Will there be a New Edu-Pup?, since there's now a New Edubuntu

Moderator: Forum moderators

+Me

Will there be a New Edu-Pup?, since there's now a New Edubuntu

Post by +Me »

EdUbuntu, the 1st New Release in 9 years. I'm not even suggesting that it necessarily be built on Ubuntu, Maybe Debian or Slackware, etc

;-)K

All Blacks Rule
stemsee

Re: Will there be a New Edu-Pup?, since there's now a New Edubuntu

Post by stemsee »

What features of Edubuntu appeal to you? I'm looking for a distro to try on woof-ce, this could be the one.

Currently I am using fatdog linux on a touch screen laptop. I have a graphics tablet with a pen to use with whiteboard software or xournal and gimp. I currently am using ClassIn online and interactive whiteboard software, includes full classroom and course management, tests, lessons etc I'm running it on wine, and it runs on all my other devices, iphone 6, android tablet, ipad 4th. The only feature not functioning on wine is the cloud access. I can save files to the inbuilt cloud storage, and access them on other devices. ClassIn saves blackboard files as .edb which are unique to itself. But the way the blackboard looks can be imitated perfectly in xournal... so i can prep a blackboard (upto 50 pages in length) either in xournal offline or in classin online. The online blackboard can be customised, with user selected backdrop image, or solid colour, such as white.

My app snapp, has translation, and some phonetic capability builtin. As well as the books feature which i use for lesson plans, info and relevant text storage and retrieval. Snapp indexed books are ideal for keeping track of subjects and references, and bibliography etc all in one place, securely. The function for building a desktop scene could automate your working environment startup each session.

Xscreenshot lets you quickly grab an area of the screen to save as an image, to use in classin or xournal (allows pdf annotation). You can directly upload pdf, or image or text files to your classin session where you can write or type or draw over them, so can students if you authorise them. There is an inbuilt browser, desktop sharing, chat with sound and video. It's very comprehensive. I'm now paying for the professional package. But you can use for free.

Together with office, evince, coolreader, viewnior, mtpaint, gimp, vlc, Edge browser, and droidcam lets you have detached cameras (android phones) fr better positioning, and srcypy to put your phone screen on your desktop, makes for a powerhouse for learning and teaching. I aslo use AnyDesk on wine. I have a number of scripts running such as ydown which allows me to download selected item, and also translate selected text in a popup. Also custom key controls to arrange windows quickly to halves or quarters of the screen/s. Also audio controls to quickly adjust mic and audio levels, or mute them. I think I should release it as a fuller Fatdog-Edu derivative.

+Me

Post by +Me »

G'day Stemsee, Thanx 4 Replying 2 my eNquiry, 2 be hOnest I avoid Ubuntu so I'm not eXactly familiar w/ EdUbuntu Features, altho I have had a quick look.
My Main interest iz Refreshing Old Hardware & Diverting it from the Landfill & Offering them 2 Disadvantaged Families w/ Puppy Linux installed & Educational Programs ( & what I Hope a few fairly lite weight Educational Games eg. Celestia, eNdIess Sky, Stellarium ) on top of the Tux Suite, Childs Play & GCompris etc. PreBaked in. Targeted primarily @ Primary - intermediate aged Skool Kids.

2 be hOnest I have previously Remastered a Puppy about 7 years ago, was challenged 2 Maintain it & have intended 2 Update it but have Struggled 2 find the Time.

Az Faa az Features go Building it from Woof, I Wish it were possible 2 Create a more polished Look 'n' Feel, because I'm Hopeful that that might Help Puppys' Popularity. I only say this Constructively, Not 2 be flamed 4 blasphemy! After all Puppy Linux has been my number 1 Flavour 4 the Best part of 2 Decades, above other Linuxes, MacOS X, Android & M$ Virus Bait WinDoze. I just Wish it had a More Modern L'n'F if not Futuristic rather than Legacy, even tho the Hardware that it's Running or installed on may indeed be such!

I'd be Happy 2 Help yoU w/ any Testing on a Variety of Hardware...

;-)K

All Blacks Rule
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

New EdUbuntu just released. Excellent OOTB with excellent documentation.

Return to “Puppy Derivatives”