DWService - a simple-to-use, simple-to-run remote desktop app.....you operate it thru a browser!

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

DWService - a simple-to-use, simple-to-run remote desktop app.....you operate it thru a browser!

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, gang.

I mentioned this amongst a list of available remote desktop apps on the old Murga forum, a few years ago:-

https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=116395

I always liked the look of it, but was never able to try it out due to ye anciente Inspiron's woeful lack of processing power. The Compaq desktop had enough of it, but there was nothing else in the house I could connect to/with.

So....

Fast-forward a few years. The HP desktop has MUCH more processing power.....and now I have a decent second machine that can hold its own (the 'new' Dell Latitude; Core2Duo-powered with 4 GB RAM and an SSD, plus Nvidia Quadro graphics. But, I digress...)

We haven't had the use of TeamViewer for a few years now, 'cos the Qt5-powered current version will start in the background, but refuses to show its GUI. So you cannot in fact control it. (NOT for want of trying, trust me!)

I've never really got on with Anydesk, though there again, it's going to get a trial again soon now I have two useable machines.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been looking at NoMachine recently, but it's a complete pain in the behind. The .deb won't even install, and the tarball is hopeless; in both cases, the thing is looking for an 'official' ID string only to be found in a handful of well-known 'mainstream' distros.....primarily Debian, Ubuntu, Manjaro, Fedora & OpenSuse. If it doesn't 'see' this string, the installer point-blank refuses to run, and nothing you can do will persuade it to co-operate.

In all honesty, the thing seems designed for enterprise. From the documentation, there's a million and one alternative options, and nothing is easy to find. To me, it all seems designed to appeal to IT departments and uber-geeks!

------------------------------------------------

And then, I was browsing through my personal software archives, and came across some old stuff to do with DWService. It's a piece of cake to use; you visit their website:-

https://www.dwservice.net/

.....and download a script. That's all there is to it. Make it executable, and run it. It downloads a chunk of code that then sets-up and connects you to their servers, and generates a one-time user-ID and password.

This script needs to be run on ANY machine you want to connect to & control. This is what they refer to as the "agent". The current version now gives the option for unattended access..... no need for the 'request' to be 'accepted' at t'other end before it'll connect.

I thought this was arch-independent - earlier versions seemed to be - but trying to run this script on 32-bit machines now produces SSL errors and complaints about something 'hinky' with Python. 64-bitzers from Xenialpup64 onwards have no problems with it.....Tahr64 is, of course, just TOO old for nearly everything now.

Quite how the hell a script can be arch-dependent I don't understand, but it's one of these that won't in fact show in Geany.....and 'Properties', although it refers to Bash, also refers to 'binary data'. Probably like Nvidia's .run files; you can't read those, either. Which I guess must make this closed-source. :evil:

I can live with that. Some of you may feel differently about this, but then TeamViewer, AnyDesk and Nomachine are all proprietary too, so..... :lol:

(*shrug*)

------------------------------------------------

Having generated the user ID & password on the 'server' (for want of a better description!), this info needs to be entered into the log-in box on the website of the 'client'. Sign-in.....and the magic begins to happen. Watch the 'Overview' on the website for some idea of how to run it. If you need clarification of any aspects of operation, they've got their own YouTube channel, with a ton of short vids to clearly explain how to "do" stuff:-

https://www.youtube.com/c/DWService

-------------------------------------------------

In my short experience so far, this thing works very, very well indeed......and is so simple-to-use, I reckon even the village idiot could use it without breaking a sweat. It really is that easy; I spent an hour doing stuff on the HP, controlling it from the Latitude.

ONE TIP:- when the GUI shows up on the screen, you get two options; 'Install', or 'Run'. There's nothing to install - just the script - so use it as a portable-app, select 'Run' and go for it straight-away. If you choose to install, all it does is to stick the script inside a directory in /use/share; it doesn't tell you this, and you have to hunt around to find it. There's no Menu entry or anything, so you may as well stick it in /root, or my-applications/bin, and just drag it onto the desktop to launch it. That's all I've done.

No need for cumbersome client & server software, no need for complex configurations......the 'magic' is all handled by their servers. All ya do is click on a script, jot two numbers down, then visit a website where you enter those two numbers and hit 'OK'.

What could be simpler? And because it runs over the 'net, makes no difference if the two machines are in the same house or 5,000 miles apart. It'll still work just the same (might be a bit more 'laggy' if any distance is involved, I suppose).

Anyroad; there ya go. Simple remote desktop control for every man & his dog...! :D

Recommended.

---------------------------

I've put together a portable build for this, if anybody's interested. It's packed as a 'no-arch' ROX-app, so will run on Puppies of either stripe, certainly as far back as 5-series Slacko 5.6.0. You can find it here:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/09xm8o ... te+Desktop

If you right-click->Look inside, you'll find the usual Menu-entry scripts. Or, just run it as a ROX-app...

....and the usual caveats apply for how to use it.

Hope it's useful to some of you. :D

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikewalsh

Re: DWService - a simple-to-use, simple-to-run remote desktop app.....you operate it thru a browser!

Post by mikewalsh »

Frankly, after experimenting with the older, previous script AND the newer, current script, I've come to the conclusion that the older one is more versatile. The current one will only work with a handful of up-to-date 64-bit Puppies, whereas the older one will function with 32- and 64-bitzers alike.....certainly as far back as Tahrpup.

The older script is quite a bit bigger than the current one; around 10 MB as opposed to around 1.5 MB for the current script. The older one is also "unattended access" by default.....the newer one lets you choose between this OR needing to be 'accepted' at t'other end.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I've made up the older script into a ROX-app. Anybody interested in this, you can find it linked above, in post #1.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Geek3579

Re: DWService - a simple-to-use, simple-to-run remote desktop app.....you operate it thru a browser!

Post by Geek3579 »

I have tried both versions in Fossapup64 and when launched in a terminal , all I get is a flash of terminal and then its gone. Nothing else ???

have I missed something...run-as-spot, face the E-W meridian, clean my teeth???

Return to “Network”