POLL: What build of PUppy OS are you using on a daily basis?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

What build of PUppy OS are you using on a daily basis?

Poll ended at Mon May 29, 2023 9:09 pm

Bionic

9%

F96-CE/Fossapup64/F96CE-XFCE-FUSILLI

28%

VoidPup

No votes

Xenial

5%

Vanilla Dpup

13%

Kennel Linux

5%

FatDog64

5%

Peebee's builds

14%

fredx181's builds

3%

Multiple

19%

Total votes: 64

Tahrbaby

Re: POLL: What build of PUppy OS are you using on a daily basis?

Post by Tahrbaby »

Many different versions of Puppy but over the last few months I favour S15 Pup 64 and Vanilla Dpup 9.3.** 64 series.both of which have never let me down. :thumbup2:

nnriyer

Post by nnriyer »

I am using Vanila Dpup and EasyOS. Both are good on different aspects.

wiak

Post by wiak »

pp4mnklinux wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:35 am

Aha, @mikewalsh we understood this as the main objective of this poll, but after reading some responses, opinnions and , of course, comments, the F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI team is thinking about our project.

We thought all puppy users gonna be "thankful" and "pleased" with it, but.... as you know, it looks not their possition.... so it's possible we change our attitude.

Why would puppy users not be pleased with it? Aside from fossa being an old base, personally I think an xfce pup is exactly what Puppy needs - slightly heavier in resources than JWM or straight openbox with say tint2, but once you start adding bells and whistles to the likes of JWM or openbox/tint2 such that desktop functionality becomes similar to what xfce provides by default there isn't a lot of difference in resource usage. And great thing about an xfce-based distro, it remains fast and efficient and becomes a kind of 'standard' desktop functionality such that one can easy move from one distro to a different xfce-based one entirely but not have a big learning curve. Pity the poll hadn't been devised only for actual Pups, I feel, and in such a way that it did become clear (if possible) which Pup style really is becoming most sought after. We have been hearing JWM/ROX touted for years and years, but really that is by the same crowd of members and not necessarily actually the majority preference/viewpoint nowadays - well, it might be, but we don't really know.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

The poll does not have on it the Puppy versions I am using.

So it is not something I am going to answer.

When you can get 100% of the people voting for one specific Puppy version.

You will know you have reached the end of the World :thumbup:

The results are by an AI from year 2029 from skynet :!:

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Thanks for your answer, It is what we need in these moments. You understood perfectly why we decided to start this project

Welcome to my friends list !! CHEERS

n.b.- I want to thanks everybody who shown his/her support to us, motivating us to start / continue... THANKS A LOT.

---- edited----
I was thinking about why some users are not in favour of using a fusilli or xfce environment, I thought a lot of possible ideas, but in the end I think it is because "old users" don't want to loose their "knowledge", that is... they are used to jwm or similar and are against change it.

Some Puppy Linux users may have become accustomed to using JWM or a similar window manager included with Puppy Linux and switching to a different desktop environment like Fussilli or Xfce may require them to learn new features, adapt to a different workflow, or potentially sacrifice performance on their hardware.

Some users may feel that the benefits of a full desktop environment are not worth the trade-offs in terms of performance or familiarity and they are not worried about puppy massive use but only are worried about their personal situacion.

(Of course it is a personal oppinion and it is not against any particular user, so please, understand it as "thinking aloud" :) :thumbup2: )

wiak wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:52 am

Aha, @mikewalsh we understood this as the main objective of this poll, but after reading some responses, opinnions and , of course, comments, the F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI team is thinking about our project.

We thought all puppy users gonna be "thankful" and "pleased" with it, but.... as you know, it looks not their possition.... so it's possible we change our attitude.

