How-to run pulseaudio as root in F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI 4.4

Moderator: Forum moderators

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Following up on a report by @pp4mnklinux that when Simjet running as root, audio doesn't work viewtopic.php?p=87663#p87663
On XFCE_FUSILLI pulseaudio runs as 'spot' and I've found that's the reason for no audio when running Slimjet as root (with --no-sandbox).
(and there may be other audio problems too because of running pulseaudio as 'spot', not sure though)

Here's how I changed to pulseaudio running as "root" on XFCE_FUSILLI 4.4:

1) Open /root/.xinitrc (hidden file) with text-editor and find the line elif [ -e /usr/bin/pulseaudio ]; then (probably on line 79)
then change the three lines below that to:

Code: Select all

sh -c "pulseaudio --kill > /dev/null 2>&1; pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog"
    export PULSE_SERVER=unix:/tmp/runtime-root/pulse/native
    export PULSE_COOKIE=/root/.config/pulse/cookie

and save the file.
2) Open /usr/bin/pa-applet with text-editor, find the line XUSER=spot (line 9), change to:
XUSER=root and save the file
3) Restart X
4) Check by running Slimjet "as root" if audio plays, WORKS!!!??? :D

Above steps work OK for me, but if anyone knows a better way, please say .

pp4mnklinux

Re: How-to run pulseaudio as root in F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI 4.4

Post by pp4mnklinux »

clap, clap, clap @fredx181 FANTASTIC WORK

As you said, it works now.

Really good work.... and you must be proud of being the first to solve this problem.

Gracias, Mercy, Thanks...... (Can I copy this solution ,credits for you, of course, at F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI homepage?)

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Nice!!, There's is maybe a "philosophy" that I don't really understand (feeling = "don't like it" :D ) to make pulseaudio run as normal user e.g. spot, so I'd say, better see my howto as a workaround .

Can I copy this solution ,credits for you, of course, at F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI homepage?

Sure ... no secrets !
EDIT; To comment personally about it in general : I don't like if there's NOT a choice for which applications to run as spot.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Can I copy this solution ,credits for you, of course, at F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI homepage?

A couple of dev's that constructed F96-CE_4 from the beginning I noticed, have no credits mentioned on the homepage.
Like radky who did most of the debugging and system work and additions to the original versions of F96-CE I built from woof-CE and began to refine to start the project. @radky did a Lion's share of the work to get the final polished, stable F96-CE_4 to a production release.

Probably should mention that somewhere.

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hello everybody:

1º.-@fredx181 Added your solution to our homepage, so everybody can use it.- https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/ ... slimjet39/

Thanks a lot, TOO, because you wrote the solution into the F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI forum, so people with this specific problem with this specific derivative, can find easier the solution to it. :thumbup2:

2º.- @rockedge About mention people who has participated in the developement of this project .- We thought we can't mention all of them without forgeting anyone so we include a mention to ... "All the users who have participated directly or indirectly in this work" , but if you need to mention names, there is no problem, please tell us what names must we include because we look for them at https://f96.puppylinux.com/#page-top and we didn't find anything, excuseme.

----edited-----

I added a mention/credits to all of F96CE-4 involved people (We must give credits and mention all the developers, graphic designers, testers... (it's imposible for me mention them all) who made us being capable of start working on this project, as I said credits to all of them.

This is a F96CE-4 based derivative, so credits to all people involved there
).

Cheers.-

Last edited by pp4mnklinux on Fri May 05, 2023 9:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@pp4mnklinux The attachment looks good and has the credits listed. :thumbup:

@wizard, was instrumental in the rigorous testing of F96-CE to hammer out the details for allowing F96-CE to boot on a large variety of machines, and storage while allowing a multitude of different boot methods that can be used to start the system.

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Added then.... Ready I hope.

Thanks .

Last edited by pp4mnklinux on Fri May 05, 2023 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
dimkr

Post by dimkr »

pp4mnklinux wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:15 pm

Added then.... Ready I hope.

Thanks .

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... ntributors

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi, @dimkr , and excuseme.- I can't understand the reason for your message.-

I visited this link, but I don't know what you want me to do, sorry.

Can you help me, please??

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

I don't want you to do anything. Only pointing out the fact that your work is also based on woof-CE: if you want to credit all contributors to F96CE-XFCE-FUSILLI, maybe you should also mention the long list of woof-CE contributors.

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Aha, I understand what you means, and I completely agree with your idea.

That was the reason why I include only Barry Kauler (as PuppyLinux Creator) and I didn't include other names, because I can (as I said) forgot important people in the developing of this (I must include Ada Lovelace, Donal Knuth, Dennis Ritchie, Richard Sallman, Bjarne Stroustrup, Tim Berners-Lee, Alan Cooper... because of their contribution to PCs development, haha). So I gonna go back to the primitive option, mention Barry and who were directly involved in developing this pup and make mention to all the rest of people to collaborate indirectly with this pup.

I hope, really hope, you don't consider I understimate your work, I consider it really important, but I think this is the best and most adequate option.

Thanks a lot for your comment, very appropriate, elegant and smart comment.-

Have a nice day.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Ada Lovelace wrote 0 lines of code in your puplet and that's a valid reason not to credit her.

