Adding a menu entry for GRUB

Moderator: Forum moderators

Jasper

Adding a menu entry for GRUB

Post by Jasper »

Unsure as where to post this as the application has already been compiled and also downloaded the official pre-compiled binaries.

As shown in the thumbnail, MemTest86+ has *.efi files available to use for 32/64bit cpu's and EFI/UEFI BIOSes.

GRUB does not auto-configure itself, so can someone show/explain to me how to add an entry in order that the Menu screen displays this application?

TIA

user1234

Re: Adding a menu entry for GRUB

Post by user1234 »

I don't particularly know of a solution for adding the MemTest menu item itself, but I can guide you on how to add a new menu entry.

FIrstly, you will see here in your grub configuration the line saying menuentry "Puppy fossapup64 9.5" {, you will have to add a same one for MemTest. For example, your file may look something like this after editing:-

Code: Select all

menuentry "Puppy fossapup64 9.5" {
    [bunch of stuff]
}

menuentry "MemTest" {
}

Note: The text inside the 'double-inverted commas' is the name for the menu entry. You may even change the name of your current menu entry for fossapup :thumbup2:.

Secondly, there must be something inside the menuentry "MemTest" as well, just like menuenrty "Puppy fossapup64 9.5" has (I mean inside the curly brackets of that menu item). I've understood them as some sort of commands, but don't know which specific command may need to be put in here.

I'll try searching it on my own Ubuntu laptop and update you if I find a "MemTest" menu entry in this grub configuration file.

EDIT: I searched my system and did find a menu entry in Kubuntu for "MemTest", but I don't think it might be of much use to you. I'm afraid you'll have to search for it yourself, unless someone else helps you :oops: (and I believe that someone will :thumbup:, this forum's members are always there to help you).

PuppyLinux 🐾 gives new life to old computers ✨

Jasper

Re: Adding a menu entry for GRUB

Post by Jasper »

@user1234

I guessed it would need an entry but as you say I am unsure as how to invoke the *.efi file once selected in the menu :oops:

Return to “Compiling”