Why would puppy users not be pleased with it? Aside from fossa being an old base, personally I think an xfce pup is exactly what Puppy needs - slightly heavier in resources than JWM or straight openbox with say tint2, but once you start adding bells and whistles to the likes of JWM or openbox/tint2 such that desktop functionality becomes similar to what xfce provides by default there isn't a lot of difference in resource usage. And great thing about an xfce-based distro, it remains fast and efficient and becomes a kind of 'standard' desktop functionality such that one can easy move from one distro to a different xfce-based one entirely but not have a big learning curve. Pity the poll hadn't been devised only for actual Pups, I feel, and in such a way that it did become clear (if possible) which Pup style really is becoming most sought after. We have been hearing JWM/ROX touted for years and years, but really that is by the same crown of members and not necessarily actually the majority preference/viewpoint nowadays - well, it might be, but we don't really know.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

bigpup wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:24 am

The poll does not have on it the Puppy versions I am using.

So it is not something I am going to answer.

When you can get 100% of the people voting for one specific Puppy version.

You will know you have reached the end of the World :thumbup:

The results are by an AI from year 2029 from skynet :!:

Which Puppys are you using?

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Most of these alternative desktop environments are nothing more than eye-candy (beauty is in eyes of the beholder, what looks nice to one person is not necessarily the same for someone else). I would like the main functionality differences to be listed between say JWM and XFCE. What can XFCE do that JWM can't for instance?

wiak

Post by wiak »

amethyst wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:15 am

Most of these alternative desktop environments are nothing more than eye-candy (beauty is in eyes of the beholder, what looks nice to one person is not necessarily the same for someone else). I would like the main functionality differences to be listed between say JWM and XFCE. What can XFCE do that JWM can't for instance?

Too much to explain. But once familiar with both JWM and XFCE one great thing XFCE offers that JWM can only do after a struggle is when (in XFCE) you right click on the bottom panel and get the convenient Add Item to Panel functionality.
Another, for example, is when you say have internet browser minimised and file manager open with html files in it: you can simply drag the html file or files down to the minimised browser on the panel and the browser with auto-open up and allow immediate dropping of the html files onto it (appearing usually thus in tabs) - that's a big plus IMO (though Openbox/tint2 also allows for that functionality - JWM simply does not).

XFCE also provides many useful tools/accessories out-of-the-box and is thus consistently providing these no matter what distro you use it on (though you do have ability to add/delete most of these app/utilities since most are optional xfce 'goodies'). Also the XFCE setup tools and menu are nicely consistent and full featured. JWM, on the other hand, doesn't provide such a user-easily-added environment, but instead up to distro developer to add lots of components of their own choice to try and provide equivalent functionality; no consistency in approach there and a lot of work for the distro builder. JWM distro therefore doesn't provide any likely consistency in the overall desktop management environment provided - so lots of re-learning to do if you move from one distro to another even though using same JWM desktop... life is too short for so much lack of standardisation and messy config files to adjust and different setup utils chosen by each different developer. Like having to learn new language every time. No thanks.

Whilst most Pups may be created via JWM including same desktop utility apps and so on, there is no guarantee of that. A different Puppy designed could use JWM/ROX but completely different desktop environment overall - more to re-learn. Choice is a wonderful thing of course, but sometimes too much choice and complex text-based configs or different wizards simply makes life hard without any reason really. XFCE also planned to be available for Wayland in near future.

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi, @amethyst :

First of all, I suggest you to read this post, because it has a good explanation.

wiak wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:52 am

Why would puppy users not be pleased with it? Aside from fossa being an old base, personally I think an xfce pup is exactly what Puppy needs - slightly heavier in resources than JWM or straight openbox with say tint2, but once you start adding bells and whistles to the likes of JWM or openbox/tint2 such that desktop functionality becomes similar to what xfce provides by default there isn't a lot of difference in resource usage. And great thing about an xfce-based distro, it remains fast and efficient and becomes a kind of 'standard' desktop functionality such that one can easy move from one distro to a different xfce-based one entirely but not have a big learning curve. Pity the poll hadn't been devised only for actual Pups, I feel, and in such a way that it did become clear (if possible) which Pup style really is becoming most sought after. We have been hearing JWM/ROX touted for years and years, but really that is by the same crowd of members and not necessarily actually the majority preference/viewpoint nowadays - well, it might be, but we don't really know.

