signal strength app I install via ppm on several pups
including fossa 9.0.3. It does not work on 9.0.4. I managed to get it
working using a deb I found in 9.0.3 save folder:
libboost-regx1.71.0_1.71.0-6ubuntu6_amd64.deb
But that's as far as I've gotten with trying to learn what exactly is wrong.

Edit: I seem to remember a "missing libs" message in ppm. My guess
is that the problem is with ppm.

art
iarda1

Post by iarda1 »

Hummm,
Now I found Fossapup64 is unable to mount an .iso file.
any suggestion?
tried uextract but not the same.

Try to use F96-CE non co-existing with any, without compressed and depressed redundancies, not 'frugally' forced.

666philb

Post by 666philb »

iarda1 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:06 pm Hummm,
any suggestion?
working here iarda1
got a link to the iso?
sheldonisaac

Post by sheldonisaac »

666philb (in part) wrote: Fossapup64 9.0.4 RC2
Ready for testing.
Download here http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/test/fossapup/
A 32bit eoan-focal hybrid iso by peebee is also available here https://sourceforge.net/projects/zestyp ... oan-Focal/
Thank you, 666philb. I had downloaded your 9.0.3 a while ago, it seemed OK.
It seems that others have reported problems.
I'll try the 9.0.4 RC2 soon.

Sheldon
Latitude E6410: BusterPup 8.0 etc
Vostro 430: BionicPup64 8.0
sheldonisaac

Post by sheldonisaac »

666philb wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:17 pm
iarda1 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:06 pm Hummm,
any suggestion?
working here iarda1
got a link to the iso?
I booted 9.0.4 on this Latitude E6410 without a savefile/folder. Left click on an .iso opens it as usual in /media/
Latitude E6410: BusterPup 8.0 etc
Vostro 430: BionicPup64 8.0
iarda1

Post by iarda1 »

.iso open: Solved

Set run action
Enter a shell command
filemnt "$1"
Use Command
add a suitable icon... and...
Presto!

Grey

Post by Grey »

Hi 666philb. Are you planning radical changes in the final release, well, in the sense, will the save folder from the release candidate work normally?

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Initial test for me

Few Problems
  • Couple weeks back, youtube-dl was fixed such that it no longer has a python2 dependency, allowing to run without issues on PCs with merely python3.
  • On FossaPUP 904rc2, using QuickPet>A&V>youtube-DL_GUI, it installs both python3 as well as python2 on FossaPUP. python2 is not required to run youtube-dl. Yet???
  • GUI aside, command line youtube-dl does not run as it is missing the python link. I thought the youtube-dl author indicated couple days back that he had repaired that problem so that youtube-dl would be able to find the python3 installed and use it.
  • Chromium/Chrome 84 is now available. Is Quickpet dynamic enough to PET current versions, automatically?
  • Installation of JAVA from the PPM finds libjvm missing
  • Installation of Chromium browser via Quickpet leaves Chromium unable to sign in to gmail. Same for Chrome. The desktop error message is "Couldn't sign you in
    This browser or app may not be secure."
Testing will continue
peebee

Post by peebee »

Pristine frugal install with adrv and no personal save....

No personal save is created if you reboot without making any changes to the system.... this is not usual puppy behaviour??

menu.lst:
title Test1 (sda4/test1)
uuid xxxxx
kernel /test1/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=test1 pfix=fsck
initrd /test1/initrd.gz
PUPSTATE:
PUPMODE=5
PDEV1='sda4'
DEV1FS='ext4'
PUPSFS='sda4,ext4,/test1/puppy_fossapup64_9.0.4.sfs'
PUPSAVE=''
PMEDIA='atahd'
#ATADRIVES is all internal ide/pata/sata drives, excluding optical, excluding usb...
ATADRIVES='sda sdb sdc '
#ATAOPTICALDRIVES is list of non-usb optical drives...
ATAOPTICALDRIVES='sr0 '
#these directories are unionfs/aufs layers in /initrd...
RW_LAYER='/pup_rw'
SAVE_LAYER=''
PUP_LAYER='/pup_ro2'
#The partition that has the fossapup64save file is mounted here...
PUP_HOME=''
#(in /initrd) ...note, /mnt/home is a link to it.
#this file has extra kernel drivers and firmware...
ZDRV='sda4,ext4,/test1/zdrv_fossapup64_9.0.4.sfs'
FDRV='sda4,ext4,/test1/fdrv_fossapup64_9.0.4.sfs'
ADRV='sda4,ext4,/test1/adrv_fossapup64_9.0.4.sfs'
YDRV=''
#Partition no. override on boot drive to which session is (or will be) saved...
PSAVEMARK=''
PSAVEPART=''
PSAVEDIR=''
PSUBDIR='/test1'
PUNIONFS='aufs'
DOIMODS='yes'
DOMIBS='no'

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

666philb

Post by 666philb »

peebee wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:21 am Pristine frugal install with adrv and no personal save....

