Goldendict & Stardict Document Managers

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

Goldendict & Stardict Document Managers

Post by mikeslr »

No app is provided. If you have a 'Ubuntu-Compatible' Puppy, either of these can be installed. GoldenDict was available as early as 2013, maybe earlier. But as Xenial (both 32 and 64) are the oldest Puppies whose PPM can still access repositories, [remember to update databases], obtaining the application and dependencies from Ubuntu's archive-pool will likely be a hassle for older Puppies. For Slackos and Voidpup, read on.

Are you tired of wading thru advertisements and following the false leads to obtain a general or deeper understanding about something? And paying for it?* There was a time when going on line for information was sufficiently costly and time consuming that alternatives existed: downloadable encyclopedias, comprehensive dictionaries and manuscripts. That alternative still exists.

In a recent post, Grey mentioned "there is Another Trinity for reading and maintaining the library, well, it's Cool Reader, GoldenDict and freeLib." https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... &start=350

I was familiar with Cool Reader. If you're not, see here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 619#p27619. And AFAICT, freeLib is an application/system for creating &/or distributing documents peer-to-peer. But I had assumed that GoldenDict was just a dictionary. I had pdict and Artha (a thesaurus). What made GoldenDict special?

You know what they say about ass u me. :oops: A little googling revealed its nature and power. GoldenDict is an application to manage, index and access the content of documents. If you’re familiar with e-Sword, it’s sort of like that but more responsive. You can add documents whose content will be offered to you. Type a search term into GoldenDict’s search box and it will quickly present you links to each document that explains that term and display one document. The others are just a click and/or scroll away.

GoldenDict-WordNet.png
GoldenDict-WordNet.png (204.92 KiB) Viewed 613 times

The Search field at the top drops down offering fine-tuned alternatives. The Right-most Top pane shows each document providing information. Click one to jump to it. Or scroll down on the Left-most pane.

While using PPM to obtain GoldenDict, you should also install goldendict-wordnet. I think VoidPup Puppy Package Manager will offer installation. Slackware-current offers Stardict (more about following). My efforts to create a functioning Goldendict for Slackware-current were unsuccessful: a dependency chase thru Hell. But you’re welcome to try. While (as to be expected) there are versions of both goldendict and stardict for Windows I could not find any version that would run under Wine.

AFAICT, when Goldendict was first published it was designed to use the dictionaries/modules that were available to Stardict, Babylon and two other applications. [One of those employs names using the Cyrillic alphabet. I know nothing about the other]. At that time there were thousands of dictionaries, encyclopedia and specialized reference books that could be downloaded. Since then, new copyright laws, or their interpretations, have decimated those resources.***

Still, a couple hundred ‘dictionaries’ in stardict format can be found. Follow the links from here, https://askubuntu.com/questions/631376/ ... goldendict.

After an exhaustive search I located a collection of ‘dictionaries’ in the babylon “bgl’ format. It’s packaged as a 1.5 Gb rar. Extracting that revealed 27 folders. Each folder will contain from one to hundreds of ‘dictionaries’. The following screenshot shows the 27 folders on the left, and some of the 157 dictionaries in the ‘Science Babylon’ folder on the Right. The ‘Computer’ Folder has 137 documents relating to Computers, Programming and Networking. That each ‘dictionary’ rarely exceeds 1Mb will give you some idea of the wealth of information included in the 1.5 Gb collection.

Babylon-Collection.png
Babylon-Collection.png (101.07 KiB) Viewed 613 times

I won’t provide you a direct link to that collection. Most who read this post aren’t going to download a 1.5Gb collection. And I’m no expert on Copyright Laws. They vary from one jurisdiction to the next. A collection of thousands of documents may contain some ‘in the public domain’, some whose copyright expired, some entitled to ‘fair usage’, some expressly dedicated for public use without restrictions, and some whose copyright may have been acquired because the actual author failed to claim the right to so dedicate them; and others whose republication may violate some jurisdiction’s copyright law. I don’t want to unintentionally spotlight the holder of that collection; a good friend to Puppy LInux. But I’ll provide you with another clue.

Karanpc.com was somehow involved. It’s former “Mission Statement” can be found here, https://alternativeto.net/software/karan-pc/about/. And links –now broken-- for babylon dictionaries at one time lead to its Website. My check regarding Karanpc.com’s reputation revealed it to be trustworthy. I found only one complaint (on reddit) by someone trying to obtain a copyrighted program AND its crack.