Then, I wanna underline that with jwm and code you can obtain "more or less the same results", but... you gonna waste a lot of time, so using them as they are firstly offered, I will remark:

First of all, we should not forget that both are lightweight desktop environments for puppy systems, but they have different features and design philosophies but I think XFCE generally offers more functionality compared to JWM:

XFCE gives us a more complete desktop environment with various components, including a window manager, a desktop manager, a panel, a file manager, a settings manager, and a lot of other utilities meanwhile, JWM, is primarily a standalone window manager and does not include additional components, it could be a little bit faster, but It doesn't offer a nice graphical desktop and utilities.

XFCE offers extensive customization options through its settings manager, allowing you to tweak various aspects of the desktop environment, this way you can modify window behavior, panel layout, appearance themes, keyboard shortcuts, and more. JWM, while configurable, generally offers a more minimalistic set of customization options considering no modification of the original.

XFCE includes a feature-rich panel that supports app launchers, taskbars, window buttons, system tray/notification area, clock, workspace switcher, and other useful plugins. JWM does not provide a built-in panel, so you would need to rely on external tools or manually configure alternative panels if you require similar functionality and it provides a range of built-in themes and allows you to customize the desktop's look and feel, including window borders, icons, cursor themes, and desktop wallpaper and JWM has fewer built-in theming options and may require more manual tweaking to achieve a desired appearance.

Integrated File Manager: XFCE includes Thunar, a full-featured file manager, which provides a graphical interface for managing files and folders. JWM includes ROX... and lets be real... it is fast, but it is not beauty at all... hahha

XFCE is designed to be compatible with a wide range of applications and follows various desktop standards, making it easier to run applications developed for other desktop environments, so there is going to be less difficulties when using apps designed for other environments, with JWM you gonna find much more difficulties. HERE I WANNA mark the good work made in F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI by @josejp2424

But when we decided to use XFCE , the main reason is attract winshit users, becuase it offers a more comprehensive desktop environment experience with advanced configuration options, integrated components, and a broader range of features compared to JWM, which is primarily focused on being a lightweight and minimalistic window manager, and, let's be real, windows users are not interesed on speed, complexity... but in easy of use and attractive environment, when u include FUSILLI you are at another level, and here @nilsonmorales has got the power.

The day we obtain beauty with the easier instalation....we gonna win, till then we can talk, talk, talk.

I think if we want to obtain the best position, we must work in an easy installation and updates like ubuntu and fedora. LETS MAKE IT EASY AND WE'LL WIN.

EASY... of course not

IS IT THE WAY....
of course yes

Have a nice day.

--------------------------- EDITED ---------------------------------

We both was writing at the same time...hahah... so I wanna mention this posts, because I agree with it, CC2 @wiak

wiak wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:03 am
amethyst wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:15 am

Too much to explain. But once familiar with both JWM and XFCE one great thing XFCE offers that JWM can only do after a struggle is when (in XFCE) you right click on the bottom panel and get the convenient Add Item to Panel functionality.
Another, for example, is when you say have internet browser minimised and file manager open with html files in it: you can simply drag the html file or files down to the minimised browser on the panel and the browser with auto-open up and allow immediate dropping of the html files onto it (appearing usually thus in tabs) - that's a big plus IMO (though Openbox/tint2 also allows for that functionality - JWM simply does not).
XFCE also provides many useful tools/accessories out-of-the-box and is thus consistently providing these no matter what distro you use it on (though you do have ability to add/delete most of these app/utilities since most are optional xfce 'goodies'). Also the XFCE setup tools and menu are nicely consistent and full featured. JWM, on the other hand, doesn't provide such a user-easily-added environment, but instead up to distro developer to add lots of components of their own choice to try and provide equivalent functionality; no consistency in approach there and a lot of work for the distro builder. JWM distro therefore doesn't provide any likely consistency in the overall desktop management environment provided - so lots of re-learning to do if you move from one distro to another even though using same JWM desktop... life is too short for so much lack of standardisation and messy config files to adjust and different setup utils chosen by each different developer. Like having to learn new language every time. No thanks.
Whilst most Pups may be created via JWM including same desktop utility apps and so on, there is no guarantee of that. A different Puppy designed could use JWM/ROX but completely different desktop environment overall - more to relearn. Choice is a wonderful thing of course, but sometimes too much choice and complex text-based configs or different wizards simply makes life hard without any reason really. XFCE also planned to be available for Wayland in near future.