No personal save is created if you reboot without making any changes to the system.... this is not usual puppy behaviour??
hi peebee ,

just tested .... rebooted whilst welcome dialog on screen and nothing clicked and got the usual save dialog.
so working for me.

can a few other people test.
Tahrbaby

Post by Tahrbaby »

peebee wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:21 am Pristine frugal install with adrv and no personal save....

Tested as a pristine frugal install to a usb stick formatted to vfat.
Created a 512 mb save file (without making any changes).
Rebooted and save file was located and loaded ok..
peebee

Post by peebee »

Just rechecked....

My frugal install is on harddisk formatted ext4 .... directory as shown below

On reboot (after Welcome window and after Gatotray has appeared and Conky has appeared) I get
- no "Do you want to save" window
- and "Session not saved" message

Very odd!
Screenshot(1).png
Screenshot(1).png (47.88 KiB) Viewed 1132 times

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

gellert234

Post by gellert234 »

Hi 666philb,

When will the final version be released?
666philb

Post by 666philb »

[mention]peebee[/mention]

it's very odd!!! tested again here on an ext4 partition and just clicked through without changing anything and waited for conky to appear. i get the save dialog on shut down.

will test on my other comps tomorrow .. but i always do fresh installs of new builds and they all have saves so this issue hasn't happened.

i notice that you have a different file manager, is this a custom iso?

cheers

phil
666philb

Post by 666philb »

gellert234 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:39 pm Hi 666philb,

When will the final version be released?
in a few weeks hopefully :D
666philb

Post by 666philb »

Grey wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:43 am Hi 666philb. Are you planning radical changes in the final release, well, in the sense, will the save folder from the release candidate work normally?
there will be a newer kernel actually that fixes davids problems earlier in the thread, but apart from that just some small fixes
666philb

Post by 666philb »

Clarity wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:16 am Initial test for me

Few Problems
  • Couple weeks back, youtube-dl was fixed such that it no longer has a python2 dependency, allowing to run without issues on PCs with merely python3.
  • On FossaPUP 904rc2, using QuickPet>A&V>youtube-DL_GUI, it installs both python3 as well as python2 on FossaPUP. python2 is not required to run youtube-dl. Yet???
  • GUI aside, command line youtube-dl does not run as it is missing the python link. I thought the youtube-dl author indicated couple days back that he had repaired that problem so that youtube-dl would be able to find the python3 installed and use it.
  • Chromium/Chrome 84 is now available. Is Quickpet dynamic enough to PET current versions, automatically?
  • Installation of JAVA from the PPM finds libjvm missing
  • Installation of Chromium browser via Quickpet leaves Chromium unable to sign in to gmail. Same for Chrome. The desktop error message is "Couldn't sign you in
    This browser or app may not be secure."
Testing will continue
thanks for testing Clarity,

i'm aware of youtube-dl-gui not working (it was initially) and will possibly use this instead https://sourceforge.net/projects/tartube/

also with the chrome based browsers i may offer a root or spot option with the explanation of the gmail quirk whilst running as root.
will also look into updaters as i made one for chrome once ... chromium may be more difficult as it's extracted from ubuntus snap package.

java available in quickpet (still a fix to do for this as may mess up the terminal)
Grey

Post by Grey »

About Chromium. I installed Chromium from here https://launchpad.net/~xalt7x/+archive/ ... -deb-vaapi
Just now I entered the forum from it.
This is the so called "Chromium in DEB format with VAAPI support". Of course, I had to install each file separately. I was too lazy to make an SFS file.

browser
https://launchpad.net/~xalt7x/+archive/ ... _amd64.deb
language packages
https://launchpad.net/~xalt7x/+archive/ ... pi_all.deb
ffmpeg codecs for the Chromium
Extra ffmpeg codecs
WebDriver

Return to “Puppy Projects”