How to Add dictionaries: It probably makes sense to place all dictionaries in one folder. Toolbar>Edit>Dictionaries>Add (on the Right Side of the GUI which opens) will require that you file-browse to the appropriate folder; while Rescan (at the Right-Bottom) recursively scans the selected folder. [I don’t know if Rescan is automatic when you start Goldendict or I accidentally configured it to be].

Once you find a dictionary in stardict format you have to download and extract it. In the extracted folder will be another with several files. You can rename the extracted folder for your convenience. Place that entire folder in the folder where you’ll keep all your added dictionaries.
Dictionaries in the BGL format are easier to manage. They each consist of one file with the ending BGL or bgl. I placed them in the folder created to hold all goldendict’s dictionaries.

It should be easy to repackage some of the babylon collection and stardict folders for friends having a particular interest. Not that I’m encouraging you to do so.

Stardict: I think Stardict is available via the PPM of any Puppy. I know its available for Slacko64's as I examined it after attempts to track down necessary dependencies to construct goldendict for S15Pup64 and Quickpup64 were unsuccessful. Stardict isn't as fancy: AFAICT, No pictures. But Stardict for Bionicpup64 may be particularly useful as you can also install Stardict-tools. Those enable you to convert bgl files into Stardict format.
=-=-=-=-=-=-
* Google isn’t free; its cost to you is buried. Google charges advertisers; advertisers charge clients; and those clients include in the cost to us, the consumers, what they’ve paid to advertisers. Except for some of that cost. The cost of advertising is tax-deductible. We all pay taxes. But those who advertise pay less; we make up the difference. You are subsidizing google and those who create the annoying commercials for drugs you can’t get without a doctor’s prescription.

** Initially, I ran into a problem under F-96. The newest version of Goldendict depends on Qt5 libs which (I think) conflicted with the Qt5 libraries I had built into an adrv-or-ydrv. At any rate, a wild goose-chase. Before discovering that the version downloaded using Fossapup64-9.5 worked, I came up with this other functioning work-around. I only download the Goldendict deb from Ubuntu Bionic Beaver’s repo (no dependencies). Ldd told me only two libs were missing and I tracked those down.
*** Knowledge is power. It was unlawful to teach slaves to read. An uninformed public is easier to manipulate. And it’s easier to keep track of what each person is thinking when every on-line search is reported to google, The Five-Eyes and The Fourteen-Eyes; and likely intercepted by China and Russia.

Last edited by mikeslr on Mon May 08, 2023 2:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jasper

Re: Goldendict & Stardict Document Managers

Post by Jasper »

@mikeslr

Thanks for sharing the insight and for the informative message, kudos to you for doing all the research and presenting it so well :thumbup2:

Can the application with it's content be used offline and remain accessible?

PM sent

mikeslr

Re: Goldendict & Stardict Document Managers

Post by mikeslr »

Jasper wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:46 am

@mikeslr

Thanks for sharing the insight and for the informative message, kudos to you for doing all the research and presenting it so well :thumbup2:

Can the application with it's content be used offline and remain accessible?

PM sent

You're welcome.
Yes. Precisely. The application, itself, of course is 'off-line'. The 'dictionaries' which the application displays are downloaded and located either within your SaveFile or on some storage media. So once you have the libraries no internet is needed to use them.

But be careful what you wish for. :) Wordnet may be the largest 'dictionary' at 17 Mbs, likely due to how information it covers and its use of graphics. Others, as said, are often less than 1Mb. But the more dictionaries Goldendict (or Stardict) must read before presenting a display the longer it takes. Well, not really long. I 'installed' 17 and it takes about 2 seconds from the time I execute a search to the time the display of relevant information appears.

If you have many varied interests, it might pay to place dictionaries in different 'category-folders'. The GUI for managing dictionaries enables you to remove entire folders from Goldendict's index, add others and rescan/update-the-index.

Dictionary-GUI & Setup.png
Dictionary-GUI & Setup.png (32.21 KiB) Viewed 540 times

As you can see from the overlayed graphic at the bottom-left, /root/my-documents/GoldenDict which was added via the GUI is actually a symbolic-link to a folder on my hard-drive. It set it up that way because, running and testing multiple Puppies and their applications, the libraries I want become available under each Puppy simply by creating that symlink and rescanning.

Return to “Documents”