Last edited by pp4mnklinux on Sun May 21, 2023 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
wiak

Post by wiak »

pp4mnklinux wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:05 am

Then, I wanna underline that with jwm and code you can obtain more or less the same results

But never quite so good in the end: that not being able to drag/drop an html file onto a minimised browser when using JWM is a limitation of JWM (same issue is say trying to drag/drop a docx file onto say minimised to taskbar Libreoffice. Really messy having to first open up the application and then the filemanager prior to doing the drag/drop - it is certainly something I do a lot (minimise apps to keep desktop window nice and clear for other stuff I'm doing) - so I hate using JWM overall even though it uses somewhat less RAM (though not so important nowadays really since browser uses tons more RAM after a tab or two opened anyway...).

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

wiak wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:18 am
pp4mnklinux wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:05 am

Then, I wanna underline that with jwm and code you can obtain more or less the same results

But never quite so good in the end: that not being able to drag/drop an html file onto a minimised browser when using JWM is a limitation of JWM (same issue is say trying to drag/drop a docx file onto say minimised to taskbar Libreoffice. Really messy having to first open up the application and then the filemanager prior to doing the drag/drop - it is certainly something I do a lot (minimise apps to keep desktop window nice and clear for other stuff I'm doing) - so I hate using JWM overall even though it uses somewhat less RAM (though not so important nowadays really since browser uses tons more RAM after a tab or two opened anyway...).

That seems to be a limitation of the file manager then (ie. ROX) isn't it and not JWM? How about just associating a certain file type with a certain application? That simple method has been done for ages. BTW - I hate drag and drop. I never use any file manager like that. Personally I find drag and drop operations messy in general although I will agree that it can be useful for the "power user".
Edit: I've just checked and I can actually drag a html file to an open browser to be opened (Palemoom in my case) using ROX and same with dragging other files to applications that can open them. So not a limitation afterall....Also, JWM has very good utilities to achieve easy customization (like JWM Desk).

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

amethyst wrote:

Edit: I've just checked and I can actually drag a html file to an open browser to be opened (Palemoom in my case) using ROX and same with dragging other files to applications that can open them. So not a limitation afterall....

There's a misunderstanding, what @wiak means is drag onto a minimized item on the panel which is not possible with JWM.
With other panels e.g. xfce4-panel or tint2 , drag and hold, it will "unminimize" so then you are able to drop it in the appearing window, it's handy, I use it that way once in a while.

EDIT: Like this on the xfce4-panel:

drag on panel, hold and drop in the appearing browser window
drag on panel, hold and drop in the appearing browser window
2023-05-21_16-01-17.gif (169.66 KiB) Viewed 528 times
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

fredx181 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:39 pm
amethyst wrote:

Edit: I've just checked and I can actually drag a html file to an open browser to be opened (Palemoom in my case) using ROX and same with dragging other files to applications that can open them. So not a limitation afterall....

There's a misunderstanding, what @wiak means is drag onto a minimized item on the panel which is not possible with JWM.
With other panels e.g. xfce4-panel or tint2 , drag and hold, it will "unminimize" so then you are able to drop it in the appearing window, it's handy, I use it that way once in a while.

2023-05-21_16-01-17.gif

Oh, okay. I don't think I will ever use that though. I'm not the drag and drop type as mentioned.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

fredx181 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:39 pm
amethyst wrote:

Also works with Tint2 panel :thumbup: ;)

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

Return to “Users”