However, many lines of GPL-licensed (!) code in your puplet were written by other people who contributed "indirectly", if I embrace your choice of words. It's both illegal and unethical not to credit them when you used the code they wrote and not just their ideas.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@dimkr I mention woof-CE as the source and base foundation which means if someone wants to see the credits for accepted and merged contributions to woof-CE they should look up woof-CE which has it's own history documented.

In the title F96-CE_4 there is the "CE" portion indicating a "Community Edition" which logically indicates that there was a group of contributors from the Puppy Linux Community, which seems to be based mostly on this forum. So between 2 big forums the entire history can be researched as to whom did what as well as trace the history of woof-CE and it's origins.

Hence I list the credits for F96-CE_4 as "woof-CE" and the "Puppy Linux Community" somewhat directly.

There are many many people who over the years have added to Puppy Linux in diverse ways and varying amounts. From bug reports to feature rquests to the thousands of solutions that make Puppy Linux what "it" is today and in the future.

To everyone: IF you belong to the Community, you have contributed and get a credit. Thank you for all of it :thumbup:

So if you are walking by a big show window and see a shiny new F96-CE on display, you can tell your friends "I worked on that"

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

rockedge wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 3:11 pm

@dimkr I mention woof-CE as the source and base foundation

In some ways, this way of development, based on forum threads and manual changes to source code, cuts the branch Puppy is sitting on. The woof-CE tree used to build some Puppy release is never made available to the public (a GPL violation), so others can't rebuild an "official" Puppy, nobody can continue its development when the "lead developer" disappears, and the tweaks and improvements in the local woof-CE tree used to produce this Puppy don't make it into any other Puppy.

rockedge wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 3:11 pm

To everyone: IF you belong to the Community, you have contributed and get a credit. Thank you for all of it :thumbup:

IMO missing acknowledgement of contributions is only part of a bigger problem, which is this divide between the woof-CE project and they way people actually use woof-CE for "one-off" creations, without upstreaming their changes into woof-CE (or, at least, trying to) and making their work available in a form that makes collaboration easy by sharing the "means of production" (= their modified woof-CE).

(Nothing against @pp4mnklinux, @radky or @rockedge in particular, but this case of a Puppy based on another Puppy built with this "closed source" methodology, adding more and more layers of "secret sauce", really stands out to me as someone who cares about Puppy's maintainability and sustainability)

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

@rockedge CLAP, CLAP, CLAP. :thumbup2:

Linux Spirit At Maximum Level.-

The best explanation in years, I had this idea but I can't had explained it so well.

There are many many people who over the years have added to Puppy Linux in diverse ways and varying amounts. From bug reports to feature rquests to the thousands of solutions that make Puppy Linux what "it" is today and in the future.

To everyone: IF you belong to the Community, you have contributed and get a credit. Thank you for all of it

AND FOR SURE.- "If you belong to the Community you have contributed and get a credit. THANK YOU FOR ALL OF IT"

You understood us, thanks .- viewtopic.php?p=86213#p86213

@dimkr Puppy based on another Puppy

Those are called "derivatives" and We incluided F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI as a Puppy Linux derivative because it is a variant of F96CE that has been modified in some way, changing the default settings and customizing the user interface.

There are many Puppy Linux derivatives, each with its own unique features and characteristics. For example, some derivatives are designed for specific purposes, such as multimedia production or scientific computing, while others are designed for specific hardware configurations, such as older or low-spec machines.

Some popular Puppy Linux derivatives include Fatdog64, which is designed for 64-bit systems and includes a variety of multimedia tools, and Slacko Puppy, which is based on the Slackware distribution and includes a lightweight desktop environment and a variety of software packages. Other popular Puppy Linux derivatives include Quirky, which includes experimental features and cutting-edge technology, and Lighthouse Puppy, which is designed to be used as a rescue and recovery tool.
(more info at viewforum.php?f=33 )

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Just to get back about the subject "run pulseaudio as ..." ;)
I was curious if other chromium based browsers than Slimjet have the same problem (audio not working) when pulseaudio runs as spot.
Seems to me that Slimjet must be an exception, with the default setting in XFCE_FUSILLI 4.4 (pulseaudio runs as spot) I tested running as root (with --no-sandbox option):
- Brave-browser
- Google-Chrome
- Ungoogled Chromium
With all of these, audio works, so.. really Slimjet IS an exception IMO.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@dimkr I agree with you that this is not the optimal approach and many of these recipes go in to derivatives and do not make it into the woof-CE code. This we'll have to improve upon. I for one will need to wade into the depths of woof-CE coding to actually add all the fixes, but F96-CE is a one off "bridge" to the upcoming fine-tuned and polished Jammypup recipe for woof-CE generation that will be or is being worked on.

As mentioned before, F96-CE is based on Focal Fossa so approaching EOL. So the efforts to develop the next gen Jammypup should go towards figuring out how to apply it to a woof-CE recipe.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@fredx181 the sound works for me on all those browsers mentioned, plus Palemoon and Firefox with Opera also playing audio.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

rockedge wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:50 pm

@fredx181 the sound works for me on all those browsers mentioned, plus Palemoon and Firefox with Opera also playing audio.

Now... what a welth :o :shock: :D

Return to “F96CE-XFCE-FUSILLI”